• 1 Post By mondrage
  • 2 Post By sailor
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By Santa6bmw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Feb 24th, 2019, 11:59 am Thread Starter

Garage
LED Dash Lights

To all you great people, this forum has been an amazing source of ideas and instruction for my planned upcoming first 12,000 maintenance and few upgrades. Mine is a 2004 with 29K miles and I don't the benefit of knowledge of prior maintenance so I'm going all in. I've also watched a dozen or more of Kurt's videos in IL. I bought the bike in Oct and drove it home 80 miles and it's been in storage since.

I have planned; Spiegler brake lines/fluid, FD fluid, Trans/Engine filter, fluids, spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter, steel fuel line quick disconnects, LED turn signals and 4 brake bulbs, park lights(all SuperBrightLEDS), DDM H7 HID upgrade, 35W 4300, have to re-secure one of the mirror safety straps, steel air stems, FOBO bluetooth TPMS, Avon 3D XM front and back at 42/47psi. Probably remove the CD changer since we will use our Sena helmet system and can use the extra storage, going to try the Hudway heads up display for cell navigation- but not sure the geometry and angles will match up - it was only $50 so worth a try. Eventually I will do the weep hole mod. Maybe next fall the clutch and rebuild the FD if evidence necessitates. Eventually like to get the Ohlin shocks, but OUCH!

So, my only question so I am prepared in advance - I want to install LED dash lights - how many bulbs are there?

Thanks much. We'll be cruising in northern GA, NC, Smokey Mountains, etc. hope to run into you on the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Feb 24th, 2019, 12:09 pm

LED Dash Lights

I read in another thread that 6 were needed.
I bought 10 to have a few more from the superbrightleds website.

I’ll do the install as well.

What’s that HID upgrade you’re referring to?
I used an LED for the high beam.
But the low beam could improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

----------------------------------------------------
BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW K1200R: "Drophammer" 2006
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
Sachs MadAss FY125-20
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)

-----------------------------------------------------
post #3 of 22 Old Feb 24th, 2019, 1:46 pm

Re: LED Dash Lights

I think when I installed the dash LEDs, there were 5 lights. I had ordered a six pack from Superbright LEDs so I have one extra in my parts supplies.

You will likely run into some challenges replacing turn signals and brake lights with LEDs unless you get the ones with the resistors. The low draw from LED makes a fault in the brake systems brain.

When you do your HID headlight project, I would suggest doing it while you have the tupperware off for the air filter and fuel filter work. Just a few more screws will allow removal of front nose and will more clearly expose the headlight assembly. I have done the high and low beams both ways....without nose removal and with. MUCH easier with nose piece removed.

Zip ties or steel fishing line leader both work excellently for mirror safety.

I would not be at all concerned about the clutch unless you know of clutch abuse. I am at 108k with NO clutch issue at all. I did have FD rebuilt at around 96k.

Maybe our roads will cross. Wife and I plan to attend MOA rally in Tennessee and will likely make our way to northern GA. We have friends in Hiawasee.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 Old Feb 24th, 2019, 3:31 pm

There are five lights for the dash. I didn't realize that I had four that had burned out, and the difference is amazing.

As you will find, with EVERYTHING on the LT, the actual repair is nothing-it's getting TO the repair that makes us work.

I have 200K on my bike, and will head out as soon as this nasty winter moves on.

If you have benefitted with Kirk's videos, as so many have, let me encourage you to help out his Patreon page-it helps him to make more.

And if you haven't already found out, read whatever John Zeiller posts-it's always the right advice

2000 LT 207K miles
2010 RT 29K miles
2007 RT P 42,000 miles SOLD
1982 vision 550 Yamaha SOLD
1964 Vespa 175 w/sidecar (homemade by neighbor) SOLD
1966 Honda CL77 (2016-17 winter project) As of August 16, the Honda is running! First time in 42 years. Going to be a sweet little around town bike. SOLD,
Four corner SCMA ride 2013
All Yooper SS1000K, 6/17/17
48 state/12 day ride 2016
Great Lakes Challenge, 2011
2018 Fall Classic SS1000 Four-Corners
post #5 of 22 Old Feb 24th, 2019, 4:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munmi View Post
I think when I installed the dash LEDs, there were 5 lights. I had ordered a six pack from Superbright LEDs so I have one extra in my parts supplies.

