Bucket...I mean to-do list on bike while awaiting coolant hoses: - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 112 Old Dec 12th, 2018, 10:55 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Bucket...I mean to-do list on bike while awaiting coolant hoses:

1) disable alarm system - rear trunk removed, going over John's instructions before embarking on task tomorrow.
2) voltmeter: drill hole, mount meter, PIAA system already tapped to parking light power wire, added power wire to it. DONE!
3) Fuzeblock: Run all wires to front and back for future use - DONE!
3.5) add a power block wire feed for leds to number six Fuzeblock wire. Will allow up to 8 led light sets in back.
4) wire in power for Garmin and final GXM puck install - almost done.
4) bleed inside rear bleeder port - thinking about it!
5) one final bleed of R1: this weekend.
6) new gas filter and lines: this weekend.
7) possible new external gas lines: hmmm, possibly this weekend, still thinking about difficulty
8) possible FD ship to saddleman. Going to ride it some more and see if the FD gets any hotter than what Saddleman suggested as a telltale.
9) change out hoses and coolant when hoses do arrive!

Oklahoma City, OK. 2003 K1200 LT. "Remember men, if the women don't find ya handsome, at least let 'em find ya handy." Red Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 112 Old Dec 12th, 2018, 11:35 pm

Re: Bucket...I mean to-do list on bike while awaiting coolant hoses:

Ignition wires from Euromotoelectric:
https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/category-s/1783.htm
Rebuild rear caliper with new pin kit, very susceptible to corrosion and lock up. Super clean with isopropyl alcohol puck sides. Get the 100% stuff not drugstore 70%: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0778YHHSC...i-a=B0778YHHSC
Use this to clean front pucks too. Air dry before pushing back in. Should be done once a year.
Check the correct torque for the rear swing arm main pivot bearing. One side is a base point the other side is about 7 Nm.
Go big and drop final drive (you are sending it to be rebuilt) and neversieze both end splines.
75k miles + change front wheel bearings
Ricky Chuck likes this.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #3 of 112 Old Dec 13th, 2018, 9:21 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
Rebuild rear caliper with new pin kit, very susceptible to corrosion and lock up. Super clean with isopropyl alcohol puck sides. Get the 100% stuff not drugstore 70%: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0778YHHSC...i-a=B0778YHHSC
Use this to clean front pucks too. Air dry before pushing back in. Should be done once a year.
Check the correct torque for the rear swing arm main pivot bearing. One side is a base point the other side is about 7 Nm.
Go big and drop final drive (you are sending it to be rebuilt) and neversieze both end splines.
Those are good things . At 28K I am still trying to determine which things are hurt by time and which can be determined by miles. I mean TIME hurts everything...over time, cough .

Oklahoma City, OK. 2003 K1200 LT. "Remember men, if the women don't find ya handsome, at least let 'em find ya handy." Red Green

post #4 of 112 Old Dec 13th, 2018, 5:24 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Most of this wouldn't apply to a LT. RT maybe ?.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 112 Old Dec 13th, 2018, 6:53 pm

Where did you mount the voltmeter?

Which model did you use?

2000 LT 207K miles
2010 RT 29K miles
2007 RT P 42,000 miles SOLD
1982 vision 550 Yamaha SOLD
1964 Vespa 175 w/sidecar (homemade by neighbor) SOLD
1966 Honda CL77 (2016-17 winter project) As of August 16, the Honda is running! First time in 42 years. Going to be a sweet little around town bike. SOLD,
Four corner SCMA ride 2013
All Yooper SS1000K, 6/17/17
48 state/12 day ride 2016
Great Lakes Challenge, 2011
2018 Fall Classic SS1000 Four-Corners
post #6 of 112 Old Dec 13th, 2018, 11:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
Most of this wouldn't apply to a LT. RT maybe ?.
Ah... wrote it for an LT K bike.

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #7 of 112 Old Dec 14th, 2018, 9:00 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Ah... wrote it for an LT K bike.
OK Beech but there are no pins in the LT rear caliper, it is hard mounted to the rear drive.

