Main Seal Leak? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jan 10th, 2007, 2:52 pm Thread Starter

Main Seal Leak?

I had an oil leak that I noticed in November that turned out to be the main seal. I had the clutch replaced and all of the seals (main, trans, slave cylinder and maybe more, I told them to replace all while it was disassembled).

Now, just over a month and 750 miles later, I have the same leak at the engine/clutch housing joint and the clutch seems to be lacking in the crispness that the new clutch exhibited such a short time ago.

I'm not paying for this again. I'll let you know what the dealer does to step up and honor the repair warranty.

Bob Chapman
Virginia
2000 K12LT
1978 CB750A (Automatic Cafe Racer Ratbike)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jan 10th, 2007, 3:45 pm

Take it back to the dealer. All parts have a 2 year warranty on them, so you won't be paying for parts. You may be out some for service, but at 750 miles I would hope the dealer would just do it again, with embarassment written all over the service departments faces.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #3 of 4 Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 10:09 am

Re: Main Seal Leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob204bc
I had an oil leak that I noticed in November that turned out to be the main seal. I had the clutch replaced and all of the seals (main, trans, slave cylinder and maybe more, I told them to replace all while it was disassembled).

Now, just over a month and 750 miles later, I have the same leak at the engine/clutch housing joint and the clutch seems to be lacking in the crispness that the new clutch exhibited such a short time ago.

I'm not paying for this again. I'll let you know what the dealer does to step up and honor the repair warranty.
I've got an '01 with 55k on the odometer, most of the miles in the last 3 years after I purchased the bike. Its been leaking for about 2 months. While in the shop for other work, I asked them to look at it, they think it is the rear main seal and have given me an estimate of $1,100. I was searching the here for other's experience.

While they are in there, I'm considering doing some other preventive replacements. Slave cylinder seals and clutch are potentials. Any idea as to how long these have been lasting from the '01 builds of the LT?

Thanks in advance.

Tom Haycraft
Round Rock, TX

2001 K1200LT - Champagne (2004 - 2010 / R.I.P.)
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue (2010 - )

post #4 of 4 Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 11:00 am

Talking Re: Main Seal Leak?

The two year warranty is a good thing! And it worked up here in the Northwest just recently for me. I had a Slave cylinder replaced a little over 22 months ago when the dealer went in to replace my leaking Rear Main Seal under the last of my extended warranty for my LT. I specifically requested that they replace the Slave cylinder even though there was no evidence of leakage from it at that time as a preventive measure since I had over 50K miles on the Bike then. They also replaced all the X-msn seals while they were in there along with drilling weep holes at my request,

So when my clutch started acting up a couple of weeks ago, and ultimately lost all pressure so that there was no dis-engaging, I sent it right back to them. They did in fact find that the cause of the pressure loss was the Slave cylinder, and went ahead and replaced it at zero dollars under the BMW warranty. All parts & labor were covered 100%!

One happy rider is now back on two wheels!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in