fuel disconnect - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By Stephaneb100
  • 2 Post By saddleman
  • 2 Post By saddleman
  • 1 Post By Stephaneb100
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Feb 10th, 2019, 6:42 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Stephaneb100's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 26
fuel disconnect

I've seen tons of posts on the need to replace the plastic fuel quick disconnect, but mine, altought plastic, are simply the usual unions. Any issues with those
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190210_195929[1].jpg
Views:	102
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	149773  

Last edited by Stephaneb100; Feb 10th, 2019 at 7:01 pm.
Stephaneb100 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old Feb 10th, 2019, 7:59 pm
Senior Member
 
bmwcoolk1200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,958
Re: fuel disconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephaneb100 View Post
I've seen tons of posts on the need to replace the plastic fuel quick disconnect, but mine, altought plastic, are simply the usual unions. Any issues with those
The plastic unions are not an issue. The plastic male end of the QD's tends to crack and then leak unlike those unions you have pictured. I haven't heard of any issue with what you have. I don't have a picture of the plastic QD's but have marked where they crack on the metal ones sold by Beamer Boneyard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new-cpc-chrome-plated-brass-fuel-line-quick-disconnect-set-oilheads-k-bikes-3.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	469.7 KB
ID:	149775  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwcoolk1200 is online now  
post #3 of 15 Old Feb 10th, 2019, 10:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,100
Re: fuel disconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephaneb100 View Post
I've seen tons of posts on the need to replace the plastic fuel quick disconnect, but mine, altought plastic, are simply the usual unions. Any issues with those
I have heard no issues with these as long as you don’t mind the inconvenience. Not sure the purpose of these. Might as well run one piece of fuel hose from tank to fuel rail if you aren’t going to have a QD. Then you have no parts to fail.
Axle likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 Old Feb 10th, 2019, 11:02 pm
Senior Member
 
bmwcoolk1200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,958
Re: fuel disconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I have heard no issues with these as long as you don’t mind the inconvenience. Not sure the purpose of these. Might as well run one piece of fuel hose from tank to fuel rail if you aren’t going to have a QD. Then you have no parts to fail.
John has line clamps that squeeze the hose so fuel doesn't come out while you separate those unions. Slightly more trouble, I agree but functional in not having to drain the tank to remove it. The QD's are definitely a better solution for this application as things like the air filter are under the tank so removal is required periodically.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwcoolk1200 is online now  
post #5 of 15 Old Feb 11th, 2019, 6:01 am Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Stephaneb100's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 26
Re: fuel disconnect

I didn't even try to clamp the hoses before disconnecting and I didn't loose that much fuel.... until I had to plug it again to get another container oh so much joy!!!
But really, the quick disconnect would be easier, but at 80$ ? and then, add another 40-ish to ship to Canada.
So unless they were problematic, I think I can prefer to afford a little bit of spilled gaz.
mr1150gs likes this.
Stephaneb100 is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old Feb 11th, 2019, 6:48 am
Senior Member
 
mtrevelino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Williamsburg, VA, USA
Posts: 2,543
Re: fuel disconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephaneb100 View Post
I've seen tons of posts on the need to replace the plastic fuel quick disconnect, but mine, altough plastic, are simply the usual unions. Any issues with those
My 2000 LT did not come with the fuel line disconnects. I did have one of those plastic coupling crack and create a fuel leak which took me forever to track down. It only leaked at certain times. I did pull those out and installed the "brass" fuel line disconnects. Here is the thread on my issue and where the leak was coming from:


https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt...fuel-leak.html

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mtrevelino is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old Feb 11th, 2019, 9:28 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,100
Re: fuel disconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
John has line clamps that squeeze the hose so fuel doesn't come out while you separate those unions. Slightly more trouble, I agree but functional in not having to drain the tank to remove it. The QD's are definitely a better solution for this application as things like the air filter are under the tank so removal is required periodically.
Talk to a few auto engineers and ask them where a common failure point is on a fuel hose.

Yes, the LT is a goofy design when it comes to air filter maintenance or electrics access so being able to remove the tank easily is a nice convenience. That is they I had no qualms spending $80 for good QDs. I have used mine a dozen or more times over the years so I am down to probably $5 per use or so and that seems like a good value to me.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old Feb 11th, 2019, 9:56 am
Member
 
HOGnDAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ, USA
Posts: 65
Re: fuel disconnect

My 05 came to me with stock quick disconnects that worked just fine. The bike had 50k on it so as a precaution I replaced them with the fancy, high dollar,racing,guaranteed to make your bike faster,never have to worry about them again units.(not from Beemer Boneyard) They were a bust for me. By the time I could get them together or apart my garage had the smell and look of a fueling station. I went with a couple of brass barbs and hose clamps. I figure for the number of times I'm going to be that deep into the bike that it's not going to be that big of a deal to clamp the hose and then plug the end to prevent loss of gas. Plus to carry a spare is $ instead of $$$.
HOGnDAS is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old Feb 11th, 2019, 10:37 pm
Senior Member
 
bmwcoolk1200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,958
Re: fuel disconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Talk to a few auto engineers and ask them where a common failure point is on a fuel hose.