But I have fixed many on the GS and RT with the floating pin rear calipers.
beech likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #8 of 112 Old Dec 17th, 2018, 3:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chuck View Post
1) disable alarm system - rear trunk removed, going over John's instructions before embarking on task tomorrow.
2) voltmeter: drill hole, mount meter, PIAA system already tapped to parking light power wire, added power wire to it. DONE!
3) Fuzeblock: Run all wires to front and back for future use - DONE!
3.5) add a power block wire feed for leds to number six Fuzeblock wire. Will allow up to 8 led light sets in back.
4) wire in power for Garmin and final GXM puck install - almost done.
4) bleed inside rear bleeder port - thinking about it!
5) one final bleed of R1: this weekend.
6) new gas filter and lines: this weekend.
7) possible new external gas lines: hmmm, possibly this weekend, still thinking about difficulty
8) possible FD ship to saddleman. Going to ride it some more and see if the FD gets any hotter than what Saddleman suggested as a telltale.
9) change out hoses and coolant when hoses do arrive!
Did you end up ordering the ebay silicone hose kit? I canít remember all of the threads now, but I was thinking you did. Did they arrive? Did they come with new clamps or are you going to use the old ones? Maybe Gordon will chime in as to what he did.

What did you decide in regards to the external fuel hoses? I am nearly done stripping my LT down for the winter maintenance and was going to pass on the coolant and external fuel hoses, but now that I have things nearly exposed (got to get the airbox off yet and those clamps are always a fun time) I have decided to do the full monty since my LT will be 12 years old when I head to Alaska next summer. And thinking about standing beside a flaming LT in the middle of nowhere Canada does not sound like a good time.

I will probably go with the ebay coolant hoses, but I think I will go with OEM fuel lines given those tight bends. And the originals have lasted well so I figure I will go with custom fit.
davebullock and Ricky Chuck like this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #9 of 112 Old Dec 17th, 2018, 4:10 pm

I did all the external fuel lines and in the tank with what I got at the local auto parts store. The bends internally have been on now for 60K miles, and fine. The other external ones with the same stuff, and they have been ok for the past four years.

Since I had so much hassle figuring out my coolant leak, and ended up with a new radiator, I put on some OEM hoses-killed me and the budget, but wanted to not have anything go wrong like last year with some overheating in the mountains.

I loved your 'don't want to be standing on the side of the road next to a flaming bike in the middle of no where!' I figure with 200K on mine, if that happens, I'll take the license plate off, and head home-scanning the ads for the next bike on the way. Ride safely.

2000 LT 207K miles
2010 RT 29K miles
1966 Honda CL77 (2016-17 winter project) As of August 16, the Honda is running! First time in 42 years. Going to be a sweet little around town bike. SOLD,
post #10 of 112 Old Dec 17th, 2018, 4:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebullock View Post
I did all the external fuel lines and in the tank with what I got at the local auto parts store. The bends internally have been on now for 60K miles, and fine. The other external ones with the same stuff, and they have been ok for the past four years.

Since I had so much hassle figuring out my coolant leak, and ended up with a new radiator, I put on some OEM hoses-killed me and the budget, but wanted to not have anything go wrong like last year with some overheating in the mountains.

I loved your 'don't want to be standing on the side of the road next to a flaming bike in the middle of no where!' I figure with 200K on mine, if that happens, I'll take the license plate off, and head home-scanning the ads for the next bike on the way. Ride safely.
Did you put springs in the hoses to keep them from kinking or did they bend that tight without collapsing?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #11 of 112 Old Dec 17th, 2018, 5:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Did you put springs in the hoses to keep them from kinking or did they bend that tight without collapsing?

No springs-they worked out just fine. I've no problems at all. I changed filter along with EVERYTHING else this fall, and the hoses looked good-so closed it up.

2000 LT 207K miles
2010 RT 29K miles
post #12 of 112 Old Dec 17th, 2018, 5:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
No springs-they worked out just fine. I've no problems at all. I changed filter along with EVERYTHING else this fall, and the hoses looked good-so closed it up.
What brand of fuel hose? Do you recall the size? I am assuming probably metric.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #13 of 112 Old Dec 17th, 2018, 6:53 pm

Quote:
What brand of fuel hose? Do you recall the size? I am assuming probably metric.
multi fuel and bi compatible carb Q-09-019A 4219BF EPA compliant 15 grams m2/day
EGTSPLINEEBF1

Those are the best I can read off the fuel hose that I used. There is no diameter on the hose that I can find. I still have about 2' that I keep in the bike for emergency-although I am not looking forward to needing it!

Wish I could do better. I remember getting the fuel hose that could be used submersed. I think it was high pressure.

2000 LT 207K miles
2010 RT 29K miles
post #14 of 112 Old Dec 19th, 2018, 12:42 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Did you end up ordering the ebay silicone hose kit? I canít remember all of the threads now, but I was thinking you did. Did they arrive? Did they come with new clamps or are you going to use the old ones? Maybe Gordon will chime in as to what he did.

