• 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By Voyager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 6:56 am Thread Starter
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Fuel Leak

I have a fuel leak :-(
I am wondering if this is something that can be handled by me, or any fellow member locally that are will to help in my garage?

I have searched and see the lines are plastic, pressurized and have "special" crimped connectors.
I am fairly handy but don't want to get in over my head.

I did contact the local dealer and to have them repair it would be very costly, so trying to save some cash.

Any suggestions or willingness to help is greatly appreciated.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 7:03 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Fuel Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gglove View Post
I am wondering if this is something that can be handled by me, or any fellow member locally that are will to help in my garage?

I have searched and see the lines are plastic, pressurized and have "special" crimped connectors.

I did contact the local dealer and to have them repair it would be very costly, so trying to save some cash.

If you are mechanically skilled at all and have some decent tools, this should be an easy fix. Is the leak at the quick disconnects? The originals were plastic and they are famous for breaking. Some pictures of the leak area would be helpful. The most tedious part is getting the fairings off, but that isn’t hard just tedious with lots of screws to keep track of.

The Oetiker clamps come off with a little work. Just don’t twist on them too hard and break a fitting. I generally try to gently pry them open a little with a small screwdriver and then cut them with side cutter pliers. They had be hard to cut so you have to work at them for awhile. You can buy replacement Oetiker clamps and a tool to install them, but I have always just used good quality FI rated screw type clamps to replace the Oetiker and I have not had any issues.
beech likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 7:11 am

Quote:

Where is your fuel leak? If it is the quick disconnects being plastic and cracked, there was a recall by BMW to replace the male portion with metal. If that is your issue, I would call the dealer and see if they are still honoring that recall for your bike. Give them your VIN and see if it is covered.

If they are not still honoring a safety recall and that is still your issue, you can get replacement metal QDs from Beamer Boneyard and they come with new screw clamps. As Matt said, you can cut the old special Otiker clamps off or spread them some to remove the old broken QD pieces.

If you have a different issue, please explane where your leak is.

https://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdiscon.html

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 25 Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 7:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Where is your fuel leak? If it is the quick disconnects being plastic and cracked, there was a recall by BMW to replace the male portion with metal. If that is your issue, I would call the dealer and see if they are still honoring that recall for your bike. Give them your VIN and see if it is covered.

If they are not still honoring a safety recall and that is still your issue....
Gordon,
This safety recalls was published in 2004 and included 2000 to 2004 models of many BMW motorcycles using similar plastic quick-connects. At this point in time, I doubt very much the dealer can do much - although in my opinion it should be good for life of vehicle.

FURTHERMORE, the wording of the recall was such they would not replace anything else EXCEPT an o-ring or either connectors (male or female) ONLY IF there was an actual leak in this area. The replacement was not automatic just because someone had the old plastic version of the male/female quick connect.

I can still see this recall on the Canada-Transport recall site, but it does not appear anymore on the NHTSA for the USA - strange ??

P.S.: I just realized the front page of NHTSA were you enter VIN shows the following remarks about 15 years of age limit. Maybe this is the reason the recall from 2004 is not visible anymore.
------- quote from NHTSA-------
What this VIN search tool covers:
Vehicle safety recalls that are incomplete
Vehicle safety recalls conducted over the past 15 calendar years
------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Last edited by sailor; Feb 22nd, 2019 at 8:09 am.
post #5 of 25 Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 8:54 am
Enjoy The Ride

I'm in Huntersville & have the chrome plated brass connectors that Beemerboneyard sells in stock.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #6 of 25 Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 2:45 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the response.
I have not taken anything off as of yet. I plan on starting the removal this weekend so I can not say where the leak is coming from. It leaks on the R side and and only when it is running.
I will try and get this done and then take some pictures once I find the source.
Thanks for the suggestions.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #7 of 25 Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 3:26 pm

Quote:
Thanks for the response.
I have not taken anything off as of yet. I plan on starting the removal this weekend so I can not say where the leak is coming from. It leaks on the R side and and only when it is running.
I will try and get this done and then take some pictures once I find the source.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Be careful with this if you let the engine run in such "unkown leak" case - have a fire extinguisher on hand just in case. Check / wait 6 seconds after ignition ON without starting the engine - this will let the fuel pump prime for 2 seconds - then pump will stop. When you start the engine the fuel-pump runs full time.

Most leaks happens on right side just under fuel-tank where the 2 fuel quick-couplings are located. Although this is opposite to muffler side, there is 50 PSI of pressure coming out of the main fuel pressure hose - the other rubber hose along the main hose is just a return hose and has little pressure.
Patric likes this.

