Pivot Bearings for Rear Drive - New source ***No Longer Available*** - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 14Likes
  • 4 Post By sailor
  • 2 Post By Bob.K1200LT
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 1 Post By saddleman
  • 1 Post By saddleman
  • 1 Post By sailor
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 2 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By Voyager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 10:16 am Thread Starter

Pivot Bearings for Rear Drive - New source ***No Longer Available***

********NOTE These are no longer available ****** they were an inferior product and were removed.

While scanning EBAY for some K1200RS / K1200LT used parts, I saw that Euro-MotoElectrics has added these Final-Drive Pivot Bearing to their catalog recently. Very good price at about 40% of the regular retail price at your BMW dealer.

Based on the photos of the ad these are made by FAG. Only God knows how they have been able to outsource these - many have tried in the past and were told these bearing are special order only - they had originally been custom design only for BMW Motorrad. These replace equivalent BMW part no: 33 17 2 311 091

Besides EBAY where I found these, of course you can also order directly from the Euro-MotoElectrics web site where you can find many aftermarket or original parts for les than dealer price (air-filters, sensors, fuel hoses...)
https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/pr...bearing091.htm

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/F-Drive-Swin...Hwxf:rk:2:pf:0

P.S.: I have no business relationship in any way to Euro-MotoElectrics other than being a satisfied customers...
Gino, Patric, CR125Honda and 1 others like this.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Last edited by jzeiler; Feb 19th, 2019 at 4:50 pm. Reason: Item no longer available
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 3:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Pivot Bearings for Rear Drive - New source

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
While scanning EBAY for some K1200RS / K1200LT used parts, I saw that Euro-MotoElectrics has added these Final-Drive Pivot Bearing to their catalog recently. Very good price at about 40% of the regular retail price at your BMW dealer.

Based on the photos of the ad these are made by FAG. God only knows how they have been able to outsource these - many have tried in the past and were told these bearing are special order as they had originally been custom design only for BMW. These replace equivalent BMW part no: 33 17 2 311 091

Besides EBAY where I found these, of course you can also order directly from the Euro-MotoElectrics web site where you can find many aftermarket or original parts for les than dealer price (air-filters, sensors, fuel hoses...)
https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/pr...bearing091.htm

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/F-Drive-Swin...Hwxf:rk:2:pf:0

P.S.: I have no business relationship in any way to Euro-MotoElectrics other than being a satisfied customers...
That is a great find. I may switch back next time I have mine apart as I am not sure I like the bronze bushings. These are reasonable enough price to just replace them every 30-40,000 miles.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 39 Old Jan 7th, 2019, 2:51 pm

Sailor --- Thanks for posting this...I just ordered a set. I've been debating which way to go so your post was very timely.
Will report back when they arrive and installed..

/Bob
sailor and Voyager like this.

Bob Johnson
Knoxville TN
2004 K1200LT
1973 R75/5

post #4 of 39 Old Jan 11th, 2019, 11:38 pm

These seem to be a better solution, BeemerShop Ei Paralever Bushing Kit R1100S/ R1150 ALL/ K1200RS/LT/GT . I received a set and they appear to be first rate aerospace quality. When I do my 48k service I'll install them when I have the bike apart.

Current Bikes

2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650, Ya it's a scooter but it will do over 100 MPH
2005 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R1150RT
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
post #5 of 39 Old Jan 12th, 2019, 12:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by azccj View Post
These seem to be a better solution, BeemerShop Ei Paralever Bushing Kit R1100S/ R1150 ALL/ K1200RS/LT/GT . I received a set and they appear to be first rate aerospace quality. When I do my 48k service I'll install them when I have the bike apart.
They do appear to be a good solution and several of us on the forum including myself already have them installed. None us however, have enough real time, miles and years on them to be able to tell how they will actually hold up compared to the needle bearings but we all have high hopes.
sailor likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Ė Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Ė Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 39 Old Jan 12th, 2019, 3:55 pm

