Post-SS Brake Line Throttle Assembly position glitch just manifested - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By Ricky Chuck
  • 2 Post By jzeiler
  • 2 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By Voyager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 7:30 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Post-SS Brake Line Throttle Assembly position glitch just manifested

Well the last couple of times I rode I realized my throttle assembly was not back to its original position, in other words the starter button, cencel button, etc, were rotated too far underneath the bars. It isn't much but it is annoying to have to cock my wrist that way. I decided to adjust it back so when I just got in there I realized the SS brake line banjo, when I tightened it, rotated down toward the lower plastic cover and won't go any further than about3 millimeters. I need it to go about five more but it won't unless I loosen the screws holding the plastic up.

Question is this...if I loosen the banjo just enough to rotate it up will that introduce air or will it still be tight enough to still push up the line sufficiently to allow the assembly to roll down some?

Oklahoma City, OK. 2003 K1200 LT. "Remember men, if the women don't find ya handsome, at least let 'em find ya handy." Red Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 7:37 pm

Re: Post-SS Brake Line Throttle Assembly position glitch just manifested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chuck View Post
Well the last couple of times I rode I realized my throttle assembly was not back to its original position, in other words the starter button, cencel button, etc, were rotated too far underneath the bars. It isn't much but it is annoying to have to cock my wrist that way. I decided to adjust it back so when I just got in there I realized the SS brake line banjo, when I tightened it, rotated down toward the lower plastic cover and won't go any further than about3 millimeters. I need it to go about five more but it won't unless I loosen the screws holding the plastic up.

Question is this...if I loosen the banjo just enough to rotate it up will that introduce air or will it still be tight enough to still push up the line sufficiently to allow the assembly to roll down some?
It is a crap shoot. You may be able to put some rubber bands on the brake lever so that when you loosen it, it will allow fluid to come out under pressure and not allow air in but you have a limited amount of fluid to loose before air will replace the void left with no pressure. Obviously, make sure not to get any brake fluid drips from that effort on any paint.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 7:41 pm Thread Starter

Garage

you're saying it would need to be done pretty quickly...rubber bands, crack it loose, pull it up, tighten it.

After all the trouble to get the brakes dialed in I am tempted to just widen the groove under it so the SS line will poke through when I roll it down.

Oklahoma City, OK. 2003 K1200 LT. "Remember men, if the women don't find ya handsome, at least let 'em find ya handy." Red Green

post #4 of 12 Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 7:58 pm

Quote:
you're saying it would need to be done pretty quickly...rubber bands, crack it loose, pull it up, tighten it.

After all the trouble to get the brakes dialed in I am tempted to just widen the groove under it so the SS line will poke through when I roll it down.
Either way. It would only be that one control circuit or line you might have to bleed again so pick your poison.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 8:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

Gravity should keep a slight pressure on the fitting so it is unlikely you will get air in. You likely will have some fluid leak out, but that is no big deal. And even if you get a little air, it will be up near a the master cylinder and should rise overnight and work its way into the master cylinder after a fashion.
Ricky Chuck likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #6 of 12 Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 9:05 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Gravity should keep a slight pressure on the fitting so it is unlikely you will get air in. You likely will have some fluid leak out, but that is no big deal. And even if you get a little air, it will be up near a the master cylinder and should rise overnight and work its way into the master cylinder after a fashion.
TEMPTING!

OK, I went there . I loosened it just enough to where I was able to slide the metal arm up to the stop and then I reversed the torque wrench and tightened it back to the torque setting. I got just a small seep of fluid on the towel and nothing else so I am gonna call it good for now. Whew, that could have taken longer, thanks for the perspective. I was halfway thinking if I just got it loose enough to overcome friction it might not leak much.
Voyager likes this.

Last edited by Ricky Chuck; Mar 2nd, 2019 at 9:18 pm.
post #7 of 12 Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 9:30 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Does anyone know the torque setting for the throttle assembly allen bolt that clamps to the handlebars? I don't see it on Kirk's torque chart.

post #8 of 12 Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 11:31 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

No torque is specified for that. Just tight enough where it will not rotate.
Ricky Chuck and kbob12 like this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #9 of 12 Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 11:51 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
No torque is specified for that. Just tight enough where it will not rotate.
Thanks, John. That could explain why I couldn't find it anywhere, lol. Snugged it up, put some epoxy on some cracks I noticed on the top handlebar cover thread housings and I THINK I am done for now except cleaning the filthy thing! I believe this whole project is approximately analogous to putting panty hose on Rosie O'Donnell even when she doesn't want them on, lol.

post #10 of 12 Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 4:55 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
I believe this whole project is approximately analogous to putting panty hose on Rosie O'Donnell even when she doesn't want them on, lol.
Now that is probably the best description of working on an LT I have ever heard (and now I can't get that image out of my head).
Ricky Chuck and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #11 of 12 Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 7:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Now that is probably the best description of working on an LT I have ever heard (and now I can't get that image out of my head).
Yes, I will never look at my LT the same way again.

Just kidding. An LT and Rosie Barr have absolutely nothing in common.
Ricky Chuck likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #12 of 12 Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 8:24 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Yes, I will never look at my LT the same way again.

Just kidding. An LT and Rosie Barr have absolutely nothing in common.
You make a valid point
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rosie barr.png
Views:	34
Size:	973.6 KB
ID:	150185  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in