Internal fuel lines - Beemer Boneyard - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Feb 12th, 2019, 3:30 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Internal fuel lines - Beemer Boneyard

I Just got my order from BBY and one of the items is the internal fuel lines. I was surprised to see that they are very different than what is on the bike and they are more of a harder plastic. Do these have a long lifespan? Anyone experience failure with them? Also, they are much longer than what is on there and it doesn't look like they can be shortened up enough. Do you just cut them as short as you can and put them on? Does anyone have a picture of the fuel assembly after putting these lines on? Thanks!

2002 BMW K1200LT 57k (new to me 1-20-19)
1971 BMW R60/5 27k (father-in-law was original owner)
1972 & 1973 Honda Trail 70s
1971 Honda XL175 (grandfather was original owner)
1997 Ducati 748 Sold
2000 Ducati 996 7k
2001 Ducati Monster 800 Sold
2008 Ducati Monster 696 Sold
1997 Honda CBR600 Sold
1973 Suzuki GT550 (2 stroke!) Sold
1973 Honda CB500 Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Feb 12th, 2019, 4:23 pm

Re: Internal fuel lines - Beemer Boneyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazzz View Post
I Just got my order from BBY and one of the items is the internal fuel lines. I was surprised to see that they are very different than what is on the bike and they are more of a harder plastic. Do these have a long lifespan? Anyone experience failure with them? Also, they are much longer than what is on there and it doesn't look like they can be shortened up enough. Do you just cut them as short as you can and put them on? Does anyone have a picture of the fuel assembly after putting these lines on? Thanks!
I have used this type of hose for 3 years now - only on the curved section on top of the fuel filter. I prefer to used the straight rubber submersible hose for the short lower section (below filter).

A few other members with K1200LT here have also used the same as replacement (from BeemerBoneyard OR EuroMoto-Electrics).
Many other manufacturers including some more recent BMW models used similar corrugated hoses (not made of rubber).

The answers to your questions have been discussed in much details recently in this thread (including some photos):
https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt...ml#post1494242

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Last edited by sailor; Feb 12th, 2019 at 4:38 pm.
post #3 of 3 Old Feb 12th, 2019, 5:14 pm

Garage
Re: Internal fuel lines - Beemer Boneyard

I just installed my kit last evening, new fuel filter and the hoses. I used one of them, marking out about where I wanted to trim the ends and then gave it a bit extra to allow it to bow out a bit more. You have lots of room on the long metal part that is on the downstream side of the filter and it flexes a bit to reduce tension on the corrugated portion. As said, I also used a small piece of fuel line from the extra length I had left over for doing the external lines. This is the second set I got from BB...the first set was on my R for four years and I changed filters every couple of years, seemed fine. I don't actually know why the two short straight pieces were in the kit, though, unless they were for the upstream rubber hose into the filter...they do give you an abundance of clamps, too, lol.

Funny, just realized I didn't get the screen filter with my kit and my pump had one on it, although it looked fine. Good luck, Kirk's video is all the help you need, and I had a strap wrench that worked easily, too.

Oklahoma City, OK. 2003 K1200 LT. "Remember men, if the women don't find ya handsome, at least let 'em find ya handy." Red Green

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in