Another Aussie Newbie - Seeking Parts or Info on where to get some - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By hralsy79
  • 1 Post By sailor
  • 1 Post By hralsy79

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Mar 6th, 2019, 10:46 pm Thread Starter

Question Another Aussie Newbie - Seeking Parts or Info on where to get some

Hey all,

I'm loving the BMWLT forum. You guys are super helpful and there is a wealth of information on this forum.

I've been the proud owner of a 2007 K1200LT for just under 2 years now, and am loving the bike.
When I first bought it, I had a major service done at my local BMW dealer as the history was a little unknown (although the bike appears to have been well looked after) and I wasn't confident at that time to tackle anything on it my self.

However, I now have the time and courage to tackle anything on the LT.
(I come from a background of cars. Own and rebuilt many cars, including my pride and joy 1973 Holden Monaro. So have a great mechanical understanding.)

The main things I'm looking for at the moment is a good reputable parts dealer. Prefer Aussie if there are some, but happy to shop overseas if needed.
In particular I am after the following items. Some I know may not be available new, so perhaps will need to source 2nd hand.

* Fairing Bolts (some appear to be missing from when I purchase the bike)
* Rubber Blind Rivot Nuts (Used for attaching the side engine fairings to the frame)
* Mirror for inside the top case/trunk (the hinges on the mirror flap have broken off and now the mirror just bounces around)
* Press lock for the fuel cover (the little lock that the fuel flap clips into when shut is busted)

Other things I'm looking at is:

* It appears as though the seats have been recovered. In doing so, it looks like the small back rest for the front seat has been removed. Is it possible to have this put back on, and I was also wondering what the original colour would have been on the old girl.
* What additional driving lights people use/recommend.
* Where do people wire in any accessories that they may mount on their bike. (I have a front/rear camera as well as phone charger, but not sure if I should run new wires from the battery or tap into the harness somewhere.

Lastly, I'm keen to know who else on here is from Australia, and in particular, Adelaide, South Australia.

Thanks in advance guys, looking forward to hearing from others who share the K1200LT passion.

Cheers,

Allan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	53620_14.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	150249  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Mar 7th, 2019, 3:08 am

Re: Another Aussie Newbie - Seeking Parts or Info on where to get some

Hi from Melbourne.

Your bike looks super!

Sorry I can't help with your information needs.

Cheers anyhow
post #3 of 20 Old Mar 7th, 2019, 6:24 am

Hi Alan and welcome to the forum. I am from Brisbane and have a 2005 LT and by the sounds of it we bought them around the same time.
I highly recommend you replace those brake lines with some Speiglers. I got mine off eBay. I haven't tried to source parts in Australia yet and Beamer Boneyard are great to deal with and pricing is good so Ill be going back to them again. So far I've done all my own work, it's not hard as long as you have some experience with mechanics and as always google is your friend or as we call him here, Kirk. I too wish I could find some other LT riders in my area, I've only ever seen one other on the road and at the time I was in my car.
I can't understand how you ended up missing the back of your seat. My guess would be that if as you suspect someone had redone the upholstery they may have decided it would be cheaper to do if they just forgot that part. I recently had mine apholstered and with both seats it came to just under $1,000 to do. There is a lot of work in those seats. In all there are 10 separate pieces. I can't imagine not having that back rest though, I would feel like I was slipping back too far in the seat.

post #4 of 20 Old Mar 7th, 2019, 6:38 am

Hi from Perth

I've also got a 2007 K1200LT

Over here, Munich Motorcycles is the go to place for any BMW parts. https://www2.munichmotorcycles.com.au/index.php. They're always very helpful and very experienced with a pretty extensive range of stock. Having said that, I've never had to buy anything specifically for the K1200LT from them. I also have a 1970 BMW R60/5; I've bought heaps of stuff for it from them.

Most other things I've installed I think I've generally done the research on this forum and often gone to the manufacturer website direct.

