• 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By RemonLT
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old Feb 16th, 2019, 8:24 am Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Remus Exhaust

I have a Remus exhaust for sale in the classifieds.
radar41 and kbob12 like this.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old Feb 16th, 2019, 9:31 am

Re: Remus Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
Dave, I pulled up some videos to try and get an idea on how much louder it is than stock and even though it is tough to tell on a video, I am interested in it seeing mine has a hole in it anyways. Can anyone tell me how much louder the Remus is over stock? The videos still sounded pretty good.
kbob12 likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 Old Feb 16th, 2019, 10:20 am

I had a Remus on a K12GT, the sound was great!
beech likes this.

post #4 of 31 Old Feb 16th, 2019, 10:40 am

And, unlike many aftermarket exhaust systems, you can get a couple of extra HP for your bike plus it is way lighter. Noise is of course a little more, not much and even with the baffle removed it is okay. The large silencer body does a good job. Keep in mine, California has a law about aftermarket exhaust now. I suspect mainly the harley boys and girls will learn about that first.

Beech

I change your tires $40, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #5 of 31 Old Feb 16th, 2019, 11:45 am

Garage

No Remus on my RT (ever) but I had one on my XR1200. A real quality piece with one exception. The exception is that the weld on the rear header at the exhaust port was huge, actually reducing the ID of the pipe a couple of MM. It took some time to grind it down to match the port and header ID. That aside, the Remus pipe was the best made aftermarket exhaust in my limited experience, good welds, everything lined up well during assembly, really well made muffler, etc.

As far as noise, the XR (DB killer in) was just this side of my obnoxious line, far louder than the RT. My next door neighbor is a friend, she made a comment about hearing me come and go on the XR. Not loud enough to make her angry, just loud enough, in spite of my efforts to keep the noise down in my 'hood, she could hear me inside her house. Not scientific but I hope that helps you get an idea of the volume level.

Somebody will probably correct me but IIRC the the change between the older laws in Europe (what the Remus probably meets, DB killer in) to Euro V (what the new BMWs are built to meet) is about two DB, something like a 50% increase is sound energy.

How loud is too loud is up to you (and at some point your local police), good luck.

Quote:

Well, to be Frank,

I'd have to change my screen name
post #6 of 31 Old Feb 16th, 2019, 12:49 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The only thing I really noticed on a bike with a Remus is you cannot use a socket and extension on the inner bolts for the manifold like you can for the stock exhaust. Make getting the torque correct a bit of a pain.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 31 Old Feb 16th, 2019, 8:21 pm

It's mine. Thanks Dave.
Voyager likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #8 of 31 Old Feb 16th, 2019, 10:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Dave, I pulled up some videos to try and get an idea on how much louder it is than stock and even though it is tough to tell on a video, I am interested in it seeing mine has a hole in it anyways. Can anyone tell me how much louder the Remus is over stock? The videos still sounded pretty good.
It sounds almost stock at an idle, and roars when you need to move!
I like it because it allows easy access for changing the trans fluid, and it weighs a bit less, too!
DanDiver likes this.

Bob
Covina, CA
2000 K1200LTI Champagne

post #9 of 31 Old Feb 16th, 2019, 10:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
That is a steal of a price!!! Wow! Someone will be very happy!
(I love mine, too bad I paid retail!)

Bob
Covina, CA
2000 K1200LTI Champagne

post #10 of 31 Old Feb 17th, 2019, 7:51 am

Quote:
I had the same on my LT (bought from a member of this forum) and it really didn't seem to be any louder at low speed, but at higher RPMs it did sound a little different. I preferred the look and I think it might have weighed less than the stock unit. If you don't have help installing it, put a little grease on the ends of each header pipe to hold the washer in place.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #11 of 31 Old Feb 17th, 2019, 10:35 am

The studs and nuts for the header can show their age. Generally you end up pulling a stud when trying to remove the nuts. No worries, wire brush everything. I do suggest new nuts from BMW. The torque involved is 16 ft/lbs. You should use new header seals also. Neversieze is your friend.