John (Montreal, CANADA)
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #8 of 25 Old Mar 4th, 2019, 8:51 am Thread Starter

Well I finally got the fuel lines exposed. The two lines one more forward than the other. The back one is the one that is leaking. It does seem to be coming from the connection but difficult to say for sure. I only need to turn the key to on and fuel sprays. How should I proceed from here?

Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4892.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	530.0 KB
ID:	150193  

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #9 of 25 Old Mar 4th, 2019, 9:31 am

It looks like from your picture that you have some quick disconnects on the bike. The first thing to check is the shape of the O ring. I replace mine every time I open them up just to be sure. You would know when/if they have been replaced. You are right, the dealer would cost a small fortune. You have done the hard work getting TO the problem. It's tight working space, and you might feel better replacing both disconnects with new ones. Good job getting this far!

2000 LT 207K miles
2010 RT 29K miles
2007 RT P 42,000 miles SOLD
1982 vision 550 Yamaha SOLD
1964 Vespa 175 w/sidecar (homemade by neighbor) SOLD
1966 Honda CL77 (2016-17 winter project) As of August 16, the Honda is running! First time in 42 years. Going to be a sweet little around town bike. SOLD,
Four corner SCMA ride 2013
All Yooper SS1000K, 6/17/17
48 state/12 day ride 2016
Great Lakes Challenge, 2011
2018 Fall Classic SS1000 Four-Corners
post #10 of 25 Old Mar 4th, 2019, 10:42 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Well I finally got the fuel lines exposed. The two lines one more forward than the other. The back one is the one that is leaking. It does seem to be coming from the connection but difficult to say for sure. I only need to turn the key to on and fuel sprays. How should I proceed from here?

Thanks for your help.
Disconnect both quick disconnects and see if either side is plastic. If the male end is plastic, you must replace it with a metal part. Personally, I would buy a full set of metal QDs and replace them even though BMW seemed happy just replacing the male connector. I bought the Jiffy Tite brand that RPW used to sell, but since RPW changed hands and Oetiker bought Jiffy Tite, it appears that the 5/16” size is no longer made. That is a shame as these are far superior parts with no o-rings to replace.

I think your next best bet is to buy the BeemerBoneyard parts. They are like the OEM parts only metal instead of plastic. Probably the best you can do now.

If the current parts are all metal, then you probably just need to replace the o-rings.
davebullock likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #11 of 25 Old Mar 4th, 2019, 10:48 am Thread Starter

I have never replaced anything on the fuel lines. The quick disconnects are they currently what is on my bike or is that something that can be installed? If so how do I disconeect the quick connects to check the O rings?
Small world connection we have very good freinds that live in Waukesha!! Guutar tiwn USA:-)

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #12 of 25 Old Mar 4th, 2019, 10:49 am Thread Starter

Guitar Town

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #13 of 25 Old Mar 4th, 2019, 10:56 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I have never replaced anything on the fuel lines. The quick disconnects are they currently what is on my bike or is that something that can be installed? If so how do I disconeect the quick connects to check the O rings?
Small world connection we have very good freinds that live in Waukesha!! Guutar tiwn USA:-)
It sounds like you don’t have a service manual. If not, make a Clymer manual your very first purchase. It will cover this and much, much more that you will need to know sooner or later.
davebullock likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #14 of 25 Old Mar 4th, 2019, 12:05 pm

Voyager is right-his advice more complete than mine.

You can simply press the lever down and pull the hose apart. the rest is easy. Cutting through the clamps, etc a bit of a pain, but with new parts, you'll be happy for a long time

Yes, in Waukesha this morning-it's -27 wind chill, so no riding today!

2000 LT 207K miles
2010 RT 29K miles
2007 RT P 42,000 miles SOLD
1982 vision 550 Yamaha SOLD
1964 Vespa 175 w/sidecar (homemade by neighbor) SOLD
1966 Honda CL77 (2016-17 winter project) As of August 16, the Honda is running! First time in 42 years. Going to be a sweet little around town bike. SOLD,
Four corner SCMA ride 2013
All Yooper SS1000K, 6/17/17
48 state/12 day ride 2016
Great Lakes Challenge, 2011
2018 Fall Classic SS1000 Four-Corners
post #15 of 25 Old Mar 4th, 2019, 12:25 pm

Garage

Don't even mess with the plastic ones. Get the metal ones and be done with the repair and sleep better at night.

