Steering damper seals source - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 5Likes
  • 4 Post By kend52
  • 1 Post By kend52

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Feb 4th, 2019, 7:06 pm Thread Starter

Steering damper seals source

Metric Seals, Inc. carries an exact replacement for the steering damper seals. I had a hard time finding a seal with the exact dimensions needed and also for use in a reciprocating environment. Found several for rotating environments, but was uneasy those seals could handle the pressure generated if the handlebars started towards a tank slapper. Anyway, the part number is QHWA10-20-7/8.5. Itís not cheap. I have no connection with Metric Seals other than as a satisfied customer.
Patric, sailor, beech and 1 others like this.

Ken Davis
Mobile, AL
2002 LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Feb 4th, 2019, 9:21 pm

Garage
Re: Steering damper seals source

Quote:
Originally Posted by kend52 View Post
Metric Seals, Inc. carries an exact replacement for the steering damper seals. I had a hard time finding a seal with the exact dimensions needed and also for use in a reciprocating environment. Found several for rotating environments, but was uneasy those seals could handle the pressure generated if the handlebars started towards a tank slapper. Anyway, the part number is QHWA10-20-7/8.5. Itís not cheap. I have no connection with Metric Seals other than as a satisfied customer.
Wow, great timing, thanks! Discovered mine is seeping a little although it still passes the handlebar test. Getting replacement bushings for the end connected to the motor, too.

"Satisfied customer"...did you install them yet? I found some instructions from off-site how to do it, maybe from one of your posts, even.

Assume there are two in the damper, so 55 plus tax? I haven't priced a new damper but imagine it would make Warren Buffett blink, lol...

Oklahoma City, OK. 2003 K1200 LT. "Remember men, if the women don't find ya handsome, at least let 'em find ya handy." Red Green
post #3 of 4 Old Feb 5th, 2019, 5:11 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chuck View Post
Wow, great timing, thanks! Discovered mine is seeping a little although it still passes the handlebar test. Getting replacement bushings for the end connected to the motor, too.

"Satisfied customer"...did you install them yet? I found some instructions from off-site how to do it, maybe from one of your posts, even.

Assume there are two in the damper, so 55 plus tax? I haven't priced a new damper but imagine it would make Warren Buffett blink, lol...
Itís been over a year and several thousand miles with no leaks. Yes, there are two seals. I searched this forum for instructions using the search function. Seems like one of the posts gave some advice about the quantity of oil. I canít remember the weight of oil I used. The whole rebuild process was pretty easy.
Ricky Chuck likes this.

post #4 of 4 Old Feb 5th, 2019, 5:30 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kend52 View Post
Itís been over a year and several thousand miles with no leaks. Yes, there are two seals. I searched this forum for instructions using the search function. Seems like one of the posts gave some advice about the quantity of oil. I canít remember the weight of oil I used. The whole rebuild process was pretty easy.
Thanks. If I find it is leaking I will order them. See you are in Mobile, lived up in the northern part when I was young, went to Spanish Fort a lot to see an Uncle, nice fishing down that way!

Oklahoma City, OK. 2003 K1200 LT. "Remember men, if the women don't find ya handsome, at least let 'em find ya handy." Red Green

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in