Installation is slick. Kirk Johnson has a video. I have put 10K on a set on my 1150RT, but thatís not a lot. Original eqpt lasted 55K.
post #7 of 39 Old Jan 12th, 2019, 4:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbob307 View Post
Installation is slick. Kirk Johnson has a video. I have put 10K on a set on my 1150RT, but thatís not a lot. Original eqpt lasted 55K.
Someone mentioned recently that the Beemershop parts had already had a substantial change in material from, if memory serves, aluminum to steel. That suggests that they didnít get it right the first time and did not do extensive testing prior to sale (unfortunately, very common with small businesses). It also suggests those who bought the early parts may have trouble at some point. And it lends question to whether they got it right the second time. Given my less than stellar experience with the JL bronze bushings, I likely will go back to the stock style tapered rollers, but from the less expensive source listed by Sailor. At the better price, I can change them every 48K or so and not worry in between.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #8 of 39 Old Jan 13th, 2019, 3:41 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage

Regarding the torque when installing the OEM needle bearings.....
Manual recommends a preload of 9Nm then a final of 7 Nm.
Remember an ex BMW wrench saying 7Nm was too low.
Suggested that 10-12Nm was better.
YMMV

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #9 of 39 Old Jan 13th, 2019, 7:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilton View Post
Regarding the torque when installing the OEM needle bearings.....
Manual recommends a preload of 9Nm then a final of 7 Nm.
Remember an ex BMW wrench saying 7Nm was too low.
Suggested that 10-12Nm was better.
YMMV
I would be interested in why he stated it was too low and suspect it would hasten the demise of those bearings since they don't roll. They certainly don't flop around if properly installed at 7Nm. The .2mm factory over shimming of the FD crown bearing causing metal fatigue. Probably the same effect here.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #10 of 39 Old Jan 13th, 2019, 10:15 am
Enjoy The Ride

I have never understood why it bothers anyone if the OEM bearings get the little notches in them. It has no effect on the handling & every now & then just reset the preload.
niel_petersen likes this.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #11 of 39 Old Jan 13th, 2019, 11:58 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
I have never understood why it bothers anyone if the OEM bearings get the little notches in them. It has no effect on the handling & every now & then just reset the preload.
Dave, in retrospect, I agree with you. I wish I had kept my OEM bearings and just grease and adjust them every 24,000 miles or so. I was hoping to avoid that chore given that the LT is far too maintenance intensive already and that is why I sent with the bronze bushings. Turns out, they also require greasing every 24,000 or less so nothing gained and they are harder to adjust properly.

Depending on how my bushings look when I take them apart next time, I may just replace them with the OEM style bearings and add that to the 24K maintenance list.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #12 of 39 Old Jan 13th, 2019, 12:05 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I have removed final drives that had several of the needle bearings missing & the rider never noticed the difference. The outside bearing race wears more than the inside race so I just swap the races each time I re-grease them. I don't swap the bearings just the bearing races.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #13 of 39 Old Jan 13th, 2019, 12:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
I have removed final drives that had several of the needle bearings missing & the rider never noticed the difference. The outside bearing race wears more than the inside race so I just swap the races each time I re-grease them. I don't swap the bearings just the bearing races.
Where do you buy just the outer race? The only good bearing supply house in my area went out of business many moons ago.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #14 of 39 Old Jan 13th, 2019, 12:53 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Where do you buy just the outer race? The only good bearing supply house in my area went out of business many moons ago.
I don't replace the outer race. I buff them on a buffing wheel with white rouge buffing compound in both directions & reinstall them.

I'll take some pictures of the before & after the next time I have a rebuild.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #15 of 39 Old Jan 13th, 2019, 3:26 pm

If you can buff them w white rouge, they are fully serviceable races. I'd suggest simply polishing them up in a lathe with wet-or-dry 320 grit and a lube like WD-40. May be quicker.

Juggling the preload torque spec is a pretty much useless exercise here as the final preload when the jam nuts are tightened will be substantially different. Personally I adjust for a trace or no-less-than zero detectable backlash with the jam nut tight.

Pre-retirement engineering tests suggested that tapered and needle roller bearings behave very well in limited rotation fatigue operation as long as there was minimum preload. We did found that using a calcium based grease (AeroShell 14 or equivalent) helped too.
post #16 of 39 Old Jan 13th, 2019, 5:29 pm
Enjoy The Ride

It take me less than a minute to buff two races.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #17 of 39 Old Jan 14th, 2019, 12:03 am

Quote:
Someone mentioned recently that the Beemershop parts had already had a substantial change in material from, if memory serves, aluminum to steel. That suggests that they didnít get it right the first time and did not do extensive testing prior to sale (unfortunately, very common with small businesses). It also suggests those who bought the early parts may have trouble at some point. And it lends question to whether they got it right the second time. Given my less than stellar experience with the JL bronze bushings, I likely will go back to the stock style tapered rollers, but from the less expensive source listed by Sailor. At the better price, I can change them every 48K or so and not worry in between.
The parts I received from Beemershop are definitely made of steel not aluminum. My view on the matter is this. Even if I was to buy the cheaper bearings listed by the OP, the pair of bearings would cost just about $9.00 less than the Beemershop product. Of the 2 types of pivot systems available and seeing as they are nearly the same price, I would prefer to install the Beemershop bushing system, which can be lubed in place and which will hopefully last the life of the bike. Time and miles will tell.

Current Bikes

2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650, Ya it's a scooter but it will do over 100 MPH
2005 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R1150RT
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
post #18 of 39 Old Jan 14th, 2019, 12:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by azccj View Post
The parts I received from Beemershop are definitely made of steel not aluminum. My view on the matter is this. Even if I was to buy the cheaper bearings listed by the OP, the pair of bearings would cost just about $9.00 less than the Beemershop product. Of the 2 types of pivot systems available and seeing as they are nearly the same price, I would prefer to install the Beemershop bushing system, which can be lubed in place and which will hopefully last the life of the bike. Time and miles will tell.
Same logic I used when I bought the bronze bushings 8 year ago... I wish you luck and keep us posted on your experience as the miles accumulate.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #19 of 39 Old Feb 19th, 2019, 4:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:

Since I had started this thread, I taught it would be appropriate to update it whenever there was a change.

Since yesterday, these Pivot-Bearing for the Rear-Drive have been removed from Euro-MotoElectrics web site - no trace of it anywhere - well not using their own search engine for their catalog. Unfortunately, it has been too long since my 1st post on this and the forum software will not let change the title or the text in this 1st post to warn about N/A.

Removal from their web site could well be related to recent negative experience that one of our member VOYAGER had with these Bearings. If you start from this point in the link below and read further you will see that eventually he got good service from Euro-MotoElectrics to fix this mistake with a refund.
https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt...ml#post1901497

I can only hope that in a way or another they would inform us when/IF the "real" FAG equivalent will be available again from them. I will keep looking at their web site once-in-a-while.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

John (Montreal, CANADA)
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #20 of 39 Old Feb 19th, 2019, 4:53 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I fixed it for you John
sailor likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #21 of 39 Old Feb 19th, 2019, 5:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
I fixed it for you John
THANKS !
Was not aware you had some ADMIN privilege to do this now. Cool...

P.S.:
I am now retired from software programming (25 years) and certainly do not care to get any kind of such privileges.
Been there / done that ;-)

John (Montreal, CANADA)
post #22 of 39 Old Feb 19th, 2019, 8:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Since I had started this thread, I taught it would be appropriate to update it whenever there was a change.

Since yesterday, these Pivot-Bearing for the Rear-Drive have been removed from Euro-MotoElectrics web site - no trace of it anywhere - well not using their own search engine for their catalog. Unfortunately, it has been too long since my 1st post on this and the forum software will not let change the title or the text in this 1st post to warn about N/A.

