• 3 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By fatbob307
  • 1 Post By fatbob307
  • 1 Post By Bigswed1962
  • 2 Post By Voyager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jan 8th, 2019, 6:42 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Winter fix(es)... finally some quality time...

Cheers All!

After extensive travelling away from my garage (oooh, and family too... ) I finally got to spend some much anticipated quality time with my newest bike and first real tourer! Intention to fix all "must do's" and some "like to do's"... Having dug into as much as possible shared knowledge here and elsewhere during my absence I am fairly clear on the "must do's" so started with taking of most of the fairings and what not to find some 'sceleton' underneath, almost naked not even then in any way comparable to any of my other more 'normal looking' bikes...
So, now have enjoyed working on this in comparison giant bike and can relate to some of the BMW quirks that I recognize from my old '92 BMW 850iA V12 car, why engineer logically...? hahaha...

Bike is a European 2001 with some 53k km's on the odometer by now, already changed brake lines and to start with the rear damper to an ÷hlins and fairly recently tires also so that done at least a couple of things less to do. Bike's been well fairly well serviced and just prior to buying it PO did a change again of all oils including brakes (iABS) so that is feeling quite OK. PO sold it due to possible brake problems but not as serious as it seems so hopefully good there too!

So, the "must do's and to do's" then...

Overall cleaning;
- epic... hahaha... PO lived at the end of a gravel road...so even though not more than 50k km's lots of gravel up in between...everywhere...

Oils and filters;
- engine oil (higher zinc content type) and filter, check
- rear drive, check
- gear box, to do

Fuel;
- quick disconnects, to order
- fuel filter change, to order

Engine maintenance;
- spark plug change, check
- air filter, wash (K&N), check
- anti-freeze change to special type, check

Lights;
- all new headlight bulbs, check
- instrument cluster lamps change to cool white, ordered

General;
- brake pads control front and rear, check
- move top box rearwards, check
- steering damper control, check
- cut brown wire, check
- install new Z-Teknik passenger rests, check (found a brand new set for USD 200 so... )
- front 5,25" GAS high power stereo speakers change, in progress
- install dual USB charger in cassette compartment, check
- radio antenna resistance measuring, check (poor radio signal but some corrosion so...)
- reinstall by PO specially fabricated GPS mount over instruments, check
- install power supply outlet for GPS, check
- install wiring for new USB/power output for GPS with fuses, to do
- buy all three BMW bags for luggage, check

Fault finding/rectification;
- finding replacement spark plug cover plate, to do
- speedo jumps a little so will check for cable damages to rear drive
- cruise control only worked a few times, verified that all micro switches work as they shall so now going to look for proper throttle cable adjustment to ensure that is OK to start with as throttle cables were changed by PO

Enjoying this immensely, comfortable in knowing that the shared and extensive knowledge and experience here and by people like yourselves and the likes of Kirk J will take me further, if stopping for whatever reason...!!! First one of my bikes that the missus actually looks forward to come along on...

Doing this in parallell with three other 70's bikes so now once back for some time it's full speed ahead...

So from a now very happy LT owner in Sweden wishing All out there a Good start of the New Year and some serious quality time, in the garages as well as safely on the roads!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4719.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	149297   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4709.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	149299  
gtkoppmann likes this.

----------------------------------------------------------
Enjoy life irresponsibly...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 BMW K1200LT
1988 Kawasaki GPX600R
1984 Yamaha RD500LC YPVS
1983 Kawasaki Z1000R2 ELR
1978 Honda CB750 K8
1975 Kawasaki Z1B 900
1972 Honda CB750 K2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jan 8th, 2019, 6:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Winter fix(es)... finally some quality time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigswed1962 View Post
Cheers All!

After extensive travelling away from my garage (oooh, and family too... ) I finally got to spend some much anticipated quality time with my newest bike and first real tourer! Intention to fix all "must do's" and some "like to do's"... Having dug into as much as possible shared knowledge here and elsewhere during my absence I am fairly clear on the "must do's" so started with taking of most of the fairings and what not to find some 'sceleton' underneath, almost naked not even then in any way comparable to any of my other more 'normal looking' bikes...
So, now have enjoyed working on this in comparison giant bike and can relate to some of the BMW quirks that I recognize from my old '92 BMW 850iA V12 car, why engineer logically...? hahaha...

Bike is a European 2001 with some 53k km's on the odometer by now, already changed brake lines and to start with the rear damper to an ÷hlins and fairly recently tires also so that done at least a couple of things less to do. Bike's been well fairly well serviced and just prior to buying it PO did a change again of all oils including brakes (iABS) so that is feeling quite OK. PO sold it due to possible brake problems but not as serious as it seems so hopefully good there too!

So, the "must do's and to do's" then...

Overall cleaning;
- epic... hahaha... PO lived at the end of a gravel road...so even though not more than 50k km's lots of gravel up in between...everywhere...

