My First Post and K1200LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jan 7th, 2007, 8:35 am Thread Starter

My First Post and K1200LT

Hello All! I have been lurking here For a couple of weeks. I found this site while researching the K1200LT before I bought it. Everything I read pushed me toward this sweet bike. It is a 2000 K1200LT with 21000 Miles on it. I am looking forward to increasing the mileage on it. It is such a great bike.

I am looking for the best way to replace the cd changer with an ipod. What do the most learned members here recomend? The Dension Ice is not available anymore. I think the Dice is the only option, but I dont know which to get. Thanks in advance for your input.

Last edited by Benzbuilder; Jan 7th, 2007 at 8:48 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jan 7th, 2007, 8:42 am

Welcome to the site.

Because you have a 2000, I'm assuming that you have a cassette player. I highly recommend a cassette adapter that plugs right into the iPod. The sound quality is good enough for a bike. I've tried many other methods with less than pleasing results, and for a lot more money.

I can sell you a Dension ice>Link if you really want one though. $100 + shipping. The ice>Link lets you connect your iPod to the CD Changer's input, therefore the stereo thinks that your iPod is the CD Changer. PM me for all the details.
post #3 of 18 Old Jan 7th, 2007, 9:56 am

Ditto

I listen to my XM through the cassette player too. I have removed the CD player to get more saddle bag room.

post #4 of 18 Old Jan 7th, 2007, 10:58 am
fas

Cool Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzbuilder
Hello All! I have been lurking here For a couple of weeks. I found this site while researching the K1200LT before I bought it. Everything I read pushed me toward this sweet bike. It is a 2000 K1200LT with 21000 Miles on it. I am looking forward to increasing the mileage on it. It is such a great bike.

I am looking for the best way to replace the cd changer with an ipod. What do the most learned members here recomend? The Dension Ice is not available anymore. I think the Dice is the only option, but I dont know which to get. Thanks in advance for your input.
Welcome Wayne! Last time I was in your town, PSU beat Bama! Got a great shot of BEAR & JOE in the endzone before the game. You will love the LT. We rode our LTC hard for four years before moving to the '06 GT. Keep a close eye on tire pressures, your butt is now on a really HEAVY toy. I run my iPod with ear buds, since the GT has no system. Sounds great up to triple digits. My hat is a Simpson full face race hat and the noise is really low. SO along, we add the splitter cable, no sweat. I have special play lists for me alone, a bit more hard core rock than when SO is along. She can't handle long guitar solos that I love.

Shot attached taken on our way home from Canada. Found this old barn all painted up in PSU colors.....even has a LION! Hope your new BAMA coach helps rebuild the BOWL tradition for the fans.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	011_15.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	378.6 KB
ID:	9181  

Rob Nelson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #5 of 18 Old Jan 7th, 2007, 1:22 pm

Talking Ditto, Ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Welcome to the site.

Because you have a 2000, I'm assuming that you have a cassette player. I highly recommend a cassette adapter that plugs right into the iPod. The sound quality is good enough for a bike. I've tried many other methods with less than pleasing results, and for a lot more money.

I can sell you a Dension ice>Link if you really want one though. $100 + shipping. The ice>Link lets you connect your iPod to the CD Changer's input, therefore the stereo thinks that your iPod is the CD Changer. PM me for all the details.
What Joe & John said! I have a 2000 which I purchased new, and have been using the cassette adapter with my Ipod for at least the last 3 years with no problems! And I can have it right in my tank bag where I can have it viewable through the map window, or out of sight buried in the bag! And we also took out that 6 disc CD player to make more room in the saddlebag.

Enjoy your new ride, and Welcome!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #6 of 18 Old Jan 7th, 2007, 2:09 pm

Removal of the CD Unit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
What Joe & John said! I have a 2000 which I purchased new, and have been using the cassette adapter with my Ipod for at least the last 3 years with no problems! And I can have it right in my tank bag where I can have it viewable through the map window, or out of sight buried in the bag! And we also took out that 6 disc CD player to make more room in the saddlebag.

Enjoy your new ride, and Welcome!

John

When removing the CD unit. Did you just unplug it and physically remove it from the case, or are there other things that need be done?

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 18 Old Jan 7th, 2007, 3:41 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
When removing the CD unit. Did you just unplug it and physically remove it from the case, or are there other things that need be done?
Yup! Unplugged it, un-screwed it, and removed it. Then you will want to tie up & bag the loose wiring and connector. I just tied it up in the corner of the saddlebag, but I believe some folks have actually removed the wiring. Your choice.

