• 2 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By gtkoppmann
  • 1 Post By beech
  • 1 Post By alabrew

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Dec 5th, 2018, 5:30 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Could use more advice

It's hard to believe I've had my 2002 K1200LT over a year and I'm still trying to get it started! To be honest it hasn't been a top priority again until recently as other things were more pressing. I'll briefly bring all up to speed on my situation. Bike had sat for a number of years before I acquired it. I got some great pointers to get started and have removed fuel tank to replace the entire fuel pump assembly. I removed the quick connects from the fuel lines just to make sure they weren't plugged up. Verified fuel lines up to fuel rail are open.

As of now I can absolutely verify that the fuel pump is pressurizing the line (got a face full of gas when removing the line!). The injectors have been sent off and were cleaned/verified. There doesn't appear to be any gas on the spark plugs. I know the bike is firing as just a hint of starting fluid (I know bad idea - I only used a little just to see if it was firing) would get positive results.

So either the injectors aren't injecting or there is some other obstruction in the system. I checked the fuel rail when I removed the injectors and it seemed to be clear.

Any suggestions on how to get this beast going would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Dec 5th, 2018, 5:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Could use more advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgulfcoast View Post
It's hard to believe I've had my 2002 K1200LT over a year and I'm still trying to get it started! To be honest it hasn't been a top priority again until recently as other things were more pressing. I'll briefly bring all up to speed on my situation. Bike had sat for a number of years before I acquired it. I got some great pointers to get started and have removed fuel tank to replace the entire fuel pump assembly. I removed the quick connects from the fuel lines just to make sure they weren't plugged up. Verified fuel lines up to fuel rail are open.

As of now I can absolutely verify that the fuel pump is pressurizing the line (got a face full of gas when removing the line!). The injectors have been sent off and were cleaned/verified. There doesn't appear to be any gas on the spark plugs. I know the bike is firing as just a hint of starting fluid (I know bad idea - I only used a little just to see if it was firing) would get positive results.

So either the injectors aren't injecting or there is some other obstruction in the system. I checked the fuel rail when I removed the injectors and it seemed to be clear.

Any suggestions on how to get this beast going would be greatly appreciated.
You are sure the fuel lines are correctly connected? As I recall, the fuel pressure regulator allows fuel to pass in only one direction so if the lines from the tank are reversed when connected to the lines to the fuel rail, you will pressurize the return line, but get no fuel to the injectors. It has been a couple of years since I had my fuel system apart, but this is my recollection. I also don’t recall exactly how the fuel rail connects to the injectors, but I am wondering if you can pull one injector and see if it is getting fuel. Unless there is a valve that the injector opens when it is connected to the fuel rail. I just don’t recall the details now.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Dec 5th, 2018, 5:46 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
You are sure the fuel lines are correctly connected? As I recall, the fuel pressure regulator allows fuel to pass in only one direction so if the lines from the tank are reversed when connected to the lines to the fuel rail, you will pressurize the return line, but get no fuel to the injectors. It has been a couple of years since I had my fuel system apart, but this is my recollection. I also don’t recall exactly how the fuel rail connects to the injectors, but I am wondering if you can pull one injector and see if it is getting fuel. Unless there is a valve that the injector opens when it is connected to the fuel rail. I just don’t recall the details now.
I just printed Gordon's pic of the lines and will double check that I didn't cross the lines tomorrow. Actually that would be so sweet if that is indeed the problem! Thanks.

post #4 of 14 Old Dec 5th, 2018, 9:15 pm

Quote:
I just printed Gordon's pic of the lines and will double check that I didn't cross the lines tomorrow. Actually that would be so sweet if that is indeed the problem! Thanks.
I'm with Matt, if starting fluid gets any result then your issue is with the fuel delivery and you have taken care of everything else there so reversed fuel lines are very high on the probability list. Hope that is what it is.
Voyager likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old Dec 6th, 2018, 9:47 am Thread Starter

Garage

Y'all are the best! She's running for the first time in years! Think the quick disconnect(s) was/were plugged because I couldn't have reversed the lines before taking them out. I thought I was being so careful to make sure I got the lines back like they were but I didn't - give me my sign! What a tremendous relief to hear that motor purr. She's smoking just a little but after all this time not running I would be a little stove up too!

Now I'll be bugging everyone for the rest of the service items I know needs to be done before I can ride her very far.

