LT in Europe - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jan 7th, 2007, 9:56 pm Thread Starter

LT in Europe

Thinking of shipping the lt to europe for a 3 week ride any one do anything like this i rented over there before and i love it Just thinking my lt would like it also. any pro or cons are welcome jim

Jim Giordano
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 8:36 am

We have been planning a two week bike trip to Europe this year and decided to rent. Even though it is about $300 dollars cheaper to ship our bike, we decided that calling the rental company in case of a breakdown would be easier than trying to get our bike fixed in Podunk, France
post #3 of 6 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 10:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by giordiver
Thinking of shipping the lt to europe for a 3 week ride any one do anything like this i rented over there before and i love it Just thinking my lt would like it also. any pro or cons are welcome jim
Here is the opposite way:

http://finnstoccr.blogspot.com/

I could not have thought about renting a bike (a HD) as I planned to have a vacation - not a work trip.

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #4 of 6 Old Jan 17th, 2007, 1:59 pm

Ever thought of a bike swap guys,see my post a little further down the list.
No rental costs just a small charge for insurance.

Dean

Just booked a table for two for me and the wife. It was bound to end in tears though - she's crap at snooker.

Such an unfair world. When a man talks dirty to a woman its considered sexual harassment, but when a woman talks dirty to a man its £2.50/min
(charges may vary).

2005 K1200LT with ZZ Trailer (For Touring)
Piaggio X9 500ie (for running about)
post #5 of 6 Old Jan 17th, 2007, 9:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by giordiver
Hi, Jim:

I'd say that the 3-week period is barely on the borderline of being worthwhile to ship.

You will need to pay for shipping and arrange a lot of paperwork prior to trip. May need Carnet de Passage for customs - the shipping company will let you know. You will need insurance effective in EU prior to pickup there (some recommend buying through ADAC, the German Automobile Club).

The general recommendations are for airfreight (check with Lufthansa), since ocean-freight can take an undeterminate amount of time and the bike may be damaged in transit.

You'll need to prep the machine - most carriers require draining of fuel. You will need a few days leeway to pickup and get organized on other side - possibly same on return dropoff.

In comparison, I have been paying in last few years weekly rental rates from 600-1000 Euro, depending on included mileage and insurance, for R1200RT's and K1200GT's. Typically, the included mileage is 1500km, then 0.30-60 Euro per km.

Don't know off-hand about 'LT costs - these bikes are not very common in Europe for rentals. I only remember seeing LTs listed by Bosenberg for some rental stations in Switzerland.

Some of the best places to check out rental facts and costs are AdMoTours.com and Bosenberg.com - these outfits are specifically geared for American riders. I strongly recommend them, especially if you do not speak local language at rental location.

And finally, bike swap suggested by our UK colleague sounds great, too... I should look into that myself for future trips - never thought of such possibility.

Enjoy pondering your choices! Robert.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #6 of 6 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 7:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker
Hi, Jim:

I'd say that the 3-week period is barely on the borderline of being worthwhile to ship.

You will need to pay for shipping and arrange a lot of paperwork prior to trip. May need Carnet de Passage for customs - the shipping company will let you know. You will need insurance effective in EU prior to pickup there (some recommend buying through ADAC, the German Automobile Club).

The general recommendations are for airfreight (check with Lufthansa), since ocean-freight can take an undeterminate amount of time and the bike may be damaged in transit.

You'll need to prep the machine - most carriers require draining of fuel. You will need a few days leeway to pickup and get organized on other side - possibly same on return dropoff.

In comparison, I have been paying in last few years weekly rental rates from 600-1000 Euro, depending on included mileage and insurance, for R1200RT's and K1200GT's. Typically, the included mileage is 1500km, then 0.30-60 Euro per km.

Don't know off-hand about 'LT costs - these bikes are not very common in Europe for rentals. I only remember seeing LTs listed by Bosenberg for some rental stations in Switzerland.

Some of the best places to check out rental facts and costs are AdMoTours.com and Bosenberg.com - these outfits are specifically geared for American riders. I strongly recommend them, especially if you do not speak local language at rental location.

And finally, bike swap suggested by our UK colleague sounds great, too... I should look into that myself for future trips - never thought of such possibility.

Enjoy pondering your choices! Robert.
Hi guys, just some comments and facts from experience:

* Bike shipping by air freight Frankfurt - Calgary + Toronto - Frankfurt 2500 USD including a 100 USD group discount from http://www.motorcycleservices.com/ in August 2006.

* Air freighting the bike makes only sense from / to Canada. US border formalities / terrorist fobia take time and money and is big time hassle.

* Drop off the bike to air feight is 48 hours prior to bike flight. This is really not such a big deal as one might at first think. Rider can take a separate flight to destination and wait for the bike and get over the jetlag.

* Paperwork (through Motorcycle Services) is not overwhelming. They do it all the time and have routine for it.

* Bike preparation is no big deal either. Max 1 gallon of gas in the tank. Antenna off. Nothing tied on the bike. All the cases can be loaded and locked, tank bag in place.

* separate insurance is needed, I purchased my US / Canadian insurance through Motorcycle Services, perhaps they could arrange the European insurance as well, I don't know.

I am not suggesting that shipping own bike is the only way to go. It depends how much actual riding one is going to do and what kind of bike one is happy with.

I never even considered a rental option (imagine me riding a rent-a-Harley to CCR... ) so I don't know how much that costs in US / Canada. But I'm pretty sure that the 3000 USD that I spent for shipping and insurance I would have not been saving anything by riding a rental bike for 9000 km. Especially with your European price examples...

Bike swapping would be one good alternative, though.

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in