Old Bike...New GPS - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Feb 8th, 2019, 12:27 pm Thread Starter

Old Bike...New GPS

I really need some help with an issue that has been bothering me for awhile. I have a 2002 K12LT which was pretty well loaded out when I bought the bike (used). The bike also had the original BMW Motorrad Navigator (StreetPilot), which I presume was one of the first GPS units BMW offered on the LT.

Obviously, there is no support for this unit any longer so I decided it was time to seek a replacement. (tough navigating in Florida when the maps are all New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania) Anyway, the GPS was mounted on the dash utilizing the space where the map light used to reside. I managed to remove the wiring to the 3-pin plug on the frame. This plug provides 12VDC, ground, and the plus side of the external speaker for routing GPS audio to the right speaker in the helmet.

In looking at some of the newer units, it appears there are very few that run off 12VDC. Most seem to be 5 volts unless it is a Garmin unit the has a BMW equivalent. The question is: How can I upgrade to a better GPS, try and maintain the ability to use the plug that BMW has provided without getting into a major jerryrigged audio system.

I've looked at several threads on this site that have upgraded to the IV and V units, but they were mostly on bikes that had the unit mounted on the sharktail, not the dash. My older bike doesn't have that feature.

This is probably old stuff on this forum, but any help that could be provided would be welcome. I'm willing to even look at a non-current unit, (IV-V) if that makes the change easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Feb 8th, 2019, 7:50 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Old Bike...New GPS

I know what you are going through. Most of the bike based Garmin GPS are 12 v Zuno 660, 550, Zumo 595LM and 396 LM. I was running a 660 and bought a used BMW Navigator V for 400 bucks and loving it. Used the same mount for the 660. I know your mount will not work with the newer GPSs. But they come with motorcycle power cords that wire right up to 12. But is you really want to go cheaper just use a car based Garmin and wire up the provided cigarette light power cord to 12 v. I had a satt radio that I wired up the 12 cigarette lighter plug with soldered wires and tied those into the map light in the dash. Worked like a charm. Hope this gives you some ideas.

OK I just re-read your post, your best bet is to cut the three pin plug off that cable and just wire up the new GPS cable to it. 12v to 12V, audio to audio and ground to ground. Make good soldered splices and insulate with heat shrink.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Feb 9th, 2019, 8:13 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

My bike is a 2011 R1200RT premium and came with no GPS. It seems that Garmin is the "go-to" GPS brand for motorcycles but I had an old TomTom system in my car and when they offered me a big discount this past Christmas, I decided to go with their new TomTom Rider 550 motorcycle GPS. Wouldn't you know, their standard mount that fits probably 90% of all other motorcycles wouldn't work for the RT's handlebars. The result was a two-fold challenge. Either buying an expensive aftermarket mount or fabricating my own. Then, where to connect to a "switched" power source in order to have a protected power circuit that would also automatically shut off power to the unit and prevent battery drain if I accidentally forgot to manually shut the power off when parked.

Thanks to the search feature on this forum, the wiring schematic in my Haynes service manual, and my (marginal) innovative skills, I managed to accomplish the task. I did not check to see the voltage at the unused accessory connector already built-in the wiring harness, but I am assuming it is a 12V DC circuit. I believe just about all automotive accessory devices on the market are constructed to accept a 12v power source. Those operating on less most likely have a built-in current limiter/regulator for operating on lower voltage.

Turned out that my greatest challenge was getting the correct companion connector for the wiring harness from my local BMW dealer. I'll not go into more detail (rant) except to say that the 120 miles round trip to the BMW dealer in Asheville, NC was a much better experience in customer service/attention/appreciation than the 24 miles round trip to my local dealer!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Two challenges remain, however, becoming proficient in understanding the operation of the device, and Bluetooth pairing it to my helmet Scala radio. I also will probably need to get a sun shade for the screen but more important to use Bluetooth verbal communication in order to keep my visual attention/concentration to the road ahead.

I'm not familiar with your model bike but believe if you take the time to research the subject here, buy a service manual, and additional internet reading, you will arm yourself with enough knowledge for an acceptable solution.

Never declare a cherished memory as "the best day of my life"...it will forever diminish the possibility for "Tomorrow" being the "Best Day!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old Feb 9th, 2019, 3:54 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input. I do have the Clymer shop manual for the bike and the little 3-pin AMP plug is not listed on the wiring diagram. I would guess since it was probably a dealer-installed option, Clymer didn't show it. Fortunately, I have all the original owners manuals for the bike and the plug is shown on the main wiring diagram in the ComSystem manual.