Removal from their web site could well be related to recent negative experience that one of our member VOYAGER had with these Bearings. If you start from this point in the link below and read further you will see that eventually he got good service from Euro-MotoElectrics to fix this mistake with a refund.
https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt...ml#post1901497

I can only hope that in a way or another they would inform us when/IF the "real" FAG equivalent will be available again from them. I will keep looking at their web site once-in-a-while.
I have no idea why EME no longer sources the FAG bearings, but given the experience that BBY had when they sold the slave cylinders from Magura, I would not be one bit surprised that if FAG was selling bearings to EME they probably got a call from a lawyer at BMW. I donít expect to see genuine FAG bearings from any source other than BMW. Any other bearing will be a knock-off. The best we can likely hope for is either a much better knock-off than what I received or that the Emerald Island bushings work better than did the JL bushings.
sailor and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #23 of 39 Old Feb 20th, 2019, 8:50 am

Re: Pivot Bearings for Rear Drive - New source ***No Longer Available***

That's really odd because I just recently purchased a set from EME while they were still in stock and they were marked FAG and installed with no problem. Races were very smooth in both directions. Installed the FD, preloaded the bearings to spec and the FD movement was very smooth up/down.
Maybe I got lucky because I jumped on buying a set the day or two after Sailor posted the source. Now that the source has dried up, I'll be going back to BMW the next time. I personally don't think the JL Bronze Bushing or Emerald Island systems are a good fit for the application

Bob Johnson
Knoxville TN
2004 K1200LT
1973 R75/5

Last edited by Bob.K1200LT; Feb 20th, 2019 at 8:59 am.
post #24 of 39 Old Feb 21st, 2019, 8:17 am

Garage

On Advrider there is a vendor (Mouthfullofflake, I think) who is selling nylager bushings. Search the venders area for "Nushing" and they will come up. I have a set on my GS and they perform flawlessly. No lubrication is needed so they stay cleaner and are essentially maintenance free. Very reasonably priced and easy to install as well. I'm assuming they are the same part #. Usual disclaimers: Not my business, no affiliation, not getting a cut, use at your own risk, YMMV, etc.

PS - My first post. If I broke rule let me know. I found this site because I'm trading a K12RS for a K12LT this weekend. I'm excited to get on an LT. I had a K100LT back in the day that I rode all over the place.

'Bruin
post #25 of 39 Old Feb 21st, 2019, 9:05 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruincounselor View Post
On Advrider there is a vendor (Mouthfullofflake, I think) who is selling nylager bushings. Search the venders area for "Nushing" and they will come up. I have a set on my GS and they perform flawlessly. No lubrication is needed so they stay cleaner and are essentially maintenance free. Very reasonably priced and easy to install as well. I'm assuming they are the same part #. Usual disclaimers: Not my business, no affiliation, not getting a cut, use at your own risk, YMMV, etc.

PS - My first post. If I broke rule let me know. I found this site because I'm trading a K12RS for a K12LT this weekend. I'm excited to get on an LT. I had a K100LT back in the day that I rode all over the place.

'Bruin
How many miles do you have on them? The JL bushings looked great after 27,000 miles, but not so much after 50,000.

Please try those on your “new” LT and keep us posted as to how they hold up.

I found the Advrider reference and it led directly to their web site. The price is certainly good, but I personally will not try these as I do not see a good description as to how they work or an exploded diagram of the parts. And the preload until the FD will not move under its own weight is close to how the JL bushings were installed and this friction deadens the rear suspension responsiveness much as the JL bushings did. I didn’t notice it much until things starting getting worse this past year and when the squeaking started I was pretty sure the bushings were shot. I expect my LT to be much softer over small bumps once I get the OEM bearings back in place of the high drag bushings.

However, as I explored the site I came across this which looks very interesting. If I had not already bought the EME nylon hose for use inside my tank, I would have bought this SS u-pipe as it is exactly what I was thinking about making myself. The only thing I would do differently is use a bead rather than barbs as barbs tend to damage the fuel hose and require replacement each time you disassembly the fitting, but then the short lengths required inside the tank make this an inexpensive proposition and it is probably good practice to replace the hoses at every filter change anyway. So for those who have not yet bought the nylon hoses, this looks like a great solution combined with a few inches of high quality submersible rated fuel hose.
http://nushings.com/#/moreproduct

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Last edited by Voyager; Feb 21st, 2019 at 9:22 am.
post #26 of 39 Old Feb 21st, 2019, 9:12 am

Garage

Quote:
How many miles do you have on them? The JL bushings looked great after 27,000 miles, but not so much after 50,000.
I'm guessing in the 20,000 mile range. This is on a GS that sees lots of gravel roads. Just offering another option. The metal bearings/bushings require lube, which inevitably attracts grit. These are synthetic, self lubricating, and essentially stay dry so less likely to attract the grit. YMMV.
post #27 of 39 Old Feb 21st, 2019, 9:25 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I'm guessing in the 20,000 mile range. This is on a GS that sees lots of gravel roads. Just offering another option. The metal bearings/bushings require lube, which inevitably attracts grit. These are synthetic, self lubricating, and essentially stay dry so less likely to attract the grit. YMMV.
If they last at least 50,000 miles, I will get intrigued.

