Final Drive failure...05LT....49,000 miles - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 Old Jan 9th, 2007, 7:13 am Thread Starter

Final Drive failure...05LT....49,000 miles

I'm on my fourth LT. Prior LTs, all purchased new, an 01 (53,000 miles) 03 (52,000 miles) first 05 (21,000 miles..deer totalled) current 05 (49,029 miles). No final drive issues with the prior four LTs. When the shop drained the final drive they found metal fragments on the drain plug magnet. Disassembly of the drive unit revealed a spun crown bearing. Obviously I was over on the mileage, but only 22 months into the time portion of the warranty. My shop, BMW of Grand Rapids, MI. called the service rep. Decision....BMW is sending out a complete, new final drive unit. My cost? $95.00 labor to install the new unit! A few people would have pissed and moaned to the dealer for having to spend $95.00 in labor. Not me. I was only too glad to pay the labor cost. A new unit would have cost me slightly over a $1000.00.

As with all my LT's, I switch to synthetic final drive lube at the 600 mile service. Thereafter I change it every 12,000 miles.

My glass has always been half full. Am I going to sell my bike because I no longer trust it's dependability? Not a chance. Am I going to carry around an extra final drive unit in the trip trunk? Nope. Am I going to just ride it locally, being worried about it breaking down? What do you think? 2-3% of owners have had issues with the final drive unit. If you're lurking on this site and thinking about an LT, don't let this issue slow you down on a purchase. I've owned four of them and for me, there's just not a better long distance bike out there. Anything mechanical will have issues from time to time and this issue is but a small hitch in my get-a-long!

Dick
Chatoona likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old Jan 9th, 2007, 7:47 am

"My glass has always been half full. Am I going to sell my bike because I no longer trust it's dependability? Not a chance. Am I going to carry around an extra final drive unit in the trip trunk? Nope. Am I going to just ride it locally, being worried about it breaking down? What do you think? 2-3% of owners have had issues with the final drive unit. If you're lurking on this site and thinking about an LT, don't let this issue slow you down on a purchase. I've owned four of them and for me, there's just not a better long distance bike out there. Anything mechanical will have issues from time to time and this issue is but a small hitch in my get-a-long!"

What a great perspective and attitude. I'd "sticky" this if I could so hopefully all the hand-wringers out there would get a dose of "get a life" regarding this issue.

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10
post #3 of 52 Old Jan 9th, 2007, 7:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjessen
What a great perspective and attitude. I'd "sticky" this if I could so hopefully all the hand-wringers out there would get a dose of "get a life" regarding this issue.
+1
Great to see a good attitude when faced with a concerning issue!

AJ
2013 K1600GTL (not yet named)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 52 Old Jan 9th, 2007, 10:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRothermel
No final drive issues with the prior four LTs. When the shop drained the final drive they found metal fragments on the drain plug magnet. Disassembly of the drive unit revealed a spun crown bearing.
Dick
I don't think one owner here believes any bike including the LT is not without it's problems. It's the inconvenience factor of a final drive going when on a nice relaxed long distance vacation or after the warranty is long gone. A final drive failure is just not the type of mechanical issue an owner should have to fear. We love the bike and therefore we live with it's potential shortcomings.

I am happy for you that yours was caught while in the service department.
post #5 of 52 Old Jan 9th, 2007, 4:12 pm

Question Bearing Question

Did your dealer disassemble the final drive to inspect it, and did they identify the crown gear bearing as to whether it was a 17 or 19 ball bearing???? Inquiring minds would like to know.
post #6 of 52 Old Jan 9th, 2007, 5:52 pm

Angry Final Drive Failure

I too have an '05. At 54,000 the clutch went out and when they were replacing it they discoved that the drive shaft was going out as well. I expected that the clutch would be my problem, although it seems like pretty low mileage, but thought that BMW would pick up the drive train failure. Not much impressed when there have been so many failures as such low mileage for a bike sold as being "the best". I'll take a good hard look at other bikes before I purchase another LT. I love the bike but enough is enough. BMW just doesn't get it!

Doug Laird

'13 R1200GSW
'10 R1200GS - Sold
'08 K1200LT
'05 K1200LT - Totaled from deer strike
'03 K1200LT - Traded
'71 TR6C (Original Owner) - Sold

IBA #27517 Blue Knights #44263
post #7 of 52 Old Jan 9th, 2007, 6:01 pm

BMW just doesn't get it!

