• 1 Post By Rickg
  • 1 Post By Dick
  • 9 Post By CharlieVT
  • 1 Post By mondrage
  • 6 Post By CharlieVT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Oct 25th, 2018, 5:03 pm Thread Starter

End of an era...

For the longest time I thought our 2000 K1200LT Icon was my last bike. What a wonderful motorcycle!

I knew everything about K1600GTL shortcomings. I posted long ago that the K1600GTL was a "place holder" for the next KLT. For years, I read GL1800 vs GTL comparisons, all the while waiting for BMW to put a KLT on the K1600 platform.
Hey! BMW, we are all still waiting!

I knew the GTL wasn't up to KLT standards vis a vis pillion comfort, wind management, comfort, yadda, yadda, yadda.

In a moment of weakness, having stopped by MaxBMW in NY with our friends (who out pace everyone on their K1600GT), the greatest pillion rider and I threw legs over a 2018 GTL in the showroom. Cut to the chase, we bought a 2018 GTL. Yeah, it's okay, not great. Anyone who has read the K1200LT vs K1600GTL comparos knows.
Some neat stuff, (try hitting the throttle in "rain mode" on wet grass. It works!). Some other stuff is just over the top. For example, I've bypassed all the Bluetooth stuff and hard wired my earbud connection. I'd much rather just plug in than bother with charging all that Bluetooth stuff.

I have very mixed feelings, not sure I would do it again if I could back up in time. But having done the deed:

and having two big tourers in the bike barn, (the R90/6 is in there too) I knew I needed to part with the KLT. In the past, I had as many as 5 bikes in the bike barn, and it made decisions tough. Having a KLT and a GTL side by side didn't seem to make sense. Too much pre-ride decision making. Seriously, if you have a KLT and like it, keep waiting.

We, (the World's Greatest Pillion Rider and I), were at the wedding of my first cousin once removed. About the groom, whom I had never met before, I learned during the ceremony that he was into motorcycles while she was into horses. (I knew about the horses part, having given her a western saddle years ago). They both have bikes, but she enjoys pillion riding too.

So a couple of Johnny Walker Blacks into the wedding reception a brilliant idea came to me. (Some of the best (and the worst) ideas come under the influence of ethanol.) I could sell my 18 year old KLT with 100K miles on it for a pittance, or I could give it away as a wedding present! Done!

The groom was ready to ride it from CT to NC the day after the wedding. Hmmm.... if he dumps it on the way home, everyone in the family will hate me forever, huh?

So I put the kibosh on his riding it to Raleigh. So the World's Greatest Pillion Rider and I will head out soon from the Deep South of Vermont, head for PA and Gettysburg, Skyline Dr, and BlueRidge Pkwy to deliver the bike. Gerbings on and ready for full amperage.
I honestly don't know how much of a "wrench" my cousin's new hubby is, but they are only a couple of hours from Saddleman, so I can relax.

Ride report to follow...
radar41, usmctpdog, Patric and 7 others like this.

Last edited by CharlieVT; Oct 25th, 2018 at 5:13 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Oct 25th, 2018, 5:58 pm Thread Starter

Re: End of an era...

Thanks, Dave.
Trying to figure out how to swing by and say "hello" on the ride down.
Depends on how we progress...
Will stay in touch
post #3 of 17 Old Oct 25th, 2018, 6:30 pm

Garage

Maybe that is how I will "dispose" of my KLT, just give it away.

Don Wreyford
BMWMOA, 91738
RA 27032
ABC 7915
00 LT, 84 RS, 98 GS, 76R75/6
"An Elephant is eaten one bite at a time"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

post #4 of 17 Old Oct 25th, 2018, 8:47 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT View Post
Thanks, Dave.
Trying to figure out how to swing by and say "hello" on the ride down.
Depends on how we progress...
Will stay in touch
I'm about two hours from Raleigh.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 Old Oct 25th, 2018, 9:25 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
For the longest time I thought our 2000 K1200LT Icon was my last bike. What a wonderful motorcycle! ... I could give it away as a wedding present! Done!...
Great story! Ending of your era with the bike, but the beginning of one for the recipient of your generosity.