The JL bushings didn’t start to fail until probably 40,000 miles or more. I could feel the friction and hear squeaking by 50,000.

Do they come apart so you can see the bearing surfaces? I saw no detail at their web site. Are the synthetic inserts straight or tapered? I was hoping to see a cross section or an exploded diagram at the web site, but I did not find any details as to construction.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #28 of 39 Old Feb 21st, 2019, 9:48 am

Garage

Quote:
If they last at least 50,000 miles, I will get intrigued.

The JL bushings didnít start to fail until probably 40,000 miles or more. I could feel the friction and hear squeaking by 50,000.

Do they come apart so you can see the bearing surfaces? I saw no detail at their web site. Are the synthetic inserts straight or tapered? I was hoping to see a cross section or an exploded diagram at the web site, but I did not find any details as to construction.
His install sheet has photos of the bushings:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...d_8KO2EjI/edit

They are one piece - the pin is the friction surface. Simple by design. I didn't intend to hijack this thread, just providing another option. You should contact seller directly for anecdotal mileage/durability information. The LT is a heavy beast, but probably faces less impact than an abused (ridden) GS.
post #29 of 39 Old Feb 21st, 2019, 10:11 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

They are one piece - the pin is the friction surface. Simple by design. I didn't intend to hijack this thread, just providing another option. You should contact seller directly for anecdotal mileage/durability information. The LT is a heavy beast, but probably faces less impact than an abused (ridden) GS.
That was my fear. Using an aluminum pin that was not designed to be a wear surface as the bearing surface. I am happy to let others test this out on the LT.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #30 of 39 Old Feb 21st, 2019, 10:37 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

I donít think you hijacked the thread at all. Many of us are looking for a better and/or cheaper alternative to the $210 OEM bearings. I tried one of the early alternatives myself, but it did not pan out. Others are trying the Emerald Island solution. Hopefully, someone will try the Nushing option ... it just wonít be me.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #31 of 39 Old Feb 21st, 2019, 10:46 am

Garage

Quote:
However, as I explored the site I came across this which looks very interesting. If I had not already bought the EME nylon hose for use inside my tank, I would have bought this SS u-pipe as it is exactly what I was thinking about making myself. The only thing I would do differently is use a bead rather than barbs as barbs tend to damage the fuel hose and require replacement each time you disassembly the fitting, but then the short lengths required inside the tank make this an inexpensive proposition and it is probably good practice to replace the hoses at every filter change anyway. So for those who have not yet bought the nylon hoses, this looks like a great solution combined with a few inches of high quality submersible rated fuel hose.
Nushing
I've done this mod on 2 FI BMW's. The barbs are not a likely failure point - you won't be taking that apart to change the filter. He's working up a kit with the correct hose so contact him and he'll sell you a kit with everything. I did it on my own so can't speak to the kit or u bend he's using.
post #32 of 39 Old Feb 21st, 2019, 10:53 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

FWIW I was following the ADVRider site during the development of these bushings (I owned a GS at the time). The GS community was shattering the JL bushings so they looked elsewhere for a better solution. Guess nothing is better than the original bearings and they are not good either.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #33 of 39 Old Feb 21st, 2019, 12:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I've done this mod on 2 FI BMW's. The barbs are not a likely failure point - you won't be taking that apart to change the filter. He's working up a kit with the correct hose so contact him and he'll sell you a kit with everything. I did it on my own so can't speak to the kit or u bend he's using.
I would have bought a kit had I not already bought the EME nylon tubing. I think the nylon tubing will also be a good solution as long as it doesnít rub on the inside of the tank and it appears some judicious trimming of the tubing will prevent that. I was glad to come across this solution though as it is always good to have options. I may contact him about 90 degree versions as that would greatly facilitate the use of bulk external hose to the fuel rail.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #34 of 39 Old Feb 21st, 2019, 12:46 pm