I agree. BMW reminds me of the Big 3 of the 70's. This has been my first and last BMW.
post #8 of 52 Old Jan 9th, 2007, 7:43 pm

I am in the group that would buy another LT, even though I had quite a few problems with mine. Three failed slave cylinders, failed transmission oil seal, failed final drive, and an exceedingly rare issue (only one ever?)that caused all four pistons to have broken ring lands.

Yes, these were certainly frustrating problems, and the failed final drive was on the way to CCR Gatlinburg, so the wife and I spent the entire time there in a cage. Still enjoyed CCR though.

However, the LTs just plain "FIT" me like no other bike would. I got 120,000 miles of great joy out of them, and above all, I enjoy this web group emensely.

Yes, I would buy another one.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 52 Old Jan 9th, 2007, 7:46 pm

I've not had a problem with my 05 LT as yet with only 8000km I would have thought with 80+ years of making drive shaft motorcycles that they would have figured out how to make them reliable. Given the premium price of the bikes, it would be reasonable to assume it would contain premium parts ?

2011 BMW 1600GTL
2000 BMW R1100R
2008 Burgman 650EX
post #10 of 52 Old Jan 9th, 2007, 10:09 pm

Quote:
When the shop drained the final drive they found metal fragments on the drain plug magnet. Disassembly of the drive unit revealed a spun crown bearing.
Dick
mechanical failure is inevitable, imperfect people can't make perfect machines.
In your case, changing the fluids did what it is supposed to do,
warn you of impending failure. That's as good as it gets.
Most of the earlier model final drive failures I've heard of (like mine)
resulted in the bearing itself disintegrating,
usually on the road in a most inconvenient time or place.

Having the shop find this problem can be compared to running out of gas at the top of a hill
with a gas station on the bottom
or having a flat in front of a motorcycle tire shop,
you say your glass is always half full, I'll say you're drinking "top shelf"

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #11 of 52 Old Jan 9th, 2007, 11:43 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez_rdr55
I agree. BMW reminds me of the Big 3 of the 70's. This has been my first and last BMW.
Buh Bye!!!
post #12 of 52 Old Jan 10th, 2007, 2:11 pm

This is a great site. People will bend over backwards to help you sort out your bike's problems. However if you want to complain or just run down the brand, this is probably the wrong place to come if you are looking for moral support.
post #13 of 52 Old Jan 10th, 2007, 3:43 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
...This has been my first and last BMW.
Howdy Dave,

What year and model BMW do you own/ride? I noticed in your profile you mention KTM, but not BMW.

You seem not to be happy with BMW, would you elaborate a bit?

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #14 of 52 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 10:53 am

Final drive woes

Me? not me! my old girl 'Amy' has a slight swooshing noise coming from the drive area when I lean into bends... nothing nasty, no graunching sounds like Triumph T140 gearboxes do when they're about to lose the plot.

Amy has over 196000km (122500 miles), she's a December 2000 registration lady, and suits me down to the ground (even seen over 72 mpg on one stint... 55mph, cruise control activated, cigar in mouth, coke can in dispenser, back-draughting a truck between Clermont-Ferrand and Millau on the A75 in France)

BMW dealers here in Brittany are a bunch of losers... imagine waiting four weeks for a simple part!! that's why I buy via the web!

Anyway if anyone wants to see what the 'old girl' has been up to, go see the piccies in the 'mrzippy' gallery!

PS.... anyone got a Moditec computer up for grabs... have all the special tools, except the ONE that MATTERS
post #15 of 52 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 11:42 am

Bill "Omaha"

Hi Bill,

My BMW is a black '04 with about 35K miles. I'll update my profile to include this info. So far it's been the usual stuff: broken shift linkage, rear brake rotor, headlight ground wire & poor lighting, front end wobble, radio display, windshield motor relay, having to disassemble the bike to change the air filter, no dealer support, fairing rattles, buzz at 4500 rpm, the killer seat, and so many more I've forgotten about.
If not for this group I would have had to sell it a long time ago. When the thing is right I like it, but these problem are well documented and BMW has done NOTHING to correct them. There are a lot of things to like about the bike, but all these little problems are a pain to deal with when your 3000 miles from home.
post #16 of 52 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 12:10 pm

I'm sorry you're so unhappy with your bike. Mine has all the same potential issues you have, plus it is 4 years older and I'm not afraid to take it anywhere, including 3000 miles away from home. It is just machine and it will break. When it does so what, it will get fixed.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #17 of 52 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 5:26 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
... So far it's been the usual stuff: broken shift linkage, rear brake rotor, headlight ground wire & poor lighting, front end wobble, radio display, windshield motor relay, having to disassemble the bike to change the air filter, no dealer support, fairing rattles, buzz at 4500 rpm, the killer seat, and so many more I've forgotten about.
Ahhhhh..., yes. Your response reminds me that I had two linkage repairs in the first 1,000 miles... got so nervous that I bought, and still carry, an entire linkage in the saddle bag. But no problems with the linkage since then, the last 35K miles.

