Headlight Delay - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By meese
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jan 10th, 2019, 7:33 am Thread Starter

Headlight Delay

I'm looking for a way to keep the headlight off while cranking my LT. I have searched the forum and haven't been able to find anything on this. I would rather not just run a switch with or without relay inline so I do have to remember to turn it on. Has anyone come up with a way to do this that doesn't mess with anything else in the electrical (canbus) system of the bike? Thanks

02 BMW K1200LT Tuscano Green
06 Star Stratoliner
96 Yamaha Vmax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jan 10th, 2019, 10:21 am

Re: headlight "ON" delay

I believe John Zeiler has just such a thing on his LT. The LT has no can bus so nothing to mess with there. I don't have the details but he used a latching relay hooked into one of the multi switches to activate.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Jan 10th, 2019, 12:49 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

For a completely automated solution, the Rowe PDM60 is programmable for delays on individual circuits. So you could power your headlight from that, and set it to a startup delay of anywhere from 0-240 seconds (default is 7 seconds, which works great for starting).

That might give you a "headlight out" dash warning though, as the original headlight wire would just be feeding a PDM60 trigger, so the overall current draw would be almost nothing.

The other way is to put a relay inline with the headlight feed on the Normally Closed pins, and trigger the relay with the same feed that triggers the starter motor. So normal mode is Headlight On, when you press the Start button you get Headlight Off, then when you release the start button you get Headlight On again. The good thing about that is if the relay fails for some reason, it defaults to Headlight On.
kbob12 likes this.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 6 Old Jan 10th, 2019, 5:56 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I just put a DPDT relay with one side acting as a "latch" and the other side on the headlight circuit. The way I triggered the latch was a diode in line with the high beam switch. That way the head light is off until I press the high beam the the light comes on and stays on until the key is turned off (or you hit the starter as that will kill the light and the relay latch).

This circuit allows you to control when your headlight (or aux lights) come on. At startup the lights will be off and the optional indicator will be lit. To engage the lights requires only a blip of the high beam switch. This activates the relay and it will “latch” the lights on (indicator will go out) until you turn off the key or hit the starter button.

You insert it into the feed line for your light you want to control. In the case of the 05 LT head light (incandescent) it is the Green/Blue/Yellow wire. Then tap into the feed wire for the High Beam which is the white wire.

The wire colors vary by model year. The 99-2004 use the White/Green for low beam and White for high beam. I have no data for the HID models 06 and up. But if you can find the feed for it this circuit will work.

I moved this thread to the K1200LT forum so more people might see it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Light Latch.PNG
Views:	29
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	149319  
beech likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 6 Old Jan 11th, 2019, 2:35 am

I'm a little confused here, my 2005 LT has a "load shed" relay which dumps the lights and high current loads during cranking automatically. That is a standard fit from the factory.

Previous username - ajlelectronics
post #6 of 6 Old Jan 11th, 2019, 7:49 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
I'm a little confused here, my 2005 LT has a "load shed" relay which dumps the lights and high current loads during cranking automatically. That is a standard fit from the factory.
True but I installed an HID and when you key on it lights up. It then goes out during cranking and then fires again. Hot restarts are not good for HID. Plus you can turn on the key and no headlight draw while you are checking something out. On all the CAN bus bikes the head light stays off until the engine is running and that was what I was after.

But you are correct that is what the OP was not aware of, he just knew that the light came on with the key on. He may not have realized it went off during cranking.
Patric likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in