Overseas, I've found that both Moto-Bins (https://www.motobins.co.uk/) and Motorworks (https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Home/index.php) have been very responsive. I can't remember what I ordered from, I think Motor Works, but I was stunned when it arrived two days later! To get anything from the other side of the world to Perth in two days is amazing.

In the US, Max BMW (https://www.maxbmw.com/) quite often pops up as a pretty good source for parts and info on this and other BMW forums.

For the parts you're looking for, the fairing fasteners and rubber blind rivet nuts might be available from Munich Motorcycles; if not, they would probably be able to point you at a source.

Can't even begin to start thinking where you would find a mirror for the top case. Maybe some one has one tucked away or it might be available from BMW itself, at a premium of course.

Same for the little lock on the fuel cap flap. It's some sort of little magnetic thing. Mine was very intermittent when I bought the bike. Sometimes it would do what it was supposed to do, other times not. Then it stopped working completely. I never worried about it after that except maybe "one day", I'll do something about that. Then late last year it decided to start working again and has worked perfectly ever since.

I looked at your picture (great looking bike by the way) and yes, the little back support is missing on the front seat. I wonder why that was done? Guess you could get it remade or you may have to find a second hand one?

I've added GPS, running lights, auxiliary driving lights, USB power in the glove box and auxiliary input into the stereo system. I'm not a fan of just throwing another wire onto the battery with an inline fuse hidden somewhere that I'm sure to forget. I installed a Fuzeblocks FZ-1 Distribution Block (https://www.fuzeblocks.com/) under the seat and use that to provide power to the GPS and USB power outlet and to provide switched power to the relay for the auxiliary driving lights.

Mounting lights can be a bit challenging; a lot of plastic and not many apparent solid mounting points unless you're a good fabricator. I mounted a pair of PIAA 1100X on PIAA mounting brackets (PIAA | Bmw K1200LT Sport Touring Bracket Kit #74121) under the nose cone. I'm not sure if those lights or brackets are still available. If I was doing it again, i'd go down the LED route. There's so many good options out there I wouldn't know where to start. I'm sure you'll find more up to date recommendations for lighting on this forum. I think I have a pair of the mounts in my collection of stuff. Don't know why I ended up with two pair but they're yours for cost of postage if you want them.

I mounted a pair of HID lights to under mirror mounts. I may replace them if I get round to it. Some dodgy brand and while the lighting is great (described as looking like a jet about to land on an aircraft carrier when coming down the road with everything on), one of the provided ballast didn't work from day one and the other failed within the first month. Replaced with ballast from Phillips and no problems since then. Also the finish on the light bodies has not held up; very poor considering I didn't ride the bike all that much or in poor weather back then.

The under mirror mounts were from BMR Products. i don't think they exist anymore but if you look at Clearwater Lights, the mounts used on the Darla kit for the K1200LT are identical. (https://www.clearwaterlights.com/col...s/bike_k1200lt)

Anyway, good luck pulling everything apart. Pulling all the fairing off is a bit of a battle the first couple of times but pretty straight forward really as long as you can keep track of where everything goes. Some people on this forum describe using a peice of cardboard with a rough picture of the bike on it. Punch the fasteners through the cardboard in their rough position on the bike. One trap that bit me was the four screws around the glovebox latch. One of the screws is shorter than the other. If you put a longer one back in that position it will block the electric lock and you will not be able to open the glovebox. Lots of head scratching when I did that.

Cheers

Russell

Russell Ikin
1970 R60/5
2007 K1200LT
Perth, Western Australia
post #5 of 20 Old Mar 7th, 2019, 4:40 pm

Hi from Adelaide. I to have a 2004/5 BMWK1200LT, same color as yours.
We are limited in who to buy genuine parts from in SA.
MotoAdelaide is basically the only parts dealer, there are some smaller dealers
that source some parts.
I tend to buy from USA at various dealers and haven't had any problems as yet.
Did see you parked one day in a parking bay on the Port River Expressway!!!
As you know there are few of these big girls around and they do tend to stand out.
Cheers Dave
post #6 of 20 Old Mar 7th, 2019, 6:21 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

My opinion only. I have found the dealer to be the best source for the well nuts compared to after market ones. They last longer too. For the panel fasteners if you want torx head and don't mind silver (you can black them with a magic marker) Belmetric.com is a very good source. Way cheaper than the dealer.

The little latch on the gas door USED to be available from Allied Electronics for about $10 but the only thing I can find is on Amazon for $23 and the dealer get $28. You may find a source down under for the "Southco Fasteners - E4-10-201-10-RS - TOUCH LATCH".

The mirror is $39 from the dealer and the partition that holds it is $15.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 20 Old Mar 7th, 2019, 6:26 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Another Aussie Newbie - Seeking Parts or Info on where to get some

Hey Lucky, Wazza, Russel, and Dave.

Thanks so much for all the helpful replies.
It will give me some great places to start (along with this forum).

I'm still puzzled as to why the backrest on the seat was removed as well. I never noticed it when I purchased the bike, but now it just bugs me. And I can confirm that you do feel like you slip back in the seat. My thoughts were also that it was removed to make it cheaper to recover, or a previous owner was quite a large bloke and it gave him more seating room. There is starting to be a bit of sun damage to the material, so I think a long term project will be to recover them, or pick up a set of second hand ones. But long term.

The first project I have undertaken was to remove the (what I since found to be) aftermarket Garmin mount. The mount turned out to not even be connected with the cables for GPS to connect it to the stereo for integration hanging loosely under the stingray. And seeing that the cost of a Garmin GPS to snap into it is clear extortion, I opted to add a RAM mount for my mobile phone on the Stingray bracket where the GPS once would go. (The bit of ply wood is a temporary item so I could play with mounting position.) I have run a dedicated USB charge cable up to it, with a small switch in the glovebox to turn it on and off. (I added a second switch for the Front/Rear cameras that just arrived so I can turn them on/off manually as well.) For a quick fix though I just added a fuse/cable to the battery terminal, but only while I have been looking for a better way. That FuzeBlock you linked to Russel looks great thanks.

It was definitely a learning curve to pull all the tupperware off the old girl, but definitely not something that will hold me back now.

Again, thanks for all the info guys. I know where my day will be spent now.
Hope to see you cruising the roads one day, and if you are ever in Adelaide, let me know.

Cheers,
Allan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190308_104204.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	150257   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190308_104148.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	1,024.0 KB
ID:	150259  
post #8 of 20 Old Mar 7th, 2019, 6:30 pm Thread Starter

Thanks John also for your info.
I missed your post while adding my reply.
post #9 of 20 Old Mar 7th, 2019, 6:33 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Just found the latches in the UK here https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/press...tches/2455531/ Not a bad price I should order 10 or 15 and keep them on hand for all my LT friends.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 20 Old Mar 7th, 2019, 7:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reikin View Post
One trap that bit me was the four screws around the glovebox latch. One of the screws is shorter than the other. If you put a longer one back in that position it will block the electric lock and you will not be able to open the glovebox. Lots of head scratching when I did that.
Thanks for that tip Russel, I think it may have caught me out as well. haha
post #11 of 20 Old Mar 7th, 2019, 7:20 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Another Aussie Newbie - Seeking Parts or Info on where to get some

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Just found the latches in the UK here https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/press...tches/2455531/ Not a bad price I should order 10 or 15 and keep them on hand for all my LT friends.
Thanks so much John.

I actually did a search on the Aus RS-Online (have used them before for many odds and ends) and found the same part. https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/press...tches/2455531/
Looks like my first item will be fixed sooner than I thought.
post #12 of 20 Old Mar 8th, 2019, 10:57 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Here is a picture of that "short screw" location that Russell mentioned. If you put a long one in there it will jam the actuator for the glove box lock.