Never declare a cherished memory as "the best day of my life"...it will forever diminish the possibility for "Tomorrow" being the "Best Day!"

post #6 of 17 Old Oct 25th, 2018, 11:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar41 View Post
Maybe that is how I will "dispose" of my KLT, just give it away.
When I got the dealerís trade-in offer toward a new GA, I decided that it was so close to giving it away that I would keep it and ride it a few more years or until the next big failure and then probably sell it for parts. Although, it still in salvageable condition I like Charlieís idea of giving it away literally. Nice move!
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #7 of 17 Old Oct 26th, 2018, 6:12 am

To me;

A sad day to give away your baby, BUT what a GREAT gift. I mean it, WOW.
I went into the dealer for some parts for my 2002 LT, 330000 glorious miles.
I glanced at the the new "B" model. Right away Jennifer comes over and says we have great deals
on this bike. 2500 from BMW and another 1500 for it being a test machine.
And I told her I could trade my RT in, only 65000 on that, and get the "B".
And she said just get rid of the LT. WHAT??? Get "rid" of.!!!!!!!!!
That's my baby, 48 states, Canada etc.
That day may come, but I will still hold on to her for now.
Out of 15 bikes, the best ever. The GTL was, as you say, OK!.
But the LT, exhilarating, can never ride that bike enough.
Keep the rubber side down on your new "baby".
Keep us updated on your ride.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #8 of 17 Old Oct 26th, 2018, 7:28 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Congrats on the new bike. Your "Pay it Forward" attitude is one of the many thing I've always liked about you Charlie. Going way back when you where the go to guy on finial drives for the light trucks. Enjoy the GTL and I hope you both many many miles of smiles.
kbob12 likes this.

Stevie Shreeve
post #9 of 17 Old Oct 26th, 2018, 4:59 pm

Charlie -
I think that I have given away all but 1 of the many bikes that I've owned. The last was my K100 RT. That was to a friend of mine who decided he wanted to learn to ride, after he retired. When he told me he was thinking of getting a Hog, I told him he could have my K, as long as he did not sell it to buy a hog and completed the MSF course.

He's still riding the K and has given up on the idea of a hog. In the end, I got to see someone trained and got a bike that they enjoy.

Not sure if there is going to be a K1600 in my life, since the LT does everything that I could want in a bike. But, if the time comes to change, then the LT will become a gift to someone.
kbob12 likes this.

RickG
'07 K1200 LT

'85 K100 RT
gift to friend
post #10 of 17 Old Oct 26th, 2018, 5:31 pm

Goodonya, Curtis. I've gotta cultivate a friendship sometime in the near future whom will take care of ole Toad under donorship! Thanks much for expressing your sincere and rational thoughts. Having Selvig nearby is a great matchup for your cousin's hubby. And I hear the GT and GTL group are on par with our forum to help you with care and feeding of your new bike-barn acquisition! Good luck, and best always.
katnapinn likes this.
post #11 of 17 Old Oct 26th, 2018, 6:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
Goodonya, Curtis. I've gotta cultivate a friendship sometime in the near future whom will take care of ole Toad under donorship! Thanks much for expressing your sincere and rational thoughts. Having Selvig nearby is a great matchup for your cousin's hubby. And I hear the GT and GTL group are on par with our forum to help you with care and feeding of your new bike-barn acquisition! Good luck, and best always.
Thanks, Dick.

And thanks to all the Gents above for the kind words.

