• 1 Post By commuterguy
  • 1 Post By N00bie RT Gawd
  • 1 Post By Zeek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 1:43 pm Thread Starter

Hi I`m a new bmw owner

Hi I intend to do some trips with my bike But also would like to ride this bike around town . How about removing the trunk ? Does that change the handling much ???
kbob12 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 2:45 pm

Re: Hi I`m a new bmw owner

I don't think so, but I don't understand why you would have a bike like an LT and then remove its capabilities.

Previous username - ajlelectronics
post #3 of 21 Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 4:12 pm

Garage

I haven't had mine for very long and I came from an 1150RT which was a couple of hundred pounds lighter, lol, and I can tell you there are venues where it is more fun to have the trunk off. It weighs about 35 pounds and if you take it off and like to ride curvy roads you can appreciate that it is not up there. I think it is is a bit easier for slow speed maneuvering but that may be imaginary.

It also looks sportier without the thing, lol.
kbob12 likes this.

Oklahoma City, OK. 2003 K1200 LT. "Remember men, if the women don't find ya handsome, at least let 'em find ya handy." Red Green

post #4 of 21 Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 6:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkabout9255 View Post
Hi I intend to do some trips with my bike But also would like to ride this bike around town . How about removing the trunk ? Does that change the handling much ???
About the trunk removal: this subject has been discussed many times here in the past.
You may want to read these 2 most recent threads - some of these post have photos:

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt...-question.html

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt...-lt-naked.html
kbob12 likes this.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #5 of 21 Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 7:19 pm

Welcome to the sometimes frustrating but always wonderful world of the K 1200 LT. Like you I am relatively new to the big girl, I have had mine just on a year now and have loved every minute. Except for the frustrating bits
A few months ago I decided to remove the top box to see how it felt. What I ended up with was a bike that was, I felt, more usable and certainly easier to handle at slow speed. At high speed it was easier to flick around and felt more like the most comfortable sports bike you will ever ride. Like a few other here I thought why would you buy a big fully kitted tourer and remove a part of it but I did and I have no regrets. At the end of the day it's a 15 minute job that can be easily reversed at any time when you have that big trip coming up.

Down side? You lose two rear speakers and a back rest for the Mrs's but you don't need those all the time. Up side? you lose 15 kilograms of weight mounted high up on the back that acts like a pendulum. There have been a few times at parking speed when I believe I might have dropped it had I still had the box on.

I actually like how the bike looks without the box now and other people have commented also.

Give it a go, you will be surprized at the difference.
Ricky Chuck and kbob12 like this.
post #6 of 21 Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 8:58 pm

I have my trunk off most of the time. I only put it back on when the GF comes along.
After that, it comes off again( truly 15mins effort).
With it off, I screw tie down loops into the mounting holes for the trunk & keep a flight bag strapped down there. It holds my jacket liner, warmer gloves, raingear, etc
This way, for one up riding, this bike is much more agile.
Ricky Chuck and kbob12 like this.

A good man once told me, "Don't ever get rid of your bike. It's your soul."

'06 Audi A6 3.2, "Beauty"
'00 BMW k1200LT, "Kitty"
'82 Suzuki GS1100GK, "Medussa(evil)"
'80 Suzuki GS1000G, "Penny",

Gone, but sorely missed
'77 Yam XS750-2D, "Loretta"
'84 Yam Venture, "the Polish Pony"
'73 Porsche 911T Targa(mechanical injection)
post #7 of 21 Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 9:13 pm

I have an 02 and an 05 at the moment. I pulled the trunk off the 02 and found it better at everything, save for one; storage. The trunk is a great thing to have for watertight and secure storage, which is convenient as that's what it was designed to accomplish. However it's heavy and sits way high of the CofG. So this translates to added trouble at low speed. Also, and for me this was the biggest downside, the trunk acts as a sail and moves the bike around a lot from wind/gusts. Once I removed it, the bike was rock steady all the time.