What did you decide in regards to the external fuel hoses? I am nearly done stripping my LT down for the winter maintenance and was going to pass on the coolant and external fuel hoses, but now that I have things nearly exposed (got to get the airbox off yet and those clamps are always a fun time) I have decided to do the full monty since my LT will be 12 years old when I head to Alaska next summer. And thinking about standing beside a flaming LT in the middle of nowhere Canada does not sound like a good time.

I will probably go with the ebay coolant hoses, but I think I will go with OEM fuel lines given those tight bends. And the originals have lasted well so I figure I will go with custom fit.
Sorry, buddy, missed this...but the hoses came in today! They ARE pretty blue, lol, but I can live with it . Are these the correct number of hoses? I haven't started yet but I thought I recalled someone had a little issue getting a stub or a short piece of hose on because of the motor mount, maybe it is part of one of these hoses, too sleepy to look it up tonight. Haven't yet seen what the clamps look like, I generally try to get new ones for good measure.

With regard to the external fuel hoses that price is annoying and I haven't yet decided what to do. If the hose would bend without kinking I would go with off the shelf. I will review what others have said. The hoses got here a bit quicker than the max range timeline, at least. I don't want to go back in either so am crossing my fingers and leaving the plugs alone for now, etc. I do need to put the new throttle cables on and it looks like a doozy of a job with the filter housing in place not to mention the coolant fan housing. Whew, gonna need a lot of eggnog this weekend .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181219_003003.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	148945  

post #15 of 112 Old Dec 19th, 2018, 7:23 am

the smaller diameter hose can be put on without removing the mount-I just did it. Although it would be easier I suppose. Those are the right number of hoses. I took off mine one at a time/replaced the same hose with the new one. I had my radiators off, so was trying to keep things in order. With your radiators in place, your work is simple. Enjoy-having new hoses should give us a degree of comfort not worrying about 18 year old hoses with 200K miles!
Ricky Chuck likes this.

2000 LT 207K miles
2010 RT 29K miles
post #16 of 112 Old Dec 19th, 2018, 8:49 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
the smaller diameter hose can be put on without removing the mount-I just did it. Although it would be easier I suppose. Those are the right number of hoses. I took off mine one at a time/replaced the same hose with the new one. I had my radiators off, so was trying to keep things in order. With your radiators in place, your work is simple. Enjoy-having new hoses should give us a degree of comfort not worrying about 18 year old hoses with 200K miles!
I ordered mine yesterday. I found a place that had gray hoses which would look good with my Gray LT, but that seller showed as no longer having them when I checked yesterday. So, I went with the seller that had blue offered, but he had a note to leave a comment if you wanted another color and he showed a palette wth many colors, but gray was not one of them. So, I placed the order including a comment that I would prefer gray if available, but will accept blue. So, I expect I will get blue!

I am still debating on the fuel hose. Need to pull one off to measure the size. I was thinking the Jiff-Tites I bought we 1/4Ē, but I just donít remember as that was a decade ago. I think the quarter inch fuel hose still shows a minimum bend radius of something like 2.5Ē which is pretty tight for the LT. I am less worried about the hose than I am the fuel rail. I think it is plastic and putting a lot of strain on the fuel hose nipples may not be a good thing. Do you recall if you had to use much force to install your fuel hose?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #17 of 112 Old Dec 19th, 2018, 8:59 am

It was not an issue for me. My son has an 99LT, and we often work on the bikes side by side doing these kind of things-great bonding time, and he's smarter than I am

I wish I had taken pictures two weeks ago while it was all open to show you my new lines (now 4 years old) on the fuel rail. Not an issue for bending at all. I'm sure I took the original line to NAPA and matched it with what they had.

You're wise, doing all sorts of stuff while it is open. I just finished a lot of work, hoping to get a few more rides in this year, but the weather, (and now lots of salt has already been dumped) has made that not a good idea.

Dave

2000 LT 207K miles
2010 RT 29K miles
post #18 of 112 Old Dec 19th, 2018, 10:32 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
multi fuel and bi compatible carb Q-09-019A 4219BF EPA compliant 15 grams m2/day
EGTSPLINEEBF1

Those are the best I can read off the fuel hose that I used. There is no diameter on the hose that I can find. I still have about 2' that I keep in the bike for emergency-although I am not looking forward to needing it!

