6Likes
  • 2 Post By Voyager
  • 2 Post By fatbob307
  • 1 Post By djmellor
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Dec 9th, 2018, 4:16 pm Thread Starter

2004 K1200LT

Looking at a 2004 K1200LT WB10555AO4ZD80819. What should I be concerned about, it has over 66000 miles, owner says it needs nothing. Guidance appreciated, I am looking for an affordable long distance one up touring machine.... Owner asking $4700

Last edited by Geoff1200; Dec 9th, 2018 at 4:17 pm. Reason: oops
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Dec 9th, 2018, 6:50 pm

Re: 2004 K1200LT

Welcome, You've come to the best forum for information on the bike. Seems like a decent (not great) price. But like you will find out-it's the condition and the maintenance that has been done on a 14 year old bike that will depend on what you really will get if you buy it.

You can search on this site for all sorts of help, and I would start with a google search BMW Northern IL motorcycle club/Kirk Johnson. His videos are the absolute best for this bike, and he's a great guy. There is one video that deals with exactly where you are in looking at a used bike. He goes step by step what you should be looking for.

As for the bike itself, 66K miles is nothing, don't worry about it. There are loads of folks with bikes many times that.

Use the search a lot to save you time on any subject.

Keep us posted

2000 LT 207K miles
2010 RT 29K miles
2007 RT P 42,000 miles SOLD
1982 vision 550 Yamaha SOLD
1964 Vespa 175 w/sidecar (homemade by neighbor) SOLD
1966 Honda CL77 (2016-17 winter project) As of August 16, the Honda is running! First time in 42 years. Going to be a sweet little around town bike. SOLD,
Four corner SCMA ride 2013
All Yooper SS1000K, 6/17/17
48 state/12 day ride 2016
Great Lakes Challenge, 2011
2018 Fall Classic SS1000 Four-Corners
post #3 of 12 Old Dec 9th, 2018, 8:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff1200 View Post
Looking at a 2004 K1200LT WB10555AO4ZD80819. What should I be concerned about, it has over 66000 miles, owner says it needs nothing. Guidance appreciated, I am looking for an affordable long distance one up touring machine.... Owner asking $4700
The owner is lying. Every LT needs something ALL of the time.

The LT is definitely a long distance touring machine, but in all honesty if I was a solo tourer, I would get a smaller and lighter bike such as an RT or K1600 GT. You may not find a used K1600 for $4,700, but you almost certainly can find used RTs for that price. I would also consider a Yamaha FJR, but they have only had cruise control for a few years and I consider cruise mandatory for long distance riding. So, they may push the FJR above your budget, although you may be able to find some first year cruise models for close to $5,000.

Having said that, if you are handy with a wrench and enjoy working on a complex bike, then offer the owner $4000 and add the $700 to your maintenance budget.

First maintenance item to buy is a Clymer manual.
radar41 and davebullock like this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old Dec 10th, 2018, 11:53 am

Voyager is right on the money with his advice. That bike needs new: brake lines, fuel hoses, coolant hoses, FD pivot bearings, throttle cables, clutch slave cylinder, crankcase vent hose, that oughta do it. If you do this work yourself it will run $1,500.00 in parts. If a dealer does it it would cost $3,000.00 or more. The above items will get you 50K + miles of relatively low maintenance touring!
radar41 and Voyager like this.
post #5 of 12 Old Dec 10th, 2018, 12:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbob307 View Post
Voyager is right on the money with his advice. That bike needs new: brake lines, fuel hoses, coolant hoses, FD pivot bearings, throttle cables, clutch slave cylinder, crankcase vent hose, that oughta do it. If you do this work yourself it will run $1,500.00 in parts. If a dealer does it it would cost $3,000.00 or more. The above items will get you 50K + miles of relatively low maintenance touring!
True, assuming there isn’t a leak from the output shaft o-ring, or seal or clutch slave cylinder or transmission input shaft (my particular problem) that takes out the clutch. Then it is another $800 or so in parts or $2,500 at the dealer.

It would be nice to know the maintenance history and whether the clutch has been replaced and all relevant seals in that area. If not, I would definitely try a few 5th gear roll-ons to test for clutch slippage.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old Dec 10th, 2018, 12:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
True, assuming there isn’t a leak from the output shaft o-ring, or seal or clutch slave cylinder or transmission input shaft (my particular problem) that takes out the clutch. Then it is another $800 or so in parts or $2,500 at the dealer.

