4Likes
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 2 Post By Voyager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Dec 8th, 2018, 4:31 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

External fuel lines

I am buying parts for my 74,000 mile maintenance (OK, a couple thousand miles past the official 72,000 mile point. ). I am debating whether to replace the external fuel lines. Mine were in great shape two years ago at the 54,000 mile point, but now at 11 years of age and 74,000 miles I am pondering. I am trying to remember how hard they were to get to and was thinking it would require removing at least the air box and possibly the throttle bodies.

Two questions for y’all:

1. Has anyone ever had an external fuel line fail? If so, what age and mileage? I am going to replace the in-tank lines with the BBY nylon parts so that should take care of that failure point.

2. Can someone who has replaced these lines recently tell me how big a PITA it was? I will have the tupperware and gas tank off, but didn’t plan to go farther unless I really have to.

Edit: Let me add another question. I am having the same debate in regards to radiator hoses. I have had cars go 12-20 years on the OEM hoses, but I am wondering if anyone has actually had an LT radiator hose fail? I am thinking about the ebay silicon hoses, but not really seeing a need to replace perfectly serviceable hoses especially given that I don’t need to change my coolant this year.
Ricky Chuck likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Voyager; Dec 8th, 2018 at 4:37 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Dec 8th, 2018, 4:52 pm

Re: External fuel lines

Matt, I know of one instance of a fuel line failing internally and blocking fuel flow. I replaced my lines at the same time I did my injectors because I had the fuel rail off. I snaked them through without much more disassembly so it is possible. I got the hold down clamp fuel rail side back on upside down and it was hitting the throttle body causing a hang in the throttle so I had to take it apart again and flip it over. I did mine with line rated for ethanol to remove one more point of degradation due to it. Even if the OEM lines were tolerant, I did it anyways. I bought more line than I needed which made snaking easier and then cut it to length afterwards. It is cheap enough to not worry too much about any waste. The submersible line is a different story

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old Dec 8th, 2018, 10:48 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I am replacing mine when I remove the cylinder head. I had damaged the feed hose when I removed it from my fuel rail so I thought it would be prudent to replace it since I had cut an inch off when I put it back on. They are not cheap but I got mine from Hermy's with their 20% off deal.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #4 of 19 Old Dec 9th, 2018, 7:01 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
I am replacing mine when I remove the cylinder head. I had damaged the feed hose when I removed it from my fuel rail so I thought it would be prudent to replace it since I had cut an inch off when I put it back on. They are not cheap but I got mine from Hermy's with their 20% off deal.
That makes lots of sense as you are already in deep for a head replacement. I don’t need to go that deep for a standard 24K so I am debating if the extra effort is worth it. If I can do it with just removing the airbox, I will probably go for it. If I need to remove the TBI and fuel rail, I am not so sure. I have never ever had to replace external fuel lines in my cars and I routinely run them 12 years and my last Chevy truck ran 20 years ... on not only original fuel line, but also original front brake hoses. I did change the radiator hoses at 120,000 miles as it was easy on a truck and seemed like the thing to do, but I suspect was completely unnecessary.

The kit from BBY is fairly reasonably priced, but is not formed hose. Are the OEM parts formed? I have never seen a set off the bike.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #5 of 19 Old Dec 9th, 2018, 11:40 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Yes the OEM have the white and blue color codes, abrasion sleeves and are formed to fit rather nicely. But you could just go with plain hose and hope it doesn't kink or rub since it will not fit exactly. But they do feel very supple and soft... compared to what has been in there for 14 years.

Note I am only replacing the long hoses as they are harder to get to later on. The short ones still look pretty good and I will not mess with them now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel Hoses 1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	599.0 KB
ID:	148859  
Ricky Chuck likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #6 of 19 Old Dec 9th, 2018, 12:41 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I am buying parts for my 74,000 mile maintenance (OK, a couple thousand miles past the official 72,000 mile point. ). I am debating whether to replace the external fuel lines. Mine were in great shape two years ago at the 54,000 mile point, but now at 11 years of age and 74,000 miles I am pondering. I am trying to remember how hard they were to get to and was thinking it would require removing at least the air box and possibly the throttle bodies.