Yes, the LT is a goofy design when it comes to air filter maintenance or electrics access so being able to remove the tank easily is a nice convenience. That is they I had no qualms spending $80 for good QDs. I have used mine a dozen or more times over the years so I am down to probably $5 per use or so and that seems like a good value to me.
I got the JiffyTite at your recommendation and am not sorry. I did not want to be carrying around a bag of O-rings other than to give away to others

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwcoolk1200 is online now  
post #10 of 15 Old Feb 12th, 2019, 3:22 am
Enjoy The Ride
 
saddleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Huntersville, NC, USA
Posts: 3,884
Re: fuel disconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
I got the JiffyTite at your recommendation and am not sorry. I did not want to be carrying around a bag of O-rings other than to give away to others
160,000 miles ago I installed the o-ring type QD on my 2004 LT & have not had to replace any o-rings yet. Like any o-ring it needs a little lube each time you click it back together.

I like sticking with the stock type QD because I can reuse the plastic QD to make a fuel tank drain line, fuel pressure gauge setup & made long enough fuel lines so I can run a LT with the fuel tank off. I have several sets of the plastic QD's in a drawer.
Voyager and krazzz like this.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
saddleman is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old Feb 12th, 2019, 3:28 am
Enjoy The Ride
 
saddleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Huntersville, NC, USA
Posts: 3,884
Re: fuel disconnect

If any one does use the brass barb connectors I would at least polish the sharp edge off of the barb so as not to tear the hose when it is disconnected. I use a cotter pin puller & a heat gun before I remove the barb end. Once the hose is warm the cotter pin puller will go in between the barb & hose all the way around to release the barb.
Voyager and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
saddleman is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old Feb 12th, 2019, 1:13 pm
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 59
Garage
Thumbs up Re: fuel disconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post

I like sticking with the stock type QD because I can reuse the plastic QD to make a fuel tank drain line, fuel pressure gauge setup & made long enough fuel lines so I can run a LT with the fuel tank off. I have several sets of the plastic QD's in a drawer.
Fantastic ideas on the extra uses for the plastic QD. So the plastic ones fit into the metal ones?
krazzz is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old Feb 12th, 2019, 4:35 pm
Enjoy The Ride
 
saddleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Huntersville, NC, USA
Posts: 3,884
Re: fuel disconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazzz View Post
Fantastic ideas on the extra uses for the plastic QD. So the plastic ones fit into the metal ones?
If you use the chrome plated brass connectors from Beemerboneyard they are made from the same company that makes the plastic OEM BMW connectors & they are interchangeable with each other.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
saddleman is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old Feb 12th, 2019, 7:23 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Stephaneb100's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 26
Re: fuel disconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
My 2000 LT did not come with the fuel line disconnects. I did have one of those plastic coupling crack and create a fuel leak which took me forever to track down. It only leaked at certain times. I did pull those out and installed the "brass" fuel line disconnects. Here is the thread on my issue and where the leak was coming from:


https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt...fuel-leak.html
mtrevelino, respect for your pain !
mtrevelino likes this.

'99 K1200LT 85,000miles
Graduated from '86 Venture Royal
Stephaneb100 is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old Feb 16th, 2019, 12:36 pm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 14
Re: fuel disconnect

I replaced the two fuel Qd's with aluminum fuel line cut pieces from Summit Racing. You need too take a longer length - e.g. 8" and use a tube bender to get a nice radius for your pieces. Then use Summit als sells "ideal" high pressure fuel clamps...don't use the ones from the auto store.
Geo
Geo in Milford is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'99LT fuel problem, please help mta0202 K1200LT 22 Mar 8th, 2015 8:54 pm
BMW Fuel Treatment JayJay RT Series 10 Sep 30th, 2013 6:10 pm
Octane Booster timgray K1200LT 22 Sep 13th, 2013 6:53 pm
Brass Fuel Quick Disconnect bigbear K1200LT 11 Nov 15th, 2006 9:38 pm
99 fuel tank removal questions jimbeard K1200LT 4 Jun 25th, 2006 9:16 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome