Replacing OEM xenon low beam - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jan 18th, 2019, 3:18 pm Thread Starter

Replacing OEM xenon low beam

This is my 1st K bike after several Airheads and an Oilhead. It is a 2009 LT. IT ARRIVED ON Wed and the low beam headlight doesn't work. It is the factory xenon option. I did several searches and several people have had the same problem but no one says how they removed the bulb. Several removed the entire nose but I hope to avoid i that. I have removed the wire bail that holds the bottom and the ballest but the cover seems to be still stuck at the top. The Clymers only shows the half in bulb replacement. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jan 19th, 2019, 6:39 am

Garage
Re: Replacing OEM xenon low beam

Give this a look. I hope it helps.

2005 LT

Suzuki Boulevard C109RT
Suzuki Boulevard C50
77 Triumph Bonneville T140
Suzuki Intruder 1400
Suzuki GS 850
Honda V65 Magna
post #3 of 13 Old Jan 19th, 2019, 9:45 am Thread Starter

Thanks. Unfortunately it dosnt help. The factory HID is a completely different animal and removing the cover seems to be the difficult part. The manuals don't show anything on the Xenon headlight.

post #4 of 13 Old Jan 19th, 2019, 11:20 am

Garage

There are some posts about the ground wire to the headlight going bad on here. Send a message to a member called jzeiler. I think he knows everything. If anyone has run across a factory HID, it would be him.
Good luck!

2005 LT

Suzuki Boulevard C109RT
Suzuki Boulevard C50
77 Triumph Bonneville T140
Suzuki Intruder 1400
Suzuki GS 850
Honda V65 Magna
post #5 of 13 Old Jan 19th, 2019, 11:35 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Unfortunately I have not had the pleasure to mess with one yet. I do have a factory HID on my K1300GT but it has not failed yet. From the looks of the prices it is very expensive. Bulb is 280, ballast is 150 and the control unit is 597. Might be cheaper to gut it and install an aftermarket HID.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 Old Jan 20th, 2019, 7:29 am

I posted this (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt...ml#post1581569 ) a number of years ago when I was having problems with the Xenon low beam on my 2007 LT, shortly after buying it. It might be of help and it has a link to another post that describes the operation of the xenon light. I don't think the light has a "globe" in the traditional sense that you would typically expect. My headlight would come on when the bike started and then go out. Giving it a thump on the nose cone got it working again but then it started to go out when you most needed it. You know, mid-night on the freeway doing 100km+; great fun. I eventually found that the plug connection to the light was loose. All I needed to do was give the contacts in the plug a bit of a squeeze and that fixed it. Over six years ago now and hasn't played up since. This may not be your problem but check your wiring and connections first before committing to big chunks of cash.

Russell Ikin
1970 R60/5
1984 100RS Cafe Racer
2007 K1200LT
Perth, Western Australia
post #7 of 13 Old Jan 20th, 2019, 9:16 am

I have a new ballast if you are interested to send me a PM.

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #47511
2015 F700GS - For my better half whenever I'm not using it!
2007 K1200LT - Nice now!
2003 R1150GS -Black Beauty (sold)
2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby (sold)
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird (sold)
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
post #8 of 13 Old Jan 20th, 2019, 9:28 am Thread Starter

Relkin, I have read your post and the other one that you reference. Has far has I can tell, there is no information on removing the back cover to the low beam without removing the entire nose. I know that you removed the entire thing, but is it possible to do without? Also, do you recall how the clips work for the wires on the ballest? I have removed the 3 screws that hold the ballest to the cavern and the wire bail at the bottom.
post #9 of 13 Old Jan 20th, 2019, 9:31 am Thread Starter

Mr1150gs, I will certainly keep that in mind. Is it from BMW or did you find a substitute?
post #10 of 13 Old Jan 20th, 2019, 1:40 pm

It is the BMW part for the xenon. I had the same issue but it turned out to be the controller.

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #47511
2015 F700GS - For my better half whenever I'm not using it!
2007 K1200LT - Nice now!
2003 R1150GS -Black Beauty (sold)
2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby (sold)
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird (sold)
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
post #11 of 13 Old Jan 20th, 2019, 8:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridn3 View Post
Relkin, I have read your post and the other one that you reference. Has far has I can tell, there is no information on removing the back cover to the low beam without removing the entire nose. I know that you removed the entire thing, but is it possible to do without? Also, do you recall how the clips work for the wires on the ballest? I have removed the 3 screws that hold the ballest to the cavern and the wire bail at the bottom.
I couldn't find any information at all that described pulling the xenon low beam headlight apart and I didn't remove the nose cone or headlight assembly from the bike. It's a long time ago now but I think I had most of the fairing apart to do some other work. I haven't looked at it since. I can't remember how the clips work but I don't remember having to much trouble disconnecting them. Just tried to have a look but I can't even see them now; my nose cone is a bit crowded with ballasts and paraphernalia for two other sets of lights. The bikes a bit jammed in at the moment. I'll try and pull it out and have bit of a better look.

Russell Ikin
1970 R60/5
1984 100RS Cafe Racer
2007 K1200LT
Perth, Western Australia
post #12 of 13 Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 6:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reikin View Post
Quote:
I couldn't find any information at all that described pulling the xenon low beam headlight apart and I didn't remove the nose cone or headlight assembly from the bike. It's a long time ago now but I think I had most of the fairing apart to do some other work. I haven't looked at it since. I can't remember how the clips work but I don't remember having to much trouble disconnecting them. Just tried to have a look but I can't even see them now; my nose cone is a bit crowded with ballasts and paraphernalia for two other sets of lights. The bikes a bit jammed in at the moment. I'll try and pull it out and have bit of a better look.
I found an old post on the MOA forum that suggested removing the windshield and the top of the dash and the bulb is accessible from there. I will try that.
I have tried thumping the headlheadlight lens and pushing the starter button after it is running to no avail. Any other suggestions appreciated.
post #13 of 13 Old Oct 4th, 2019, 10:45 pm

Garage

Quote:
I found an old post on the MOA forum that suggested removing the windshield and the top of the dash and the bulb is accessible from there. I will try that.
I have tried thumping the headlheadlight lens and pushing the starter button after it is running to no avail. Any other suggestions appreciated.
It would be nice for others with the HID headlight if you would update what you found out and how you fixed the problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Too much HORSEPOWER is almost enough!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in