Two questions for y’all:

1. Has anyone ever had an external fuel line fail? If so, what age and mileage? I am going to replace the in-tank lines with the BBY nylon parts so that should take care of that failure point.

2. Can someone who has replaced these lines recently tell me how big a PITA it was? I will have the tupperware and gas tank off, but didn’t plan to go farther unless I really have to.

Edit: Let me add another question. I am having the same debate in regards to radiator hoses. I have had cars go 12-20 years on the OEM hoses, but I am wondering if anyone has actually had an LT radiator hose fail? I am thinking about the ebay silicon hoses, but not really seeing a need to replace perfectly serviceable hoses especially given that I don’t need to change my coolant this year.
I went through this same stuff in my head recently as most know, lol, and I drove VW TDIs for many years and their coolant hoses seemed to not show wear at all over 120k. I changed them anyway on the chance they could wear inside worse than outside. Same reasoning for these LT hoses...although 28k sounds like a very small number for wear 15 years sounds like an enormous amount of time if they never got changed before me...but make sure you get BRIGHT BLUE .

On the fuel hoses I am thinking the years factors in more than the miles, too, however it doesn't look particularly easy given the small spaces across the motor. It looks like the other end of one of them comes up and attaches below the radiator shroud on the left side but I haven't found the other one yet. Also, the 4th picture seems to show maybe the crankcase vent hose or something? I see some oily residue around it but unsure of its exact function. The clamp was a bit loose so I tightened it down some hoping it would reduce residue and possibly reduce combustion smell. I dunno, the hoses kind of look oem to me but I don't know what the numbers signify on the last pic. I just seem to keep getting potentially deeper and deeper as I wait for those consarned hoses, lol. Oh well, my wingman and my 32nd anniversary ride to the Orange Bowl to see OU try to beat Bama got put off because my f-i-l is ailing and when both wives caught a whiff of our plans, well...our minds were changed . I was reminded of the frostbite and the numerous narrow avoidings of certain death on the first trip...alright alright! Sooo, no real rush to get it running before Christmas...(mumbling)

Jzeiler, assume Hermy's is Hermy's BMW in PA? What do they get for that hose kit? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	current state.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	859.0 KB
ID:	148861   Click image for larger version

Name:	path.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	691.1 KB
ID:	148863   Click image for larger version

Name:	hose pathway.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	148865   Click image for larger version

Name:	crankcase hose.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	148867   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181209_121752.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	148869  

Oklahoma City, OK. 2003 K1200 LT. "Remember men, if the women don't find ya handsome, at least let 'em find ya handy." Red Green
post #7 of 19 Old Dec 9th, 2018, 1:03 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Yes the OEM have the white and blue color codes, abrasion sleeves and are formed to fit rather nicely. But you could just go with plain hose and hope it doesn't kink or rub since it will not fit exactly. But they do feel very supple and soft... compared to what has been in there for 14 years.

Note I am only replacing the long hoses as they are harder to get to later on. The short ones still look pretty good and I will not mess with them now.
I just checked at Max BMW and the full set of 4 OEM hoses is $201.84!!

Just the long ones is $152.40. The short ones are $24.72 each. These things should be gold plated for that kind of money.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #8 of 19 Old Dec 9th, 2018, 1:04 pm

Quote:

I had the issue of kinking with standard off the roll EFI hose so I got a steel spring, stretched it out, cut a length and inserted it inside the hose to keep it from collapsing in the bend at the QD's. Not sure how good an idea that was but it did the trick. I also made the QD side loops larger as I had plenty of hose to work with. The cost of those pre-formed hoses was too much to swallow and it may or may not be rated for ethanol. I transferred the abrasion sleeves from the old hoses.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #9 of 19 Old Dec 9th, 2018, 1:18 pm

Garage

Quote:
I just checked at Max BMW and the full set of 4 OEM hoses is $201.84!!

Just the long ones is $152.40. The short ones are $24.72 each. These things should be gold plated for that kind of money.

I wonder if putting in a couple of plastic elbows would ease the strain. I hate extra clamps but for that much money I'd mug an old lady to avoid the cost!

Oklahoma City, OK. 2003 K1200 LT. "Remember men, if the women don't find ya handsome, at least let 'em find ya handy." Red Green
post #10 of 19 Old Dec 9th, 2018, 2:04 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Hermy's has (had) a 20% off sale and free shipping. I have no grand kids to spend money on.