The K1600 site is pretty good and there are some very helpful folks over there, and more than one who is recognizable as former contributor here. But I have to say there will never be a replacement for you guys, the "old guard" of BMW Luxury touring.
AlaskaFish, Patric, sailor and 6 others like this.
post #12 of 17 Old Oct 27th, 2018, 9:39 pm

I have my 2002 k1200lt and my 2014 r1200gsa sitting side by side.. i took the lt to Des moines moa with a for sale sign.. lot of lookers but no cash.. i figured this much ive seen these bike set on craiglist and ebay and never bring what they are worth.. hell when i bought mine off ebay i stole it!! Illl make my long story short by saying i fell back in love with my lt on that trip.. it is very reliable just point and shoot and it goes..my gsa has all the new technology and is pretty much point and shoot too.. Ill keep my lt and avoid the insult on low ball offers.. my 12 year old son has his eye on the gsa so by the time he can handle it ill still have the lt to leed the way

Unclebud in TX
Plainview TX
2007 Kawasaki KLX300r (dirt days)
1969 HONDA TRIAL 90 ( miles of smiles)
200? Unigo ( AKA The Pig)
2002 K1200 LT (AKA Nicci )
2004 Bushtect Roadstar (AKA Elli)
2014 R1200GSA (AKA FreeBird)

OTHER BIKE I HAVE OWNED
2004 R1150 GS (crashed) (AKA GRAY WOLF)
2004 R1150 RT ( Sold) (AKA SILVER BULLET)
1981 KAWASAKI KZ1000ST (SOLD)
1991 HARLEY SPORTSTER 883 (SOLD)

The flogging will continue untill morale improves!
post #13 of 17 Old Oct 28th, 2018, 3:10 pm

Charlie, I had the same mixed feelings as you when moving up to the GTL.
The flexibility of the luggage removal & ease of service went a long way in fostering a new respect for the GTL. Unless we are on long trips I ride with the side boxes removed.
Hill assist was huge here in the mountains along with the nimbleness of the new ride especially coming off the LT!
I LOVE her more and more each time we ride. Like you the wife is aboard 99% of the time!
The power, goodness the power is intoxicating.
I'm sure you're familiar with the https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/sea...rchid=15703130 forum.
BTW, I went with the RDL, Aero screen and removable mini-wings to achieve near LT comfort.
I figured I wasn't getting any younger so why not?
Congratulations.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #14 of 17 Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 8:50 am

End of an era...

I have also the blessed problem of too many bikes.
Iíve thought of letting the LT go many times, but just one look at it disuades me.

Recently I had the chance to ride the K1600GTL Exclusive.
Amazing torque. Great bike. Felt so lithe.
However, Iím sad to report that I felt it was missing something. Canít quite put my finger on it. Lack of heft, of substance. Donít know.

Came back home and rode the LT.
Man. This things feels as it means business. Get outta my way!
And now with the Gemi chip feels more agile yet massive.
I love this thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
niel_petersen likes this.

----------------------------------------------------
BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW K1200R: "Drophammer" 2006
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
Sachs MadAss FY125-20
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)

-----------------------------------------------------
post #15 of 17 Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 2:37 pm Thread Starter

Iconic Ride

2000 K1200LT Icon (get it?)

Left the Deep South of Vermont foggy, misty Sunday AM. 41 degrees F, toasty warm with Gerbings, stayed dry, but the road was wet and rivulets of water streamed up the CeeBailey windscreen. World's Greatest Pillion Rider (WGPR) drove a car and dropped it at BDL where I picked her up on the LT.

With WGPR aboard, headed west across NY and into PA on I-84. Overcast, but with dry roads, we covered interstate miles, counting deer carcasses all the way through PA. What a lot of road kill deer! At average 80, sure glad I had my deer whistle! I know it worked, didn't hit a single deer.

South on I-81, first night spent in Hazelton, PA, arriving just as the rain started. Still dry! Rain came during the night, in the AM we left Hazelton under low clouds and on wet roads into the AM rush, tractor trailers abound. We still managed to stay dry, and after some miles the sky started to clear, traffic thinned out, and we were again comfortably cruising rural PA interstate. First, a peek of sun through the clouds, then breaks of blue, and finally blue skies above.

Nice riding for interstate, until we ran into a long construction delay and then an overturned trailer blocking the entire road forcing all traffic to exit, somewhere along the Harrisburg beltway. https://www.pennlive.com/news/2018/1...uphin_cou.html
Detouring from our original plan to get to Gettysburg battlefield, we traveled a route east of Gettysburg and headed straight for Front Royal and the northern entry to Skyline Drive. Now under mostly sunny skies, the only complaint was the 35mph Skyline Drive speed limit and all the park rangers checking. Nice ride, no problems; we saw flashing blue lights come instantly on in the oncoming lane the same instant my detector screeched, but lucky us, just a warning as the car with the blue lights didn't turn to follow us. We found ourselves in Charlottesville for the night.

