Using the Rear Seat wiring for switched relay in Fuzeblocks - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 9Likes
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 1 Post By Munmi
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By Ricky Chuck
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By reikin
  • 2 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By cws

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Nov 17th, 2018, 8:53 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Using the Rear Seat wiring for switched relay in Fuzeblocks

Hi, while I have it stripped down I am doing some other things, one of which is a Fuzeblocks. I saw in several posts about using the rear seat wiring "green wire" as the trigger but the question is which green wire? Looking at the area with the rear seat off I see the power plug on the left of the pic and there is a green/black wire. On the right there are some wires on one of the barrel connectors and one is green but so far I have not read or seen something that zeros in on "the green wire". Or...is it somewhere else completely?

I should add I don't have the battery in and don't want to try to energize it so hoping for a visual instead of a voltage check.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear seat power plug.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	656.6 KB
ID:	148681  

Oklahoma City, OK. 2003 K1200 LT. "Remember men, if the women don't find ya handsome, at least let 'em find ya handy." Red Green

Last edited by Ricky Chuck; Nov 17th, 2018 at 9:15 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Nov 17th, 2018, 10:26 pm

Re: Using the Rear Seat wiring for switched relay in Fuzeblocks

I used the wire with green on the white heated seat power connector not the barrel connector.
Ricky Chuck likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Nov 18th, 2018, 12:09 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
I used the wire with green on the white heated seat power connector not the barrel connector.
Thanks! Since I don't carry a passenger I think I will just use a square connector and push onto the male part of that wire and leave it unplugged...once I confirm it works, lol.

Oklahoma City, OK. 2003 K1200 LT. "Remember men, if the women don't find ya handsome, at least let 'em find ya handy." Red Green

post #4 of 14 Old Nov 19th, 2018, 12:51 pm

If you use one of these Posi-Tap connectors,https://www.posi-products.com/posiplug.html , things will go quite easily. I have used the wire for the parking light in the headlight assembly as my trigger power. Has worked well on both LT's I have owned.
Ricky Chuck likes this.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 Old Nov 20th, 2018, 5:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munmi View Post
If you use one of these Posi-Tap connectors,https://www.posi-products.com/posiplug.html , things will go quite easily. I have used the wire for the parking light in the headlight assembly as my trigger power. Has worked well on both LT's I have owned.
Just dont let them get wet or get any road or sea salt on them. They are far inferior to a proper splice that is soldered, coated with dielectric grease and then sealed with appropriately sized shrink tubing.
Ricky Chuck likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #6 of 14 Old Nov 20th, 2018, 6:49 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Just don’t let them get wet or get any road or sea salt on them. They are far inferior to a proper splice that is soldered, coated with dielectric grease and then sealed with appropriately sized shrink tubing.
I had actually intended to just get one of the female prong connectors and plug it into the fixed male connector and solder to the green wire coming off the female plug...no? I ride alone so no need for it to be plugged into the rear seat.

OR...get one of those Deutsch connectors and crimp/solder to it and just push onto the green wire male connector...
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

Last edited by Ricky Chuck; Nov 20th, 2018 at 6:57 pm.
post #7 of 14 Old Nov 20th, 2018, 8:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chuck View Post
I had actually intended to just get one of the female prong connectors and plug it into the fixed male connector and solder to the green wire coming off the female plug...no? I ride alone so no need for it to be plugged into the rear seat.

OR...get one of those Deutsch connectors and crimp/solder to it and just push onto the green wire male connector...
Getting a connector the same as on the seat and then using that to plug into the bike connector would be the ideal way as long as you dont need the seat heater.
Ricky Chuck likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #8 of 14 Old Nov 24th, 2018, 1:52 am

Hi. I did this a number of years ago so I thought I throw this in. I installed a small fused relay under the rear seat to provide switched power to the fuzeblock. I got switched power by cutting into the loom near the large plug at the rear of the seat and finding a wire that was live when the bike was turned on. I can't remember exactly which one; I think it's power to the top box light but it was a long time ago.
Soldered, shrink-wrapped and re-taped the loom.
The relay is designed to slide on to a mount that came with the relay. I've just pushed it onto a mount that is already on the bike next to the plug for the seat heater. It doesn't fit properly but hasn't moved for at least six years now.
I'll try and post a couple of pictures on this thing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181124_145902.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	148721   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181124_145748.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	148723   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181124_144743.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	148725  
Ricky Chuck likes this.

Russell Ikin
1970 R60/5
1984 100RS Cafe Racer
2007 K1200LT
Perth, Western Australia
post #9 of 14 Old Nov 24th, 2018, 6:41 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reikin View Post
Hi. I did this a number of years ago so I thought I throw this in. I installed a small fused relay under the rear seat to provide switched power to the fuzeblock. I got switched power by cutting into the loom near the large plug at the rear of the seat and finding a wire that was live when the bike was turned on. I can't remember exactly which one; I think it's power to the top box light but it was a long time ago.
The relay is designed to slide on to a mount that came with the relay. I've just pushed it onto a mount that is already on the bike next to the plug for the seat heater. It doesn't fit properly but hasn't moved for at least six years now.
The Fuzeblock does not need a relay on the switched signal. It has been a decade since I installed mine, but I am pretty sure it uses that only as a control signal. It takes all power for both its switched and unstitched outputs directly from the battery, not through the signal line.
cws and Munmi like this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #10 of 14 Old Nov 24th, 2018, 11:35 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Thanks! If I hadn't found the green wire on the rear seat plug I was going to dig into one of the barrel harnesses. I looked at the your location but decided I wanted a bit more protection from dirt and moisture. It made the fuzeblock a little taller but I put a thin wooden cover over the pcb and then added some of the heavy 3M velcro and will have it stuck to the open area by the left saddlebag. The black piece that comes from the rear cover will pull up enough to find a good spot and I have my wires coming around the front and back so I can see the color tags for the wires running to the front. For the back two wires I cut them into short pigtails and will add wire as I think of power needs such as led running lights. Actually I found a little 12v led hub that will dispense power to several led sticks and I can feed it with just one of the FZ-1 fuzes.

post #11 of 14 Old Nov 24th, 2018, 7:57 pm
cws

Garage

Ran a wire from the switched rear powerlet plug for mine to trigger the switched power on the Fuzeblock. Easy enough to get to.
Ricky Chuck likes this.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #12 of 14 Old Nov 27th, 2018, 1:16 am

I think the posi-tap connectors are great and you can put a little dielectric grease i both ends before assembling. Keeps out dirt, water, and corrosion.

Still rolling in Southern Oregon
post #13 of 14 Old Nov 28th, 2018, 4:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
The Fuzeblock does not need a relay on the switched signal. It has been a decade since I installed mine, but I am pretty sure it uses that only as a control signal. It takes all power for both its switched and unstitched outputs directly from the battery, not through the signal line.
Yes. More force of habit and it gave me a neat fused circuit close to the rest of the fuses. I'm not a fan of having inline fuses; I tend to forget where I put them.

Russell Ikin
1970 R60/5
1984 100RS Cafe Racer
2007 K1200LT
Perth, Western Australia
post #14 of 14 Old Nov 28th, 2018, 6:44 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Yes. More force of habit and it gave me a neat fused circuit close to the rest of the fuses. I'm not a fan of having inline fuses; I tend to forget where I put them.
The Fuzeblock has a relay and fuses built in so you are simply adding a relay to control a relay and a fuse to protect fuses. No harm in that, but completely unnecessary and more parts to fail.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in