Wish I could do better. I remember getting the fuel hose that could be used submersed. I think it was high pressure.
It appears you have the Gates Barricade hose which I believe is pretty good stuff. I have always had good luck with Gates products in the past. The only concern is the 2.56Ē MBR. I believe the rear hose coming off the fuel rail is a tighter bend that than with the stock hose, but maybe it can be left a little larger and not hit the side fairing. I will have to take a closer look. Did you tie wrap your hose or just install it and let it find its own radius? I donít want to impart too much bending stress on the fuel rail nipple and risk it breaking at some point down the road.

https://www.gates.com/us/en/fluid-po...0014/v/1111087
Ricky Chuck likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #19 of 112 Old Dec 19th, 2018, 11:54 am

I don't remember it being too tight. But honestly it was a few years ago. I'm sure we would have been concerned if we saw a sharp bend that looked like it would kink. Sorry, I wish I had a photo for you. But I had the whole thing torn down twice figuring out this radiator/leak/overheating issue.
Dave 262-893-6006

2000 LT 207K miles
2010 RT 29K miles
post #20 of 112 Old Dec 19th, 2018, 12:02 pm

Quote:

I am still debating on the fuel hose. Need to pull one off to measure the size. I was thinking the Jiff-Tites I bought we 1/4Ē, but I just donít remember as that was a decade ago. I think the quarter inch fuel hose still shows a minimum bend radius of something like 2.5Ē which is pretty tight for the LT. I am less worried about the hose than I am the fuel rail. I think it is plastic and putting a lot of strain on the fuel hose nipples may not be a good thing. Do you recall if you had to use much force to install your fuel hose?
By the way, all the fuel "delivery / return" hoses (inside or outside the tank) are 5/16 on a K1200RS/LT. Only exception(s) are the small 2 vent hoses that are inside tank on the K1200RS - these are submersed into fuel but are much small diameter (these go from fuel cap assy to lower pump flange).

Closest metric size (to 5/16) that will match perfectly is 8 mm inside diameter hoses.
Voyager likes this.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #21 of 112 Old Dec 19th, 2018, 12:07 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
It appears you have the Gates Barricade hose which I believe is pretty good stuff. I have always had good luck with Gates products in the past. The only concern is the 2.56Ē MBR. I believe the rear hose coming off the fuel rail is a tighter bend that than with the stock hose, but maybe it can be left a little larger and not hit the side fairing. I will have to take a closer look. Did you tie wrap your hose or just install it and let it find its own radius? I donít want to impart too much bending stress on the fuel rail nipple and risk it breaking at some point down the road.

https://www.gates.com/us/en/fluid-po...0014/v/1111087
I stopped by the dealership this morning and for the two small hoses and two longer ones plus 8 clamps it was 302 bucks, lol. I believe I am going to follow Dave's advice . Thanks for the tip on the small one I am going to drain and start today...or maybe start on the throttle cables which appears to be the mind-bender, lol. Right now I feel the need for some mango habanero salsa and tamales for lunch to compensate for donating blood, lol.

With regard to the MBR, does anyone recall the total lengths they used for the hose parts to allow for no kinking? If I got to NAPA or OReilly's with the Barricade link I need to know how much to get, thanks.

post #22 of 112 Old Dec 19th, 2018, 2:35 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Well I went to O'Reillys and they didn't have the exact match for the link but they had some other hose with exact specs and cost more, lol, so I got ten feet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fuel line.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	543.9 KB
ID:	148953  

post #23 of 112 Old Dec 19th, 2018, 2:38 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
By the way, all the fuel "delivery / return" hoses (inside or outside the tank) are 5/16 on a K1200RS/LT. Only exception(s) are the small 2 vent hoses that are inside tank on the K1200RS - these are submersed into fuel but are much small diameter (these go from fuel cap assy to lower pump flange).

Closest metric size (to 5/16) that will match perfectly is 8 mm inside diameter hoses.
SON OF A BISCUIT EATER! I went by the specs on the Gates link posted...

post #24 of 112 Old Dec 19th, 2018, 3:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I don't remember it being too tight. But honestly it was a few years ago. I'm sure we would have been concerned if we saw a sharp bend that looked like it would kink. Sorry, I wish I had a photo for you. But I had the whole thing torn down twice figuring out this radiator/leak/overheating issue.
Dave 262-893-6006
You mean you donít want to tear your LT apart again to take pictures for me?

