7Likes
  • 2 Post By Voyager
  • 3 Post By Wazza
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 8:32 am Thread Starter

Main seal

Last May I started on changing the main seal on my 2006 LT. I work a lot so don't get much time to work on it but I took this week off to finish it.
I got it all back together and put fresh engine oil Wednesday, I was waiting for my new oxygen sensor to come in and it arrived yesterday.
I was installing it late last night and noticed oil dripping from clutch housing. I guess I messed something up, must not of got main seal in properly..ugh so disappointed I'm ready to push my LT off a cliff. ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 9:35 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Main seal

You did replace the 19x4 o-ring as well on the output shaft I hope. As long as that mail seal was flush with the rear face it should have been OK. I certainly understand your frustration. That seal is driven in wet but the internal lip is dry. If it was installed wet it may seep awhile before it seals up good. You will need to run the engine to be sure. Worth a shot.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 9:57 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy F View Post
Last May I started on changing the main seal on my 2006 LT. I work a lot so don't get much time to work on it but I took this week off to finish it.
I got it all back together and put fresh engine oil Wednesday, I was waiting for my new oxygen sensor to come in and it arrived yesterday.
I was installing it late last night and noticed oil dripping from clutch housing. I guess I messed something up, must not of got main seal in properly..ugh so disappointed I'm ready to push my LT off a cliff. ...
I think most of us who work on our LTs have had at least one “cliff” moment. I have had several. John makes a good point about the main seal being installed dry. That is the advice with most teflon seal as they seal best when a thin layer of teflon can be transferred from the seal to the dry shaft at first start. If installed with an oiled lip, they are known to seep for a long time and sometimes forever. Sort of like getting a newly rebuilt engine too hot and glazing the bore.

I would think the more likely source of the leak might be the o-ring. Did you install a new one and install it per the service manual? Most of us have used an aftermarket o-ring made of viton.
Patric and beech like this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 2:07 pm Thread Starter

No I got my Oring from Bmw I didn't know about the Viton till after I did it. I did lubricate seal before installing though.
post #5 of 17 Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 2:47 pm

Quote:
No I got my Oring from Bmw I didn't know about the Viton till after I did it. I did lubricate seal before installing though.
Where did you get your rear main seal from? No profile information letting us know where you are. Which picture did it look like? Want to make sure you got a pre-formed seal and not the old non formed ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Main.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	150567   Click image for larger version

Name:	050147104-50-80-10-01.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	670.9 KB
ID:	150569  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

Last edited by bmwcoolk1200; Mar 22nd, 2019 at 2:57 pm.
post #6 of 17 Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 3:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
If you lubed the lip of the main seal, that may be why you have seepage. Maybe it will run in as John said. Worth a try before tearing it down again.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #7 of 17 Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 6:35 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
The stock o-ring is OK it will just get hard sooner and leak. The outer surface of the rear main should be oiled lightly as it is rubber but the inner lip is teflon and should be dry when you insert the clutch housing. Hope it does stop seeping for you.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #8 of 17 Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 7:39 pm Thread Starter

I appreciate the comments, I got seal from BMW here in KC. I think seal was tapered, I will finish putting it together so I can start it and see if leak stops. I never thought of that but not very optimistic at this point. Start back to work tomorrow and had to replace daughter's transmission seal today so not sure when I'll get her running.
post #9 of 17 Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 8:57 pm

There is one thing that many people forget to look at when doing seal replacements and that is the condition of the surface that a seal runs on. Quite often the seal will wear a groove in the shaft that it runs on thereby making the new seal far less effective than it should be. If you ever find this when you inspect the shaft you will probably think that the shaft will need to be replaced as well. Ideally yes that is true but there is a product called Speedy Sleave which is a very thin tube of metal that is fitted over the area where the wear on the shaft is. The seal of course is then a tighter fit but is a very effective and cheap way of fixing that leak. I have used this product many times over the years on various types of machinery gearboxes that I work on.
I highly recommend that if you need to go back in there to check the seal surface of the shaft itself.
sailor, beech and feelergaugephil like this.
post #10 of 17 Old Jul 9th, 2019, 11:04 pm Thread Starter

Well I finally got her torn down again and this is what I found on new seal I replaced. I have no idea how the seal got damaged this bad on installing it but now I know why it was leaking. Ugh
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190705_220647_1562731058955.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	656.7 KB
ID:	153277  
post #11 of 17 Old Jul 10th, 2019, 8:19 am