Still, it's a toss up. The functionality of the case vs the perceived "disadvantages". But as was already mentioned, it's a 15 min to remove or reinstall.
kbob12 likes this.
post #8 of 21 Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 10:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkabout9255 View Post
Hi New BMW Owner! I am a second year "new" bmw owner. Since my wife does not wish to ride with me, I removed the trunk, and installed a Corbin Smuggler trunk which seems to make it more aerodynamic for a solo rider... though I found I prefer riding with a rack on back and use the Corbin box when going on overnight runs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4199.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	148495   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC7809.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	148497   Click image for larger version

Name:	sIMG_E7029.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	487.2 KB
ID:	148499  
rpfoster likes this.

Bob
Covina, CA
2000 K1200LTI Champagne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 21 Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 11:17 pm

I too feel the need to put in my 2 cents worth.
I am 71 and have been riding since 16. I did the 4 corners tour on a 2000 Goldwing, toured for 5 years after that on a Haybusa and that is how I was riding when I became a member of the Iron Butt Association riding over 1000 miles i less than 24 hours. Getting older I decided I needed more weather protection than offered by the Hayabusa. For the last 3 years plus I have ridden a 2001 K1200LT. It was awkward to me and listening to the comments of others i removed the trunk and replaced it with a rack and have never looked back. I don't need the speakers because I removed the radio and turned that space into a larger glove box. I do camping trips and have a water proof bag that fits well on the rack. The bag with my tent, sleeping bag, mattress and camp chair weighs 35 pounds. The same weight as the trunk I removed.
The handles better and looks good. Do I travel without the trunk? Yes. I did the iron Butt 50CC in April. That was coast to coast in less than 50 hours. Santa Monica, CA to Tybee Island Geogia in just over 45 1/2 hours. i don't miss the trunk.
It is easy to remove and replace so just try it.
kbob12 likes this.

Still rolling in Southern Oregon
post #10 of 21 Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 11:54 pm

Garage

Don't get me wrong, the two main reasons I got this were cruise and the big trunk because the RT would not let me put my helmet in its trunk! Talk about frustrating, lol. I had a Pacsafe bag I could stow it in but it was awkward and the guys would be ordering their meal before I got inside, lol, so I got it and it was so cool to put the big Neotec with the 10C in the trunk like an adult ROFL...then I discovered my helmet would FIT IN THE LEFT SADDLEBAG!

I will probably still keep it on during a long trip but for short trips, overnight, etc, I anticipate going with the pseudo-bagger look, lol.

Oklahoma City, OK. 2003 K1200 LT. "Remember men, if the women don't find ya handsome, at least let 'em find ya handy." Red Green
post #11 of 21 Old Nov 4th, 2018, 7:26 am

Garage

Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

I don't think it changes it, but I really don't take the luggage off except to leave the bike parked at a hotel for a night.

2000 R1100RT
post #12 of 21 Old Nov 4th, 2018, 8:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

I don't think it changes it, but I really don't take the luggage off except to leave the bike parked at a hotel for a night.
I don't follow. You are talking about a K1200LT, right?
post #13 of 21 Old Nov 4th, 2018, 9:45 am

Not that I've noticed a change in handling with the trunk off, t just sits back there, never gets in the way. I ride my LT all around town just like the cops on their big cruisers. No problem.
Scimitar likes this.
post #14 of 21 Old Nov 5th, 2018, 12:52 pm

Cool Re: Hi I`m a new bmw owner

So, "walkabout8255", what's your verdict after receiving all these opinions ?! Here's my .02 -- I bought my LT in 2013, after coming from an FJR1300, Valkyrie, and Concours. Only the Conny had a Givi trunk. So I rode my Beemer a few trips with the trunk; it is very useful for 2 up riding or using it for storage space. Since the bike is a little top heavy, I decided to remove the trunk ( took 10 minutes) and love it ! No regrets, and it can go back on in minutes. You lose two speakers, too. I installed a Ft. Worth rack and have not reinstalled the trunk since 2014, since I ride solo. I believe it handles better at slow speeds, and is 35-40 pounds lighter. I use the side bags for rain gear, tool kit, etc. Any overnight trips, I just strap on a duffle. Try it ! And "watch the idiots" - Ride safe.
post #15 of 21 Old Nov 5th, 2018, 1:01 pm

Cool Re: Hi I`m a new bmw owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIfTHEAD View Post
I don't follow. You are talking about a K1200LT, right?
Whiskey shows to be riding an R1100RT, so he has detachable bags.
post #16 of 21 Old Nov 5th, 2018, 6:58 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbob12 View Post
Hi New BMW Owner! I am a second year "new" bmw owner. Since my wife does not wish to ride with me, I removed the trunk, and installed a Corbin Smuggler trunk which seems to make it more aerodynamic for a solo rider... though I found I prefer riding with a rack on back and use the Corbin box when going on overnight runs.
Damn that Smuggler is larger than I thought.
kbob12 likes this.