I appreciate just knowing that you have had success with off th shelf hose. I may be overly paranoid, but I am heading to Alaska in May and donít want to do too much experimentation in preparation for that trip into the wilderness.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #25 of 112 Old Dec 19th, 2018, 3:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post

Thanks, Sailor. I was going on memory and guessing it was 1/4Ē, but I have not yet pulled a hose to check. I still need to pull the hoses off to check for total length needed for the external hoses. I am going all nylon on the inside. I would like to get PTFE hoses for the outside, but all I can find is aircraft grade hose meant for use with the screw on or crimped on threaded connectors. I have yet to find a PTFE hose that will work tight standard clamp style fittings.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #26 of 112 Old Dec 19th, 2018, 4:09 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Thanks, Sailor. I was going on memory and guessing it was 1/4”, but I have not yet pulled a hose to check. I still need to pull the hoses off to check for total length needed for the external hoses. I am going all nylon on the inside. I would like to get PTFE hoses for the outside, but all I can find is aircraft grade hose meant for use with the screw on or crimped on threaded connectors. I have yet to find a PTFE hose that will work tight standard clamp style fittings.
I posted a pic of the hose you can get but apparently make sure it is 5/16s

Just went out and measured behind the QD...old hose but a bit over 8mm. Guess I will go find some bigger hose, looks like ten feet of garage sale item (laughing)

Last edited by Ricky Chuck; Dec 19th, 2018 at 4:29 pm.
post #27 of 112 Old Dec 19th, 2018, 5:38 pm

Quote:
Thanks, Sailor. I was going on memory and guessing it was 1/4Ē, but I have not yet pulled a hose to check. I still need to pull the hoses off to check for total length needed for the external hoses. I am going all nylon on the inside. I would like to get PTFE hoses for the outside, but all I can find is aircraft grade hose meant for use with the screw on or crimped on threaded connectors. I have yet to find a PTFE hose that will work tight standard clamp style fittings.
In the past, I have taken 3 measurements:
- both internal short hoses (near fuel filter)
- the inlet / outlet of MAHLE fuel-filter
- and also the external metal quick-connectors as sold by EuroMoto and Beemerboneyard.

Although BMW does not give Inside-Diameter spec in parts fiche for these internal or external fuel hoses, a way to confirm / double-check this in future is to look at 2 references:
1) Metal quick connectors sold by BeemerBoneyard are defined in description as 5/16: https://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdiscon.html

2) Inlet and Outlet specs for the MAHLE Fuel-filter is also spec at 5/16: https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/Fu...f-859kl145.htm

John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #28 of 112 Old Dec 19th, 2018, 5:50 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Yeah they swapped out the hose for 5/16 so only some psychic pain, lol.
Voyager likes this.

post #29 of 112 Old Dec 19th, 2018, 9:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Yeah they swapped out the hose for 5/16 so only some psychic pain, lol.
You are ahead of me, so if you think off it, please take and post some pictures of your nearly installed fuel hoses.
Ricky Chuck likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #30 of 112 Old Dec 19th, 2018, 9:20 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
You are ahead of me, so if you think off it, please take and post some pictures of your nearly installed fuel hoses.
I was going to wear my 10C but that would show the Tim Allen version of the job, lol, so will take pics as I start . I am more concerned about the throttle job, it looks very close in there and my hands aren't that dainty.

post #31 of 112 Old Dec 20th, 2018, 1:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I was going to wear my 10C but that would show the Tim Allen version of the job, lol, so will take pics as I start . I am more concerned about the throttle job, it looks very close in there and my hands aren't that dainty.
Yes, that is a challenge. My hands arenít linebacker size, but they arenít petite either. I spent the better part of 3 hours getting my throttle body installed and getting the throttle cables and cruise cable attached and getting the clamps position properly so as to avoid interference. Unfortunately, it appears I will have to remove the fuel rail in order to get to the peroperly positioned clamps so as to release the airbox. I was hoping I could just remove the airbox to change the fuel hoses as the airbox blocks the one clamp, but I guess removing the fuel rail isnít a big deal and will likely make the hose swap even easier.

My only advice in regard to the TBI is to get a good set of small picks/hooks if you donít already have them. I am not sure I could have gotten everything re-attached otherwise. One cable, I think it was the cruise, was a particular PITA.

And make doubly sure that the clamps are positioned where they canít catch the throttle mechanism and hold it open. That could be a bad day. I would open and release the throttle many times to ensure clearance and that it snaps closed smartly. The throttle cable routing matters in this regard also. I donít have pics handy, but the cables need to run inside and outside of certain other parts in order to operate smoothly.
Ricky Chuck likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #32 of 112 Old Dec 20th, 2018, 8:59 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I have always found it much easier to remove the TB to remove and install the cables. Just makes holding the butterflies open to get the cable ends into the pulleys.

