Centerstand Dolly - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Nov 4th, 2018, 10:01 am Thread Starter

Centerstand Dolly

Trying to make some room in my garage - just too many bikes (and other junk). Looking for dolly options/ideas.

There are discussions on the forum about difficulty getting the LT up on the centerstand, and that things such as the shock pre-load or tire wear could be a factor. Considering that - Is anybody using a centerstand dolly with an LT with the manual centerstand? I would think the added height of the dolly would make it much more difficult to get it up on the stand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Nov 4th, 2018, 2:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Centerstand Dolly

Not an LT, but I use it all the time with my RT. That's what I use to turn the bike around 180 deg. in the garage, after a ride. I guess that the extra height does make getting the bike up on the center -stand a little harder, but quite frankly it's very little. To counter that, as long as you have a relatively smooth surface that the dolly rides on, you will find that as the bike gets lifted up, the dolly will very quickly slide/roll into position, which makes the lifting much easier.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #3 of 17 Old Nov 4th, 2018, 6:11 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I use the Park and Move dolly on my 05 with the EHCS but I have also used it on older LTs. Just roll the rear wheel up on a wedge shaped 2 x 4 and it is a snap. The LT is very well suited for dolly use as the stand is very close to the center balance point of the bike.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jzeiler; Nov 5th, 2018 at 1:51 pm.

post #4 of 17 Old Nov 5th, 2018, 8:21 am
Lifetime Supporter

Yep. I have been using that same Park-And-Ride dolly for many years now.

OTOH, if you want to go cheap, and simply wants to easily move your LT out of the way, you might want to look at the Harbor Freight motorcycle dolly. IF your LT will fit on it, the bike can sit on the side stand on the dolly. My son-in-law has one for his Ducati.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #5 of 17 Old Nov 5th, 2018, 8:25 am

Another vote for the Park n Ride dolly. I use two stacks of magazines, duct taped into two bundles to add some height under the front wheel. One is about 4 mags tall and the other is about 8 mags tall. The taller one is tapered to make it easier to ride up on. I place the shorter stack in front of the taller one and then ride up onto the taller one.

Beware, there is another version of the Park n Ride dolly that's advertised on Ebay, but the quality is nowhere near that of the original. The weight capacity is about half, the casters don't roll as well and the main plate flexes, causing problems in moving the bike around once it's on the device.
post #6 of 17 Old Nov 5th, 2018, 9:44 am

Is it actually the Park-n-Move, by Legal Speeding?

Either way - this would be easier (and less expensive) than Condor's full-length bike dolly.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
post #7 of 17 Old Nov 5th, 2018, 10:42 am
Lifetime Supporter

I meant Park-n-Move, Howard!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #8 of 17 Old Nov 5th, 2018, 11:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
I meant Park-n-Move, Howard!
Thanks. There are some similarly-named products out there; wanted to ensure I was looking at the right one.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #9 of 17 Old Nov 5th, 2018, 4:00 pm

Oops. Thanks for the correction. Here's the website.

https://www.legalspeeding.com/products.htm#.W-C9Y5NKhPY
post #10 of 17 Old Nov 5th, 2018, 6:41 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelmgren View Post
Trying to make some room in my garage - just too many bikes (and other junk). Looking for dolly options/ideas.

There are discussions on the forum about difficulty getting the LT up on the centerstand, and that things such as the shock pre-load or tire wear could be a factor. Considering that - Is anybody using a centerstand dolly with an LT with the manual centerstand? I would think the added height of the dolly would make it much more difficult to get it up on the stand.
I had one of these and have a few observations:

1. If your floor isn't 100% level, you might find yourself bottoming-out the bottom of the dolly. If you're pushing the bike and it does that, you run the risk of having the bike come off the center stand and dolly.

2. I had one of the wheels lose the rubber portion after only about a year. Dude from support said go to the hardware store to get a replacement (and I couldn't find one). Didn't matter as I would end up getting rid of all of my gear and the bike itself.

3. They are really useful and I was going to get another one when I got the BMW, but I find I ride the bike more when I leave the car outside and park the bike in its place.

Those who say that it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those who are doing it.

Democrats are to America what mold is to bread.
post #11 of 17 Old Nov 5th, 2018, 10:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by N00bie RT Gawd View Post
[b] I had one of these and have a few observations:
Are you sure that you have the one from Legal Speeding and not the Ebay knockoff? Some of your comments make me think that you have the Ebay version that is lightly constructed when compared to the original.

Quote:
1. If your floor isn't 100% level, you might find yourself bottoming-out the bottom of the dolly.
The base plate of the Legal Speeding version is quite thick. Earlier versions of the device might have had this issue, but the latest ones don't. The bottom plate on mine doesnít flex perceptibly, even with me sitting on the bike, a 2018 RT, and I'm about 232, bringing the total to about 840 lbs.

Quote:
If you're pushing the bike and it does that, you run the risk of having the bike come off the center stand and dolly.
I can't conceive of a slab floor that would be bumpy enough for that to happen. I've pushed mine across my wife's parking pad that's made of poorly laid interlocking paving stones and while it's bumpy, it still moves well. I have hit an obstruction, a piece of wood, on my cement slab, and had the bike come off the center stand. I caught it, but now I use a ratchet strap to secure the center stand to the front protection bar. That's not going to ever happen again. It just takes a few extra moments to put on and remove the ratchet strap.
post #12 of 17 Old Nov 5th, 2018, 10:46 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer Dood View Post
Are you sure that you have the one from Legal Speeding and not the Ebay knockoff? Some of your comments make me think that you have the Ebay version that is lightly constructed when compared to the original.

