2009 Lt charging problem - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Mar 21st, 2019, 10:14 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs down 2009 Lt charging problem

'With bike running not getting any change in voltage at the battery. From your typical around 12 volts motor off to 13 to 14 engine running. Voltage continues to drop with motor running. You would expect bad alternator, right ? Battery load tested good. With no other way to test the alternator I can think of short of taking it out. I started the motor, dis-connected the negative battery cable, bike kept running which tells me the alternator is producing voltage ? What am I missing here ? Bad battery ? Even though it tested good. Dead short in it maybe ? Is there some residual voltage in the system somewhere that would allow the motor to run with no battery or current from the alternator ?? (stupid question) I'm baffled. Would really appreciate some help here to avoid the hours of labor to get the alternator out. To find maybe, Its not the problem ? Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 9:40 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: 2009 Lt charging problem

Is the red battery light on in the dash? Even if it is not it may be the connector on the thin blue wire going to the alternator. Mine was showing wild voltage swings on my voltmeter I have in the dash. I pulled the blue wire off and cleaned the connector and tightened it a bit. When I pushed it back on all was well again.

Also did this just start out of the blue or has there been some maintenance done recently?

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in