First troubles with my 2005 LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Feb 5th, 2019, 2:50 am Thread Starter

First troubles with my 2005 LT

It is getting difficult to start the bike. It doesn't run after firing the first time and needs a second start. It then misfires for a brief period before running correctly. There is a smell of fuel (unburnt from the exhaust?). This happened before I filled up yesterday and again this morning with a full tank. One point I noticed when filling is that it took until this morning for the fuel gauge to display the full tank. Once running it behaves perfectly.

Previous username - ajlelectronics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Feb 5th, 2019, 6:21 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: First troubles with my 2005 LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
It is getting difficult to start the bike. It doesn't run after firing the first time and needs a second start. It then misfires for a brief period before running correctly. There is a smell of fuel (unburnt from the exhaust?). This happened before I filled up yesterday and again this morning with a full tank. One point I noticed when filling is that it took until this morning for the fuel gauge to display the full tank. Once running it behaves perfectly.
Could be any one of a number of things. How many miles on the bike? Any recent work on it? Need a little more background.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Feb 5th, 2019, 7:12 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Could be any one of a number of things. How many miles on the bike? Any recent work on it? Need a little more background.
45K miles, no recent work. It did this just once before Christmas and then it was fine. I will have to undress her and see what might be going on.

If it were fuel hoses it would stink all the time and I would expect damp patches on the ground but there is none of that.

post #4 of 8 Old Feb 5th, 2019, 7:54 am

Keep in mind that there are rubber fuel hoses inside the fuel tank that could be split and providing less than optimal fuel pressure but enough to still run and you would see nothing on the ground. The only way to test that is with an inline fuel pressure gauge to ascertain pump and line status or to visually inspect the lines for cracking and leaks. Another thing that could be causing an issue starting and running is the engine temp sensor on the back side of the left head. A GS911 would be able to see the values or you can measure the resistance and make a guess on whether it is in range for the temp it should be seeing ( cold ). It is the bottom of the four connectors on the left side under the small panel above the foot rest. Make sure that is properly seated.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old Feb 5th, 2019, 8:38 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Since you don't have the charcoal canister, a clogged one is not your issue. If the temp sensor has failed then it would think it is hot all the time and the fans would run so I rule that one out. How has the fuel mileage been lately, notice a reduction?

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #6 of 8 Old Feb 5th, 2019, 12:21 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. As is sod's law, it behaved perfectly this evening. In the near future I have to take her clothes off again so will have a good probe about then, unless it happens again.

post #7 of 8 Old Feb 5th, 2019, 1:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

You've done the simple stuff like disconnecting the battery to lose memory settings to get back to a blank slate? Tried any fuel system cleaner like Techron? My '02 started better in the cold with regular fuel instead of premium.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #8 of 8 Old Feb 5th, 2019, 4:20 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabrew View Post
You've done the simple stuff like disconnecting the battery to lose memory settings to get back to a blank slate? Tried any fuel system cleaner like Techron? My '02 started better in the cold with regular fuel instead of premium.
Yes it has recently had a full reset when I replaced the battery with a new Odyssey. Fuel is 95 RON and the same pumps that I always go to.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in