MPG down - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Mar 17th, 2019, 6:07 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy MPG down

Hi everyone...

A short question on gas mileage.
Perhaps my style of driving has change some, but not that big of a change to increase gas consumption....

I ride a 1200kLT 2003 with 113000 miles. Runs great but in the last few thousand miles, the MPG went down from 44MPG to 38MPG.
Should i replace the pugs. Only 8000 miles on them...
Should i replace the air filter??? 8000 miles on it?
Should I replace the oxygen sensor....I was told that either it work or it doesn't??
any other issues i should look into??

Any ideas or recommendations as to what could be the cause would be welcome.
Thank you.

Jean-Noel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Mar 17th, 2019, 6:10 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: MPG down

If you are using the same fuel I would look at the O2 sensor as that will have a great effect on MPG. usually we see it go from the high 40's to the low 30's when it does go bad. Napa part BSH15109 has the correct connector.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 6:46 am

I've noticed that the computer on my '03 is giving me bad MPG readings.....I't off between 5-6 MPG, Is this fixable? does a reboot of computer remedy?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
__________________________________________________ _________
John aka Frank Nitti

2003 K1200LT-E
1993 HD Fatboy...Gone, But not Forgotten
2000 Honda Gold Wing/Motor Trike Conv.
MOA #186960

Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me; I want people to know 'why' I look this way.
I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.
Will Rogers

post #4 of 7 Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 9:57 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNitti View Post
I've noticed that the computer on my '03 is giving me bad MPG readings.....I't off between 5-6 MPG, Is this fixable? does a reboot of computer remedy?
Ask and ye shall receive:

Yes. The procedure is as follows (thanks to Paul Ford):
To adjust the MPG readout on the BC, do the following:

1) Divide the displayed MPG value by the actual MPG value, then multiply by 1000. For example, 48 MPG divided by 55 MPG = 0.872 x 1000 = 872. Remember this number. (Editor's note: You might want to run a few tanks through resetting the BC only on the first tank but measuring actual MPG by hand for each tank to get a good average.)

2) Press the reset and mode buttons on the BC simultaneously, then release. (Editor's note: do this with the ignition ON.) The BC will display '01'.

3) Use the BC button on the right hand control switch to scroll through the four test screens. Stop when '03' is displayed and then press the reset button. WARNING: Watch the screen carefully at this point! As soon as you press 'reset', look for the very first number displayed. This is the current MPG calibration factor but it's only displayed for a second before the number starts to count up. The OEM setting is usually 1000 (no calibration) but it might not be and you may wish to return to the original number if you're not happy with the results of this exercise. The number will begin to scroll, starting with the current setting, up to 1250. It will then begin again at 750 and continue up. When this number reaches the number closest to the number that you remembered from step 1), press the reset button again. That will reset the calibration factor for your display.

The other three test screens will not do anything.

Note this only works on 99-2004 BCs.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #5 of 7 Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 10:09 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post

1) Divide the displayed MPG value by the actual MPG value, then multiply by 1000. For example, 48 MPG divided by 55 MPG = 0.872 x 1000 = 872. Remember this number. (Editor's note: You might want to run a few tanks through resetting the BC only on the first tank but measuring actual MPG by hand for each tank to get a good average.)

2) Press the reset and mode buttons on the BC simultaneously, then release. (Editor's note: do this with the ignition ON.) The BC will display '01'.

3) Use the BC button on the right hand control switch to scroll through the four test screens. Stop when '03' is displayed and then press the reset button. WARNING: Watch the screen carefully at this point! As soon as you press 'reset', look for the very first number displayed. This is the current MPG calibration factor but it's only displayed for a second before the number starts to count up. The OEM setting is usually 1000 (no calibration) but it might not be and you may wish to return to the original number if you're not happy with the results of this exercise. The number will begin to scroll, starting with the current setting, up to 1250. It will then begin again at 750 and continue up. When this number reaches the number closest to the number that you remembered from step 1), press the reset button again. That will reset the calibration factor for your display.

Is there a similar procedure for the later models? Fortunately, my LT cam pretty well calibrated from the factory. It is within 1 MPG of calculated and reads on the low side. I often will have 47 MPG on the computer for a tank and when I add the data to my spreadsheet I generally get something in the 47.5 to 48.5 range. So, not bad.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #6 of 7 Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 10:15 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Nope. We do not have an independent "reset" button or it might work. You just hold the BC mode button to perform a reset, kind of negates holding the mode button while you press reset.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #7 of 7 Old Mar 24th, 2019, 7:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post

Thanks John.......Got a tank full on board now but once that's gone I'll give your formula/reboot a try......I had already checked the actual MPG several times and it was between 47 to 47.7 and even with a reset of MPG it read around 41.5

__________________________________________________ _________
John aka Frank Nitti

2003 K1200LT-E
1993 HD Fatboy...Gone, But not Forgotten
2000 Honda Gold Wing/Motor Trike Conv.
MOA #186960

Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me; I want people to know 'why' I look this way.
I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.
Will Rogers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in