• 1 Post By beech
  • 1 Post By mslacool
  • 1 Post By mslacool
  • 1 Post By Notahog
  • 1 Post By longride

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jan 20th, 2019, 8:08 am Thread Starter

Thinking of Selling, But How Much?

So I'm thinking of selling my LT. Been having problems with my hips and knees for over a year. Even had surgery on one knee. Bought a Harley (was thinking about a Guzzi) mostly for the floorboards to ease the pain and numbness. So here's the question - What are used LTs going for these days, if they are even selling? KBB is useless!

2009 K1200LT
with 31,000 miles
newer rear tire
30k service done
with trunkless rack
original trunk included
Cee Bailey screen w/ Euro-curve
Suburban Machine peg lowers

MarkF
2009 K1200LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jan 20th, 2019, 9:54 am

Re: Thinking of Selling, But How Much?

check Craigslist for your area. A good way to do it is to search for "K1200LT" or "K1200". Then at the top of the screen start switching to different cities and it will rapidly repeat the K1200LT search. I saw a 2009 in Athens, GA for $8K which sounds about right.

Kent
post #3 of 14 Old Jan 20th, 2019, 10:32 pm

Garage

Hi
I have been following this issue for years, having owned my LT for about 13 and having decided to let it go. Heres what I know. The later model bikes are really hard to sell because of the weight and the maintenance issues endemic to all the bikes. ( For example replacing the shocks was quoted at 2100.00 yesterday at the dealer. They are a bearcat to work on and unless you know the guy or give some sort of your own kind of warranty, ( bring it back within a week and Ill return most of your money) The earlier model bikes suffer from the same exact problem but their value is fundamentally less. My 2000 is basically worthless although in excellent condition with 73k. So I think they sell for reasonable money only to people who actually know you. I think they move to other bikes ( BMW owners can afford 10 grand) so I would actually suggest you go to a dealer and see what they will give you in trade. It won't be much more than 4 if that. Its an older mans bike with reliability issues on all sorts of things and to make repairs is basically 2 grand for anything.

I think its a mindset. I want my bike to go to someone who will use it and I want them to have a good deal and to move on. I also want it gone and at its value, there are no real trades. No one wants to trade it in or up.

So I think its worth what it is to you and if you sell, and its about getting more than 4 grand, it will be a while. I watch them closely and I see the units asking more than 4, on the same sites forever. If you can take a trade or want something different, then you can go retail to retail but I have found no one wants my LT on trade, at all... much less at the money. The Honda is more reliable and sells for more money and there is a real precise owners group. I think with LTs, they are worth what they sell for and that usually isn't close to what one is asking. So in my opinion, 4 grand real money and most owners will just keep it for that. Ask a dealer what they will buy it for and you will see what its worth real money.

One mans opinion but most used LTs seem to sell mostly as parts bikes to make owning the one you have affordable. I love the bikes, know how to do most maintenance on them and own a lift... but the idiots who designed them should be shot. The idiots who sell parts for them ( shocks ) for example don't seem to care as they are old stock and already built and paid for. I have to take off my center and side stand to swap tranny fluid for example. You have to pull off the console to replace speakers, the bike is designed so owning a lift is the main way to do any maintenance. They use random attachment methods for the same repair, torx phillips and hex heads. Your bike is 10 years old and thus a maintenance concern for the new buyer. The rubber brake lines are ready to burst on their own, 600 for stainless steel replacements with labor.
So, I would price it so the next guy would buy it and use it. Leave a lot of meat on the bone or keep it since you know its history.
Regards
Paul

post #4 of 14 Old Jan 21st, 2019, 12:41 am

MS is oh so right on. I had a minor fall over when I saw the above poster suggest 8K. If you can get that great but do not be surprised with less than 4. There are too many issues and they are way too expensive to repair unless the original price was 2500$. It is an older bike that is out of style complicated to work on and give you fits for major part prices. I know the current owners love them. This hurts I know. It is only worth what someone will pay, not what you want. If you can get a dealer to tell you a trade in price, add 1200 and that is retail.
Like house sales, it is best on the average over the long run to take the first offer and move on. (as long as it is not a low ball)
I learned that term from two years of statistical math.
radar41 likes this.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)

Last edited by beech; Jan 21st, 2019 at 12:46 am.
post #5 of 14 Old Jan 21st, 2019, 10:15 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyOrBike View Post
check Craigslist for your area. A good way to do it is to search for "K1200LT" or "K1200". Then at the top of the screen start switching to different cities and it will rapidly repeat the K1200LT search. I saw a 2009 in Athens, GA for $8K which sounds about right.
Oh how I wish. Looks like since it's in good shape I should keep it as a spare bike but have always "For Sale". Honestly, someone would be better off keeping their bike for spare parts and buying mine to ride and put those parts on when/if it needs them. Thanks.

