• 1 Post By Scimitar
  • 1 Post By feelergaugephil
  • 1 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Mar 15th, 2019, 11:05 pm Thread Starter

Garage
The ride...

So, I thought I would start a new thread from "Just switched over"
After all the hick ups and figuring out where I went wrong, I finally got some good miles on it now.
1st initial shock, was the smoke on start up, which I learned is normal, older Goldwings do it too.

Engine runs smooth, kinda weird not hearing the usual "jap clunk" into 1st gear... just a smile on my face...
Little ride over to my neighbours house (yep, I'm English, I spelt it the correct way......) who's an avid HD rider, I roll up on his grass and said hi!
1st mistake, don't show your new ride to a neighbour and drive on his grass, yep, back wheel sank to the rim... arghhhhhhh!
Then ask neighbour to push me backwards as I spin the back wheel in reverse!!!

Ride back home spraying mud all over rotor, fender, exhaust, etc etc.........
Realized at this time how heavy this couch is...... but yet comfy, I need a slot on handlebars for the TV remote... lolol.

Anyway, all legal now, lic plate, insurance, taxes paid, bike running good, decided to ride 300 miles....

So, I'm used to a Kawasaki Concours 1400 which to say the least aint no slouch, and has no chicken strips, I ride it like a 1400, not a 250 and get awful gas mileage because, again, its a 1400 not a slowped that I can brag I get 12k out of the back tyre,,,,,, (average 3k) so, I actually bought the LT to calm my riding.....

K, back to the 300 mile ride, 1st off, very, very comfortable, smooth ride, and relaxed riding position.
The windshield is something to get used too, but does totally amazing in the rain (yes it rained on my parade..... lol) I got very little wet, the wind deflectors are great.
Getting fuel is weird, having to remove the cap and find a place where it wont roll off somewhere like a 10mm socket...
Brakes! did I mention brakes!! totally impressed. when that servo kicks in, wow! defiantly love the feel.
Curves...... I'm still kinda learning the feel, I can throw it around quite a bit, but, I didn't buy it to haul azz and go crazy...
Horn! scares the hell outa me, lol, very loud, I did blow it a few times and people walking down the sidewalk and wave at them, total guaranteed to make then wave back and pull a strange face stating "who the hell is that???) try it, its fun.....

Power, to be truthful, thought the pick up would have been better, but, only mild complaint, very smooth, I guess I'm used to the 1400.
Weight, holy crapola, this couch is heavy, in slow traffic, I feel I'm driving a Peterbilt, once I move upto speed the weight issue goes away.

6 CD changer... OH YES!! Got me some Scorpions, Def Lepard, Styx and Roxette loaded,, Music heaven, loved the 4 speakers, not figured out how to turn off the loudness/volume going lower as I slow down, but did find bass/treble/fade and move to next CD.

This titanic of a bike, doesn't like wind, crossing over the Mississippi river bridge in Louisiana nearly made me poop, OMG, the side wind completely awakened my motorcycle senses, I'm thinking how do I jump off this thing if it gets blown over, Ive seen those youtube videos where the wind blows over 18 wheelers, I'm thinking please don't blow me over the bridge wall....

Electric centrestand, the bees knees, LOVE IT, defiantly a crowd puller....

Overall, yup, its growing on me, I do like it, looking forward to May, taking a week to tour Arkansas...
Thanks for reading guys. gals.
Patric and Ricky Chuck like this.

05 BMW K1200LT
13 Kawasaki Concours 1400
14 Kawasaki Teryx 4x4

Gone, but never forgotten:-
08 09 Conny 14
03 Honda Blackbird.
85 Suzuki GS1000
79 Yamaha RD50M (EDB 138T)
and countless others,

All engines built at Norfolk and Chance motors....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Mar 15th, 2019, 11:25 pm

Garage
Re: The ride...

Nice story! I am still getting used to it myself, weather has prevented many miles BUT I feel ya on the slow maneuvering...last bike was an 1150RT, not tiny but much lighter and I had no issues easing along trying to stay upright until the last minute, lol...I have decided not to try that with this one, lol, find a point and stop and plant feet now with wheel straight. I can tell you with experience you do not want to try to keep it up if it gets past a certain point unless you are big and young, lol. Even if you manage it you will be writing checks for several days. What part of Louisiana?

Oklahoma City, OK. 2003 K1200 LT. "Remember men, if the women don't find ya handsome, at least let 'em find ya handy." Red Green
post #3 of 8 Old Mar 15th, 2019, 11:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Maybe not all years have this, but my 07 has a holder for the gas cap. I donít think I have a picture, but there is a spear on the bottom of the cap that sticks into the hollow rubber holder under the fuel door. Quite handy.
Patric, mr1150gs and Ricky Chuck like this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old Mar 15th, 2019, 11:57 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If this link works, it will show you pictures.

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt...tml#post140155

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old Mar 16th, 2019, 1:23 am Thread Starter

Garage

. What part of Louisiana?[/QUOTE]

Baton Rouge.
Ricky Chuck likes this.

05 BMW K1200LT
14 Kawasaki Teryx 4x4

08 09 Conny 14
03 Honda Blackbird.
85 Suzuki GS1000
and countless others,

post #6 of 8 Old Mar 16th, 2019, 4:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelergaugephil View Post
Little ride over to my neighbours house (yep, I'm English, I spelt it the correct way......)
mud all over rotor, fender.
Fender? In the Queen's English? (It's a MUDGUARD)!
krazzz likes this.

Previous username - ajlelectronics
post #7 of 8 Old Mar 16th, 2019, 4:44 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
Fender? In the Queen's English? (It's a MUDGUARD)!
I would confuse most if I went full English, lol, I nearly wrote pavement instead of sidewalk.....
Scimitar likes this.

05 BMW K1200LT
14 Kawasaki Teryx 4x4

08 09 Conny 14
03 Honda Blackbird.
85 Suzuki GS1000
and countless others,

post #8 of 8 Old Mar 16th, 2019, 8:37 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

OK in the next side wind try putting one of the deflectors out and the other in (clear thingys under the mirrors). Makes a BIG difference. Matt pointed you to the gas cap holder. Always fill the bike on the side stand and don't stick the nozzle in very far at all or you will ding the fuel level sensor tube.

The bike comes alive over 4,000 RPM. Next time in the twisties just do 2nd gear and hit the curves at 50 MPH, use the throttle to control speed. Remember first gear is good to 62 MPH then you hit the rev limiter.

Sounds like you are much happier than you were a month ago.
feelergaugephil likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in