Beech

I change your tires $40, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #12 of 31 Old Feb 17th, 2019, 2:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
It's mine. Thanks Dave.
Now we’ll hear him coming 6 miles away at CCR.
pkpr1998 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #13 of 31 Old Feb 17th, 2019, 3:24 pm

Garage
I just bought one last week from Michigan Motorcycle on eBay. It's a Remus Innovation. Not cheap, but else I had to weld the header of my stock exhaust because of a crack. Hope it sounds nice 🙂 When fitted I will try to post the sound on YouTube. There is nothing out there with the combination k1200lt and Remus.
post #14 of 31 Old Feb 17th, 2019, 3:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemonLT View Post
I just bought one last week from Michigan Motorcycle on eBay. It's a Remus Innovation. Not cheap, but else I had to weld the header of my stock exhaust because of a crack. Hope it sounds nice 🙂 When fitted I will try to post the sound on YouTube. There is nothing out there with the combination k1200lt and Remus.
Before and after would be nice if possible

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #15 of 31 Old Feb 18th, 2019, 12:04 am

I bought a used Remus from a German shop just this past spring. I have a 2000 LT. It is not a lot louder except when accelerating. I am an IBA member and have made some long rides and I do not find it objectionable at all. I love it and that is a good price.
kbob12 likes this.

Still rolling in Southern Oregon
post #16 of 31 Old Feb 24th, 2019, 1:01 pm

Was it sold?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

----------------------------------------------------
BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW K1200R: "Drophammer" 2006
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)

-----------------------------------------------------
post #17 of 31 Old Feb 24th, 2019, 1:06 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondrage View Post
Was it sold?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sold Sold Sold Yesterday
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #18 of 31 Old Apr 6th, 2019, 7:35 am

Garage

Quote:
Before and after would be nice if possible
I tried to record the difference in sound with my mobile phone. Not really good to hear maybe, but I think it gives a nice impression.

My experience after 40 kilometers: I drive with a constant smile on my face :-) It seems like the engine revs faster, which in itself would make sense because the flow should be better. The original exhaust is really quiet, for daily use I can imagine that this is crucial. For my hobby use of the LT I am very happy with the sound of the Remus. With a downgear you also hear a nice rumble, when driving on the CC there is almost no noticeable difference. After dissembling my old exhaust, I heard a lot of rubbish in the collector. And there was a crack just before the collector, a known problem with the standard exhaust.

davebullock and kbob12 like this.
post #19 of 31 Old Apr 6th, 2019, 9:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemonLT View Post
I tried to record the difference in sound with my mobile phone. Not really good to hear maybe, but I think it gives a nice impression.

My experience after 40 kilometers: I drive with a constant smile on my face :-) It seems like the engine revs faster, which in itself would make sense because the flow should be better. The original exhaust is really quiet, for daily use I can imagine that this is crucial. For my hobby use of the LT I am very happy with the sound of the Remus. With a downgear you also hear a nice rumble, when driving on the CC there is almost no noticeable difference. After dissembling my old exhaust, I heard a lot of rubbish in the collector. And there was a crack just before the collector, a known problem with the standard exhaust.
Remon, your timing is perfect. I just got mine off the lift last night and am about to take it out and see for myself but I can hear the difference in your video and based on my running it on the lift, that is about what I would expect.

I like your adjustable strut on the FD. Did you put that on or did it come with it from a PO? It looks like it is about in the normal position so if you added it, what purpose was it for, raising, lowering?

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #20 of 31 Old Apr 6th, 2019, 11:08 am
Lifetime Supporter

The Remus isn’t as much louder as I thought it might be. I could barely tell the difference in the video, but then you tend to lose a lot in recording such things. And it takes a lot of exhaust noise to drown out the LTs natural engine mechanical and induction noise.
kbob12 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #21 of 31 Old Apr 6th, 2019, 11:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

Does the Remus have a catcon? If it does, I would be surprised their would be enough back pressure difference to make a detectabale performance difference. If they dispense with the catcon, then I could see there being a bigger difference, although I suspect you then have an illegal exhaust system.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #22 of 31 Old Apr 6th, 2019, 2:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
The Remus isn’t as much louder as I thought it might be. I could barely tell the difference in the video, but then you tend to lose a lot in recording such things. And it takes a lot of exhaust noise to drown out the LTs natural engine mechanical and induction noise.
Trust me, there are times at slow speed that it is obnoxiously louder by comparison. No, no catcon in sight and yes, I do feel a difference in how the bike runs. No inspection in GA for cycles so that will not be a problem.