MarkF
2009 K1200LT

post #6 of 14 Old Jan 21st, 2019, 5:08 pm

Garage

Since this is a curiosity of mine, if you get an offer over 4000, update the post. I have been in the position you are in for the last five years, and you are at the point where the final drive question, shock issues and brake line issues will be preeminent as well as the weight.. I personally don't know anyone who didn't buy one or theirs from an old guy with bad legs and who had it fall down and could not get it up. ( no pun intended). I am 62 and 220 and in great shape and I think my time for this bike is physically over. Its all I can do to keep it up at times when I am not paying attention. I have three other 600 lb bikes and they don't present a problem. What I would suggest is for you to consider what you will do if you have one of those problems while you own it and then decide if you want to pay for the repair on your bike that has all those issues. If someone gave me one with different problems than mine I would buy another one but I basically don't want to spend more than 2grand to have another set of potential problems.

I would be willing to bet that if you put it up for sale at 4grand, it would still be a while before you sold it especially if you are in CT.
radar41 likes this.
post #7 of 14 Old Jan 21st, 2019, 5:21 pm

Garage

Another thing I have found is that new potential drivers will be scared shitless of driving such a heavy bike and that buying a big bike will overwhelm them. Its a really limited set of buyers, and prospective buyers that seems to be mostly consisting of existing owners, or knowledgeable owners that won't pay anything but wholesale which as you are hearing, isn't much. Those owners don't have the social pull like Harley owners, as BMW owners are literally a different species. You could sell an old Harley for 5 grand to someone who wants to be a part of the social scene. Not so with a BMW. Owners of LTs are a lot like Airhead owners.. a unique group but those things scare the crap out of me since I haven't grown up with them. If I hadn't spent so much time enjoying the LTs upside, you would never get me to buy one for any amount of money. I am a SAAB lover. Its the same thing. 50,000 vehicles that become parts cars as soon as something breaks. The only buyers are Saab enthusiasts that won't pay squat for them. And they are available everywhere broken down for 500.00. Theyre a storage problem.

You have an OLD GS...to a new GS then you have some social pull some real unique gatherings. But the 1300 GT is a newer dinosaur than the LT. I don't know anyone who owns one or will buy one and I attend a lot of rallies.

If you have garage space... keep it. I have taken nearly three years to get to a point where I would nearly give it away to a guy who would let me fly in and ride it now and then.

Good luck and thanks for letting me vent over my LTs funeral of sorts

P
radar41 likes this.
post #8 of 14 Old Jan 21st, 2019, 5:39 pm

Garage

Mark a couple of guys here summed it up best just now.

We think an LT is worth fundamentally the same regardless of year. If you have had ohlins installed, I buy that bike over any other. If you have stainless steel brake lines, I buy that one. If you have final drive service history, I buy that one. If you have used parts, I buy that one. The K engine will rattle and roll forever. Its not the drive train or the plastic and the electronics are dated on any LT of any age. I mean do you really listen to CDs with bluetooth helmets out there? Would you pay 500 for a CD player if it blew up? etc etc etc.. They all had unique problems, in some ways all have the same problems and age and said issues are present whether 10 years old or 20. When anything goes wrong, it renders the bike potentially unuseable or uneconomic to repair. They are all sold because of weight and age issues. I haven't seen a LT rider under 50 in ? Yours has the 30K service done. Its a big deal. But no one I know has seen an LT sell for 4k in memory. I sold one with 35k in mint shape, with no known issues, recent stainless steel replacements, for 3500 ( 2002) 2 years ago when I owned two. He was the only suitor. The newer ones had ABS issues that the older ones did not so when the ABS went out ( 250 parts minimum) the braking on the big ass bike was shot. On the 2000 it wasn't servo assisted so braking was unaffected by ABS faults. I guess that based on repair costs, and percentage of problems, an old one with 35k is worth more to me than a 2009 with 35 k. The ABS issue is 2000 bucks. ( recent quote from a guy in California trying to sell a 2005 for 4500.00 ( on ad for six months)
post #9 of 14 Old Jan 21st, 2019, 6:02 pm

After I moved to western NC 5+ ago. I was bikeless ! I found an 03 LT that I could not resist. I had previously owned 00 LT and put somewhere around 37k miles on it before moving to an 04 HD Ultra, then to an 05 GS and then to an 07 K1200GT. The GS and GT were project bikes for my aux light bracket business. I sold GT before leaving TX. As I have aged and moved on, I found the 03 LT to be somewhat heavy for me. I only put about 1700 miles on it over couple of years ! That was the reason I moved from the LT to the new 16 RT in Nov of 16.

I have around 8300 miles on it so far, so problem solved !! Easy to ride in town, easy to maneuver in tight spaces, a pleasure to ride and explore the open road ! I turn 71 this year, so got a lot of miles ahead of me..

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #10 of 14 Old Jan 27th, 2019, 7:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslacool View Post
Mark a couple of guys here summed it up best just now.

We think an LT is worth fundamentally the same regardless of year. If you have had ohlins installed, I buy that bike over any other. If you have stainless steel brake lines, I buy that one. If you have final drive service history, I buy that one. If you have used parts, I buy that one. The K engine will rattle and roll forever. Its not the drive train or the plastic and the electronics are dated on any LT of any age. I mean do you really listen to CDs with bluetooth helmets out there? Would you pay 500 for a CD player if it blew up? etc etc etc.. They all had unique problems, in some ways all have the same problems and age and said issues are present whether 10 years old or 20. When anything goes wrong, it renders the bike potentially unuseable or uneconomic to repair. They are all sold because of weight and age issues. I haven't seen a LT rider under 50 in ? Yours has the 30K service done. Its a big deal. But no one I know has seen an LT sell for 4k in memory. I sold one with 35k in mint shape, with no known issues, recent stainless steel replacements, for 3500 ( 2002) 2 years ago when I owned two. He was the only suitor. The newer ones had ABS issues that the older ones did not so when the ABS went out ( 250 parts minimum) the braking on the big ass bike was shot. On the 2000 it wasn't servo assisted so braking was unaffected by ABS faults. I guess that based on repair costs, and percentage of problems, an old one with 35k is worth more to me than a 2009 with 35 k. The ABS issue is 2000 bucks. ( recent quote from a guy in California trying to sell a 2005 for 4500.00 ( on ad for six months)
You are being cruel to us older guys. I'm 72 and still ride my 02 LT on a regular basis. If these bikes are riden like they are suppossed to be ridden age is not the issue.

Have a good day. Leon
radar41 likes this.
post #11 of 14 Old Jan 27th, 2019, 9:48 pm

I put mine up for sale once... priced to keep unless someone was will to pay top dollar and then, I would have rolled that money over into another beemer. So, you can put it up for sale and price it to keep it or price it to sell it. Your choice.

Current Ride: '02 LT - The Mistress
post #12 of 14 Old Jan 27th, 2019, 9:52 pm

I agree about 72. I am 72 and far from being in great shape but I belong to the IBA. I did my first CC50 last spring and wish I had time to do another. Unfortunately I still work for a living. My LT is a 2000 and removing the trunk helped with the weight problem.

Still rolling in Southern Oregon
post #13 of 14 Old Jan 28th, 2019, 9:38 am

My opinion: Follow craigslist and Cycle Trader for a month. Determine what is being asked for a bike like yours. Knock off a grand and be patient. There are a small number of people looking for these bikes but they are out there. Many riders don't want the latest and greatest computer on two wheels or the price tag that goes with it.The bike IS big and awkward when going slow. What big touring bike isn't.
post #14 of 14 Old Jan 28th, 2019, 1:48 pm

Garage

In Florida, the going price for selling in the the 4 to 4.5K neighborhood. Anything above that sits unsold for a long time. IMHO, these bike are to buy and ride the heck out of them until they break, and then get another one. They are for selling. I have 5K into my 2004, and I have all of 5K invested in it. Got it with 6400 miles on the clock. Best motorcycle investment I ever made. I put 8K on it already and everything works perfectly. I'll ride it until it isn't practical to fix and then sell it for parts and get another. Best value in big touring bikes around.
HOGnDAS likes this.

George

2004 K1200LT - Gray Ghost

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in