I agree with about the air filter. Seems ridiculous to design the bike such that the gas tank has to be removed to change the filter....but, I believe it was a requirement to "pack" everything into a small space. Hasn't bothered me because I change it when I've got the bike torn apart for 12K interval maintenance.

The "buzz" I kinda like....useful as a shift indicator.

You have my sympathy regarding dealer support in your area. Frequently I feel blessed to have a pretty good dealer less than a mile away and their competition is a 90 minute drive away in a pinch.

Quote:
If not for this group I would have had to sell it a long time ago. When the thing is right I like it, but these problem are well documented and BMW has done NOTHING to correct them. There are a lot of things to like about the bike, but all these little problems are a pain to deal with when your 3000 miles from home.
I hear ya, especially about this site!

I was fortunate enough to get all the stuff (HID's, custom saddle, comms, etc) done very early. It has made the last 35K miles of riding experience a good one.

Take care and good luck with resolving the issues.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #18 of 52 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 6:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha
I agree with about the air filter. Seems ridiculous to design the bike such that the gas tank has to be removed to change the filter....but, I believe it was a requirement to "pack" everything into a small space. Hasn't bothered me because I change it when I've got the bike torn apart for 12K interval maintenance.
Every sportbike made in the past 15 years has the same "non-issue". And when I stop and think about it, EVERY bike I've ever owned has had the air box under the gas tank. Where else are ya gonna put it?!?!

So the real issue is the LT's Tupperware, isn't it? I loved working on my LT. But dealing with that dang Tupperware got old.
post #19 of 52 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 9:49 pm

Quote:
Hi Bill,

My BMW is a black '04 with about 35K miles. I'll update my profile to include this info. So far it's been the usual stuff: broken shift linkage, rear brake rotor, headlight ground wire & poor lighting, front end wobble, radio display, windshield motor relay, having to disassemble the bike to change the air filter, no dealer support, fairing rattles, buzz at 4500 rpm, the killer seat, and so many more I've forgotten about.
Did you buy this bike new??
post #20 of 52 Old Jan 12th, 2007, 10:15 pm

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Every sportbike made in the past 15 years has the same "non-issue". And when I stop and think about it, EVERY bike I've ever owned has had the air box under the gas tank. Where else are ya gonna put it?!?!

So the real issue is the LT's Tupperware, isn't it? I loved working on my LT. But dealing with that dang Tupperware got old.
C'Mon Messenger....Naked Bike in 30 Minutes...Cordless driver is the key...GT better?
post #21 of 52 Old Jan 12th, 2007, 11:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk402
C'Mon Messenger....Naked Bike in 30 Minutes...Cordless driver is the key...GT better?
First of all, you ain't undressing an LT totally in 30 minutes. Not by yourself you're not.

But I digress...

In less than 90 minutes, I can undress the GT, replace the air and fuel filter, and dress her up again. Wanna race? AND...I won't even use a cordless driver.

Yes, the GT is light years better than the LT in terms of Tupperware removal/reinstallation. The only item easier/quicker to remove on an LT is the rear wheel.
post #22 of 52 Old Jan 13th, 2007, 8:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk402
The GT strips down in half the time. To get to the air filter, all you have to do is remove the right side panel, which comes off in less than five minutes.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #23 of 52 Old Jan 13th, 2007, 9:17 am

My LTs are batting .750 so far.

Quote:
I'm on my fourth LT. Prior LTs, all purchased new, an 01 (53,000 miles) 03 (52,000 miles) first 05 (21,000 miles..deer totalled) current 05 (49,029 miles). No final drive issues with the prior four LTs. When the shop drained the final drive they found metal fragments on the drain plug magnet. Disassembly of the drive unit revealed a spun crown bearing. Obviously I was over on the mileage, but only 22 months into the time portion of the warranty. My shop, BMW of Grand Rapids, MI. called the service rep. Decision....BMW is sending out a complete, new final drive unit. My cost? $95.00 labor to install the new unit! A few people would have pissed and moaned to the dealer for having to spend $95.00 in labor. Not me. I was only too glad to pay the labor cost. A new unit would have cost me slightly over a $1000.00.