Those who say that it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those who are doing it.

Democrats are to America what mold is to bread.
post #17 of 21 Old Nov 5th, 2018, 8:25 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by N00bie RT Gawd View Post
Damn that Smuggler is larger than I thought.
lol. The Smuggler can hold my helmet, gloves, rain suit, when I ride somewhere to walk around taking photos.
It is nicely padded inside, and stuff sits lower down where the rear seat would be. I also like the shape compared to the original box.
I removed the radio, and CD player, and the front speakers, so the box hanging out back seemed like a top heavy wind catcher for me.

Bob
Covina, CA
2000 K1200LTI Champagne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 21 Old Nov 5th, 2018, 8:34 pm

Garage

Quote:
lol. The Smuggler can hold my helmet, gloves, rain suit, when I ride somewhere to walk around taking photos.
It is nicely padded inside, and stuff sits lower down where the rear seat would be. I also like the shape compared to the original box.
I removed the radio, and CD player, and the front speakers, so the box hanging out back seemed like a top heavy wind catcher for me.
Yeah, I never bought into hard cases on top- too ugly and too expensive. I use the BMW Sport 3 bags.

The Smuggler looks like a mission pod for aircraft!

But srsly- I thought the Smuggler was just a small storage area...maybe it's larger for the BMWs?
kbob12 likes this.

post #19 of 21 Old Nov 5th, 2018, 8:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by N00bie RT Gawd View Post
Yeah, I never bought into hard cases on top- too ugly and too expensive. I use the BMW Sport 3 bags.

The Smuggler looks like a mission pod for aircraft!

But srsly- I thought the Smuggler was just a small storage area...maybe it's larger for the BMWs?
Yes, I like the way it looks, and it is substantial.
I have seen smaller Smuggler cases for other motorcycles, though it sure is roomy for the KLT!

Bob
Covina, CA
2000 K1200LTI Champagne

post #20 of 21 Old Nov 5th, 2018, 10:12 pm

Garage

Quote:
Yes, I like the way it looks, and it is substantial.
I have seen smaller Smuggler cases for other motorcycles, though it sure is roomy for the KLT!
While I love my RT, I am insanely jealous that the Smuggler for your bike is WAAAY better. Damn it's sexy! I'd pay for that (and since it's a Corbin, I certainly will! lol)

I swear it looks like a chair and not a saddle!
kbob12 likes this.

post #21 of 21 Old Nov 8th, 2018, 6:08 pm

I bought my LT new in '09, and have just over 85K miles on it now. I have a Russell Saddle (worth every penny). I'm 6'2" and 230lbs. My better half is 5'1" and not fat (I don't know her mass and she ignores the question.)

Anyways, when my wife is aboard I get better mileage (I think due to slower starts), otherwise I can't even tell she's there. Whether the top case is empty or has a case of Coors Light (30 cans), I still don't notice any difference in handling, even slow speed. The only memorable wind problem was on the plains when powerful gusts were coming from the north (all through Kansas on our coast-coast trip), but even then it wasn't scary for me (my wife was petrified by the reaction swerves, so that was a long day, as close as I ever came to dropping her off at an airport).

In summary, the bike is so stable and easy handling that I would not denature it (beyond the saddle) to seek an improvement. Around town you will need that case for pizza and beer runs. A large pie is well clamped by the lid, and the lid is lockable with a 30 pack of cans. The LED brake light strip up high on the lid is an important safety feature.

And finally, in a pinch, you can transport a rather sizable flat screen TV between your back and the passenger seat rest (proven last Christmas).
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2009 K1200LT (since new) 80K+ Miles.
Doing my own service since 2018.
Mods: Spieglers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in