I don't think there is gong to be an easy fix for this. On one hand, the "purist" in me wants to retain as much of the BMW cachet as possible. The practical side says just buy a GPS and make it work. I see Garmin makes a motorcycle power cord that essentially reduces the 12VDC to 5VDC. This harness has bare ends for attaching to the battery or a switched circuit (my 3-pin AMP plug). But, unless it is a unit designed for a truck, there is no external speaker jack on most automotive GPS units. They rely on Bluetooth technology. Which brings up another issue...if I go the Bluetooth route to give me turn-by-turn directions, will the unit interface with a small Bluetooth earpiece or do I have to retrofit EVERYTHING?

I read that TomTom included a headset when they first brought their motorcycle GPS to market, but the reviews I've read don't speak well of the unit. So I solve one problem only to create another.

J&M has recently developed a system for the newer Goldwings that would be perfect for us if it could be adapted. It allows the use of Bluetooth for OEM audio and also pairs with your phone. It's all plug and play. Pretty cool...if you own a Wing.

I'll find a way to make something work. It's too bad we are at the mercy of aftermarket suppliers that decide when to stop support of products most of us have shelled out good money for. The original Navigator/StreetPilot works well for my needs. I don't need to be carrying on a telephone conversation while I'm fighting traffic on US-19. My attention should be foremost on the traffic around me. It's like the old adage in aviation: aviate; navigate; communicate.

Sometimes less is more.

Thanks again for your input...I'm still open to suggestions to try and keep my Grande Dame running down the road.
post #5 of 9 Old Feb 9th, 2019, 4:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdutyagain View Post
I really need some help with an issue that has been bothering me for awhile. I have a 2002 K12LT which was pretty well loaded out when I bought the bike (used). The bike also had the original BMW Motorrad Navigator (StreetPilot), which I presume was one of the first GPS units BMW offered on the LT.

Obviously, there is no support for this unit any longer so I decided it was time to seek a replacement. (tough navigating in Florida when the maps are all New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania) Anyway, the GPS was mounted on the dash utilizing the space where the map light used to reside. I managed to remove the wiring to the 3-pin plug on the frame. This plug provides 12VDC, ground, and the plus side of the external speaker for routing GPS audio to the right speaker in the helmet.

In looking at some of the newer units, it appears there are very few that run off 12VDC. Most seem to be 5 volts unless it is a Garmin unit the has a BMW equivalent. The question is: How can I upgrade to a better GPS, try and maintain the ability to use the plug that BMW has provided without getting into a major jerryrigged audio system.

I've looked at several threads on this site that have upgraded to the IV and V units, but they were mostly on bikes that had the unit mounted on the sharktail, not the dash. My older bike doesn't have that feature.

This is probably old stuff on this forum, but any help that could be provided would be welcome. I'm willing to even look at a non-current unit, (IV-V) if that makes the change easier.
My Nav 5 hooked right up to both the three pin and two pin connectors from my VOICE II intercom. I forget now the purpose of the 2 pin connector, but it may be related to the buttons on the cradle. I did have to remove an adapter that came on the plug from the Nav 5 cradle to make it fit the connector on the back from the intercom. It was plug and play all the way going from Nav 3 with cradle to Nav 5 with cradle.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #6 of 9 Old Feb 9th, 2019, 6:27 pm Thread Starter

How do you determine if you have the Voice II system? My Navigator went directly from the Garmin Power/Audio out plugs on the head unit to a 3-pin AMP plug the was located on the left side of the bike. There was a: +12VDC; Ground; Audio+. This fed switched power to the unit, audio FROM the unit to the right speaker in my helmet. I was surprised the ring portion of the 3.5mm plug wasn't tied to ground. So the ground floats on the audio side.

The main wiring diagram to include the plug is in the ComSystem manual. It is part number:99 99 0 000 190 There is nothing in my documentation that mentions Voice II.
post #7 of 9 Old Feb 9th, 2019, 6:51 pm Thread Starter

I don"t believe the LT came with the Voice system until 2005.
post #8 of 9 Old Feb 10th, 2019, 8:37 am Thread Starter

Found a 660 online last night with the motorcycle wiring harness. Pulled the trigger and it should be here by mid-week. The good news is it has an audio out so I can get turn-by-turn information in the right helmet speaker (I hope). So 1 problem solved.
post #9 of 9 Old Feb 10th, 2019, 10:35 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

And should you decide down the road to upgrade a BMW Nav V or VI will work in the same cradle.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in