General rule of thumb on panel fasteners, there are long ones, medium ones and short ones. Then there are the really short ones (glove box and the tip over bar covers).

Long ones are used if they go into a well nut.

Medium ones are used if they go through two or more layers of plastic.

Short ones go through one layer of plastic.

Glad you found a local source for the latch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Short screw.PNG
Views:	46
Size:	337.2 KB
ID:	150265  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #13 of 20 Old Mar 11th, 2019, 12:58 am Thread Starter

Thanks John. Picture is perfect help.
post #14 of 20 Old Mar 13th, 2019, 8:19 pm Thread Starter

Hey all, I have finally solved my puzzle for a decent fuse block that I have been searching high and low for. I came across the PROLEC 8 position short cover fully sealed fuse module (#PDMKITASS1). I have had trouble finding a simple fuse block that was fully weather proof until I found this one. It has a mounting bracket and all required terminals, plugs and seals. This one can fit up to 4 mini fuses or a combination of fuses and mini relays (although for relays I think you need the kit with a tall cover. It cost me only $24aus and it looks mint. It almost has the same footprint as the factory BMW fuse block under the seat of my 2007, so I will be mounting it where the 3rd fuse block would normally go on earlier models.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190314_113420_1552526259816.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	150339   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190314_114348_1552526275101.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	150341  
reikin likes this.
post #15 of 20 Old Mar 14th, 2019, 8:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hralsy79 View Post
Hey all, I have finally solved my puzzle for a decent fuse block that I have been searching high and low for. I came across the PROLEC 8 position short cover fully sealed fuse module (#PDMKITASS1). I have had trouble finding a simple fuse block that was fully weather proof until I found this one. It has a mounting bracket and all required terminals, plugs and seals. This one can fit up to 4 mini fuses or a combination of fuses and mini relays (although for relays I think you need the kit with a tall cover. It cost me only $24aus and it looks mint. It almost has the same footprint as the factory BMW fuse block under the seat of my 2007, so I will be mounting it where the 3rd fuse block would normally go on earlier models.
Based on the pictures, these fuse block look well done and compact.

It appear to be something sold only "down under" as I have trouble finding anything similar from PROLEC in North-America.
Voyager likes this.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 95,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #16 of 20 Old Mar 14th, 2019, 6:14 pm Thread Starter

Sorry guys, I should have added a link to where I purchased the fuse block from.

Swe-Check: The Fuse Warehouse. View our Range Online.

Prolec PDMKitASS1 PDU for Fuses, Breakers & Relays

They ship internationally, with the only condition being a minimum order of A$50.
I cannot recommend them enough though. They have great customer service and fast delivery.
sailor likes this.
post #17 of 20 Old Mar 17th, 2019, 3:30 pm
cws

Garage

G'day Allan... Chris from Sydney. Looks like most of your queries have been covered.

Power - Fuzeblock is the way to go.
Trunk mirror - forget it, unless you need to go to MardiGras.. damn things will just break off again.
Note on that... don't force the rear trunk lid down, it can cause the big squarish unlocking handle to break (its just pot metal), usually in one corner. Replacement parts no longer available AFAIK... you can remove one of the locking pins... read about it on the threads.
Additional lighting - I went with Motolights many years ago (on the front brakes).

I check in here only occassionaly now.... enjoy your ride!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #18 of 20 Old Mar 17th, 2019, 5:24 pm Thread Starter

Hey Chris,

Many thanks for the response.

I think what you said about the mirror is a very good point.
It was more a point of I hate seeing things broken, so if I remove it, then I wont see it broken anymore.

Cheers,
Allan
post #19 of 20 Old Mar 17th, 2019, 5:43 pm

Garage

mirror fix is piano hinge from the hardware store and double sided tape or a 2 part epoxy glue, mines been like that for years

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #20 of 20 Old Mar 17th, 2019, 11:32 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for that tip Axle. I hadn't thought of such a simple option.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in