• 1 Post By Voyager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jan 10th, 2019, 1:21 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
Check Those Lug Nuts

Saw this posted on a different riders forum:

When prompted, we got a few more pics:

Obviously, the rear lug bolts loosened up and fell out, causing the rear wheel to extricate itself from the bike.

Fortunately, the rider wasn't going all that fast, was ATGATT, and escaped without personal injury.

The rider said they'd bought the bike used a few months back and hadn't yet messed with the rear tire at all. So whomever did the last tire change clearly didn't torque the lug bolts down properly.

Note this is an R1100R, but I'm posting here because the final drive and rear wheel mounting procedure is similar for R1100, R1150, and K1200LT bikes.

From the R1100 BMW Service Manual:

Use no oil or grease on the rear wheel studs.

Hand-tighten the rear wheel studs in a cross pattern, then initially torque to 50 Nm (37 ft-lbs), then final torque to 105 Nm (77 ft-lbs).

Again, this is the same for the K1200LT rear wheel.

Newer R1200, R1250, K1200, K1300, and K1600 bikes have an inverted Paralever drive with a wheel flange, so they have different torque specs. Note that this wheel mounting flange can be damaged by over-torquing. There is an official BMW Recall Notice on this issue.

From the K1600 BMW Rider's Manual:

Tightening sequence: diagonally
Torque: 60 Nm (44 lb/ft)

I can personally vouch for the fact that the K16 rear wheel can loosen up if the lug bolts are not tightened properly. Fortunately, I noticed that the bike felt squirrrely, pulled over into a safe place, and was able to re-torque them correctly (I carry a lot of tools onboard).

So the moral of the story is: Check your torque values (front and rear wheels), and always wear your gear...
Patric, Voyager and niel_petersen like this.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jan 10th, 2019, 4:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Check Those Lug Nuts

I have to admit that I still wonder how someone could ride a bike with loose lug bolts and NOT know that something was up. I always try to be very careful when installing the rear wheel and ensure that the bolts and threads are clean and dry and that everything is in place squarely before torquing. And I always use a torque wrench if at all possible. Thought I was going to have to do a “calibrated forearm” torque at last years CCR when I had to replace a tire in Arkansas, but Mr. JZ just happened to be packing a torque wrench that he let me borrow. I think I could get close by feel, but I’d be stopping a few times to check things if I had to torque without the benefit of a torque wrench.

I’m also glad the LT has the 5th bolt. Every extra bit of insurance helps.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #3 of 11 Old Jan 10th, 2019, 4:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I have to admit that I still wonder how someone could ride a bike with loose lug bolts and NOT know that something was up. I always try to be very careful when installing the rear wheel and ensure that the bolts and threads are clean and dry and that everything is in place squarely before torquing. And I always use a torque wrench if at all possible. Thought I was going to have to do a “calibrated forearm” torque at last years CCR when I had to replace a tire in Arkansas, but Mr. JZ just happened to be packing a torque wrench that he let me borrow. I think I could get close by feel, but I’d be stopping a few times to check things if I had to torque without the benefit of a torque wrench.

I’m also glad the LT has the 5th bolt. Every extra bit of insurance helps.
Goot-N-Tite is not the right tightness. Returned that wrench and socket to JZ at the Ironhorse fall reunion. He was happy to lend it and also glad to see it back.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #4 of 11 Old Jan 10th, 2019, 4:51 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Goot-N-Tite is not the right tightness. Returned that wrench and socket to JZ at the Ironhorse fall reunion. He was happy to lend it and also glad to see it back.
I agree. I occasionally get razzed for using torque wrenches as religiously as I do on my cars and trucks, not just my motorcycles, but you see things like this and feel pretty vindicated. It is great that this person was both prepared (ATGATT) and lucky. This could just as easily happen as you approach a semi and the outcome might not be nearly so happy.

I was very glad John had show wrench with him and was willing to leave it behind when he had to leave early and I greatly appreciated your willingness to transport it back. I could have gotten by without out, but I would have had much less peace of mind for at least the first couple hundred miles on the way home.
beech likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #5 of 11 Old Jan 10th, 2019, 4:54 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage

The original poster is kinda new to riding, and has only had the R11 for a few months. He did say it started feeling bit weird, but he was close to home—and that in hindsight, he shoulda just pulled over immediately...

I have a torque wrench that has travelled with me all over the country, including to a number of CCR's over the years. Those Tech Sessions sure were fun.

It's tough to find one that covers 105 Nm and is short enough to fit in the top case, but since I no longer have an LT, I just need to cover 60 Nm which is much easier.

Gotta be able to pull either wheel at any time, and to put them back together correctly...

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 11 Old Jan 10th, 2019, 6:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese View Post
The original poster is kinda new to riding, and has only had the R11 for a few months. He did say it started feeling bit weird, but he was close to home—and that in hindsight, he shoulda just pulled over immediately...

I have a torque wrench that has travelled with me all over the country, including to a number of CCR's over the years. Those Tech Sessions sure were fun.

It's tough to find one that covers 105 Nm and is short enough to fit in the top case, but since I no longer have an LT, I just need to cover 60 Nm which is much easier.

Gotta be able to pull either wheel at any time, and to put them back together correctly...
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...2282_200712282
meese likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #7 of 11 Old Jan 10th, 2019, 10:56 pm

I had to go find some videos to see how it worked as it was not totally obvious. Planetary gear set inside. You will have to brace the " handle " of the tool to allow the planetary gears to do their thing. Cool tool.
meese likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #8 of 11 Old Jan 11th, 2019, 8:02 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You should see the ones we used on the E-2, C-2 and C-130 props.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	torque-multiplier-from-turbine-tools.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	149347   Click image for larger version

Name:	torque-tooling-servicing.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	262.0 KB
ID:	149349  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #9 of 11 Old Jan 11th, 2019, 8:40 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
I had to go find some videos to see how it worked as it was not totally obvious. Planetary gear set inside. You will have to brace the " handle " of the tool to allow the planetary gears to do their thing. Cool tool.
Yes, planetary gears are almost like magic.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #10 of 11 Old Jan 11th, 2019, 10:09 am Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage

Here's a reduction gear set, where it takes 13.7 billion years (the approximate age of the universe) for the last gear to complete one rotation.

And a video of the gears in action.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #11 of 11 Old Jan 18th, 2019, 9:18 am

I have to admit. 4 years back. A few of us were riding thru DC/ Maryland area to get seafood at fisherman's Crabdeck. Riding spirited down Rt 50 in W Virginia. My rear tire failed. Went got a tire, no torque wrench. Had to do by feel. Didn't have a problem. But I'd like to think i'd know if they got loose. And i really like that the LT has that center lug. I think that helps.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in