Thanks again to everyone who helped.
Patric, ibbones, Voyager and 2 others like this.
post #6 of 14 Old Dec 6th, 2018, 10:08 am

Quote:
Y'all are the best! She's running for the first time in years! Think the quick disconnect(s) was/were plugged because I couldn't have reversed the lines before taking them out. I thought I was being so careful to make sure I got the lines back like they were but I didn't - give me my sign! What a tremendous relief to hear that motor purr. She's smoking just a little but after all this time not running I would be a little stove up too!

Now I'll be bugging everyone for the rest of the service items I know needs to be done before I can ride her very far.

Your next order of business would be the brake lines. If they are still OEM original, even if they look OK, they are an accident waiting to happen just when you need them most so be careful. Don't ride it like you stole it just yet

Not sure if anyone mentioned the plastic disconnects. The male portion will eventually crack and leak fuel all over so another safety related upgrade to the BBY metal ones again, if not done already.
Munmi, beech and kbob12 like this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #7 of 14 Old Dec 6th, 2018, 10:56 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Your next order of business would be the brake lines. If they are still OEM original, even if they look OK, they are an accident waiting to happen just when you need them most so be careful. Don't ride it like you stole it just yet

Not sure if anyone mentioned the plastic disconnects. The male portion will eventually crack and leak fuel all over so another safety related upgrade to the BBY metal ones again, if not done already.
Yes, get metal ones and reverse them on each line so that it isn’t possible to connect them backwards. I prefer the Jiffy-tires over the BBY style, but I think the Jiffy-Tites may no longer be available as I think the owner of RPW retired and it appears the business closed with his retirement.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #8 of 14 Old Dec 6th, 2018, 10:56 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:

Understand completely. Rear is locked up at the moment and I'm getting ABS failure warning light. I hear the servo running when the key is turned on but I won't be surprised if it's toast since the fluid hasn't been changed in who knows how long.
post #9 of 14 Old Dec 6th, 2018, 11:57 am

Quote:
Understand completely. Rear is locked up at the moment and I'm getting ABS failure warning light. I hear the servo running when the key is turned on but I won't be surprised if it's toast since the fluid hasn't been changed in who knows how long.
Well, we don't have to worry about you riding too far yet then

Look for a rock or some debris causing the rear pedal to be held in the depressed position engaging the servo motor. Also, check the switch on the rear pedal for being stuck or mis-adjusted. I know the rock thing sounds as likely as hitting a deer on a clear day with open highway but i have read several stories about it happening.

Did you notice any mouse or rat lodgings when you had the tank off? possible chewed wires.
beech likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #10 of 14 Old Dec 6th, 2018, 5:40 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Well, we don't have to worry about you riding too far yet then

Look for a rock or some debris causing the rear pedal to be held in the depressed position engaging the servo motor. Also, check the switch on the rear pedal for being stuck or mis-adjusted. I know the rock thing sounds as likely as hitting a deer on a clear day with open highway but i have read several stories about it happening.

Did you notice any mouse or rat lodgings when you had the tank off? possible chewed wires.
Nope riding at all at the moment is out of the question. Guess I'll break down and order Speigler brake lines as it doesn't look like Galfer makes any for my non-Brembo brakes - at least according to the website - might call to make sure.

I'll check for stuck brake pedal but as long as it's been unridden/unloved it's probably gunked up bad. Haven't seen any evidence of mouse/rat visitations which is a pleasant surprise.
Voyager and bmwcoolk1200 like this.
post #11 of 14 Old Dec 6th, 2018, 6:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Nope riding at all at the moment is out of the question. Guess I'll break down and order Speigler brake lines as it doesn't look like Galfer makes any for my non-Brembo brakes - at least according to the website - might call to make sure.

I'll check for stuck brake pedal but as long as it's been unridden/unloved it's probably gunked up bad. Haven't seen any evidence of mouse/rat visitations which is a pleasant surprise.
Then you can spend the rest of the winter bleeding them!
bmwcoolk1200 and msgulfcoast like this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #12 of 14 Old Dec 6th, 2018, 6:37 pm

Garage

Quote:

Before you put all the tupperware back on, replace that pesky air filter too.
Patric likes this.
post #13 of 14 Old Dec 6th, 2018, 11:20 pm

Sometimes the rear caliper seizes up due corrosion. Also put some paint on both ends of one of those quick connects.
msgulfcoast likes this.

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #14 of 14 Old Dec 7th, 2018, 12:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Paint is a good idea but I think reversing them even better.
msgulfcoast likes this.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in