As with all my LT's, I switch to synthetic final drive lube at the 600 mile service. Thereafter I change it every 12,000 miles.

My glass has always been half full. Am I going to sell my bike because I no longer trust it's dependability? Not a chance. Am I going to carry around an extra final drive unit in the trip trunk? Nope. Am I going to just ride it locally, being worried about it breaking down? What do you think? 2-3% of owners have had issues with the final drive unit. If you're lurking on this site and thinking about an LT, don't let this issue slow you down on a purchase. I've owned four of them and for me, there's just not a better long distance bike out there. Anything mechanical will have issues from time to time and this issue is but a small hitch in my get-a-long!

Dick
I'm with you, Dick. My first '00 had NO problems, my second '00 had its final drive failure out in NV., and my '05 has had NO problems.
post #24 of 52 Old Jan 13th, 2007, 10:29 am

I'm sure BMW could come up with a final drive that would last forever, but it would ride like a brick shithouse. If you have ever really looked at the engineering of the LT you would realize its a masterpiece. Look at the rear wheel and look at the abuse it takes. Sooner or later its going to need some maintenance. I'm on my second LT and third BMW. Ride on!
post #25 of 52 Old Sep 21st, 2010, 2:24 am

Re: Final Drive failure...05LT....49,000 miles

Piss on bmw. I just my first one, and now seeing the low rent final drive they put in it, I am bailing.
post #26 of 52 Old Sep 21st, 2010, 7:16 am

I'll give you $100 bucks for the low rent POS! Ill even take vacation time to pick it up. Send me your attorney's name and I'll drop the mney into his escrow account, we'll get the title changed over and I'll come get it. Anything I can do to help you out of this situation.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtx
Piss on bmw. I just my first one, and now seeing the low rent final drive they put in it, I am bailing.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #27 of 52 Old Sep 21st, 2010, 9:05 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
I'll give you $100 bucks for the low rent POS! Ill even take vacation time to pick it up. Send me your attorney's name and I'll drop the mney into his escrow account, we'll get the title changed over and I'll come get it. Anything I can do to help you out of this situation.

Loren
Loren, it's a R1200ST, not really your kind of bike. And he is just 90 miles from me.
I'll give him $500.

dan
post #28 of 52 Old Sep 21st, 2010, 9:09 am

Aw Dan ya bum! Ut bid again! One of these days

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin
Loren, it's a R1200ST, not really your kind of bike. And he is just 90 miles from me.
I'll give him $500.

dan

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #29 of 52 Old Jun 7th, 2011, 12:46 pm

Well folks, I have some bad news for my first post.......

My 2009 K1200LT with 23700 miles was leaking some gear oil onto the rear hub and brake pads this weekend so I took it in to the dealer for the 12,000 mile check and to investigate the issue with the oil leak. I just received a call from the dealer that oil leak, which appeared to come from the shaft seal, was actually coming from the final drive in the area of the lug bolts. They informed me it is cracked and they have never seen anything like it.

The dealer is documenting the failure and contacting BMW NA for guidance.

Any feedback on this issue is appreciated.

Update - Just spoke again with the Service Tech - The issue is the dreaded Final Drive Bearing failure, I am in the process of negotiating with BMWNA now.

Ih and it's $1600 to replace and $2400 to repair.

Scott

Last edited by boomerkc10; Jun 7th, 2011 at 2:11 pm.
post #30 of 52 Old Jun 7th, 2011, 2:15 pm

I've been here (and the predecessor LT boards) for more than ten years -- I've *never* heard of that one before. Sounds like a freak component defect -- the sort that you should be pressing BMW HARD to make good on. A 2009 with <36K miles -- aren't you still under warranty?

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #31 of 52 Old Jun 7th, 2011, 3:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
I've been here (and the predecessor LT boards) for more than ten years -- I've *never* heard of that one before. Sounds like a freak component defect -- the sort that you should be pressing BMW HARD to make good on. A 2009 with <36K miles -- aren't you still under warranty?
No, the Warrenty ran out 30 days ago, but believe me, I and the dealer are pressing BMWNA hard for assitance on this repair or replacement cost.