Quote:
Well I finally got her torn down again and this is what I found on new seal I replaced. I have no idea how the seal got damaged this bad on installing it but now I know why it was leaking. Ugh
You have to be careful when sliding the clutch housing into the seal. It also looks like the new seal you installed may be set a little too deep? Is it flush with the housing or is it recessed some? The proper tool will not allow it to be driven past the housing surface. My feeling is that the clutch housing caught the seal lip when being inserted and tore the seal apart. When you get the new seal, make sure it slides over the clutch housing with both off the bike. Leave it on the housing until you are ready to install it. Drive the seal only till it is flush with the engine housing and then work the clutch housing in.

The old style seals were flat and had to be pre-molded by hand to curve the lip before installing or they would tear apart. The new pre-molded lip seals are supposed to not require any pre-molding but making sure it fits over the clutch housing will also help to keep it from shredding on install. Yours is the first of the new seals I have heard of having this issue.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #12 of 17 Old Jul 10th, 2019, 9:16 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
You have to be careful when sliding the clutch housing into the seal. It also looks like the new seal you installed may be set a little too deep? Is it flush with the housing or is it recessed some? The proper tool will not allow it to be driven past the housing surface. My feeling is that the clutch housing caught the seal lip when being inserted and tore the seal apart. When you get the new seal, make sure it slides over the clutch housing with both off the bike. Leave it on the housing until you are ready to install it. Drive the seal only till it is flush with the engine housing and then work the clutch housing in.

The old style seals were flat and had to be pre-molded by hand to curve the lip before installing or they would tear apart. The new pre-molded lip seals are supposed to not require any pre-molding but making sure it fits over the clutch housing will also help to keep it from shredding on install. Yours is the first of the new seals I have heard of having this issue.
And to add to Gordon’s recommendation, the teflon seals are to be installed dry. This seems odd as very other seal known to man should be oiled before sliding over the shaft, but my understanding is that the teflon seals work by transferring a thin layer off teflon from the seal to the shaft during the initial operation before the oil gets to it. If you oil the shaft or seal during installation, this prevents the teflon transfer and shortens the life of the seal.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #13 of 17 Old Jul 10th, 2019, 10:27 am Thread Starter

I'll try it again as soon as I get a new seal and I want to order one of those better orings. And this time I'm definitely putting oil back in the engine before I put clutch and everything back on too see if it leaks.
Thanks I appreciate all the information cause I'm eventually going to get this baby running again. It's become challenge that I will not give in and take it some where to get fixed its personal now..My wife and daughters think I'll never get her running again...ha I got this
post #14 of 17 Old Jul 10th, 2019, 10:31 am

Quote:
I'll try it again as soon as I get a new seal and I want to order one of those better orings. And this time I'm definitely putting oil back in the engine before I put clutch and everything back on too see if it leaks.
Thanks I appreciate all the information cause I'm eventually going to get this baby running again. It's become challenge that I will not give in and take it some where to get fixed its personal now..My wife and daughters think I'll never get her running again...ha I got this
Where do you live? If you are in the US, send me a PM with your address and I will send you one of those Viton O-rings no charge. You have 19 posts so you should be able to send a PM now.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #15 of 17 Old Jul 10th, 2019, 5:12 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Gordon is correct though the original seal in the photo is driven too deep and that likely caused it to hit the bearing. I use a pipe flange larger than the seal to drive it flush.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CIMG5934.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	153301   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG5935.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	153303  
Zeke likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #16 of 17 Old Jul 10th, 2019, 7:57 pm

Viton O-ring on its way. Well deserved for having to go in twice.
Voyager likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #17 of 17 Old Jul 11th, 2019, 12:32 am

You have a viton oring coming I see, I also have a bag of them I send out for free. But along with that. I have Tools listed in Clymers and that includes a main seal driver that inserts it to factory depth. If you want the Kit, I'll send it tomorrow via USPS priority mail and you can send it back later with 17$ in it that covers my mailing it to you. beech
<snipesb(at)cnw.com>
The part that sucks besides the seal you now need all those parts that are one time use. Flywheel bolts, Main shaft nut come to mind.

Beech

I change your tires $40, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in