Routing is key, the opener cable (green mark) is routed to the outside (in the clips on the fan shroud) as they go up away from the TBs and opener goes under the fuel rail while the closer (white mark) goes over the fuel rail.
Ricky Chuck likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #33 of 112 Old Dec 25th, 2018, 1:42 pm Thread Starter

Garage

After reading this I have decided to kick it on down the road until we get back from Albuquerque on New Year's day, lol. Got the coolant removed but I have to pack for leaving in the morning and plus if anyone breaks into the garage they will see a bike that was obviously salvaged from running over an IED, lol. Merry Christmas to all and thanks for the final pieces of information, I will buckle down and work on it in 2019!

post #34 of 112 Old Dec 25th, 2018, 2:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
After reading this I have decided to kick it on down the road until we get back from Albuquerque on New Year's day, lol. Got the coolant removed but I have to pack for leaving in the morning and plus if anyone breaks into the garage they will see a bike that was obviously salvaged from running over an IED, lol. Merry Christmas to all and thanks for the final pieces of information, I will buckle down and work on it in 2019!
I know the feeling. My coolant hoses haven’t arrived yet, but I was planning to use this week to get the valves checked so I could get any needed buckets on order and get the fuel hoses measured so I can buy fuel line. But I caught a cold last Friday and have been dragging my butt a little since then.

Given that at least one forum member has had success with non-formed hoses, I am going to risk the money and give it a try before spending $200 bucks on BMW hoses. I think the Gates hose is $6/foot at NAPA and I suspect 6’ will be enough, but need to measure first, so $40 or so is worth the risk of giving it a go. I can always fall back to the BMW OEM if the bends seem too tight or are putting too much stress on the fuel rail, which I think is plastic. The other option is buying a few brass 90s. I can get them for a couple bucks a piece and I figure two on the fuel rail side might do the trick to make the tight bend without resorting to the $200 formed hoses. The only downside is that introduces 4 more clamps to risk leaking, but with the QDs, there are already 4 places to leak so what’s 4 more?

My only concern is the weight of the brass elbows cantilevered on the fuel rail nipples, but they are pretty light and I think the force of their weight will be less than that of a tightly bent 5/16” fuel line, but that remains to be seen. Will try just the hose first and only use the elbows as a last resort.
sailor and Ricky Chuck like this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Last edited by Voyager; Dec 26th, 2018 at 10:14 am.
post #35 of 112 Old Jan 7th, 2019, 7:07 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Hey all, starting in again on the remaining tasks. I got the fan shroud off so it looks like the fuel hoses are doable, however those throttle cable tips go wayyy back in there, lol. I need to read over some instructions again to visualize. Assuming there is a cable tip that drops into a slot somewhere but it looks like all those little hoses need to get out of the way, that may be the TB removal we are talking about. Whew.

post #36 of 112 Old Jan 7th, 2019, 7:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Hey all, starting in again on the remaining tasks. I got the fan shroud off so it looks like the fuel hoses are doable, however those throttle cable tips go wayyy back in there, lol. I need to read over some instructions again to visualize. Assuming there is a cable tip that drops into a slot somewhere but it looks like all those little hoses need to get out of the way, that may be the TB removal we are talking about. Whew.
Having put my TBs back on before I re-attached my throttle and cruise control cables, I have to side with John to do the cables with the TB assembly off. If you do it with the TB in place, make sure you have a good set of small hooked picks...

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #37 of 112 Old Jan 8th, 2019, 8:22 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

It also helps to pull the two screws on each of the plates that hold the cables. Give you tons of cable length to work with and allows access to the two clamps in the middle on the air box. They should face front.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CIMG5896.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	309.2 KB
ID:	149273   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG5897.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	149275   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG5898.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	149277  
Ricky Chuck likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #38 of 112 Old Jan 8th, 2019, 12:30 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
It also helps to pull the two screws on each of the plates that hold the cables. Give you tons of cable length to work with and allows access to the two clamps in the middle on the air box. They should face front.
Wow not sure I want to face going that deep, I guess I was thinking of just getting the rail out of the way. It looks to me like both throttle cables attach to the same throttle cam, one is visible at top and the other must attach somewhere behind the visible portion and in fact with a flashlight I think I see slot on down the other side? Do you guys just attach the visible one first then rotate it until the other one comes into view? Sill need to read over some instructions because I think I recall someone actually fastening the other side first but maybe not. Also, the airbox...that is major surgery from appearances, on mine the two cables are friction fastened onto some rubber holders and then they go on in front of the airbox area. You are saying they are clamped off up in there above the top coolant hose?

I also see the cruise cable going in closer to the front, wondering if I need to loosen that to allow moving of the throttle bodies?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cable-ends.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	149293  

Last edited by Ricky Chuck; Jan 8th, 2019 at 12:41 pm.
post #39 of 112 Old Jan 26th, 2019, 2:36 pm Thread Starter

Garage
(Skids into the thread, shoes smoking) Back!