You will likely run into some challenges replacing turn signals and brake lights with LEDs unless you get the ones with the resistors. The low draw from LED makes a fault in the brake systems brain.

When you do your HID headlight project, I would suggest doing it while you have the tupperware off for the air filter and fuel filter work. Just a few more screws will allow removal of front nose and will more clearly expose the headlight assembly. I have done the high and low beams both ways....without nose removal and with. MUCH easier with nose piece removed.

I would not be at all concerned about the clutch unless you know of clutch abuse. I am at 108k with NO clutch issue at all. I did have FD rebuilt at around 96k.

Maybe our roads will cross. Wife and I plan to attend MOA rally in Tennessee and will likely make our way to northern GA. We have friends in Hiawasee.

Yeah, I installed a LED for the rear brake light. It looked funny, pinkish.
But it caused an issue. Not to the servo brakes, but the center stand module thought there was a problem and the center stand wouldn’t work.
I even bought a new module.
In the end I did a lot of remembering and removed the LED. It worked right away.

LEDs are tricky.

Notahog likes this.

BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
Sachs MadAss FY125-20

post #6 of 22 Old Feb 24th, 2019, 4:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa6bmw View Post
To all you great people, this forum has been an amazing source of ideas and instruction for my planned upcoming first 12,000 maintenance and few upgrades. Mine is a 2004 with 29K miles and I don't the benefit of knowledge of prior maintenance so I'm going all in. I've also watched a dozen or more of Kurt's videos in IL. I bought the bike in Oct and drove it home 80 miles and it's been in storage since.
So, my only question so I am prepared in advance - I want to install LED dash lights - how many bulbs are there?
To the best of my knowledge , there are only 5 bulbs needed for back-lighting of the instruments panel (see 1st photo). On 1999-2004 models, these originals incandescent bulbs are prone to burning long-term as they are always ON (even during the day)

Although in my opinion it serves little purpose , some have also changed the 12 warnings bulbs (see 2nd photo). Should you ever decide to do so, DO NOT EVER REPLACE the Alternator / Charging warning bulb (battery symbol) with a LED. This one needs to stay with same resistance / wattage as the original incandescent bulb (long story...).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200RS_Instruments-Cluster_BACK_1998 (Bulbs with note).JPG
Views:	102
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	150071   Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200RS_Instruments-Cluster_BACK (unused warnings).jpg
Views:	124
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	150073  
saddleman and Notahog like this.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Last edited by sailor; Feb 24th, 2019 at 5:31 pm.
post #7 of 22 Old Feb 24th, 2019, 7:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
To the best of my knowledge , there are only 5 bulbs needed for back-lighting of the instruments panel (see 1st photo). On 1999-2004 models, these originals incandescent bulbs are prone to burning long-term as they are always ON (even during the day)

Although in my opinion it serves little purpose , some have also changed the 12 warnings bulbs (see 2nd photo). Should you ever decide to do so, DO NOT EVER REPLACE the Alternator / Charging warning bulb (battery symbol) with a LED. This one needs to stay with same resistance / wattage as the original incandescent bulb (long story...).
Are the bulbs in the 2005-09 models LED from the factory?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #8 of 22 Old Feb 24th, 2019, 9:15 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Well there are no bulbs in the 05 and up. Just surface mount LEDs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	inst_front_full_85.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	150075  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #9 of 22 Old Feb 24th, 2019, 9:24 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondrage View Post
Yeah, I installed a LED for the rear brake light. It looked funny, pinkish.
But it caused an issue. Not to the servo brakes, but the center stand module thought there was a problem and the center stand wouldn’t work.
I even bought a new module.
In the end I did a lot of remembering and removed the LED. It worked right away.

LEDs are tricky.

Funny the EHCS unit does not monitor the brake lights other than it does receive the brake light output from the brake light relay (so it knows if you have the brakes applied) but the LED ( which is on the output side of that relay) must have caused some sort of feedback to the controller is all I can think of.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #10 of 22 Old Feb 25th, 2019, 1:34 am

The alternator uses the current passing through the warning light as an "exciter". If you replace it with an LED, there will be no excitation current and so it will not charge. Remedy is to provide a parallel resistance. Either a conventional resistor, or a relay will do. The relay gives the benefit that you now have an 'engine running' signal. In cars that is handy for switching towing electrics.