Scott
post #32 of 52 Old Jun 7th, 2011, 3:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtx
I'm with you on this one. I have a ford pu with 107,000 (gas), and had the backup light switch go out about 9 years ago. I'm dumping this pos, not just because of that, but 'cuz I read once that you have to change brakes when they wear out. WTF???
And I'm getting rid of my JD tractor too. It has 12,000 trouble free hours on it, but I read on a forum that you can bend the bucket if you ram a big enough rock at full speed. Again, WTF???
And because we see eye to eye on this kind of BS, I'll go $600 on your RT. But wait, there's more! For no more that a simple process and handling fee, I'll come get it, load it myself, and take you out to lunch!!!
post #33 of 52 Old Jun 7th, 2011, 6:19 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerkc10
Update - Just spoke again with the Service Tech - The issue is the dreaded Final Drive Bearing failure, I am in the process of negotiating with BMWNA now.

Ih and it's $1600 to replace and $2400 to repair.
I find that repair quote a bit outrageous since the big bearing is only $80.00. Now if the aluminum mandrel on the crown gear is also cracked well that is a different story. But that is a $632.00 part. List on a rear drive is $1400+ now.

Press BMWNA as hard as you can.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #34 of 52 Old Jun 7th, 2011, 7:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
No, the Warrenty ran out 30 days ago, but believe me, I and the dealer are pressing BMWNA hard for assitance on this repair or replacement cost.
If that doesn't work out, I'll sell you a rebuilt FD with a lifetime warranty for a lot less.

DanMartin
Houston, Tx
post #35 of 52 Old Jun 7th, 2011, 9:52 pm

Dan,
You are the Man!

I'd like the class on the FD one day.
its too dang hott in Houston now...

Going to Brazil in the next few weeks..
See ya when you slow down a bit.. maybe take a ride....

i will up the price a buck fitty

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
post #36 of 52 Old Jun 7th, 2011, 11:04 pm

FD's come, FD's go... been through 2 in 60k miles, not half damn bad for a bike, being stranded is a state of mind.

My Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix) cost me more than that in under 30k miles out of warranty, it's all perspective and the amount of miles under her.

I'll keep my girl...

2012 K1600GT

post #37 of 52 Old Jun 8th, 2011, 9:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
I find that repair quote a bit outrageous since the big bearing is only $80.00. Now if the aluminum mandrel on the crown gear is also cracked well that is a different story. But that is a $632.00 part. List on a rear drive is $1400+ now.

Press BMWNA as hard as you can.
It appears the mandrel is cracked as well. I am still waiting a response from BMWNA today.

I want to be clear that this issue in no way changes my opinion of the K1200LT......"The BEST large grin generating Lux Tourer out there." Just talked my Harely Friend into test driving a used 05 LT model......he bought it and now also can't stop grinning!

Thanks a bunch!

Scott
post #38 of 52 Old Jun 8th, 2011, 6:53 pm

Quote:
It appears the mandrel is cracked as well.......
I am guessing you are referring to the crowngear assembly. This is the component that is both aluminum and carbonsteel and comes as part of the crown gear set BMW Part #
If it is indeed crack, I suspect it is the aluminum part. And we have had a fairly recent post where a photo of that failure was posted. See post #25 in this thread:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...+drive+rebuild

This is not a common failure. I wonder if we're starting to see a new and different failure mode in later bikes.
post #39 of 52 Old Jun 9th, 2011, 1:11 pm

I called the dealer who did the work on this bike since new ( i bought it used in late 2009) it had an FD service in early 2009 at 3500 miles prior to going on a Texas to Alaska trip. Then in fall of 2009 it was put up for sale at the original dealer and they completed the 12k service with the odometer reasding 13k+. I bought it aftyer that, and now took it in for the 12K service with 23700 miles and thats when we found the crack and bearing failure.

Spoke with the saleman who also rides a 2002 LT and he changes his FD fluid at every 6K along with the engine oil and never had an FD failure. Not sure what the cause is on the failures, hope it is just a freak incident. But after this experience I will change the FD oil frequently, watching for metal shavings to provide some peace of mind.

Scott
post #40 of 52 Old Jul 29th, 2011, 9:14 am

Hello, I am a newbie to this site, have been thinking about k1200gt, the BMW fd problems have me thinking twice. I have been a Harley owner most of my riding life, I am 51 years old. Thought some speed would be cool. Is the final drive thing overrated?, will the bike make 100k . Just wondering if the final drive is always on your mind when you ride.

thanks, Bill Meaden
post #41 of 52 Old Jul 29th, 2011, 9:51 am

Quote:

Dick
A "seal" (don't know what it's called but it's letting oil drip from the shaft boot onto the swing arm) and my center stand just went out. The dealer is fixing both next week when the parts arrive. I'm about 3 months from the end of my warranty and the mileage will be 36k also. Glad they went out now instead of then. Got a big trip starting on the 7th. Yes, it bums me out when things break but there's no other bike I'd rather ride. I'll just keep fixing it and riding.

