How many have a parts bike? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By saddleman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jan 17th, 2019, 7:47 pm Thread Starter

How many have a parts bike?

Hoowdy everyone.

So with 60,000 miles on my LT, i am starting to run into part and part that needs replacement. I went through and replaced the clutch at 55K and so far it's been great, no more slipping. Now I am having issues with the left front caliper not working, teh gas tank is leaking again, one piece of my tupperware no longer attaches and the loss of all my chrome on the crash guards is starting to bug me. On top of that, a recent check shows the ABS is completely non-functional.. I am not even able to query it from the gs-911 module.

How many of you have or have thought about buying a parts bike to keep around so you can keep your LT running. I've owned this one for 4 years and absolutely adore it, although I think I am getting to the point of needing new suspension and the potential cost of that has me wondering if I should upgrade from my 1999 to one of the newer 05 + LT's

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jan 17th, 2019, 9:05 pm

Re: How many have a parts bike?

Some have bought a parts bike but keep in mind that the parts you pull off may have as many or more miles on them as the ones you are replacing. That in mind, Ebay is often a good place to get those used parts unless you have the garage space to store a carcass as big as that to pull from when you need. If you need new suspension, buy it new or buy something used that can be fully rebuilt rather than put on a used shock from another 99. If you are worried about your ABS not working, keep in mind, non working ABS on an 02 or newer ( US models) will leave you with only residual braking which can from what I hear, be a little disconcerting when you are used to the powerful servo assist. The 99 and 01 brakes work the same with or without a functioning ABS unit. Something to think about. I have an 01 and i get parts where and as I can as I come across them to keep it going/upgrade things. I too adore it and want to keep it for some time. If you have already done the clutch, then the other major issue would be the final drive crown bearing if that hasn't gone yet, brake lines not withstanding. A bird i hand may be worth two in the bush if you have already dealt with many of the issues or take the chance you will have to go through it all over again on a newer model.

If you want a newer model, get one. If you expect it to not require you to replace part after part, you might be disappointed unless you can find someone who has already done all the work but then you will probably pay more knowing what all that is actually worth and still be replacing parts. It is the nature of owning something as complex as the LT that is 15 to 20 years old and one drop will mess up that newer perfect chrome again. One of my bumpers is made of bondo but it looks good enough.

Good luck.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Jan 18th, 2019, 3:09 am
Enjoy The Ride

I have 5 LT's two of them are for parts.
Patric likes this.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old Jan 19th, 2019, 10:33 pm

Garage

I have a fully operational 2000 that needs a shock, has a leak and runs like a top that I put up for sale today at 2000. Id drive it anywhere. Its on the marketplace bmwmoa
post #5 of 5 Old Jan 21st, 2019, 1:20 pm

I have 2 1999's, one as a rider and one as a parts bike. If you have the space for storage for both, go for it. My rider has 89K and my parts bike only had 33K. I paid $2500 for the running parts bike, sold the tupperware which had a custom paint job that I did not like, and kept the rest. So far, the only thing that I've needed from the parts bike bike was the rear drive and a few tupperware screws.

'68 Triumph Bonnie
'71 R75/5 **
'72 R75/5 (2)
'73 R60/5 **
'73 R75/5
'76 R90/6
'77 R75/7 '77 R100/5 "bitsa" bike
'79 R100RT **
'88 R100GS
'90 K75S
'90 K75C **
'99 K1200LT **
'99 K1200LT **

** denotes owns currently

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in