• 1 Post By mondrage
  • 1 Post By mondrage
  • 2 Post By Ricky Chuck
  • 2 Post By niel_petersen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Feb 26th, 2019, 12:02 am Thread Starter

Garage
I Was Introduced To LT Physics Today

It was a close thing. You know how your mind sometimes goes somewhere else while your lizard brain is dealing with the incident? Happens, lol.

My 1150RT was a nice bike, if it had cruise or a rear trunk that would have handled my helmet I would probably still have it...but in any case the foot pegs on the LT are a lot larger than the RTs...keep that in mind for a few seconds, lol. I took it out today for a run and discovered the temp spike and the shifting was getting better, sort of, but the first place I went was to a local coffee shop because I was Jonesing for a large coffee with a shot of cinnamon syrup in it. At the third light on the way we all came to a stop and I put my left boot down just as the bike was stopping and leaning to the left, no worries. Well...these footpegs are longer, too, and my boot hung on the tip of the peg and didn't go down until I did another desperate lift and stomp and it was almost too late. I could fee the constant pull of gravity beginning to take over while my boot was still not quite on the ground and then it became a matter of me holding it up while still holding the clutch in and not pegging the throttle and oh yes there were thirty cars behind me and OH MY GOSH I HEAR THINGS HAPPENING IN MY BACK...for a few moments it stopped going down but it wasn't going back up, either, and then I was able to tug hard and slam my leg against the bike and block it a bit higher, and then a couple more of those gutbuster tugs and it lightened up and I was able to right it.

All this took maybe 20 seconds and the light was still red but people were clapping around me, embarrassing but I managed to give an aloof wave while checking my body out for hernias and other stuff. It took a few hours but this evening when I went to pick up a wrench my lower back was like "WHAT WAS THAT CRAP TODAY, HUH???" Anyway, lots of sore muscles, lol, but I kept it up! May have to saw off that list half inch on the pegs

Oklahoma City, OK. 2003 K1200 LT. "Remember men, if the women don't find ya handsome, at least let 'em find ya handy." Red Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Feb 26th, 2019, 12:32 am

Re: I Was Introduced To LT Physics Today

I feel your pain brother. I am now 72 and have been riding for 56 years and the LT finally got me. There is something about the bike that once she starts to go it takes a real man to stop it. Mine happen 2 years ago during my first year of ownership. Two brothers and a son and myself made four. Camping was our nightly pleasure. We pulled into a campsite and as we went around we all saw the perfect site and pulled into towards the usual picnic table. The approach was paved and uphill. The first 3 stopped at the rise and as I pulled up last I was forced to stop on the still uphill portion. Asphalt with lots of decomposed granite, like large sand. I came to a stop and as both feet went down the front brake stopped my progress for only a moment. The weight of the bike, myself and all the camping gear was well over 1150 pounds. The now locked front tire had no chance on the loose granite and the bike slipped backwards.
I did n't have a prayer. High school physics was many years ago, back when they taught cursive writing in school. Even so I understood the lack of friction and as the bike tipped I stepped neatly off to fight another day.
Round one and I lost.
I still love the bike.
Ricky Chuck likes this.

Still rolling in Southern Oregon
post #3 of 25 Old Feb 26th, 2019, 2:55 am Thread Starter

Garage

Starting some thoughts on paper about the beast, lol...such as never let your mind wander , thanks for the response, I imagine everyone unless they are built like Dwayne Johnson have been caught ow and then.

post #4 of 25 Old Feb 26th, 2019, 7:02 am
Lifetime Supporter

If she goes over part or all the way, it's still an effort you're likely to remember, muscle-wise.
I've been able to wrestle her back up a time or two, but the tally in my .sig tells the real tale.

