A stupid question (hopefully) about LT's radio - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 8:51 pm Thread Starter

A stupid question (hopefully) about LT's radio

Well, after a tortuous path, my Canyon Red LT finally arrived today . . . . . of course it was raining but what's another day at this point

Have a question about the radio. The plastic faceplate (where I assume the station or other information shows up) appears totally clouded - nothing appears in it. Since I hope this is not normal, can anyone tell me what this might indicate; i.e., simple repair or major problem?

There was no supplemental audio manual so I am not really sure about what any of the controls do yet . . . so any tips on that would be appreciated as well.

The bike is a 2000 LT-C and has the cassette in the glove compartment and the 6-CD changer in the side bag.

I have a photo of the radio unit . . . . still trying to figure out inserting it into this message.

Thanks in advance

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 9:03 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-SC
Well, after a tortuous path, my Canyon Red LT finally arrived today . . . . . of course it was raining but what's another day at this point

Have a question about the radio. The plastic faceplate (where I assume the station or other information shows up) appears totally clouded - nothing appears in it. Since I hope this is not normal, can anyone tell me what this might indicate; i.e., simple repair or major problem?

There was no supplemental audio manual so I am not really sure about what any of the controls do yet . . . so any tips on that would be appreciated as well.

The bike is a 2000 LT-C and has the cassette in the glove compartment and the 6-CD changer in the side bag.

I have a photo of the radio unit . . . . still trying to figure out inserting it into this message.

Thanks in advance

Andy
Andy that is usually just build up from washing the bike. My did the same thing. I used " softscrub" on it BUT be very careful. There are other ways to get it off and I'm sure someone else will chime in

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 11 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 9:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Same condx on my '00 when I bought it in August.
A light swipe with denatured alcohol will bring it back! You can get it at any good hardware store or even K-Mart.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #4 of 11 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 9:26 pm

wipe it with denatured alcohol, then get a strip of clear packing tape and put it over the lens and cut it to fit, small xacto knife will do, and you wont have a problem again
post #5 of 11 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 10:27 pm

Thumbs up

If you run out of denatured alcohol, try Vodka.
Don't ask me how I know...!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #6 of 11 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 10:30 pm
BMW Guru

the alcohol solution is the best one...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #7 of 11 Old Jan 9th, 2007, 5:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
If you run out of denatured alcohol, try Vodka.
Don't ask me how I know...!
Accidents do happen. Just be thankful no one called "party foul" on you.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #8 of 11 Old Jan 9th, 2007, 7:20 am
Lifetime Supporter

Not sure if the denatured alkie will react with the tupperware, so I masked the view window before the wipe!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #9 of 11 Old Jan 9th, 2007, 11:34 am

Red face Polarized glasses

Back during the summer I got on my bike and thought I had the dreaded "blank radio display". It took me a little while to figure out that it was only due to my new sunglasses being polarized.

Jamie
'02 K1200LTC
'82 R100RT
post #10 of 11 Old Jan 9th, 2007, 5:11 pm Thread Starter

Talking WOW . . . . . This forum is amazing!

Let's see . . . . . I posted the message about the radio display on my "new" LT-C at 0951 and within 15 . . . . yes that was FIFTEEN minutes, the answer was provided!

I've been riding for more years than I care to count and have been a member of forums for other bikes I've owned but this forum has amazed me since I first was pointed in its direction by a friend that has an '03 LT in Dallas. He said the info and support was 1st rate but again, all I can say is THANKS!

Picked up some denatured alcohol and with a Q-tip, rubbed across the clouded screen (which you could not see through at all). Well, in less then a minute the clouding was gone and the radio screen was crystal clear.

Thanks for a super fast response and a simple fix . . . . . anyone need an almost full can of denatured alcohol?

Andy
post #11 of 11 Old Jan 9th, 2007, 5:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-SC
Let's see . . . . . I posted the message about the radio display on my "new" LT-C at 0951 and within 15 . . . . yes that was FIFTEEN minutes, the answer was provided!

I've been riding for more years than I care to count and have been a member of forums for other bikes I've owned but this forum has amazed me since I first was pointed in its direction by a friend that has an '03 LT in Dallas. He said the info and support was 1st rate but again, all I can say is THANKS!

Picked up some denatured alcohol and with a Q-tip, rubbed across the clouded screen (which you could not see through at all). Well, in less then a minute the clouding was gone and the radio screen was crystal clear.

Thanks for a super fast response and a simple fix . . . . . anyone need an almost full can of denatured alcohol?

Andy
For future reference (you don't need to lissen, Andy - cuz you got a 10 year supply!!!! ), if you need a small amount of de-natured alcohol, try sweet talking your local pharmicist into a tiny bottle of it. Here in Boerne, even the Wallyworld dood helped me out by partially filling a prescription bottle with just enough stuff for me to do ole Toad's radio display - and at no charge, after I pleaded my case and described what I needed it for. Apparently they have some behind-the-counter use for it at times and he had an opened container to share with me. About a tablespoon amount, and I still have a smidgen left in the bottle!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in