Windshield Cleaner - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Jan 10th, 2007, 9:36 am Thread Starter

Windshield Cleaner

Does anyone know anything about the windshield cleaner that is touted on this website? http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...ish/all-kleer/. It sounds good , but I noticed that it contains alcohol.

Bob Schrader
Wentzville, Mo.
'00LTC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Jan 10th, 2007, 9:42 am

I've been using Plexus (available from most aircraft supplies shops) since I got my bike in June 2005, and am very pleased with it.

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old Jan 10th, 2007, 11:06 am

I just called Blacklab (the makers of All-Kleer) and talked to the saleman. He said that the Kleer Chrome will be ready next week and he's going to put a package together for me of a bottle of All-Kleer and a bottle of Kleer Chrome. I don't know how much it'll cost, yet, but I'll write it all up when I get to use them. The chrome/aluminum polish will get a real workout because I was just given an '82 Suzuki GS550 that has some sad looking engine cases. Also, I just got another engine block (spare) for my R100RT and I'll test it out on that too.

Robin

Robin
Augusta, GA
2002 K1200LT Purple (Mauve)
83 R100RT

post #4 of 19 Old Jan 10th, 2007, 12:51 pm

My favorite windshield cleaner...

'06 K1200LT Ocean Blue Metallic
'06 GL1800 Candy Black Cherry
Recovering Harley Rider

42 41.663' N / 73 38.651' W

post #5 of 19 Old Jan 10th, 2007, 2:50 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Cleaning the Screen

I'll second Plexus. Soften the bugs first, use a wet towel and luke warm water if available. Do not use paper towel products or any solvents. I use Micro fiber cloths. After cleaning and drying, a spray with Plexus both sides rubbed off with a micro cloth works a treat.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #6 of 19 Old Jan 10th, 2007, 3:15 pm

I prefer Plexus on the windshield but have used Lemon Pledge. Pledge is cheaper and you can always find it on sale... But with either if you have water to loosen the dried stuff first it's easier on the plastic. If it chrome, aluminum or other metals you want to polish, try White Diamond multi-metal polish I got a bottle of this stuff in Daytona several years ago. For metal this stuff is great!

http://www.whitediamondpolish.com/product.html

Mike
06 K1200 LT
01 Corvette Conv (RED)
BMWMOA # 128948
IBA #19196
post #7 of 19 Old Jan 10th, 2007, 3:19 pm

Smile Windscreen Cleaner

This is what I do. Clean windscreen with protectall wash and then put on a coat of carnuba wax. Works for me.
post #8 of 19 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 7:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
he's going to put a package together for me of a bottle of All-Kleer and a bottle of Kleer Chrome.
For the windshield ??????

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #9 of 19 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 9:01 am

The Honda spray cleaner also works good on the bugs. Cleans the rest of the bike pretty well also.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #10 of 19 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 9:40 am

I'm with Bibleman. I'm pretty sure there is a warning in my owners manual to use nothing but H2O on the windshield. Anything else will eventually eat away at the protective coating.

Tim Frederick
Woodbury, MN
post #11 of 19 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 10:58 am

Windshield Cleaner

I used Plexis on a stock BMW windshield and it caused fogging. Serious fogging. I used hot water to remove it and use nothing but hot water and micro fiber cloths. Plexis works great on the HD windshield. They must be different materials or have different coatings.

Ultra LT

Riding is Life. All else is just waiting.
post #12 of 19 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 12:33 pm

My '02 windshield was replaced under warranty after it delaminated. The service manager insisted that I must have done something inconsistent with BMW recommendations. When I mentioned using Plexus he said that's what did it. He wasn't going to authorize the replacement at that point. I then asked why the dealership themselves were selling Plexus for that very purpose. He immediately went over to the parts counter and said something about the Plexus, came back to me and said that they were going to do the replacement. I've used nothing but hot water since and not had any issues.

Peter Tessin
2002 Champagne
post #13 of 19 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 3:30 pm

I would advise anyone that uses Plexus on a 'standard' LT windscreen to use caution. There have been numerous posts both pro and con for Plexus. It is really dependant on where garage and where you ride. Plexus usage seems to give lots of people 'fogging' issues. The general consensus was that using Plexus traps moisture under the scratch cover and the only successful cure has been straight denatured alcohol application on the entire windscreen. That seems to 'dry' out the moisture.

I had the problem when I first got the LT. I'll admit Plexus works great but eventually I found it was the source of my windscreen fogging issues.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #14 of 19 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 3:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
I would advise anyone that uses Plexus on a 'standard' LT windscreen to use caution. There have been numerous posts both pro and con for Plexus.
19 months so far, and not a problem using it 1-2 times per week, during the riding season.

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #15 of 19 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 3:50 pm

I have a Cee Bailey's and Plexus it regularly. At times when I go to ride home at night, particularly later in the evening, when it gets cooler, the shield is dripping in condensation/fog. It is very heavy and takes miles to get off. I had the same problem with my old HD shield. But I can't remember what I cleaned that with.

Is this the fogging issue that folks speak of, or just normal condensation/dew?
post #16 of 19 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 5:30 pm
Super Moderator

Cool Windshield and water

My experience is as follows for stock BMW windshields:

1. The Windshield has thin layers of film bonded to both sides via an adhesive. Using anthing other than water produces results that are less than predictable for the long term. No product, other than water, performs consistently all the time - as others have indicated and stated. Some work some don't.

2. As the windshield ages it takes on a fogging effect (the plastisers and other chemical agents leach out along with uv aging and other clarity agents are reduced as well) - then the windshield starts to trap moisture either in the film, in the adhesive layer or in the windshield directly. Using IPA (isopropoal alcohol) at most any concentration (IPA and water) helps dryout the outer film and draws the moisture out reducing the fogging. When applying IPA make sure you wait for the process to defog as it takes a little time. The ability to defog is different depending upon where you store your bike, where you ride and where you live. I would say people in Denver and mountain states have less of an issue but if your in the deep south you have different ambient conditions and will get different results.

3. The four other clear plastic components (side deflectors fixed and side deflectors that rotate) are different materials and you can apply just about anything you want to these - wax em, plexiglass, car wax, WD40 - with almost no issue.

My 2 cents . . .

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #17 of 19 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 10:52 pm
Cat Herder

Garage
Smile Plexus makes me fog - but I still use it

Living in the desert I don't have a problem with the shield fogging so I like using Plexus because it helps to get the bugs off, BUT if I go to the coast were it is humid the shield will fog from the Plexus. So I sometime wash it off with hot water and a little soap and all is good.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #18 of 19 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 11:05 pm

Warped Humor

I usually use coca-cola on the windhsield. I let is set in over night. I also leave a a couple of bologne slices on their over night for good measure! Good luck!

I still use Brilianize (spelling ?) there are some other offer brands that look similiar to that product, But I have not tested them. I am happy with the Brilianize products and it works great out here in the NW!!!
post #19 of 19 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 7:31 am

WATER - Nothing but water

Windshield is going on 3+ years and 26,000 miles with no fogging. If it is really dirty with bugs, then I simply soak a rag and let it sit for about 15 minutes. EVERYTHING wipes off and except for a few small scratches, it's in great shape. It is not necessary to use anything else or spend the money for commercial cleaners. A waste of money and does no good for the environment.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in