Previous username - ajlelectronics
post #11 of 22 Old Feb 25th, 2019, 5:46 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Well there are no bulbs in the 05 and up. Just surface mount LEDs.
Glad to know I have no bulbs to replace.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #12 of 22 Old Feb 25th, 2019, 1:22 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Wow, thanks for the answers, but now I have to address your questions

I do plan to have tupperware off and doing all this work in one weekend. My understanding from reading other threads out here is that to do the Brake LED you only do the 4 outer bulbs in red LED and leave the center bulb alone to avoid that warning light problem and have read there's a link to the EHCS thing, but that started in 2005 I believe. Mine is 2004. I also understood, and now I'll have to keep reading, that the LED park lights and turn signal lights were straight forward and should be amber for the signals and cool white for the parks. Any verification?

Mondrage - The DDM(website) H7 HID 35W 4300 is the upgrade pretty widely recommended here for the low beam. Seems most of you didn't bother with the high beam. Myself, I am a very fair weather rider - no rain, no darkness, and probably always 2 up cuz the wife loves to ride, so I'm more concerned about daytime visibility with the low beam. Bike already has the fork mounted lights as well.

Munmi - thanks for the encouraging numbers for the clutch and FD. No evidence of concern now - I thought I'd be preemptive. Allegedly this bike was very easily ridden and literally has never seen rain - it is showroom clean when you open the seat. I'll put those two projects off indefinitely.

Sailor - thanks for the advice and I have no plans to mess with the warning bulbs.

davebullock - yes I have already surmised that John Zeiller is Batman.

I will no go to Patreon to help out Kurt.

Thanks guys - great community here. We hope to meet up with some of you soon in some of the upcoming rallies.
post #13 of 22 Old Feb 25th, 2019, 1:28 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Sorry - Kirk not Kurt. I am now pledged.
post #14 of 22 Old Feb 25th, 2019, 11:34 pm

I bought the 74 leds.
My LT is an ‘07.
Will these work for the illumination of the instruments ?
If so, can anyone tell me how to replace them?

BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
Sachs MadAss FY125-20

post #15 of 22 Old Feb 26th, 2019, 2:56 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munmi View Post

So Munmi, does your comment re resistors pertain to the turn signals as well as the brakes? I've read up on the brake lights and I think I'll be okay, but now you have me wondering if the turn signal LEDs will require resistors.
post #16 of 22 Old Feb 26th, 2019, 9:06 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Normally yes as the LT flasher relies on a certain current draw to operate correctly. i.e. if a bulb has burned out then it will flash rapidly. You will need to present a 21 watt load to the flasher unit for each bulb. Some LED lamps already have load resistors as many autos will also fault on a bulb burn out.
Munmi likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #17 of 22 Old Feb 26th, 2019, 11:07 pm

I put LEDs on my LT turn signals and skipped the resistor. I like the faster flashing even if it means I don't get a burned out bulb warning but with the LEDs, that is far less likely. I am hoping the brighter faster flash will get peoples attention better that something is happening in front of them that they need to pay attention to.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #18 of 22 Old Feb 27th, 2019, 1:04 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks guys.
post #19 of 22 Old Mar 1st, 2019, 6:55 am Thread Starter

Garage

We partially completed a move yesterday. When I bought the back last fall I had to put in self storage. I ran the bike for 20 min with Stabil, left it on center stand and kept the battery in the house on trickle. Installed the battery yesterday, tapped the start button and off we went. Smoked for less than a minute. Unfortunately the ride was only about 7 miles but now I have the bug.
Munmi likes this.
post #20 of 22 Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 9:44 pm

Got the red leds for the instruments.
So, how do I install them ?

BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
Sachs MadAss FY125-20

post #21 of 22 Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 9:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondrage View Post
Got the red leds for the instruments.
So, how do I install them ?

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #22 of 22 Old Mar 4th, 2019, 3:52 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You can't install them on an 07 there are no bulbs just surface mount LEDs on the circuit card. Check post #8.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lights.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	150213  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in