Have fun,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #5 of 25 Old Feb 26th, 2019, 8:23 am

I bring this out from time to time when threads on drops come up. This was my first outing with the LT group at IronHorse and I was new to the bike. I simply could not keep up with the more seasoned riders who were kind enough to wait for me at a pull off. It took me a few seconds to realize it was them and then went into panic stop mode. I managed to stop just before the end of the pull off and avoid hitting the rocks but I turned left at the last second and got my left foot over the road which sloped away from the pull over surface. My foot went down with the bars turned and there was no ground where I needed it to be and it started to go. I was totally embarrassed in front of the group. The noob dropping his bike in front ln everyone and both me and my pillion crawling off the center of the Cherohala hoping no car was coming around the corner. They were very gracious as they all had been there before. I just happened to catch it on video so enjoy.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMSqj4CDCsM
Ricky Chuck and kbob12 like this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #6 of 25 Old Feb 27th, 2019, 12:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
I bring this out from time to time when threads on drops come up. This was my first outing with the LT group at IronHorse and I was new to the bike. I simply could not keep up with the more seasoned riders who were kind enough to wait for me at a pull off. It took me a few seconds to realize it was them and then went into panic stop mode. I managed to stop just before the end of the pull off and avoid hitting the rocks but I turned left at the last second and got my left foot over the road which sloped away from the pull over surface. My foot went down with the bars turned and there was no ground where I needed it to be and it started to go. I was totally embarrassed in front of the group. The noob dropping his bike in front ln everyone and both me and my pillion crawling off the center of the Cherohala hoping no car was coming around the corner. They were very gracious as they all had been there before. I just happened to catch it on video so enjoy.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMSqj4CDCsM
It happens, huh?
I dropped my KLT three times in the first year. Once when some kids cut through the gas pumps heading for the convenience store just as I was pulling away from filling up for the first time. I grabbed the front brakes and turned the front wheel to avoid the kids, and down I went. Four muscular, heavily tattooed guys appeared and jumped into action and almost righted me and the bike before I could get up. The second time, I hit a cement planter with my boot attempting to park on my front patio and down I went. I used my two-ton engine cherry picker to lift the bike because I did not have room to try the butt against the seat lift/handlebar grab and lift. The third time was at a stop sign with a sharp rise, a lot of sand and grit. While waiting for a car to go by my left foot slid out from under me. The car which turned in front of me and caused me to wait immediately pulled over to help me right the bike. I have been very lucky!
Fortunately, I haven't had any close calls since then, though I will now be able to capture any future mishaps with the front and rear video cameras mounted on my bike!
niel_petersen and tripplevern like this.

Bob
Covina, CA
2000 K1200LTI Champagne

post #7 of 25 Old Feb 27th, 2019, 2:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbob12 View Post
It happens, huh?
I dropped my KLT three times in the first year. Once when some kids cut through the gas pumps heading for the convenience store just as I was pulling away from filling up for the first time. I grabbed the front brakes and turned the front wheel to avoid the kids, and down I went. Four muscular, heavily tattooed guys appeared and jumped into action and almost righted me and the bike before I could get up. The second time, I hit a cement planter with my boot attempting to park on my front patio and down I went. I used my two-ton engine cherry picker to lift the bike because I did not have room to try the butt against the seat lift/handlebar grab and lift. The third time was at a stop sign with a sharp rise, a lot of sand and grit. While waiting for a car to go by my left foot slid out from under me. The car which turned in front of me and caused me to wait immediately pulled over to help me right the bike. I have been very lucky!
Fortunately, I haven't had any close calls since then, though I will now be able to capture any future mishaps with the front and rear video cameras mounted on my bike!
At present, I have no problem righting the bike by myself as you can see in the video. It doesn't take much to put yourself in a bad position and the bike going down so the list of knowing what to avoid gets larger with every time it happens and hopefully, farther and farther between naps. Learning from your " mistakes" is always good. Learning from others mistakes is better.
Voyager and kbob12 like this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #8 of 25 Old Feb 27th, 2019, 2:54 pm

Soon after we got the LT, we were on our way home and decided to pull into the favorite custard stand(in WI, it's not ice cream, it's custard)

I pulled in and saw a spot that had a slight incline, so thought I would back in, making it easier to head out. My wife jumped off, and I began going into the spot. The parking lot was full, the line was very long for custard, it was a full house. As I headed back, my left foot went down to find the pavement, only to find I had found a severe dip in that pavement. The bike went down quickly, and EVERYONE there turned their attention to us! My first drop had to come with a full audience.