Jim

Blue Knights M/C
2009 K1200 LT
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 Classic LT
1989 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1972 Honda 750
1969 Kawasaki 100
post #42 of 52 Old Jul 29th, 2011, 7:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Snip >>

Quote:
Is the final drive thing overrated?, will the bike make 100k . Just wondering if the final drive is always on your mind when you ride.

Welcome to the sight . The final drive thing is not a big deal. Buy it & Ride it . If you are in the 4% that have problems, fix it. It might cost you a few hundred dollars. But if it is fix right you should never have another problem with it. It is like the cam bearings on the big twins , some go out some don't . anyway, There lot of guys have100k on there K1200LT's . don't let this final drive thing scare you off.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #43 of 52 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 3:52 pm

Let me just say who cares?
After two final drive failures on extended trips over the last 12,000 miles I could care less about BMW and GOODWILL. The bike is unreliable and better used as a boat anchor.
The dealer says "buy the 1600 the new bike is great",I say how can that be?The 1600 has the same final drive and is probably more likely to fail and leave me sitting on the side of the road waiting for tow trucks. While my ride time and tours go up in smoke with my carefully planned trip and hotel deposits BMW hands out a few hundred dollars to make themselves look good.
BITE ME BMW you suck and your final drive sucks! I'm going to sell the LT and go buy anything but a BMW.
post #44 of 52 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 4:25 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Please hurry and leave we are tired of hearing your negative rant. But sell me your bike cheap I want more BMWs.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #45 of 52 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 5:12 pm

Roger that John. If Tom can't stand the heat, he should get out of the kitchen!

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #46 of 52 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 5:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatzo
Roger that John. If Tom can't stand the heat, he should get out of the kitchen!
Quiet man, not until he makes me a good deal.

dan
post #47 of 52 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 7:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandmelanie
The dealer says "buy the 1600 the new bike is great",I say how can that be?The 1600 has the same final drive and is probably more likely to fail and leave me sitting on the side of the road waiting for tow trucks.
While I understand your frustration ( 2 failed LT FDs under my belt) -- you're dead nutz wrong about the K16 FD -- totally different design than the LT FD, and a lot beefier. No issues reported yet, and it don't appear likely there will be.

Just setting the record straight.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #48 of 52 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 7:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
While I understand your frustration ( 2 failed LT FDs under my belt) -- you're dead nutz wrong about the K16 FD -- totally different design than the LT FD, and a lot beefier. No issues reported yet, and it don't appear likely there will be.

Just setting the record straight.
Yes, he was dead wrong about the K1600 design. However, only a politician could make such a bold prognostication based on so little data. The K16 has been on the market for what, maybe 4 months now and you are ready to claim that it not only has no FD problems, but is unlikely to have any? That is too funny!

So, are you in the house or senate?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #49 of 52 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 9:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Who knows what will happen, until it happens. I'm more interested in the first wet clutch. Will it cause any problems with oil contamination?

post #50 of 52 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 1:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Yes, he was dead wrong about the K1600 design. However, only a politician could make such a bold prognostication based on so little data. The K16 has been on the market for what, maybe 4 months now and you are ready to claim that it not only has no FD problems, but is unlikely to have any? That is too funny!

So, are you in the house or senate?
It's not a matter of prognostication -- I don't know any more about the future than your do.

BUT, it doesn't take much engineering training (my PE is gathering dust over in a corner somewhere around here) to look at the exploded diagragms of the LT and GTL FD designs, see the arrangement differences and the sizing of the components, plus note BMW's own statements that they up-sized the torque capacity of the K16 FD's, to be able to develop a sense that these drives are more robust, and likely WILL have a far better record.

Ok, you want to be picky -- my statement wasn't clear enough: I wasn't saying that NO K16 FD would ever fail -- that would be as silly as your attempt at ridicule. I was referring to failures from a common failure mode like what that the LT suffered from. Anyone with a lick of sense will recognize that there will be some small number of failures, just as a matter of random defective part failures -- as the "bulletproof" GoldWing FDs have proven with their own record of the occassional FD failure. The fact that you preferred to read my comments as an "absolute" statement sez you didn't give this much thought before posting.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in