reverse - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 2 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By Voyager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Dec 30th, 2018, 5:57 pm Thread Starter

reverse

Can someone tell me what the procedure is for using reverse.I see the knob behind the shifter but not sure how to engage it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Dec 30th, 2018, 7:33 pm

Re: reverse

Sitting on the bike, engine running, kickstand up, bike in neutral. Press the R button on the left switchgear. The green N on the dash will change to a red R. Press the starter button on the right switchgear and hold it down. Bike will rev to 1900RPM and start backing. When finished release starter button, apply front brake and press the R button on the left switchgear to return the bike to neutral.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 14 Old Dec 30th, 2018, 7:52 pm
Super Moderator

Okay I'll bite . . . for a K1200LT

1. Engine - running
2. Gear selection - in neutral
3. Clutch - disengaged
4. Throttle control - idling
5. If you can no brakes - front or rear
6. Turn the reverse knob clockwise until it locks into position at about 2:00 o'clock
On some older bikes the F (@ 12:00 o'clock) and R (@ 2:00 o'clock) sticker has been rubbed off
Be prepared to rock the bike back and forth slightly while turning the knob to engage
7. Press the starter button
8. Reverse will slowly engage
9. Continue to pressing off and on the starter button until you no longer need reverse
10. When done return reverse know to 12:00 o'clock position
Be prepared to rock the bike back and forth slightly while turning the knob to dis-engage

Note: if the bike needs to run up steep grade if may stall and not work . . .

Others will chime in I am sure!!

My 2₵ . . .

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"

post #4 of 14 Old Dec 30th, 2018, 8:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarVector View Post
Sitting on the bike, engine running, kickstand up, bike in neutral. Press the R button on the left switchgear. The green N on the dash will change to a red R. Press the starter button on the right switchgear and hold it down. Bike will rev to 1900RPM and start backing. When finished release starter button, apply front brake and press the R button on the left switchgear to return the bike to neutral.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
R button on the left switchgear? Methinks you are in the wrong forum. No LT has such an arrangement to my knowledge. Sounds more like the K1600.
2002LTC likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #5 of 14 Old Dec 30th, 2018, 8:18 pm

Also you need to know that the reverse gear has nothing to do with the clutch. For instance if you are doing a small three point turn you must change the knob rom reverse to forward before you can walk it forward. Pulling in the clutch will not disengage the reverse and if you try to just walk it forward you will stress the transmission.

Once you start using it you can have some fun with it. On the weekend I was on a ride with a group of people and I needed to move backwards to position myself. I started to walk it and the slight uphill slope stopped me. One of the guys asked if I needed a hand. I said no and just put her in reverse and pushed the starter. His reaction was priceless. He looked wide eyed and just said Bull shit.
Made me laugh.
post #6 of 14 Old Dec 30th, 2018, 8:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
Also you need to know that the reverse gear has nothing to do with the clutch. For instance if you are doing a small three point turn you must change the knob rom reverse to forward before you can walk it forward. Pulling in the clutch will not disengage the reverse and if you try to just walk it forward you will stress the transmission.

Once you start using it you can have some fun with it. On the weekend I was on a ride with a group of people and I needed to move backwards to position myself. I started to walk it and the slight uphill slope stopped me. One of the guys asked if I needed a hand. I said no and just put her in reverse and pushed the starter. His reaction was priceless. He looked wide eyed and just said Bull shit.
Made me laugh.
Almost as much fun is pulling up beside a Harley or Wing and deploying the EHCS.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #7 of 14 Old Dec 30th, 2018, 9:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Almost as much fun is pulling up beside a Harley or Wing and deploying the EHCS.
I love my EHCS!

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #8 of 14 Old Dec 31st, 2018, 3:35 am

Quote:
Unfortunately the previous owner of my bike removed it and all I have is a standard run of the mill center stand. Only have one trick and that's reverse.
post #9 of 14 Old Dec 31st, 2018, 7:45 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
My favorite is pulling along side a group of... and with the cruise control engaged and a wave of my throttle hand - press the accelerate button and pull away while still waving.
djmellor and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #10 of 14 Old Dec 31st, 2018, 8:27 am Thread Starter

I never would have got this on my own Just to make sure .Turn knob to R,Hold the starter button with the engine running,thats a little scary and the bike will start backing up then release button to stop,turn knob back to 12 oclock.Thanks all.
post #11 of 14 Old Dec 31st, 2018, 10:50 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
Unfortunately the previous owner of my bike removed it and all I have is a standard run of the mill center stand. Only have one trick and that's reverse.
That’s just wrong! That’s like castrating a prize bull.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #12 of 14 Old Dec 31st, 2018, 11:27 am

Quote:
That’s just wrong! That’s like castrating a prize bull.
Funny but not wrong as the 2000 was born a eunuch and never had the EHCS. Was 2005 the first year wit it?

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #13 of 14 Old Dec 31st, 2018, 11:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut789 View Post
I never would have got this on my own Just to make sure .Turn knob to R,Hold the starter button with the engine running,thats a little scary and the bike will start backing up then release button to stop,turn knob back to 12 oclock.Thanks all.
Of course, one has to be careful to look / study where your wheels and your feet will end up BEFORE pushing on the starter button (to activate reverse movement).

Honda GoldWing fans have also enjoyed a similar reverse mechanism (run indirectly from starter) since the 1987 model (GL1500). Based on the number of Honda GoldWing GL1500 and GL1800 that are still on the road, this is Not as unusual as it looks.

Considering the weight of these 2 beasts (K1200LT and GoldWing) this became a much needed features as they grew in features and weight - about 880 lbs fully fueled for both. The original simple GoldWing of 1975 was only 650 lbs (no fairings or sidecases on these).

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #14 of 14 Old Dec 31st, 2018, 1:59 pm

Cool Re: reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut789 View Post
You got it. Seems strange at first, but you get used to it. Switching to "R" allows the starter motor to engage the reverse gear. It's about 136:1 as I recall, so you can back up a steep hill (I found the first time I had to use it.) I suppose the brakes work in reverse, but I've never used them backing up. Release the starter button & it stops. Feet down for stability, and you have a lot of bike behind you, so don't back into something. :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in