Quote:
I would have bought a kit had I not already bought the EME nylon tubing. I think the nylon tubing will also be a good solution as long as it doesnít rub on the inside of the tank and it appears some judicious trimming of the tubing will prevent that. I was glad to come across this solution though as it is always good to have options. I may contact him about 90 degree versions as that would greatly facilitate the use of bulk external hose to the fuel rail.
You can remove the sending tube from the top of the tank and see exactly what if anything needs to be addressed with positioning of the pump assembly and the lines impacting any part of the tank structure. My loop is bigger than it needed to be but still doesn't hit anything as long as the pump isn't twisted in one direction or the other when tightening. This is my view through the sending tube opening.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01950.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	316.7 KB
ID:	150003  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #35 of 39 Old Feb 21st, 2019, 1:14 pm

Garage

Quote:
That was my fear. Using an aluminum pin that was not designed to be a wear surface as the bearing surface. I am happy to let others test this out on the LT.
I get what you are saying about the pins. But even if you replace them at the same time as the bushings you will be money ahead; not likely as the bearing material will wear more than the aluminum pin. It would be interesting to have hard data on the actual life of the various bearing/bushing solutions out there - I wonder what BMW engineers thought the target design life of the roller assembly would be and if they hit that mark or were just plain wrong.

Overall it's not BMW's finest engineering solution; the good news is that it's fairly quick and easy to service.
post #36 of 39 Old Feb 21st, 2019, 1:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I get what you are saying about the pins. But even if you replace them at the same time as the bushings you will be money ahead; not likely as the bearing material will wear more than the aluminum pin. It would be interesting to have hard data on the actual life of the various bearing/bushing solutions out there - I wonder what BMW engineers thought the target design life of the roller assembly would be and if they hit that mark or were just plain wrong.

Overall it's not BMW's finest engineering solution; the good news is that it's fairly quick and easy to service.
I agree. Data would be great. I hope someone tries these on an LT and tracks the pin wear and any development of slop in the joint as wear occurs.

I am not sure the BMW solution is all that bad in retrospect. Saddleman is doing fine with the OEM bearings and routine maintenance. The only thing I believe BMW could have done better is to use so-called “full complement” bearings. I suspect that would have easily yielded 100,000 miles of service life, albeit with trickier installation as the needles have no cage to hold them in with a full complement design so you have to be more careful during installation.
bruincounselor likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Last edited by Voyager; Feb 21st, 2019 at 4:20 pm.
post #37 of 39 Old Feb 26th, 2019, 10:37 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
FWIW I was following the ADVRider site during the development of these bushings (I owned a GS at the time). The GS community was shattering the JL bushings so they looked elsewhere for a better solution. Guess nothing is better than the original bearings and they are not good either.
But John did you follow the development of the Nushings? I think the Adventure Rider crowd have given these a thumbs up.

nushings.com

I installed a set in my R1100GS and thought they were quite the thing. No reason they shouldn't work just as good in a LT.

2007 K1200LT "BUTKA"
post #38 of 39 Old Feb 27th, 2019, 6:42 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
But John did you follow the development of the Nushings? I think the Adventure Rider crowd have given these a thumbs up.

nushings.com

I installed a set in my R1100GS and thought they were quite the thing. No reason they shouldn't work just as good in a LT.
As was discussed earlier, how many miles did you put on them? Less than about 50,000 isnít much of a test as both the OEM bearings and even the JL bushings will last that long in an LT. An LT and a GS are quite different bikes. The LT is much heavier and will impose much greater ďstaticĒ loads on the pivot bearings, even though it likely has much less impact loads as compared to a GS that is used off-road.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #39 of 39 Old Feb 27th, 2019, 3:26 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post

nushings.com

Yes but I have not been on there since I sold my GS in 2014. Is everyone happy with them and as Voyager asked how many miles on them so far?

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in