It would be nice to know the maintenance history and whether the clutch has been replaced and all relevant seals in that area. If not, I would definitely try a few 5th gear roll-ons to test for clutch slippage.
Echoing the others, from my experience, if the brake lines haven't been replaced, they are due to fail. Not a huge problem to fix. Still a puzzlement why BMW used rubber lines. Stainless replacements are cheaper than BMW original.
Voyager likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old Dec 10th, 2018, 2:05 pm

Echoing what has been said already. The service history on an LT is of paramount interest as there is a list of things that are of concern and if already repaired properly, should all be in the PLUS column. If not, they are in the MINUS column as they will need to be addressed most likely sooner rather than later but every bike is different due to riding style and environment. The mileage is of little concern unless the oil has never been changed Any oil around the mating surfaces of the transmission and bellhousing and engine is a minus.

Major items of concern would be brake lines, final drive from failed crown bearing, clutch due to seal failure and contamination and fuel lines inside the gas tank and the male portion of the fuel quick disconnects if still plastic and not metal.

Look for upgrades like shocks, windscreen, seats and lighting, rear floor boards. Check the top case latch as they are pot metal and they do fail. No one is currently making a replacement so it would be a new top case from the dealer or ebay and then you are subject to it failing again as there have been no improvements. Check the top left and right corners for signs of metal fatigue. Pressing down on the top as you open and close to relieve some strain on the latch is a good idea.

They are fantastic bikes to ride and once you get past the major items should they fail, are fairly reliable although as Voyager mentioned, a complex bike. If you are decent at wrenching, you can keep costs down but all know, a trip to the dealer on an LT can easily go into the quad digits for some of those repairs. I have owned mine for 5 years and although none of those had failed, I have bigger plans eventually so I have just gone through all the items and done those repairs making the recommended upgrades to parts along the way. I had the time and money and like the bike enough to have just done it on principal. I can't say it wouldn't die along the way as stuff happens but I would get on mine and go anywhere and not think twice about one of those systems failing along the way at this point. That is a good feeling so service history and receipts if the owner did the repairs is important.

If you are close to someone who is already an LT owner who could go look it over with you, that would be a benefit. Maybe someone around Jax will pipe up and offer.

Good luck
Voyager likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #8 of 12 Old Dec 12th, 2018, 10:29 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the stellar feedback! Very informative
post #9 of 12 Old Dec 12th, 2018, 10:59 am
Old Dawg

Too bad you are on the wrong coast, I am starting to ponder selling my 2005 LT with 33K miles for $5500 (and the brake lines were just recently replaced )

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #10 of 12 Old Dec 14th, 2018, 12:20 pm

Garage

Coming from personal experience, I would be concerned with the ABS module. I believe the LT's ABS is nearly identical to the RS's ABS, which I have, and if that module goes out you're screwed. No one that I've found rebuilds it so you're either paying almost as much as you paid for the bike to replace it or tearing it out and going with standard brakes. That said, I love riding my RS and everything else has been solid, but right not I'm kind of stuck with a bike that has questionable brakes that I can't sell and can't trade in.
post #11 of 12 Old Dec 19th, 2018, 1:05 pm

Garage

Hi all, new to the forum and new to BMW - former Honda guy.

Been riding for 50 years(started at 8). Just bought a 2004 K with 29K miles on it. Immaculate condition, no leaks, never seen weather, came with two Sena bluetooth helmets, passenger floorboards, fork mounted leds, rider back rest, chrome trailer hitch, upgraded windshield, upgraded rear rotor(cowbell), new tires.

Runs and rides like a dream. I paid $5,200.

I plan to upgrade very soon to Spiegler braided brake lines, metal fuel disconnects and LED headlights.

Can't wait for Spring.

Be safe.
post #12 of 12 Old Dec 19th, 2018, 3:30 pm

Cool Re: 2004 K1200LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa6bmw View Post
Hi all, new to the forum and new to BMW - former Honda guy.

Been riding for 50 years(started at 8). Just bought a 2004 K with 29K miles on it. Immaculate condition, no leaks, never seen weather, came with two Sena bluetooth helmets, passenger floorboards, fork mounted leds, rider back rest, chrome trailer hitch, upgraded windshield, upgraded rear rotor(cowbell), new tires.

Runs and rides like a dream. I paid $5,200.

I plan to upgrade very soon to Spiegler braided brake lines, metal fuel disconnects and LED headlights.

Can't wait for Spring.

Be safe.
Sounds like a good one! Welcome to the KLT club. Too bad you're not in SoCal. We ride all year round. Meanwhile, you can read about all the tricks, gadgets, upgrades, and headaches people have had w/ your bike. With luck, you'll have no headaches until you're well familiar with your new ride.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in