Wow! Been a hectic new year, lol...BUT I pulled the airbox today leading up to the throttle cables replacement and suddenly things look doable, lol. The tbodies even don't look too bad. I know some of you guys suggest replacing the rubber hoses but they really don't look cracked upon casual examination, even the rubber lines going into the tbodies don't look too bad, although if there is a kit for those I could go for it. Assuming I get the fuel lines replaced underneath and I don't see any obvious seepage anywhere I am tempted to start back the other way once the throttle cables are on. I should look at the spark plugs and cables but I REALLY want to ride this thing, lol.

Update: I tried finding some oem hose clamps for the two front ones that came loose by using a flat screwdriver but I cant figure out how make them hold again, they must have bent or something. Ordered two from the shop but they are in California so next week. I have some worm-gear clamps the right size but they are wider so they dont press down inside the clamp groove around the hose. Has anyone put the original narrow ones back on the then put the work-gear clamp over them and tightened up a bit...or just used a wider clamp?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tbodies.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	149537  

Last edited by Ricky Chuck; Jan 26th, 2019 at 5:54 pm.
post #40 of 112 Old Jan 26th, 2019, 6:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: (Skids into the thread, shoes smoking) Back!

Quote:
Wow! Been a hectic new year, lol...BUT I pulled the airbox today leading up to the throttle cables replacement and suddenly things look doable, lol. The tbodies even don't look too bad. I know some of you guys suggest replacing the rubber hoses but they really don't look cracked upon casual examination, even the rubber lines going into the tbodies don't look too bad, although if there is a kit for those I could go for it. Assuming I get the fuel lines replaced underneath and I don't see any obvious seepage anywhere I am tempted to start back the other way once the throttle cables are on. I should look at the spark plugs and cables but I REALLY want to ride this thing, lol.

Update: I tried finding some oem hose clamps for the two front ones that came loose by using a flat screwdriver but I cant figure out how make them hold again, they must have bent or something. Ordered two from the shop but they are in California so next week. I have some worm-gear clamps the right size but they are wider so they dont press down inside the clamp groove around the hose. Has anyone put the original narrow ones back on the then put the work-gear clamp over them and tightened up a bit...or just used a wider clamp?
I bought the narrow screw clamps from BMW. A little pricey, but they fit and work well as long as you orient them to avoid interference with the throttle mechanism.
Ricky Chuck likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #41 of 112 Old Jan 26th, 2019, 6:24 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Re: (Skids into the thread, shoes smoking) Back!

Quote:
I bought the narrow screw clamps from BMW. A little pricey, but they fit and work well as long as you orient them to avoid interference with the throttle mechanism.
Yeah I guess i will just wait for them to get in but I am SO close now, lol. Will go ahead and finish the cable upgrade and putter around until they get here.
kbob12 likes this.

post #42 of 112 Old Jan 27th, 2019, 12:00 am Thread Starter

Garage

Ok I got the new cable pieces, or the piece that holds the cable barrels at least, mounted, now I am going to go down and do the process at the TB because I read it gives more leeway to have the cables lying out straight while doing that and then thread them up.

Anyway, something that brought me up a little short using the pictorial by Dave Nicks...is the slot to be dremeled in the lower cover to reduce stress on the cables. My cover doesn't look like his, assuming his is newer, or do I still put the slot at the base of the curve? I may have seen another pic of this done and it was down further through solid plastic. Going to try to find that post in the meantime but now time for some snoozing, lol. Thanks for any suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lower cover.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	245.6 KB
ID:	149541  

post #43 of 112 Old Jan 27th, 2019, 12:35 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Ok I got the new cable pieces, or the piece that holds the cable barrels at least, mounted, now I am going to go down and do the process at the TB because I read it gives more leeway to have the cables lying out straight while doing that and then thread them up.

Anyway, something that brought me up a little short using the pictorial by Dave Nicks...is the slot to be dremeled in the lower cover to reduce stress on the cables. My cover doesn't look like his, assuming his is newer, or do I still put the slot at the base of the curve? I may have seen another pic of this done and it was down further through solid plastic. Going to try to find that post in the meantime but now time for some snoozing, lol. Thanks for any suggestions.
There are many photos available... here are few. It certainly makes a big difference when you get it together. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 2.51.45 PM.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	149543   Click image for larger version

Name:	UpdatedCableRouting.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	149545   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 2.52.19 PM.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	149547  
Ricky Chuck likes this.

