Rubber bushing on damper cracked - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Ricky Chuck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Feb 4th, 2019, 1:47 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Rubber bushing on damper cracked

Hey, last night while finishing the hoses I happened to notice both of the rubber bushings on the bolt on the motor end are disintegrating or cracked. Can these be replaced with a generic of some sort?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bushing.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	761.1 KB
ID:	149661  

Oklahoma City, OK. 2003 K1200 LT. "Remember men, if the women don't find ya handsome, at least let 'em find ya handy." Red Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Feb 4th, 2019, 5:09 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Re: Rubber bushing on damper cracked

OK, I just ordered two of them, will be here in a few days. I watched Kirk's video on refilling them...mine has a little dampness around it but it is still dampening when the bars are shaken, will probably just refill and see how it goes.

Oklahoma City, OK. 2003 K1200 LT. "Remember men, if the women don't find ya handsome, at least let 'em find ya handy." Red Green
post #3 of 4 Old Feb 12th, 2019, 1:40 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Greetings, thought I would give an update to my experience trying to get the correct washers for the damper connection to the bike.

The guy at the bike shop sent me an exploded pic of the damper banjo area (off the computer parts database, assume same one every dealer uses?) and based on that and the actual photo of it on my bike we chose item 08 (circled). (He didn't go any further down the schematic with pictures). At this point we were assuming 03 was the metal washer sitting next to the bolt head.

When the washers showed up this morning they were much too small and were basically small metal bushings just barely larger in diameter than the bolt itself, probably for the bolt inside the banjo, I haven't removed it yet to determine.

If we had bothered to examine the itemized photo section of the parts catalog we probably would have seen that the washer identified in the exploded pic as 08 should have been number 03 based on the image and dimensions given. ALSO, the metal washer in the exploded part was mis-identified as 03 when it should have been 09 from the itemized section .

Just FYI and actually the oem larger washers apparently are made of some fibrous material and are not metal although the new ones look like dark rubber in the itemized section so there you go. Should come in Thursday while the bike is in getting the abs computer checked. Never a dull moment, lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	damper1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	149797   Click image for larger version

Name:	damper1 itemized part list.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	360.2 KB
ID:	149799   Click image for larger version

Name:	damperwashers.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	514.3 KB
ID:	149801  
Patric and kbob12 like this.

post #4 of 4 Old Feb 16th, 2019, 12:37 pm

Bobs BMW has them
Geo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in