Oils and filters;
- engine oil (higher zinc content type) and filter, check
- rear drive, check
- gear box, to do

Fuel;
- quick disconnects, to order
- fuel filter change, to order

Engine maintenance;
- spark plug change, check
- air filter, wash (K&N), check
- anti-freeze change to special type, check

Lights;
- all new headlight bulbs, check
- instrument cluster lamps change to cool white, ordered

General;
- brake pads control front and rear, check
- move top box rearwards, check
- steering damper control, check
- cut brown wire, check
- install new Z-Teknik passenger rests, check (found a brand new set for USD 200 so... )
- front 5,25" GAS high power stereo speakers change, in progress
- install dual USB charger in cassette compartment, check
- radio antenna resistance measuring, check (poor radio signal but some corrosion so...)
- reinstall by PO specially fabricated GPS mount over instruments, check
- install power supply outlet for GPS, check
- install wiring for new USB/power output for GPS with fuses, to do
- buy all three BMW bags for luggage, check

Fault finding/rectification;
- finding replacement spark plug cover plate, to do
- speedo jumps a little so will check for cable damages to rear drive
- cruise control only worked a few times, verified that all micro switches work as they shall so now going to look for proper throttle cable adjustment to ensure that is OK to start with as throttle cables were changed by PO

Enjoying this immensely, comfortable in knowing that the shared and extensive knowledge and experience here and by people like yourselves and the likes of Kirk J will take me further, if stopping for whatever reason...!!! First one of my bikes that the missus actually looks forward to come along on...

Doing this in parallell with three other 70's bikes so now once back for some time it's full speed ahead...

So from a now very happy LT owner in Sweden wishing All out there a Good start of the New Year and some serious quality time, in the garages as well as safely on the roads!!!
Looks like you are off to a fantastic start. I have my LT partially apart, but just haven;ít gotten in the mood yet to really get after it. Soon...

The only comment I have on your list is to take the K&N filter and throw it in the nearest trash can and replace it with a proper paper element filter. Your engine will thank you.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Jan 8th, 2019, 7:06 pm

Best replace the clutch slave cylinder before it leaks and trashes your clutch! Iíve just completed a clutch job, I know!
Bigswed1962 likes this.

post #4 of 6 Old Jan 8th, 2019, 7:06 pm

You can replace the final drive pivot bearings with the new style too!
Bigswed1962 likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old Jan 8th, 2019, 7:10 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Not sure what the weather conditions are where you're living but here in Sweden where I am now it's all dark, cold and depressing outside so fairly easy to find motivation if not only for those reasons... but a qualified guess is that when living in the sun all year round I don't think I would've stripped the bike this much... :-)

The air filter yes, this will ave to do for this summer as I anyways will take it down to some extent next winter again, then planning on doing some more major to the stereo (cassette) system so not so concerned for the limited driving that will take place coming summer... but to your point, I agree with you and think normal paper-type are good enough... My Kawa 600 came with a single 4-1 and K&N (more open free flowing style) air filter pods... couldn't get it to run properly at all, bought an original 4-2-2 exhaust and changed that, better but not good, bought an original airbox and a new paper filter and the bike runs like a charm nowadays... knowing that one part to blame for this was lack of proper jetting/tuning by PO whom I bought the bike from but for a 600cc, why bother with 4-1 and so on to start with... happy with it as is now and it's good for the daughters to have as a learner...
Patric likes this.

----------------------------------------------------------
Enjoy life irresponsibly...

2001 BMW K1200LT
1988 Kawasaki GPX600R
1984 Yamaha RD500LC YPVS
1983 Kawasaki Z1000R2 ELR
1978 Honda CB750 K8
1975 Kawasaki Z1B 900
1972 Honda CB750 K2
post #6 of 6 Old Jan 8th, 2019, 9:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigswed1962 View Post
Not sure what the weather conditions are where you're living but here in Sweden where I am now it's all dark, cold and depressing outside so fairly easy to find motivation if not only for those reasons... but a qualified guess is that when living in the sun all year round I don't think I would've stripped the bike this much... :-)

The air filter yes, this will ave to do for this summer as I anyways will take it down to some extent next winter again, then planning on doing some more major to the stereo (cassette) system so not so concerned for the limited driving that will take place coming summer... but to your point, I agree with you and think normal paper-type are good enough... My Kawa 600 came with a single 4-1 and K&N (more open free flowing style) air filter pods... couldn't get it to run properly at all, bought an original 4-2-2 exhaust and changed that, better but not good, bought an original airbox and a new paper filter and the bike runs like a charm nowadays... knowing that one part to blame for this was lack of proper jetting/tuning by PO whom I bought the bike from but for a 600cc, why bother with 4-1 and so on to start with... happy with it as is now and it's good for the daughters to have as a learner...
Days are longer here in northern PA than in Sweden, but it is still winter and a little nasty out.

K&N definitely flow more air so if you are racing they are worth using, but they also flow a lot more dirt with the air as a number of tests have shown. For a street bike that isnít raced, I will take a stock paper element filter any day.
Patric and Bigswed1962 like this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in