Day 3, picked up the Blue Ridge Parkway in Rockfish Gap. Best day yet! Early morning sun, low in the east, lit the yellow, orange, and green leaves of the parkway. Dry roads, sunny skies, and almost zero traffic. Temps still around 40 degrees F, but delightfully comfortable with Gerbings idling on low heat. For those who don't know the Blue Ridge, speed limit is 45 mph and with only a few cars and fewer rangers compared to Skyline Dr., it can be just a wonderful ride. And so it was. During summer vacation days, I'm sure the traffic is awful, but off season, midweek, you can have the Parkway all to yourself. A decent number of passing zones, and lot's of scenic pull-overs, cars tend to yield the road.

Dropping down off the Blue Ridge near Fancy Gap, we picked up I-77 and headed for Huntersville, NC. Great time getting together with Saddleman. Best dinnertime of the trip with those great folks. Got to tour Saddleman's shop. Impressive. Anyone who has Saddleman give them some help with their KLT won't know what a good deal they are getting.

Again heading out into an urban morning rush, from Hunterville we started up I-85 amongst the semis for a few miles, then exited south, bailing out of the congested commercial traffic. Navigating by the sun until we intersected rte 49; we found a nice leisurely, low traffic ride through mostly rural NC until we entered the urban sprawl of the Raleigh area.

Visited the newlywed recipients of our KLT gift in Cary, NC. Dropped off the bike and spent a few hours going over features. Dinner with them and his family, great fun that evening and the next day. Next morning WGPR and I rode with the newly weds, each of them on their sport bikes. Destination, her horse where it is boarded. We communed with the horses while she treated a cracked hoof. Later that day, we got dropped off at Raleigh Airport and flew back to cool and rainy New England and our waiting new GTL.

For all the comparisons between the KLT and the GTL, articulating this and that about the good and the bad, performance vs. comfort, I have to say the best assessment is written above by Eyvind (mondrage) who said, having ridden a GTL: "However, I’m sad to report that I felt it was missing something. Can’t quite put my finger on it. Lack of heft, of substance. Don’t know."

Yeah, that's it. He nailed it. That's all you KLT owners need to know. In the realm of how things feel, sometimes a poet gives you a better picture than a scientist or an engineer. If you have a KLT, keep waiting. I feel good about my gift of our beloved KLT, but I'll miss it. We'll continue efforts to make our new GTL more like our old KLT...maybe with a bigger windscreen and 40 pounds in each of the side cases?
Life goes on.
Ride safe.

Last edited by CharlieVT; Nov 2nd, 2018 at 2:46 pm.
post #16 of 17 Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 3:02 pm

First, what an awesome gift! I live in Fort Mill, just under Charlotte, so I hope to meet Saddleman someday, and it would be really cool to meet the newlyweds too. I'm new to the KLT, but I can tell it'll be a long relationship.
post #17 of 17 Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 3:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Iconic Ride

Quote:
2000 K1200LT Icon (get it?)

Left the Deep South of Vermont foggy, misty Sunday AM. 41 degrees F, toasty warm with Gerbings, stayed dry, but the road was wet and rivulets of water streamed up the CeeBailey windscreen. World's Greatest Pillion Rider (WGPR) drove a car and dropped it at BDL where I picked her up on the LT.

With WGPR aboard, headed west across NY and into PA on I-84. Overcast, but with dry roads, we covered interstate miles, counting deer carcasses all the way through PA. What a lot of road kill deer! At average 80, sure glad I had my deer whistle! I know it worked, didn't hit a single deer.

South on I-81, first night spent in Hazelton, PA, arriving just as the rain started. Still dry! Rain came during the night, in the AM we left Hazelton under low clouds and on wet roads into the AM rush, tractor trailers abound. We still managed to stay dry, and after some miles the sky started to clear, traffic thinned out, and we were again comfortably cruising rural PA interstate. First, a peek of sun through the clouds, then breaks of blue, and finally blue skies above.