Bob
Covina, CA
2000 K1200LTI Champagne

post #44 of 112 Old Jan 27th, 2019, 1:51 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbob12 View Post
There are many photos available... here are few. It certainly makes a big difference when you get it together. Good luck!
I think the 2nd and 3rd one look like mine, although perhaps the first one is just a bad angle that makes it look wider than mine where it dips. Ok so I did have the printout with the second one that talks about the hole being under the swedged part of the brake lines, looks doable...tomorrow . Thanks.
kbob12 likes this.

post #45 of 112 Old Jan 27th, 2019, 6:59 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Hi guys, well I am in the 'home stretch" as my instructions call it , about to hook up the grip-end cables. The lower piece which has the two screws holding it and into which the cable flat ends slot (with barrels and wire in the two positions on the piece that turns with the grip) is mounted.

The handgrip has the two cables attached however they are off-center because I haven't twisted the grip and had it go up until the cables are aligned. However, when I do that the grip no longer turns, it is locked. I have to pull it back out for it to open and close. Is that correct or what am I missing? The lower pieces are attached to the TB but I still need to straighten out the path and hook the lower cable into the metal eye but the grip definitely no longer moves when I get it to move closer to the first piece. Everything looks exactly like the pictures in the below link except I haven't snapped on the 2nd piece of the new kit.

I also haven't mounted the rest of the electronic pieces with the switches to the handlebar, no sure if this will do something to free up the grip or not...

https://plus.google.com/photos/10984...15458005405426

post #46 of 112 Old Jan 28th, 2019, 8:37 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Hi guys, well I am in the 'home stretch" as my instructions call it , about to hook up the grip-end cables. The lower piece which has the two screws holding it and into which the cable flat ends slot (with barrels and wire in the two positions on the piece that turns with the grip) is mounted.

The handgrip has the two cables attached however they are off-center because I haven't twisted the grip and had it go up until the cables are aligned. However, when I do that the grip no longer turns, it is locked. I have to pull it back out for it to open and close. Is that correct or what am I missing? The lower pieces are attached to the TB but I still need to straighten out the path and hook the lower cable into the metal eye but the grip definitely no longer moves when I get it to move closer to the first piece. Everything looks exactly like the pictures in the below link except I haven't snapped on the 2nd piece of the new kit.

I also haven't mounted the rest of the electronic pieces with the switches to the handlebar, no sure if this will do something to free up the grip or not...

https://plus.google.com/photos/10984...15458005405426

This is my first time ever to work on throttle cables, is this grip not moving normal until I put on the rest of the gear?

post #47 of 112 Old Jan 28th, 2019, 11:01 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
This is my first time ever to work on throttle cables, is this grip not moving normal until I put on the rest of the gear?
Hi Ricky Chuck--there shouldn't be any stickiness in the cable pull before putting it all back together... it sounds like something may not be routed exactly right to me. Did you leave the old cables to pull the new ones through? The cables should open and close freely from the get go.

I took a couple photos of my bottom handlebar cover to show where I cut the new routing hole for the cables.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5214.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	149569   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5211.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	149571   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5215.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	149573  
Ricky Chuck likes this.

Bob
Covina, CA
2000 K1200LTI Champagne

post #48 of 112 Old Jan 28th, 2019, 11:41 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbob12 View Post
Hi Ricky Chuck--there shouldn't be any stickiness in the cable pull before putting it all back together... it sounds like something may not be routed exactly right to me. Did you leave the old cables to pull the new ones through? The cables should open and close freely from the get go.

I took a couple photos of my bottom handlebar cover to show where I cut the new routing hole for the cables.
Hey! Well you know how you slide the handgrip back so it can freely turn in order to get the screws out, etc, I did all this and felt like I followed instructions to the letter. So now that the cables are mounted and the first updated piece is mounted it looks like I have to move the handgrip back up toward it in order for the 2nd piece to snap in correctly and cover the cables. Trouble is i have to turn the grip for it to find the slot and when it pops up closer then it no longer turns, just jiggles a bit. Here is a video of what is happening

post #49 of 112 Old Jan 28th, 2019, 12:08 pm Thread Starter

Garage

When I turn the handgrip the little horisontal piece that goes through the first piece of kit just pops into the slot like it is supposed to I assume but then it won't move from that position. I can see where it should follow the groove around and back but something is preventing it from sliding through the groove, maybe i injured it when I cut the old piece loose, although it doesn't look injured.

post #50 of 112 Old Jan 28th, 2019, 12:09 pm

ZDid you route the cables as shown in this attachment?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Throttle_Cable.pdf (385.8 KB, 13 views)
Ricky Chuck and kbob12 like this.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in