Two riders (Harley) came over and we righted it easily. They said 'it happens to all of us,' which really didn't ease the pain. And now, nearly 10 years later, I honestly can't remember if we got any custard.

2000 LT 207K miles
2010 RT 29K miles
2007 RT P 42,000 miles SOLD
1982 vision 550 Yamaha SOLD
1964 Vespa 175 w/sidecar (homemade by neighbor) SOLD
1966 Honda CL77 (2016-17 winter project) As of August 16, the Honda is running! First time in 42 years. Going to be a sweet little around town bike. SOLD,
Four corner SCMA ride 2013
All Yooper SS1000K, 6/17/17
48 state/12 day ride 2016
Great Lakes Challenge, 2011
2018 Fall Classic SS1000 Four-Corners
post #9 of 25 Old Feb 27th, 2019, 4:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebullock View Post
Soon after we got the LT, we were on our way home and decided to pull into the favorite custard stand(in WI, it's not ice cream, it's custard)

I pulled in and saw a spot that had a slight incline, so thought I would back in, making it easier to head out. My wife jumped off, and I began going into the spot. The parking lot was full, the line was very long for custard, it was a full house. As I headed back, my left foot went down to find the pavement, only to find I had found a severe dip in that pavement. The bike went down quickly, and EVERYONE there turned their attention to us! My first drop had to come with a full audience.

Two riders (Harley) came over and we righted it easily. They said 'it happens to all of us,' which really didn't ease the pain. And now, nearly 10 years later, I honestly can't remember if we got any custard.
I would have felt discustard.
davebullock likes this.
post #10 of 25 Old Feb 27th, 2019, 5:16 pm

bravo Wazza

2000 LT 207K miles
2010 RT 29K miles
2007 RT P 42,000 miles SOLD
1982 vision 550 Yamaha SOLD
1964 Vespa 175 w/sidecar (homemade by neighbor) SOLD
1966 Honda CL77 (2016-17 winter project) As of August 16, the Honda is running! First time in 42 years. Going to be a sweet little around town bike. SOLD,
Four corner SCMA ride 2013
All Yooper SS1000K, 6/17/17
48 state/12 day ride 2016
Great Lakes Challenge, 2011
2018 Fall Classic SS1000 Four-Corners
post #11 of 25 Old Feb 27th, 2019, 11:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebullock View Post
bravo Wazza
Yeah sorry about that, I have a black belt in bad puns and Dad jokes.
Ricky Chuck likes this.
post #12 of 25 Old Feb 28th, 2019, 12:00 am Thread Starter

Garage

Hey I just had a crazy thought...would going darkside make the LT more stable during the tipping Time??

Oklahoma City, OK. 2003 K1200 LT. "Remember men, if the women don't find ya handsome, at least let 'em find ya handy." Red Green
post #13 of 25 Old Feb 28th, 2019, 6:57 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chuck View Post
Hey I just had a crazy thought...would going darkside make the LT more stable during the tipping Time??
It might at first, but once you got past the knee of the tire tread, it would go over really fast!

I volunteer you to give it a try and let us know.
Ricky Chuck likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #14 of 25 Old Feb 28th, 2019, 7:18 am

I can still remember her falling over and the sound she made as she hit the pavement. That's the sound of solid ! The LT is just top heavy... and occasionally she wants to nap... Once she she gets past a certain point it's best to let her go... Not worth the pain..

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #15 of 25 Old Feb 28th, 2019, 9:22 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver View Post
I can still remember her falling over and the sound she made as she hit the pavement. That's the sound of solid ! The LT is just top heavy... and occasionally she wants to nap... Once she she gets past a certain point it's best to let her go... Not worth the pain..
I hear you but it sucks being reminded your body isn't 30 anymore, lol. Once these sore muscles mend I am starting a leg program again

post #16 of 25 Old Feb 28th, 2019, 9:24 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
It might at first, but once you got past the knee of the tire tread, it would go over really fast!