2002 BMW K1200LT 57k (new to me 1-20-19)
1971 BMW R60/5 27k (father-in-law was original owner)
1972 & 1973 Honda Trail 70s
1971 Honda XL175 (grandfather was original owner)
1997 Ducati 748 Sold
2000 Ducati 996 7k
2001 Ducati Monster 800 Sold
2008 Ducati Monster 696 Sold
1997 Honda CBR600 Sold
1973 Suzuki GT550 (2 stroke!) Sold
1973 Honda CB500 Sold
post #16 of 25 Old Mar 4th, 2019, 2:06 pm

I bought the metal (upgraded) ones from the dealer.
Didn't want to mess with other experiments as I can't return stuff from Nicaragua.
In my case the connectors were fine, but the pump collar (screwed seal?) was loose.
Replaced the connectors anyways since I was already there... (and did the Gemi chip thing).

Good luck

----------------------------------------------------
BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW K1200R: "Drophammer" 2006
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
Sachs MadAss FY125-20
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)

-----------------------------------------------------
post #17 of 25 Old Mar 4th, 2019, 2:17 pm Thread Starter

I do have the manual but can not find it:-( We moved and it is in one of the boxes.
I will find it and look up the fuel lines.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #18 of 25 Old Mar 5th, 2019, 7:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebullock View Post
Voyager is right-his advice more complete than mine.

You can simply press the lever down and pull the hose apart. the rest is easy. Cutting through the clamps, etc a bit of a pain, but with new parts, you'll be happy for a long time

Yes, in Waukesha this morning-it's -27 wind chill, so no riding today!

Waukesha?
Our company’s headquarters are in Sussex. Just around the corner.
I used to spend a lot of time in the area.
Lovely when not frozen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

----------------------------------------------------
BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW K1200R: "Drophammer" 2006
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
Sachs MadAss FY125-20
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)

-----------------------------------------------------
post #19 of 25 Old Mar 8th, 2019, 1:21 pm Thread Starter

I am attaching some pictures of the line that is leaking disconnected. Is the O ring closest to the white section? I did find my manual and the fuel line section really does not discuss or display the quick connects.

Thanks again for your help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4899.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	964.8 KB
ID:	150267   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4897.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	150269  

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #20 of 25 Old Mar 8th, 2019, 1:27 pm Thread Starter

Here is the manual I have.
picture will lot load in drag and drop.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4901.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	150271  

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #21 of 25 Old Mar 8th, 2019, 1:46 pm

Those look like the plastic ones and should be replaced. Look at the pic and check for cracks. Also where the fuel line attaches too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	QD.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	150275  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #22 of 25 Old Mar 8th, 2019, 1:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I am attaching some pictures of the line that is leaking disconnected. Is the O ring closest to the white section? I did find my manual and the fuel line section really does not discuss or display the quick connects.

Looks like plastic parts in the pictures. I would order new o-rings from BBY and get the ones with metal QDs attached.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #23 of 25 Old Mar 8th, 2019, 2:34 pm

I recently replaced my GPS and as I was wiring in the unit, I kept smelling fuel. As luck would have it, the OEM quick-disconnect cracked right where the locking collar sits.

Bought the BeemerBoneyard metal replacements. Toughest part is getting the locking collars off the old ones. Once that was done, it was pretty easy. Took about 2 hours and that's only because this was the first time I'd taken the tupperware off the right side of the bike. Fairly straightforward job. If you want some expert advice, check out Kirk Johnson's video on how to replace these fittings. Kirk is a wealth of knowledge on anything related to the K12.

Good luck!
post #24 of 25 Old Mar 8th, 2019, 3:59 pm

Quote:

These factory plastic quick connects should have been changed A LONG TIME AGO. These are a disaster (or fire) waiting to happen at 50 PSI going out of inboard hose. The MALE part of these will always crack with age. See attached photo to see where these MALE section always crack / break... Just apply a bit of force and yours will break - they have to be cracked to leak - otherwise problem is a damaged ORING.

This subject has been discussed here about 100 times during last 10 years - where have you been all this time ;-)

BeemerBoneyard (BBY) sells metal replacement kit (MALE + FEMALE):
https://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdiscon.html

BMW dealer will sell only the MALE section in metal as the factory has discontinued selling the plastic MALE. There use to be a an official recall about this in 2004 - unless you were the original registered owner in 2004 (at the time of the recall) you may NOT have been notified by mail. At the time, they would replace these ONLY if they actually leaked at the moment of your visit to dealer - pretty stupid as you would need to be towed there anyway.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	K1200RS_Fuel-connectors_plastic-cracked (with notes).jpg
Views:	31
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	150279  

John (Montreal, CANADA)

Last edited by sailor; Mar 8th, 2019 at 4:15 pm.
post #25 of 25 Old Mar 8th, 2019, 7:01 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I am the original owner of the bike. I have always used the dealer for services so have not delved into much regarding servicing. I will look to see if the waist of the fitting has a crack as well as look into to ordering the metal replacements.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in