2006 K1200LT High Beam and Windshield Motor Issues - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 10Likes
  • 1 Post By Scimitar
  • 2 Post By jzeiler
  • 2 Post By Kay1200
  • 5 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Nov 4th, 2018, 11:03 pm Thread Starter

2006 K1200LT High Beam and Windshield Motor Issues

Hey everyone. I spent past couple days replacing the wiring harness in my 06, as my original wiring harness completely fried, and I recently ran into some issues. The electronics were working fine as soon as I finished the swap, but my high beams and windshield adjustment quit working as I was showing my GF the end result 🙄. The windshield lowered about two inches and stopped, so I tried to move the windshield up with the switch and it moved a good inch before ceasing again. The switch will not move the windshield, and my high beams are not working either. The dash is not showing the high beam indicator. I can't imagine what could've gone wrong; I mean, the entire harness was essentially plug and play On top of this, the engine will not roll over. I am only getting a clicking from the relay. I don't know. I'm just stumped and disheartened by this. I checked the fuses already, things looked good. I pulled apart the left hand switch for the high beams and windshield, and again everything looked good. I pulled the front cowl and dash off again to make sure all of the insulation is in tact, everything was plugged in, etc. I found nothing out of the ordinary. The bike is torn down for the most part. I'm just wondering what I could be missing. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Nov 4th, 2018, 11:28 pm Thread Starter

Re: 2006 K1200LT High Beam and Windshield Motor Issues

Woah... it looks like using the electric stand does the trick! The windshield and high beams are working now, until the engine attempts to roll over. Once the starter clicks the high beam and windshield switch lose functionality. What does this sound like?

Last edited by Kay1200; Nov 4th, 2018 at 11:34 pm.
post #3 of 6 Old Nov 5th, 2018, 4:03 am

Missing or poor earth connection.
Kay1200 likes this.

Previous username - ajlelectronics

post #4 of 6 Old Nov 5th, 2018, 2:05 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I agree you are missing a wire somewhere. I don't know how much of a harness change you did but the most common mistakes are with the reverser controller lines. There are three large (10.0 mm) black with yellow stripe wires. Each has a different colored sleeve on it. The one with the red sleeve goes to the battery +, the one with the black sleeve goes to the starter tie point (see pic) behind the battery and the one with the brown sleeve goes to the ground tie point.

Another area is the starter relay output line, it is also black and often is installed as a ground by mistake, it goes to the starter tie point. If you did do this the starter relay is shunted straight to ground (this sounds like the issue). All grounds on BMW bikes are brown wires and in the harness there are two wires with eyelets that attach to the top of the transmission and frame right behind the starter motor (see pic). There should only be one Brown wire on the battery ( - ) terminal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tie Points.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	148515   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bolts for starter1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	666.1 KB
ID:	148517  
kbob12 and Kay1200 like this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jzeiler; Nov 5th, 2018 at 2:14 pm.
post #5 of 6 Old Nov 5th, 2018, 4:27 pm Thread Starter

WOOOH! Problem solved! It was a ground issue, and jzeiler was right on the money in the second paragraph. I must have thought the black wire was the ground strap. The bike is rolling over now and it looks like it is ready to be reassembled. Thanks for the help, I know you responded to my earlier thread as well. That saved me what I imagine would have been a good weekend troubleshooting the wires.
Patric and Munmi like this.
post #6 of 6 Old Nov 6th, 2018, 8:35 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You are not the first one to do that but you are the first one to listen and fix it this quickly.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in