Still a newbie, Anyone knows how to check the final drive on a K1200LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 2 Post By sailor
  • 2 Post By Voyager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Mar 6th, 2019, 9:18 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Still a newbie, Anyone knows how to check the final drive on a K1200LT

Still a newbie, Anyone knows how to check the final drive on a 1999 K1200LT.

The videos I seen is only about changing them out.

Please advise me.

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Mar 6th, 2019, 9:28 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Still a newbie, Anyone knows how to check the final drive on a K1200LT

Grab the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock and rock it. There should be no play - if there is then you need to determine if the drive is moving in the swing arm or the the drive is moving within itself. First one is common second is not common. But the very best way is to change the oil at every engine oil change. Then inspect the magnet in the drain plug. Gray fuzz is normal anything shiny is NOT normal.
radar41 likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old Mar 6th, 2019, 9:36 pm

Without doing a crown bearing replacement and setting it up properly from scratch, the next best thing you can do is keep an eye on the magnet. The FD holds a small amount of oil so checking it a couple times a year is not expensive and if you are fast enough, you can get the magnet out and put your finger over the hole to have a look and not lose too much. Order a stash of crush washers for your tool box. Some reuse them if they are not overly distorted but best to just replace it. A fine paste on the magnet is OK but if you start seeing stuff floating in the oil ( non ferrous ) or more than a fine powder on the magnet, then it very likely would need a closer inspection and rebuild before a total failure of the bearing happens. You can do the wiggle test ( not conclusive ) on the rear wheel. Any play side to side or top to bottom is not good. If you do find play, you need to discern if it is coming from the crown bearing or is it the FD and or the swing arm pivot bearings that are loose allowing that entire section to wiggle.

There is much more to a FD than just replacing the crown bearing and main seal but with doing nothing else, you should expect to hopefully see a similar mileage before the next failure keeping in mind that you did not remedy the issue that caused the failure which would likely be over shimming causing metal fatigue and bearing failure.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 Old Mar 8th, 2019, 8:24 pm

Honestly, the days of high mileage riding is over for me. I pull my plug every 1000-1500 miles. Takes 5 minutes and very little oil. I decided against pulling mine now for rebuild by saddleman for two reason's. If I did I would assume it already needs bearings and secondly I have a spare here. When I see the signs of failure its coming out. I just hope it not like my first one back in 2001........almost left me stranded 4 hours away from home. I changed the oil before I left with no apparent signs of imminent failure.......
post #5 of 16 Old Mar 12th, 2019, 8:31 am

You never say how many miles are on your final drive. I assume a 1999 model may have quite a few miles. It will fail eventually without a rebuild. I was lucky and got 65,000 miles from mine before it failed. All of a sudden you hear a noise in the final drive you pull over and oil starts coming out. All of the drives in the LT were built with too much pre-load. This causes the metal to fatigue and then the crown wheel bearing begins to come apart. The pieces get ground up and puncture the seal and get trapped by the magnet.

If you are going to keep your LT, plan on rebuilding the final drive sometime in the future. As others have said change the final drive oil every time you change oil and pay attention to the magnet on the drain plug.

Alex

Alex Cuningham
865 617 2093 cell

post #6 of 16 Old Mar 12th, 2019, 8:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by acuningham View Post
You never say how many miles are on your final drive. I assume a 1999 model may have quite a few miles. It will fail eventually without a rebuild. I was lucky and got 65,000 miles from mine before it failed. All of a sudden you hear a noise in the final drive you pull over and oil starts coming out. All of the drives in the LT were built with too much pre-load. This causes the metal to fatigue and then the crown wheel bearing begins to come apart. The pieces get ground up and puncture the seal and get trapped by the magnet.

If you are going to keep your LT, plan on rebuilding the final drive sometime in the future. As others have said change the final drive oil every time you change oil and pay attention to the magnet on the drain plug.

Alex
I disagree with this statement above:
"... It will fail eventually without a rebuild. I was lucky and got 65,000 miles from mine before it failed."

There are many cases documented here (of K1200LT models) and on the K1200RS forums and on the R1150 forums (other sites) of rear-drives with more than 100,000 miles without a rebuild. Mine has 95,000 miles - bought the bike new in 2002 and do ALL of my own maintenance.

These evidences do not mean that BMW did NOT have a quality / assembly control problems with these rear-drive - of course they did and they never admitted it. But please do not make a blank statement that all these drives will fail before such-or-such mileage. Quite a few have been properly done at the factory (properly shimmed).

I agree that if you buy a used K1200LT with unknown maintenance history, it is good prevention to have the rear-drive rebuild by competent tech such as Dave (Saddleman). However, to say that these will all fail is stretching the truth (or available stats / facts).

Another very good option: An owner needs to keep an eye on it with regular gear-oil change - a 20 minutes job that requires only 0.25 liters. Inspection of metal shaving on drain plug AND opacity of the old oil wlll give advance warning in most cases.
Voyager and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 95,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #7 of 16 Old Mar 12th, 2019, 12:22 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I have seen the FD's go over 300,000 miles that were properly assembled at BMW.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #8 of 16 Old Mar 12th, 2019, 12:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by acuningham View Post

Alex
Not “all” FDs were built with too much preload. Clearly, far too many were, but there are many stories of factory FDs that ran a long time without failure.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #9 of 16 Old Mar 12th, 2019, 3:50 pm

I agree, not all FD units will fail. I guess I am guilty of generalizing. I am sure they built some correctly. It is my understanding that BMW subcontracted the assembly of the final drive units. My bike is a 2008 model and they did not build it correctly. So, IMHO, BMW had plenty of time to get this right. Any model year after 2002 or so should never see this type of failure.

