Unfortunately selling my LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By ebiss9
  • 1 Post By LarryJa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Mar 21st, 2019, 1:03 pm Thread Starter

Unfortunately selling my LT

At the end of my most recent ride, with my SO, I was stopped at a long light, waiting to make a left when the light changed. As I waited, my legs got very, very stressed, holding the bike upright w/ the pretty lady on the back. Isabelle is tall, but fairly petite(125-130 lbs).
I knew that, as I aged, I'd get weaker, but not so soon(68).
I have also noticed that I'm worn after riding 75miles or so.
So, I'm not able to 2up tour, as I bought this bike for.
It's time to downsize the bike.

I had craved this bike for 15yrs, since I first test rode on. I had an '84 Venture back then, & knew this was the technological advance for me. A lot has happened since then, but I got this LT about 18mo ago.

It was the absolute best early LT that I could find within 200miles, at that time. Since then, this forum & Kirk Johnson have helped me to maintain & update the bike just to my likings.

Unfortunately, my body is not coming along quite as well as I'd like.

So, it's sadly time to downsize my bike. I've already picked up a 2013 Triumph Trophy SE, to ease my ego. It's a great bike, but it'll never have the image or reputation of the LT. I had thought about getting a k1200gt. They are lighter & handle easier. but still have the dry clutch & little steering feedback. So, the SE will be my ride for a while, even though it has no where near the support network of the LT.

So, sadly I've listed my LT in classifieds & the local CL. I think I'll be selling the set of hypro springs & the nice set of ohlins, that I had planned to put on over the winter, separately.

This forum & the many, many who have guided & advised me will be missed, as I wish you all well.

Sometimes, aging sucks.

A good man once told me, "Don't ever get rid of your bike. It's your soul."

'06 Audi A6 3.2, "Beauty"
'00 BMW k1200LT, "Kitty"
'82 Suzuki GS1100GK, "Medussa(evil)"
'80 Suzuki GS1000G, "Penny",

Gone, but sorely missed
'77 Yam XS750-2D, "Loretta"
'84 Yam Venture, "the Polish Pony"
'73 Porsche 911T Targa(mechanical injection)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Mar 21st, 2019, 5:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Re: Unfortunately selling my LT

I seem to have the same aging problem as you and everyone else. Along with it the lack of super human strength I once had. Mine was just evident at an earlier age! The first 6 years I owned the LT seemed to be no problem with its weight. As time went on I would often think "man this LT must be gaining weight" rather than me getting weaker! The wife and I love the LT so much for traveling I just couldn't part with it and converted over to the trike. My shorter forays of usually 3 days or less are most often done on my RT but for longer trips you just can't beat the LT…….IMO
Voyager likes this.

Rob Sprague
Vineland, NJ
2009 BMW R1200RT Metallic Black
2006 BMW K1200LT/2012 Hannigan Trike Magnesium Black
2004 BMW K1200GT Orient Blue

"Money talks...but all mine ever says is good-bye."

"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts
not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert
the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
post #3 of 7 Old Mar 28th, 2019, 8:33 pm Thread Starter

Sold the LT to a nice guy, locally. One of the things that I emphasized to him is to register on this site, & make good use of it. I have had no bike that has a better support network, including this forum, than the LT.
I am riding the LT over to his home tomorrow, & turning it's ownership over to him.
So, I expect that all of you will be hearing from my LT's new owner in the near future.
Meanwhile, I'll still be around here too...
saddleman likes this.

A good man once told me, "Don't ever get rid of your bike. It's your soul."

'06 Audi A6 3.2, "Beauty"
'00 BMW k1200LT, "Kitty"
'82 Suzuki GS1100GK, "Medussa(evil)"
'80 Suzuki GS1000G, "Penny",

Gone, but sorely missed
'77 Yam XS750-2D, "Loretta"
'84 Yam Venture, "the Polish Pony"
'73 Porsche 911T Targa(mechanical injection)

post #4 of 7 Old Mar 29th, 2019, 3:59 pm

Garage

via con dios !!!
post #5 of 7 Old Mar 29th, 2019, 4:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

As I've read in BMW ON magazine about the virtues of strength training as we age (myself a spry 64, lol), I have embraced that thought/mandate to be able, year after year, to stay healthy and fit to do the things, and I did say things, plural, that I love. I feel very fortuanate to still be able to manage the bike(s), but also have put in a decent amount of time for physical upkeep. I'm certainly overweight, under-limber and all that goes with aging, so I'm not taking a stand on a soapbox, but just throwing out a reminder to all of us that enjoy the K1200LT, that being physically fit allows us to follow our passion.

Have fun,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #6 of 7 Old Mar 29th, 2019, 5:04 pm

Garage

All I disagree with is that this is limited to the LT. We are all getting older, at some point even a R1200R will be too heavy. I see myself someday as the old, wrinkled guy on the two-fifty scooter. But, with hard work, we can delay that time. Besides the bike the exercise makes me feel better and makes my life better, being able to play with a (pseudo) grandkid even more important than riding for me. YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt View Post
As I've read in BMW ON magazine about the virtues of strength training as we age (myself a spry 64, lol), I have embraced that thought/mandate to be able, year after year, to stay healthy and fit to do the things, and I did say things, plural, that I love. I feel very fortuanate to still be able to manage the bike(s), but also have put in a decent amount of time for physical upkeep. I'm certainly overweight, under-limber and all that goes with aging, so I'm not taking a stand on a soapbox, but just throwing out a reminder to all of us that enjoy the K1200LT, that being physically fit allows us to follow our passion.

Have fun,
Jer

Livin' the good life in my little home by the sea.

post #7 of 7 Old Mar 29th, 2019, 8:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Other than this is an LT forum... I do mention bike(s). All mine are full fairing bikes. Agreed, all will become too heavy. Good topic to think about.

Have fun,
Jer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose11 View Post
All I disagree with is that this is limited to the LT. We are all getting older, at some point even a R1200R will be too heavy. I see myself someday as the old, wrinkled guy on the two-fifty scooter. But, with hard work, we can delay that time. Besides the bike the exercise makes me feel better and makes my life better, being able to play with a (pseudo) grandkid even more important than riding for me. YMMV

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in