Nice riding for interstate, until we ran into a long construction delay and then an overturned trailer blocking the entire road forcing all traffic to exit, somewhere along the Harrisburg beltway. https://www.pennlive.com/news/2018/1...uphin_cou.html
Detouring from our original plan to get to Gettysburg battlefield, we traveled a route east of Gettysburg and headed straight for Front Royal and the northern entry to Skyline Drive. Now under mostly sunny skies, the only complaint was the 35mph Skyline Drive speed limit and all the park rangers checking. Nice ride, no problems; we saw flashing blue lights come instantly on in the oncoming lane the same instant my detector screeched, but lucky us, just a warning as the car with the blue lights didn't turn to follow us. We found ourselves in Charlottesville for the night.

Day 3, picked up the Blue Ridge Parkway in Rockfish Gap. Best day yet! Early morning sun, low in the east, lit the yellow, orange, and green leaves of the parkway. Dry roads, sunny skies, and almost zero traffic. Temps still around 40 degrees F, but delightfully comfortable with Gerbings idling on low heat. For those who don't know the Blue Ridge, speed limit is 45 mph and with only a few cars and fewer rangers compared to Skyline Dr., it can be just a wonderful ride. And so it was. During summer vacation days, I'm sure the traffic is awful, but off season, midweek, you can have the Parkway all to yourself. A decent number of passing zones, and lot's of scenic pull-overs, cars tend to yield the road.

Dropping down off the Blue Ridge near Fancy Gap, we picked up I-77 and headed for Huntersville, NC. Great time getting together with Saddleman. Best dinnertime of the trip with those great folks. Got to tour Saddleman's shop. Impressive. Anyone who has Saddleman give them some help with their KLT won't know what a good deal they are getting.

Again heading out into an urban morning rush, from Hunterville we started up I-85 amongst the semis for a few miles, then exited south, bailing out of the congested commercial traffic. Navigating by the sun until we intersected rte 49; we found a nice leisurely, low traffic ride through mostly rural NC until we entered the urban sprawl of the Raleigh area.

Visited the newlywed recipients of our KLT gift in Cary, NC. Dropped off the bike and spent a few hours going over features. Dinner with them and his family, great fun that evening and the next day. Next morning WGPR and I rode with the newly weds, each of them on their sport bikes. Destination, her horse where it is boarded. We communed with the horses while she treated a cracked hoof. Later that day, we got dropped off at Raleigh Airport and flew back to cool and rainy New England and our waiting new GTL.

For all the comparisons between the KLT and the GTL, articulating this and that about the good and the bad, performance vs. comfort, I have to say the best assessment is written above by Eyvind (mondrage) who said, having ridden a GTL: "However, Iím sad to report that I felt it was missing something. Canít quite put my finger on it. Lack of heft, of substance. Donít know."

Yeah, that's it. He nailed it. That's all you KLT owners need to know. In the realm of how things feel, sometimes a poet gives you a better picture than a scientist or an engineer. If you have a KLT, keep waiting. I feel good about my gift of our beloved KLT, but I'll miss it. We'll continue efforts to make our new GTL more like our old KLT...maybe with a bigger windscreen and 40 pounds in each of the side cases?
Life goes on.
Ride safe.
Glad you had a good and safe ride. Actually, those whistles are like dog whistles. They call deer. I know as Iíve ridden 43 years on PA highways without a deer whistle and have yet to hit a deer.

I think it is like the old song says ďLove the one youíre with.Ē If my LT got totaled tomorrow, I would not buy a decade old used LT. I would buy a new GA or possibly an R1250RT and not look back. However, since my LT is running well and is paid for and outfitted to my taste, the K1600 simply offers me insufficient incentive to swap bikes. I have no doubt that a GA or even RT could be made ďalmost as comfortableĒ as an LT and that would be my approach should I need to replace the LT within the next 5 years or so.

I will be following your journey as you outfit the 1600 to your taste and get to now it better.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in