• 1 Post By Wazza
  • 2 Post By ChrisFrench

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Dec 31st, 2018, 2:30 pm Thread Starter

EHCS Rebuild video

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

President of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Dec 31st, 2018, 3:33 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: EHCS Rebuild video

Good job Kirk but you should always just oil the o-rings and not use grease. Also re-assembly should be done under cleaner conditions if you want the repair to last. The end cap is very easy to break by applying more than 9 Nm of torque. If it leaks fight the urge to tighten the nuts and pull it apart and clean the o-ring area and o-ring and try again. Install at least 135 ml (but no more than 140 ml) of oil as 125 will not lift a bike in cold conditions. I was going to publish a video but there are too many ways to screw this up. The 4 mm port are really easy to strip out so I recommend using the 19 mm spigot for all fill and drain operations. Also remove any burrs from the end of the shaft before pulling in apart gives you a better chance of not damaging the seal when it goes back together. Over 50 rebuilt to date.
Voyager, djmellor, 14wntr and 2 others like this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #3 of 19 Old Dec 31st, 2018, 3:39 pm Thread Starter

Thanks John! Hopefully it lasts a while on that one.

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #4 of 19 Old Dec 31st, 2018, 5:17 pm

Hi Kirk nice job. Always enjoy your videos.
For future reference that funny looking seal with the split that sits behind the main seal on the piston is not a seal but a guide bushing for the piston that is designed to help prevent excessive wear to the cylinder bore. In my experience they hardly ever need replacing. I think from memory they tend to be more expensive than the actual seal.
post #5 of 19 Old Dec 31st, 2018, 5:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
Hi Kirk nice job. Always enjoy your videos.
For future reference that funny looking seal with the split that sits behind the main seal on the piston is not a seal but a guide bushing for the piston that is designed to help prevent excessive wear to the cylinder bore. In my experience they hardly ever need replacing. I think from memory they tend to be more expensive than the actual seal.
Thanks Wazza! I learned something new today! I know just enough to be dangerous!
Voyager and kbob12 like this.

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #6 of 19 Old Jan 1st, 2019, 4:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14wntr View Post
Thanks Wazza! I learned something new today! I know just enough to be dangerous!
Ha Ha we all do Kirk my friend but if we all pass on what we know we will live just a little less dangerously.
Happy new year.
Cheers
Wazza
Voyager likes this.
post #7 of 19 Old Oct 16th, 2019, 1:41 pm

John,
Thanks for sharing your experience on this forum! I successfully changed the oil in my EHCS, and it worked great until the motor blew up. Replaced the motor and the seals, since I had it apart again. Worked fine for a month, then started stuttering and failed.

Shaft now has a lot of scoring, obviously from where it slides through the center stand connector.

Questions: Any idea why it would jam and score now? (No previous scoring, so this is just in a matter of month or so.) Any guess as to how much you can smooth the shaft scoring before it's too thin and leaks? Any source for replacement shaft, in that case?
post #8 of 19 Old Oct 16th, 2019, 3:35 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Do you mean where it passes through the actual center stand? If so the only thing that would cause this is if the round part was sticking in the pivot area and putting lateral force on the shaft. Check it for free rotation.

If you mean on the end cap then something did not get put back together right if it is scoring the shaft.

I routinely polish the shafts I get for repair, I start with 400 grit and work my way up to 6000. I have polished mine twice now and it still holds. But I do have shafts in stock now so if yours ends up leaking you can replace it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #9 of 19 Old Oct 16th, 2019, 5:43 pm

Thanks. Yes, the part through the center stand. Free rotation (greased both pieces before re-assembly.) Doesn't make sense why it stuck. Wish me luck.....
post #10 of 19 Old Oct 17th, 2019, 5:49 am

Hello friends,
Sorry for the translation but it's Google.
Thank you to Kirk for the video and to Jhon for sending me to France the piece case because of a tightening too strong.
Thanks to them I was able to help and troubleshoot some friends.
Thank you to them and this wonderful forum. Long live to you.
Chris, a little Frenchman.
davebullock and djmellor like this.
post #11 of 19 Old Oct 17th, 2019, 5:04 pm

I went to BMW yesterday to pick up a part I had ordered, distribution tube or as I keep calling it the crank case ventilation tube. While I was there I decided to ask what a new EHCS assembly would cost. I'm sure I've mentioned before that my 05 was missing the EHCS when I bought it, the previous owner had removed the entire assembly and replaced it with a standard version from an older bike. So anyhow the parts sales guy starts looking up all the parts I would need and when he told me the final price I nearly fainted.
$4,000
Guess what I'm not doing.
post #12 of 19 Old Oct 17th, 2019, 8:13 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Your parts guy did you no favor as they are available for $1400 for just the actuator. Now if you were to try to buy all new parts to retrofit an older bike I can see $4000, a lot less if you bought used off e-bay.