I volunteer you to give it a try and let us know.
You know I rode a hog that went that way once and I had real concerns about it falling over once it got up past the sidewall but I couldn't really tell! It did speed up a bit when you got to that point but after a couple of minutes riding you just knew you might go into your apex curve a tad faster, lol.

post #17 of 25 Old Feb 28th, 2019, 10:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
I feel your pain brother. I am now 72 and have been riding for 56 years and the LT finally got me. There is something about the bike that once she starts to go it takes a real man to stop it. Mine happen 2 years ago during my first year of ownership. Two brothers and a son and myself made four. Camping was our nightly pleasure. We pulled into a campsite and as we went around we all saw the perfect site and pulled into towards the usual picnic table. The approach was paved and uphill. The first 3 stopped at the rise and as I pulled up last I was forced to stop on the still uphill portion. Asphalt with lots of decomposed granite, like large sand. I came to a stop and as both feet went down the front brake stopped my progress for only a moment. The weight of the bike, myself and all the camping gear was well over 1150 pounds. The now locked front tire had no chance on the loose granite and the bike slipped backwards.
I did n't have a prayer. High school physics was many years ago, back when they taught cursive writing in school. Even so I understood the lack of friction and as the bike tipped I stepped neatly off to fight another day.
Round one and I lost.
I still love the bike.
Good for you, you saved! People cheered, all good.

In my early days with the LT, I was in a cobblestone (adoquines) street, and when a put my left foot down, there was a stone missing. Cluth pulled, bike revved a little as I was trying to sort myself of my confusion.
In the end, I put the bike softly down.
and then asked for help to pick it up.
Very embarrassing and my GF froze, she just didn't know what to do, and neither did I as it was slowly but surely falling down.
Ricky Chuck likes this.

----------------------------------------------------
BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW K1200R: "Drophammer" 2006
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
Sachs MadAss FY125-20
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)

-----------------------------------------------------
post #18 of 25 Old Feb 28th, 2019, 11:04 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondrage View Post
Good for you, you saved! People cheered, all good.

In my early days with the LT, I was in a cobblestone (adoquines) street, and when a put my left foot down, there was a stone missing. Cluth pulled, bike revved a little as I was trying to sort myself of my confusion.
In the end, I put the bike softly down.
and then asked for help to pick it up.
Very embarrassing and my GF froze, she just didn't know what to do, and neither did I as it was slowly but surely falling down.
I remember thinking to push away if I lost it to save my left leg but after reviewing it in my head I imagine it would have landed on the tipover bar and suitcase and my boot would have been ok, lots of thinks firing off in the head when stuff like this goes on, lol.

Mondrage, good to see your post, I feel like I know you from reading your 2016 post about coolant woes , thought I was going to have some similar issues after renewing my system but I think I just reacted too quickly to movement by the temp gauge. Still down south?

post #19 of 25 Old Feb 28th, 2019, 11:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chuck View Post
I remember thinking to push away if I lost it to save my left leg but after reviewing it in my head I imagine it would have landed on the tipover bar and suitcase and my boot would have been ok, lots of thinks firing off in the head when stuff like this goes on, lol.

Mondrage, good to see your post, I feel like I know you from reading your 2016 post about coolant woes , thought I was going to have some similar issues after renewing my system but I think I just reacted too quickly to movement by the temp gauge. Still down south?
Ricky, yeah. I live in Nicaragua for the time being. I'm sure you know of the current serious turmoil, and the ghost of the 80's looming on us (it was a lost decade, the communists ran the country down to the ground and they are about to do it again)
I like it here. It's my country after all. You know what they say "this is a M16, there are many like it, but this is MINE".

With all these bikes you have to relay in the assistance of other fellow riders. Specially in my case with no shops around.
I tried to document everything (as bombastic as I might seem sometimes) so that it'll be of help to someone else in the same situation.
and with five BMWs in my garage, those situations abound.