The nice thing about using the cassette adapter for the Ipod is that you can select and control the Ipod volume by going to "CC" on the radio controls! Still need to use an Ipod remote to skip songs, or go back though.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #8 of 18 Old Jan 7th, 2007, 5:26 pm

You can add a remote to the pod and put the remote on top of the tank bag or anywhere you like then you can use the handlebar control or the remote. Several companies make them, along with apple.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #9 of 18 Old Jan 7th, 2007, 7:21 pm

Wayne, Welcome to a great bike and forum.

Regards,
John

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red
post #10 of 18 Old Jan 7th, 2007, 9:32 pm

Permit me to add my welcome in with the other voices.

I've only been here a few months, and have found this to be a great group of folks. They'll break your chops when they can They'll help you through what may strike them as the "stupidest" newbie questions. Heck, I had one person offer to ride over 200 miles to my place to help me work on my bike.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #11 of 18 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 10:20 am

Quote:
Welcome to the site.

And I'll sell you one for $95 including shipping....do I hear $85? It works great, I just dont use it since I went to XM radio.

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
post #12 of 18 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 10:55 am

Wayne:
Welcome, you're gonna love it!

Ray

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #13 of 18 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 12:20 pm

Cool 'Bama

fas:
It doesn't look like Houston Nutt's glorious tenure at Bama will start this year... ON WISCONSIN!! haha
I haven't found any barns dedicated to UDub or Bret Bielema yet, so I attached a photo of what my bike looks like during football gamedays...
...well, I can't attach it now, not enough bandwidth. I fly one of those stupid car flags - U of Wisc - off the top case.

Benz:
Welcome to the forum. There is a plethora of information - way more than I ever utilize since I take the bike to the dealer for all the service. It's there if you want it. The people here are really great too.
Most importantly: don't spend too much time on the forum - time spent here is time wasted on the LT! I wouldn't be here if I could be riding right now

I use the iPod with an fm transmitter from the glovebox. However, I mostly listen to the changer as 6 CDs lasts me over 8 hours - just burn custom CDs with your songs so you don't have to keep skipping tracks. Plus, it's easy to change CDs at the end of the day, faster than uploading songs to iPod probably.

The only time I've wanted more cargo space was a week-long camping trip to Northern Wisconsin. SO and I each had a side bag (I got the one with the changer, go figure), and the top case was for blankets, tent, pillows, towels, etc. The changer proved to take up very little space compared to the total available space. The real way to get more space, enough to get to Yellowstone to camp out, then back home, is a trailer. I'm looking into one next. Besides a trike or an automobile, you can't expect any more space!
post #14 of 18 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 1:17 pm

Quote:
Because you have a 2000, I'm assuming that you have a cassette player. I highly recommend a cassette adapter that plugs right into the iPod. The sound quality is good enough for a bike.
I agree with Joe on the cassette adapter. I have a slightly newer model LT, but has the Cassette rather then the CD, I use both a Cassette adapter for one of my many MP3 players, and also an FM transmitter, all work great, and the sound is good.

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!
post #15 of 18 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 3:11 pm

Welcome Wayne ... great bunch of folks here, even if I've yet to meet most of them ... looking forward to CCR!

Also, you have obtained the best engineered touring bike on the market ... look forward to meeting you some time!

Dave Frederick

Clinton UT
'05 Light Yellow Metallic LT

'05 Monochromatic Mulberry Red Triumph Rocket III

'12 Triple Black R1200GSA
post #16 of 18 Old Jan 9th, 2007, 4:26 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for all the great advice and warm welcomes. I have only been able to ride for a few hours today. i did manage to take my wifes pomeranian "Scooter" for a ride. He sat in the back seat like he was born to ride.
Anyway, it looks like I'll be using the cassette adapter. Thanks again for all the great advice. Hope to see you on the road.
post #17 of 18 Old Jan 9th, 2007, 9:42 am

Smile

Welcome to this forum. I have a 2000 LT too. I use a Smart Deck cassette that allows me to control the Ipod using the cassette deck controls on the handlebar. Works okay and costs about $30. Happy trails,
Terry
post #18 of 18 Old Jan 9th, 2007, 12:11 pm Thread Starter

Thanks 66, I just bought one on amazon for $20 incl ship. Cant wait to try it out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in