Windshield not going down all the way What to do - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Dec 22nd, 2018, 10:00 am Thread Starter

Windshield not going down all the way What to do

Hi everyone

My 2005 LTs windshield does not come down and stop on the cowl rubbers. It is up about 3/8 inch from rubber rests on either side of cowl in the full down position.
Has anyone fixed this issue?
I understand there is a stop switch in the motor but has anyone tried to remove the cap on windshield mounting arms rotating shaft shaft bearing and reposition the gear on the shaft to raise or lower windshield height?
Thx in advance
Darcy

Last edited by dodgeman88; Dec 22nd, 2018 at 10:01 am. Reason: clarify
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Dec 22nd, 2018, 4:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Windshield not going down all the way What to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeman88 View Post
Hi everyone

My 2005 LTs windshield does not come down and stop on the cowl rubbers. It is up about 3/8 inch from rubber rests on either side of cowl in the full down position.
Has anyone fixed this issue?
I understand there is a stop switch in the motor but has anyone tried to remove the cap on windshield mounting arms rotating shaft shaft bearing and reposition the gear on the shaft to raise or lower windshield height?
Thx in advance
Darcy
I am not sure what rubber rests you are referring to. I am not aware of any rubber rests that the windshield is supposed to bump against. A picture or two is priceless.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Dec 22nd, 2018, 7:58 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Maybe a non stock wind shield. My Euro Shield (factory short) touches the rubber bumpers in the down position.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old Dec 22nd, 2018, 8:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Maybe a non stock wind shield. My Euro Shield (factory short) touches the rubber bumpers in the down position.
Will have to look at mine as I don’t recall any rubber bumpers.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #5 of 9 Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 10:01 pm

Assuming your windshield previously went all the way down and that there have been no other changes since, the first thing I would do is remove the small plastic panel under the windshield to access the two grey colored relays that control the windshield movement. One relay is for up and the other is for down. Since your problem is one direction only, pull both and swap them to see if that fixes your problem with coming all the way down. Could be a relay with intermittent problems or on its way out. If this fixes your problem, you now need to identify which relay is up and which is down. Place the windshield at the half way up/down position. Pull one relay then try the up. If it goes up you have just identified which relay is still plugged in. If not, try down to confirm then replace the relay that is defective. They are expensive. I picked up a couple of used ones on eBay a while back and got lucky with two good ones.

Steve Green
US Army (Ret)
2002 KLT
Titan Silver

I don't like making plans for the day....because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.
post #6 of 9 Old Dec 24th, 2018, 11:35 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlt2002 View Post
Assuming your windshield previously went all the way down and that there have been no other changes since, the first thing I would do is remove the small plastic panel under the windshield to access the two grey colored relays that control the windshield movement. One relay is for up and the other is for down. Since your problem is one direction only, pull both and swap them to see if that fixes your problem with coming all the way down. Could be a relay with intermittent problems or on its way out. If this fixes your problem, you now need to identify which relay is up and which is down. Place the windshield at the half way up/down position. Pull one relay then try the up. If it goes up you have just identified which relay is still plugged in. If not, try down to confirm then replace the relay that is defective. They are expensive. I picked up a couple of used ones on eBay a while back and got lucky with two good ones.
sorry for the confusion

the rubber bumpers I am talking about are located on the cowl trim at the corners by the top of the left and right mirror.
They are just resting points for the windshield when in the full down position. My 2002 and 2005 have them.

The problem is with the 2005, new to me. Does not rest on those rubbers in full down position. If I remember right, it did not go all the way down when I was riding it home after purchase.

The windshield seems to have full travel up and down just does not go right to rest position on rubber rests. 1/2 inch above rest position

Like when your wipers do not park all the way down on a car. everything works just does not park properly

The dealer says there is stop switches in motor and was hoping someone had adjusted them, or adjusted by rotating the hex rod that connects the left and right arms to the motor.

thanks you all for your input
greatly appreciated
post #7 of 9 Old Dec 24th, 2018, 12:51 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

There are no adjustments you can get to in the motor and the rod is a very coarse hex so it would be a very large difference if those were moved. You never did state if it was a factory windshield or not.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #8 of 9 Old Dec 24th, 2018, 1:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
There are no adjustments you can get to in the motor and the rod is a very coarse hex so it would be a very large difference if those were moved. You never did state if it was a factory windshield or not.
its not a stock windshield CB bailey but it worked great on the 2002, hit stops etc. and I compared hole locations and measured against OEM and all the same.
I took top cover off motor and there is a brass gear on hex shaft that might be able to be rotated 1 tooth if shaft shifted out of 1 end, but that is why I was looking at the stops in motor itself.
If I decide to pursue the issue I will get into it in new year and update you all on the fix.
thx for all your input
post #9 of 9 Old Dec 24th, 2018, 2:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeman88 View Post
Quote:
its not a stock windshield CB bailey but it worked great on the 2002, hit stops etc. and I compared hole locations and measured against OEM and all the same.
I took top cover off motor and there is a brass gear on hex shaft that might be able to be rotated 1 tooth if shaft shifted out of 1 end, but that is why I was looking at the stops in motor itself.
If I decide to pursue the issue I will get into it in new year and update you all on the fix.
thx for all your input
I just checked mine with stock shield and it appears to hit the bumpers. I’d never looked closely at it before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DAF27025-5E51-4EB6-8A58-2E4743ABDC2A_1545683323052.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	372.5 KB
ID:	149009  

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in