shifting into first whiles stopped - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By sailor
  • 2 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Dec 30th, 2018, 2:49 pm Thread Starter

shifting into first whiles stopped

First off thanks everyone for all the info.My first BMW.Another question I have is I cannot shift into first from a stop with the clutch fully engaged.Lever pulled all the way in.I have to hold down on the shifter and slowly release the clutch lever until it drops into gear.Is this normal or is something wrong?

Last edited by jzeiler; Jan 16th, 2019 at 9:14 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Dec 30th, 2018, 3:08 pm

Re: shifting into first whiles topped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut789 View Post
First off thanks everyone for all the info.My first BMW.Another question I have is I cannot shift into first from a stop with the clutch fully engaged.Lever pulled all the way in.I have to hold down on the shifter and slowly release the clutch lever until it drops into gear.Is this normal or is something wrong?
Yes, this is common complain and has been discussed in the past on many BMW forums.

I have to assume your background is from other motorcycles having a "wet clutch" (roughly 95% have wet clutch except many BMW and some Ducati)
- most bike on the market (Japan or others) have a multi-plate WET clutch (in oil bath).

- on a WET clutch transmission, the oil will cause some friction to remain - hence the transmission shaft(s) will continue to turn even with clutch lever fully pulled.

- when the clutch lever is pulled fully on a DRY clutch motorcycle (like a boxer BMW or your K1200LT), the transmission shaft will often stop turning completely as there is no friction remaining within the clutch mechanism.

So based on the above, if the shaft does not turn, and the gear are not exactly aligned, they need to turn just a way bit to engage together. Most common solution is to move bike back-and-forth about 6 inches (not very practical) or better: just release the clutch lever slightly to create a bit of friction as you engage 1st (from a standstill).

If you are still having problem using this common tip above, then the next step would be to clean and grease the external gearshift linkage. It has a tendency to be rough and not move smoothly after many years or usage (if not cleaned and greased).
Check this video for help:
saddleman likes this.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #3 of 18 Old Dec 30th, 2018, 3:09 pm

Cool Re: shifting into first whiles topped

Quote:
Clutch fully disengaged (lever pulled in.) Not uncommon to have to roll it a tiny bit to allow 1st to engage. You get used to it. I had to think whether that even happens. It does. I think I let the clutch out a tad, pull it back in, then drop it into 1st, then go.

post #4 of 18 Old Dec 30th, 2018, 3:55 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I always shift into first before I stop and I remain in gear for the duration of the light. I only go to N at RR crossings where I have a bit of a wait.

But yes let the clutch out a small amount and she will slide right into gear, don't "stomp" on the lever.
2002LTC and saddleman like this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 Old Dec 30th, 2018, 4:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Normal for a dry clutch.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 Old Dec 30th, 2018, 5:59 pm Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.
post #7 of 18 Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 8:27 pm

Garage

I have also found that new gear oil in the transmission makes it shift easier as well. The LT has its quirks, but once you figure them all out and get used to them she is a beauty.
post #8 of 18 Old Jan 4th, 2019, 4:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002LTC View Post
I have also found that new gear oil in the transmission makes it shift easier as well. The LT has its quirks, but once you figure them all out and get used to them she is a beauty.
Yes I had all kinds of trouble shifting gears when I first bought mine. I changed the shift linkages to Power Shift units, changed the oil ( a couple of times )

Now it shifts as smooth as snot on a todlers face.
post #9 of 18 Old Jan 5th, 2019, 8:41 am Thread Starter

2000 BMW K1200LT.can you tell me what the power shift unit is?

Last edited by Wingnut789; Jan 5th, 2019 at 9:04 am.
post #10 of 18 Old Jan 5th, 2019, 5:51 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If you watched Kirk's video you know what is in there now this is picture of what Wazza is talking about. On e-bay for $110. They do not come apart and are sealed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l225.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	149233  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Last edited by jzeiler; Jan 6th, 2019 at 10:05 am.
post #11 of 18 Old Jan 5th, 2019, 7:29 pm Thread Starter

thanks
post #12 of 18 Old Jan 6th, 2019, 4:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
If you watched Kirk's video you know what is in there now this is picture of what Wazza is talking about. On e-bay for $110. They do not come apart and are sealed.
Yes sorry I should have explained what I was talking about. One of the best things you can easily do. They are far more robust than the original shift linkages and you never need to pull them apart to service them. Of course it never hurts to at least periodically check to make sure none of the mounting threads have come loose. My original ball joints were a bit shaky.
post #13 of 18 Old Jan 8th, 2019, 1:25 pm

Garage

All the above..
Also,if you haven't already, try lifting to shift into second then down to first while stopped.

Enjoy the journey!

2003 K1200LT
2005 Yamaha R1
1975 CR125 Elsinore
1974 Honda CB750K4
1974 H2 750 Kaw
1970 Triumph 650
1961 Pan/Shovel
Couple Mini Trail's QA' & CT's

Last edited by CR125Honda; Jan 8th, 2019 at 6:12 pm.
post #14 of 18 Old Jan 16th, 2019, 1:04 am

Garage

My 05 sometimes does that when cold start, I try with a combination of releasing the clutch while in N, rocking the bike a bit back and fro, and also throttle up a bit and release. It works. At stops I try to stay in 1st, clutch disengaged, if the red light lasts too long, I set to N, then do the aforementioned if 1st gear refuses to engage, to prevent impatient driver reactions, I look to switch into 1st some few secs before light goes green, more because I'm trying to be courteous to all, not because I worry someone may honk. The bike is so big, people just don't honk at it. Which is very cool.
post #15 of 18 Old Jan 16th, 2019, 8:36 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexs View Post
My 05 sometimes does that when cold start, I try with a combination of releasing the clutch while in N, rocking the bike a bit back and fro, and also throttle up a bit and release. It works. At stops I try to stay in 1st, clutch disengaged, if the red light lasts too long, I set to N, then do the aforementioned if 1st gear refuses to engage, to prevent impatient driver reactions, I look to switch into 1st some few secs before light goes green, more because I'm trying to be courteous to all, not because I worry someone may honk. The bike is so big, people just don't honk at it. Which is very cool.
The easiest method is the one Sailor mentioned and the one I also use. Just put slight pressure downward on the shift lever and slowly release the clutch. As soon as the clutch starts to engage, the transmission will snick into gear slick as the scum on a Louisiana swamp. Then just add throttle and ease out the clutch and move away as from any other stop. Easy peasey.

No need to rock bike back and forth or any other histrionics.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #16 of 18 Old Jan 16th, 2019, 9:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
the transmission will snick into gear slick as the scum on a Louisiana swamp. .
Colourful description, I must give it a try sometime!

Previous username - ajlelectronics
post #17 of 18 Old Jan 16th, 2019, 12:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
Colourful description, I must give it a try sometime!
I am pretty sure that is from a song which I canít for the life of me remember at the moment.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #18 of 18 Old Jan 16th, 2019, 4:35 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
The easiest method is the one Sailor mentioned ...slick as the scum on a Louisiana swamp. Then just add throttle and ease out the clutch and move away as from any other stop.
Thanks! Will try! As soon as the yearly SoCal 3 Storms Celebration Week is over and the swamp outside turns back into roads again. 🙂

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in