It also came with an add on from the PO that was removed but passed on by Dave. A small 4 inch tube to install in the back end. After a couple of hours riding, I decided to try it and see if it would take some of those annoying louder resonances away and although I didn't leave my neighborhood, it made a really big difference. I think I will leave that pipe in for my next ride and see how it does and how that little addition affects performance.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #23 of 31 Old Apr 6th, 2019, 2:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Trust me, there are times at slow speed that it is obnoxiously louder by comparison. No, no catcon in sight and yes, I do feel a difference in how the bike runs. No inspection in GA for cycles so that will not be a problem.

It also came with an add on from the PO that was removed but passed on by Dave. A small 4 inch tube to install in the back end. After a couple of hours riding, I decided to try it and see if it would take some of those annoying louder resonances away and although I didn't leave my neighborhood, it made a really big difference. I think I will leave that pipe in for my next ride and see how it does and how that little addition affects performance.
I knew you were a closet outlaw biker.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #24 of 31 Old Apr 6th, 2019, 7:56 pm

Quote:
I knew you were a closet outlaw biker.
My dark streak continues with a chrome hex head banjo bolt from the Harley dealer on the rear brake line.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #25 of 31 Old Apr 6th, 2019, 8:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
My dark streak continues with a chrome hex head banjo bolt from the Harley dealer on the rear brake line.
You will be dropping parts along the highway now.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #26 of 31 Old Apr 6th, 2019, 8:50 pm

Quote:
You will be dropping parts along the highway now.
Seeing I am now forgetting to tighten things like valve cover bolts, that wouldn't surprise me.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #27 of 31 Old Apr 6th, 2019, 8:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Seeing I am now forgetting to tighten things like valve cover bolts, that wouldn't surprise me.
That harley part is clearly a bad omen. Better remove it soon!
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #28 of 31 Old Apr 8th, 2019, 7:33 am

Garage

Quote:
Remon, your timing is perfect. I just got mine off the lift last night and am about to take it out and see for myself but I can hear the difference in your video and based on my running it on the lift, that is about what I would expect.

I like your adjustable strut on the FD. Did you put that on or did it come with it from a PO? It looks like it is about in the normal position so if you added it, what purpose was it for, raising, lowering?
The previous owner put it on, it's an adjustable paralever arm. It now set to lower te LT a little bit. With the stiffer rearshock it goes very well through corners. Found some additional info on the web: On Two Wheels: Adjustable paralever arm
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.
post #29 of 31 Old Apr 8th, 2019, 1:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:

Hmmm... does the adjustable strut put a bit of stress on the drive shaft and FD? I am wondering if it can lower the seat height by about an inch without tearing up anything on straight line cruising besides cutting into the lean angle?

Bob
Covina, CA
2000 K1200LTI Champagne

post #30 of 31 Old Apr 8th, 2019, 2:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbob12 View Post
Hmmm... does the adjustable strut put a bit of stress on the drive shaft and FD? I am wondering if it can lower the seat height by about an inch without tearing up anything on straight line cruising besides cutting into the lean angle?
As long as it wasn't an extreme adjustment, I don't think it would tear anything up much faster than normal riding. The u-joint angle of the shaft changes with every bump and dip and is not straight at any time but probably comes closer the more the shock is compressed. If you did take note of the OP mentioning that he has a stiffer spring to compensate for the additional sag distance under load. You don't want to be bottoming out the rear shock. Speed bumps are bad enough without it being any lower to the ground and depending on your riding style, lower also means more easily foot peg dragging in the corners. My thoughts are that this would be affecting the rear U-joint more than the front and that is where the additional stress of a greater angle would be most apparent. I am not sure if it would contribute to any greater shaft jacking as the angle increases.

There are probably people on here that know more about the effects than I do. I think Beech recently posted a nice Youtube on how the rotational speeds change through a shaft as the angles change.
kbob12 likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #31 of 31 Old Apr 8th, 2019, 6:57 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Thanks so much, Gordon... it is what I was thinking as far as range of motion, and stress factors. I have the rear shock fairly soft. I weigh 135 lbs with a 30" inseam and a lower seat. I also have Ohlin shocks front and rear and all is great except for having to stop on sharp inclines which I am hoping for any gains in stability!

Bob
Covina, CA
2000 K1200LTI Champagne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in