Ricky here is where the hoses go on the fuel rail.

Gordon, I have used springs before to keep hoses from kinking with good success.

I found this site http://motorsports.jiffy-tite.com/#/ when looking for Jiffy-Tite, looks like Oetiker bought them out but they are still available. Link is for a catalog.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fuel rail.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	282.6 KB
ID:	148871  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Last edited by jzeiler; Dec 9th, 2018 at 2:45 pm.
post #11 of 19 Old Dec 9th, 2018, 3:07 pm

Quote:
Hermy's has (had) a 20% off sale and free shipping. I have no grand kids to spend money on.

Gordon, I have used springs before to keep hoses from kinking with good success.

I found this site http://motorsports.jiffy-tite.com/#/ when looking for Jiffy-Tite, looks like Oetiker bought them out but they are still available. Link is for a catalog.
I bought the Jiffy-Tite connectors at Matt's recommendation and like them. No O-rings to carry or replace. Nice to see they are still available.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #12 of 19 Old Dec 9th, 2018, 8:30 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
I bought the Jiffy-Tite connectors at Matt's recommendation and like them. No O-rings to carry or replace. Nice to see they are still available.
I think the Jiffy-Tites are the highest quality component on my LT.

I am glad to see they are still available also. They are not packaged for the LT like they were from RPW, but I suspect we can figure out the right size to buy. I can’t remember what size they were, but we can probably figure it out when wants a set. I can’t recommend them highly enough. Mine have worked flawlessly and been maintenance-free for 10 years now.

Now if I could find a decently priced set of fuel lines. It appears from John’s picture that I can replace them with the amount of tear down I will do for a valve check. It is tempting to replace them before heading to AK next spring.
Ricky Chuck and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #13 of 19 Old Mar 9th, 2019, 7:53 am

I may have some U shaped hose that could work for the under the tank from the tank to the quick disconnects from Filler Neck Supply Co. Part No. RM133005. Do you a reason why a person cut a couldn't cut section out of this to work , the hose is 16 inches long in total length they tell me. Thanks for your opinion
post #14 of 19 Old Mar 9th, 2019, 8:00 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

I did not see the 5/16” size listed in their catalog. I believe the ones that RPW used to sell for the LT were 5/16”.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #15 of 19 Old Mar 9th, 2019, 8:06 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny65 View Post
I may have some U shaped hose that could work for the under the tank from the tank to the quick disconnects from Filler Neck Supply Co. Part No. RM133005. Do you a reason why a person cut a couldn't cut section out of this to work , the hose is 16 inches long in total length they tell me. Thanks for your opinion
That looks like a potentially good solution given you a few different bents to choose from. Even buying two of these is less than the BMW prices. Worth a try. I ended up ordering some SS 180 and 90 barbed tubes and plan to give those a try with just straight Gates hose. They were only a couple bucks a piece, but the shipping was a killer at $20. They haven’t arrived yet, but I am hoping they will work and in the future I will only have to replace straight pieces of hose.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #16 of 19 Old Mar 9th, 2019, 12:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:

Two questions for y’all:

I replaced mine since I was replacing all the rubber and plastic parts on my 2000 KLT when I purchased it. Since I was removing the intake manifolds, o-rings, and vacuum manifold, gas tank, etc., it was easy to replace the external fuel lines.

Bob
Covina, CA
2000 K1200LTI Champagne

Last edited by kbob12; Mar 9th, 2019 at 12:17 pm. Reason: Screw up I should have reread what I was typing before posting.
post #17 of 19 Old Mar 9th, 2019, 2:37 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Look what arrived today.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	300D1778-4A2E-458F-903D-5166EBF53E2B.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	717.4 KB
ID:	150291  

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #18 of 19 Old Mar 9th, 2019, 3:19 pm

Cool , but why so many ? I may just go with those also then all fuel lines inside and out are done my 1999 . A couple of extras clamps no big deal.
post #19 of 19 Old Mar 9th, 2019, 4:12 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny65 View Post
Cool , but why so many ? I may just go with those also then all fuel lines inside and out are done my 1999 . A couple of extras clamps no big deal.
$25 minimum order.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in