But with Kirk's videos, I feel there's nothing I can't tackle on my LT.

You should plan to come down and visit. It's always summer here, and when it rains, it's warm rain.

I haven't been as active as I was before in this forum, and in i-bmw.com which I like. Life got really busy for me. Traveling up to 80% of my time.
Things have slowed down somewhat and I'm trying to get back to what I really like.
Also right now, I feel weary of traveling in the country with all the communist police bothering people.
So, using all my hyperactive energy on fixing the bikes, instead of drinking beer everyday only.
Now I'm fixing the bikes, and it doesn't seem as bad to be drinking beers everyday. (wink)
Ricky Chuck likes this.

BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
Sachs MadAss FY125-20

Last edited by mondrage; Feb 28th, 2019 at 11:20 am.
post #20 of 25 Old Mar 1st, 2019, 1:27 am Thread Starter

Garage

Eureka! Stumbled upon a way to get the bike up far enough to finish lifting it without turning into an invalid, lol...adapt an air compressor tip to the hose and wait! Just one more duffel to carry with

mondrage and kbob12 like this.

post #21 of 25 Old Mar 1st, 2019, 2:44 pm

Now over 80 I'm waiting for a LOT of snow to melt before starting another season on my 2005 LT. I've dropped mine 3 times I recall, but the last time I discovered that with my left hand lifting on the trunk top (right hand on the handle bar) I can still lift it myself. I know the trunk isn't supposed to be lifted like this, but It is much more effective generating the required moment about a longitudial axis to get the old girl up.
Ricky Chuck and kbob12 like this.
post #22 of 25 Old Mar 1st, 2019, 8:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel_petersen View Post
Now over 80 I'm waiting for a LOT of snow to melt before starting another season on my 2005 LT. I've dropped mine 3 times I recall, but the last time I discovered that with my left hand lifting on the trunk top (right hand on the handle bar) I can still lift it myself. I know the trunk isn't supposed to be lifted like this, but It is much more effective generating the required moment about a longitudial axis to get the old girl up.
You risk serious back injury if you are using you arms, shoulders and back to lift. You really want to get your butt against the seat so that you are pushing against the seat with your legs and your back is just along for the ride.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #23 of 25 Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 11:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
You risk serious back injury if you are using you arms, shoulders and back to lift. You really want to get your butt against the seat so that you are pushing against the seat with your legs and your back is just along for the ride.
That part I assumed others already knew.

There's no way I could lift it facing the bike. It also requires some very grabby gloves so that gripping the trunk isn't hard.
post #24 of 25 Old Mar 6th, 2019, 11:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel_petersen View Post
I've dropped it twice.
Once on top of my arm and head. My neighbors (four of them) helped me out from underneath it. I was doing an oil change, and as usual the oil filter wouldn't budge (didn't know the warm up trick then) and put too much torque. It was falling on top of my little brother, so I over pulled to my side and as I was laying down fell on top of me. Something pinched my arm, and the tupperware was against my skull. Not fun.

The other time, I couldn't find footing in a street intersection so I slowly put it down.

In both cases, I just wait until enough people help me with it.
I heard that back injuries are not fun, and usually are unfixable.

BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
Sachs MadAss FY125-20

post #25 of 25 Old Mar 6th, 2019, 4:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondrage View Post
I've dropped it twice.
Once on top of my arm and head. My neighbors (four of them) helped me out from underneath it. I was doing an oil change, and as usual the oil filter wouldn't budge (didn't know the warm up trick then) and put too much torque. It was falling on top of my little brother, so I over pulled to my side and as I was laying down fell on top of me. Something pinched my arm, and the tupperware was against my skull. Not fun.

The other time, I couldn't find footing in a street intersection so I slowly put it down.

In both cases, I just wait until enough people help me with it.
I heard that back injuries are not fun, and usually are unfixable.
That's why you back into the seat and lift with a straight back and leg power.
Of course that's pretty hard to do when your scull is pinned to the ground.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in