Just saying,

alex

Alex Cuningham
865 617 2093 cell

post #10 of 16 Old Mar 15th, 2019, 12:31 pm

There are a few "expert wrenchers" on the forum that can inspect/rebuild your final drive.

I just recently purchased an 09 (05 LT had too many $$ problems) and had Dave (Saddleman) check it.

Dave has rebuilt many drives. He checked the preload on my 09 and no worries. He also has some already rebuilt if you want a swap out or ship it to him. Typically has all the necessary parts in stock.

If the wiggle test of the back wheel doesn't tell you what you need, a piece of mind by having it checked may be worth it to you.

My paranoia had me buying a spare drive JIC for my 05. I put 85K on the original and it was still fine.

My take was there was some variability in the assembly over the years. Like in the old days, don't buy a car built on Mondays or Fridays, maybe the same with an LT final drive?

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #11 of 16 Old Mar 16th, 2019, 12:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Just traded my LT for a new R1200RTW.

However, I have a completely checked out spare Final Drive for a 2000 which is the same as your '99 with a new crown bearing installed by a "famous" forum member from New England's Granite state. After the "surgery" he told me the original bearing was in spec except that it was over-shimmed. He installed the new bearing to the OEM Spec.

I had it in reserve if I needed it while on the road. My 2000 had 65K on the clock with no FD issues.

If you are interested in a "deal" PM me.
Paul

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #12 of 16 Old Mar 16th, 2019, 1:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell View Post
Just traded my LT for a new R1200RTW.

However, I have a completely checked out spare Final Drive for a 2000 which is the same as your '99 with a new crown bearing installed by a "famous" forum member from New England's Granite state. After the "surgery" he told me the original bearing was in spec except that it was over-shimmed. He installed the new bearing to the OEM Spec.

I had it in reserve if I needed it while on the road. My 2000 had 65K on the clock with no FD issues.

If you are interested in a "deal" PM me.
Paul
So how do you like the RTW? I am intrigued by the new 1250, but will probably keep my LT a few more years since I just bought an RDL seat. The lighter weight, easier maintenance and more power of the new 1250 is sure tempting though.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #13 of 16 Old Mar 16th, 2019, 1:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
So how do you like the RTW? I am intrigued by the new 1250, but will probably keep my LT a few more years since I just bought an RDL seat. The lighter weight, easier maintenance and more power of the new 1250 is sure tempting though.
Had multiple k's of miles on my trips overseas and for two-up it was my choice when I decided on a new ride. I've been collecting threads on RT for the past couple of years and lit the fuse when I sold my residence of 38 years. Even without the extra cash I was probably going to get a new RT. Never had a new ride before as well.

I've only put about 150 miles on it due to the weather but plan lots more this riding season. The farkeling has begun and the $$$ are flying out of the checking account but that's the fun of getting what you need for the immersion into the riding experience. The local dealer suggested the 1250 but it was going to be about $4k more for the last '18 on the floor. Not a tough decision.

Loved the LT and the relatively easy maintenance, but it was time for the Alpine White R1200RTW! Traffic does slow down especially on rural roads having a white Shoei helmet as well

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #14 of 16 Old Mar 16th, 2019, 8:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell View Post
Had multiple k's of miles on my trips overseas and for two-up it was my choice when I decided on a new ride. I've been collecting threads on RT for the past couple of years and lit the fuse when I sold my residence of 38 years. Even without the extra cash I was probably going to get a new RT. Never had a new ride before as well.

I've only put about 150 miles on it due to the weather but plan lots more this riding season. The farkeling has begun and the $$$ are flying out of the checking account but that's the fun of getting what you need for the immersion into the riding experience. The local dealer suggested the 1250 but it was going to be about $4k more for the last '18 on the floor. Not a tough decision.

Loved the LT and the relatively easy maintenance, but it was time for the Alpine White R1200RTW! Traffic does slow down especially on rural roads having a white Shoei helmet as well
Relatively easy maintenance on an LT? Man, what are you smoking? And can I have some??!!
PMitchell and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #15 of 16 Old Mar 24th, 2019, 10:34 pm Thread Starter

Garage

I can pm you yet. I am not at (15 post) yet.

My email is [email protected]

1999 BMW K1200lt
1996 Honda Heilix CN250 scooter

Past motorcycles

1995 Kawasaki 750 Vulcan
1985 Honda 1200 Goldwing
1986 Honda 1200 Goldwing
1984 Honda 1200 Goldwing
1993 Honda 750cb Nighthawk
1984 Honda V42 (VF700C) Magna
1983 Yamaha XJ 750 Seca
1976 Yamaha XS650C Speical
1978 Yamaha DT175 Enduro
1967 Suzuki T125 Stinger
1965 Honda 50 Dream
post #16 of 16 Old Mar 24th, 2019, 11:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmygrampabmwmotorcycle View Post
I can pm you yet. I am not at (15 post) yet.

My email is [email protected]
Well, keep posting!!

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

Tags
final drive repair, k1200lt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in