From the Max BMW fiche

46 52 7 670 903 ACTUATOR $1406.18

My rebuilds are a lot less than that.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #13 of 19 Old Oct 18th, 2019, 2:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Your parts guy did you no favor as they are available for $1400 for just the actuator. Now if you were to try to buy all new parts to retrofit an older bike I can see $4000, a lot less if you bought used off e-bay.

From the Max BMW fiche

46 52 7 670 903 ACTUATOR $1406.18

My rebuilds are a lot less than that.
Yeah thanks John. I think the actuator price in Australian dollars was $1800. I didn't get an itemized list but perhaps I should have. I guess what annoys me is that the previous owner threw away a fortune in parts for the sake of a $90 motor. At the end of the day I can handle the manual stand ok and it does make transmission oil changes a lot easier.
post #14 of 19 Old Oct 18th, 2019, 2:12 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Yeah thanks John. I think the actuator price in Australian dollars was $1800. I didn't get an itemized list but perhaps I should have. I guess what annoys me is that the previous owner threw away a fortune in parts for the sake of a $90 motor. At the end of the day I can handle the manual stand ok and it does make transmission oil changes a lot easier.
I had forgotten about that story AND that you were from down under!

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #15 of 19 Old Oct 18th, 2019, 6:33 pm

Quote:
I had forgotten about that story AND that you were from down under!
Yes down here at the arse end of the world we tend to pay more for just about everything. I guess when you consider that the LT retailed for over $40,000 AUd a $4,000 center stand is par for the course. The LT was and in my opinion still is a high end luxury motorcycle and as such I think it is worth keeping on the road. I am prepared to spend money on it but I think I really need to pick my battles. An electric center stand is at the end of the day not a necessity to keeping it on the road. I can always look at it as part of my exercise routine. I can tell people I can dead lift 360 kg
post #16 of 19 Old Oct 18th, 2019, 7:06 pm

Quote:
Good job Kirk but you should always just oil the o-rings and not use grease. Also re-assembly should be done under cleaner conditions if you want the repair to last. The end cap is very easy to break by applying more than 9 Nm of torque. If it leaks fight the urge to tighten the nuts and pull it apart and clean the o-ring area and o-ring and try again. Install at least 135 ml (but no more than 140 ml) of oil as 125 will not lift a bike in cold conditions. I was going to publish a video but there are too many ways to screw this up. The 4 mm port are really easy to strip out so I recommend using the 19 mm spigot for all fill and drain operations. Also remove any burrs from the end of the shaft before pulling in apart gives you a better chance of not damaging the seal when it goes back together. Over 50 rebuilt to date.
Since the sawall episode I made sure to delete any trace of videos from my search results, in fact I don't even look at any LT videos so those don't come back..
post #17 of 19 Old Oct 18th, 2019, 10:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post
Since the sawall episode I made sure to delete any trace of videos from my search results, in fact I don't even look at any LT videos so those don't come back..
What happened with the video Ricky
post #18 of 19 Old Yesterday, 3:04 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I think he was referring to the one where Kirk used the saws-all to cut the swing arm in half. It was hard to take.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #19 of 19 Old Today, 6:10 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:
Yes down here at the arse end of the world we tend to pay more for just about everything. I guess when you consider that the LT retailed for over $40,000 AUd a $4,000 center stand is par for the course. The LT was and in my opinion still is a high end luxury motorcycle and as such I think it is worth keeping on the road. I am prepared to spend money on it but I think I really need to pick my battles. An electric center stand is at the end of the day not a necessity to keeping it on the road. I can always look at it as part of my exercise routine. I can tell people I can dead lift 360 kg
Hi Wazza... if you really want to look at adding an EHCS unit, I happen to have a spare off a 2005 which I'm unlikely to ever need, since I put an "unused" one off a triked 2007 on my own 2005 a few years back and it should last me a looong time as I don't ride so much now.
Think the spare needs a refurb, it was done once but the seal leaked so needs redoing and I just haven't gotten round to it.
PM me if you want to chat about it and price, I'm in Sydney but will be meeting up with some Brissy friends up the coast in a couple of weeks (early Nov), might be able to arrange a personal transfer so no ship costs.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in