abs light - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Dec 29th, 2018, 2:12 pm Thread Starter

abs light

new to me bike.ABS light flashes when bike is started.Goes out when I start rolling and stays out until I shut it off and restart.Then flashes again until I start rolling.Is this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Dec 29th, 2018, 3:24 pm

Re: abs light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut789 View Post
new to me bike.ABS light flashes when bike is started.Goes out when I start rolling and stays out until I shut it off and restart.Then flashes again until I start rolling.Is this normal?
Totally normal. There is a self test procedure that is completed by the ABS sensing both front and rear wheel movement and then it completes and shuts the lights off. They should both be blinking at the same time and go out. An alternating flash or just one of the lights would mean some issue is present.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Dec 29th, 2018, 4:12 pm

Ha Ha yes it's a bit like a German sense of humor. Turn the bike on and you get a message that says break failure. It amuses me every time, especially if someone else sees it.
Only worry if it stays on. But then in the 40's they also had a strange idea for a European vacation.

post #4 of 8 Old Dec 29th, 2018, 6:25 pm Thread Starter

Thank you.Yes both lights blinking until I get rolling
post #5 of 8 Old Dec 29th, 2018, 10:55 pm

I read somewhere that the lights go off at 3mph as the test needs to detect that the front and rear wheel sensors are matching.

Still rolling in Southern Oregon
post #6 of 8 Old Dec 30th, 2018, 12:49 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Just be aware there are two phases to the self test. First there is an internal self test where the lights flash rapidly. This usually completes in a few seconds, UNLESS you are applying the brakes when the key is turned on. If you do that they will continue to fast flash until you release the brakes. Once the brakes are released the internal test will finish and the lights transition to the slow flash. All internal testing has completed at this point and it is waiting for wheel sensor input. Once you roll a few feet that test will complete and the lights will go out.

To avoid messing with the internal test at key on, while on a slope, just leave the bike in gear to hold the bike and then once it transitions to slow flash you can apply the brakes and either pull in the clutch or shift to neutral to start the bike.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 Old Dec 30th, 2018, 1:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut789 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Just be aware there are two phases to the self test. First there is an internal self test where the lights flash rapidly. This usually completes in a few seconds, UNLESS you are applying the brakes when the key is turned on. If you do that they will continue to fast flash until you release the brakes. Once the brakes are released the internal test will finish and the lights transition to the slow flash. All internal testing has completed at this point and it is waiting for wheel sensor input. Once you roll a few feet that test will complete and the lights will go out.

To avoid messing with the internal test at key on, while on a slope, just leave the bike in gear to hold the bike and then once it transitions to slow flash you can apply the brakes and either pull in the clutch or shift to neutral to start the bike.
John and all,

I believe the OP (wingnut789) has created confusion by omitting to specify what year K1200LT he has in EVERY question - a very common problem here on our forums.

Based on a quick search of his earlier posts, it appear he has a 2000 model, THUS he does NOT have integral-ABS with servos. Instead he has earlier system called ABS2 that is simpler (seen in 1999-2001 models for USA market).

(1) He should keep in mind that these ABS2 will flash both warning lights at same speed after ignition ON if basic initial checks are OK. Of course, these also need your bike to move up to certain speed before the system can confirm that both ABS wheel speed sensor are responding equally on both wheels.

(2) IN CASE the basic initial self-checks are NOT OK (just after ignition ON), these ABS2 system will flash both warnings in alternate fashion - this is often referred in forums as the "Wig-Wag" or "WigWag".

(3) some warning may also be caused by low battery voltage, so it is always suggested AFTER IGNITION ON, to wait approx 5 seconds before you press the stater button. This will give a change to the ABS internal self check to proceed with max amount of voltage available

(4) Contrary to later Integral-ABS system, on these ABS2 systems. the fluid level of all reservoirs is NOT monitored and no warning will appear in case of low level (either handlebar master -OR- rear round reservoir above footpeg)

P.S.: OF COURSE, I am fully aware that John knows these differences between ABS2 and Integral-ABS, I am just including them for the OP who appear unfamiliar with his own system for a 2000 year K1200LT.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Last edited by sailor; Dec 30th, 2018 at 4:13 pm.
post #8 of 8 Old Dec 30th, 2018, 3:59 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Thanks John. I blew that one and you saved me once again.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in