The base plate of the Legal Speeding version is quite thick. Earlier versions of the device might have had this issue, but the latest ones don't. The bottom plate on mine doesnít flex perceptibly, even with me sitting on the bike, a 2018 RT, and I'm about 232, bringing the total to about 840 lbs.

I can't conceive of a slab floor that would be bumpy enough for that to happen. I've pushed mine across my wife's parking pad that's made of poorly laid interlocking paving stones and while it's bumpy, it still moves well. I have hit an obstruction, a piece of wood, on my cement slab, and had the bike come off the center stand. I caught it, but now I use a ratchet strap to secure the center stand to the front protection bar. That's not going to ever happen again. It just takes a few extra moments to put on and remove the ratchet strap.

Yes, I believe I was there when I bought and used this.

It was from LS. It isn't a matter of flex (no way it would), but that it's like 1/4" off of the floor (just taking a guess there).

There are a few high spots on my garage floor. The first couple of times using this dolly, I suddenly became acquainted with them; as I was pushing the bike and dolly into their spot, the dolly bottomed-out on one of those spots. The bike (a Concours 14), went forward and off of the centerstand and dolly. I was holding onto the bike, so no danger of it falling down.

Now I don't worry about it- I just moved my car outside (occasionally, I kick the wife's car out and bring mine in!), and I park my RT in its place. Plus $199 is steep (not even including shipping), and the fact that one of the dolly wheels disintegrated and they wouldn't replace it, well...never again.

Just my experience. Your mileage may vary.

Those who say that it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those who are doing it.

Democrats are to America what mold is to bread.
post #13 of 17 Old Nov 8th, 2018, 6:43 pm

Don't have my KLT any longer, now ride a R1200RT, but when I had it stacked a plywood base with a 1 inch board, screwed together in a staggered manner. Made it very easy to roll the heavy KLT on to the top board allowing a much easier time to get the bike up on the centerstand. At the end of time with the bike, had some shock sag and the combo board still worked. Can't say enough nice things about the Park and Move or it's owner. Very worthwhile investment. Back to lurk mode! Best, Bob

Bob
post #14 of 17 Old Nov 9th, 2018, 3:19 pm

Anyone have problems getting the bike off of the dolly?

Frank
post #15 of 17 Old Nov 10th, 2018, 8:14 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfguy View Post
Anyone have problems getting the bike off of the dolly?

Frank
Ahhh......a very good question! The answer is No, and Yes! No, I don't have any problems at all now, and Yes I used to have a serious problem when I had first acquired the dolly, but came up with an easy solution to make that problem a non-issue.

First, the mechanic of getting the bike off the dolly. The method that I use is to put my left foot in front of the near-side dolly wheel to prevent it from moving forward, then rock the bike backward onto its rear wheel then quickly forward and use the momentum to bring the bike right off the stand. My side-stand is always deployed, and so I just settle the bike down on that, and all in one fluid motion.

Now, the problem at the beginning. This is with the RT, and it may be different with your LT. The issue was that I had to position the center-stand of the RT very near the front of the platform, when I get the RT up on the dolly. That means I have a fairly smooth metal surface of the bottom of the center-stand feet resting on a relatively smooth painted surface of the dolly platform. On many occasions. when I tried to get the bike off the dolly, the near-side foot of the center-stand would slide off the platform and catches under the platform, while the right side is still on the platform. This pushes the dolly hard up against the rear tire with the center stand partly retracted, and jam the dolly very tightly against the rear wheel! Usually took me 10 to 15 minutes to wrangle the mess apart, with great danger of dropping the bike as I leaned the bike to the right to try to get the dolly free.

Anyway, the solution is to provide greater friction between the center-stand feet and the dolly platform. I did this by using contact cement to attach patches of very coarse emery cloth (you should be able to find at Lowes or Home Depot) at the strategic locations. Coarse sandpaper will work, but don't use it! The paper isn't strong enough and it will disintegration in short time. So, I have zero issues after I had made this modification.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #16 of 17 Old Nov 10th, 2018, 9:48 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I ended up building a small chock with friction material to lay in front of the dolly wheels. It worked very well. Then I noticed LS had gone back to the old style casters with an easy wheel lock so I ordered a set and installed them. I could never get my K1300GT up on the dolly and if I did there was too much weight on the front wheel to make it go sideways easily. I ended up making an "outrigger" for it that would allow me to put the rear wheel on the dolly and the side stand on the outrigger. I used two of the "old" style casters on the outrigger. Now it is a snap to move the GT around and it unbolts easily for use on the LT.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG5687.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	148583  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #17 of 17 Old Nov 11th, 2018, 1:58 pm

I had a problem at first taking the bike off the dolly because the wheels roll so easily that when I rocked the bike back and forth to get the center stand to fold, the dolly would roll across the floor. I just batoned the corner off a short length of 2 x 4 so I had a triangular piece of wood about 18" long. I place that in front of the two front dolly wheels and when I rock the bike back and forth, the center stand just folds up. The triangular piece of wood stop the dolly from rolling forward.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in