BMW OEM vs Odyssey PC680 - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By james216

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Oct 24th, 2018, 3:38 pm Thread Starter

Cool BMW OEM vs Odyssey PC680

This is a follow up to my post in May -- I don't ride much in the Texas summer heat, but it is now cooler, so been hitting the back roads lately. In late May, I reinstalled an OEM battery (date code 05 2013) after removing the PC680 AGM( install June '16), due to slow cranking. Yes, the correct type charger was/is being used. I might have found the culprit on the Odyssey ---- the metal "L" brackets for the posts seem to not stay tight; and yes, I have checked them regularly; also possible that the metal was not a good conductor ? So, the 5 year old BMW battery is out, with the Odyssey reinstalled , BUT, with some shop made aluminum "L" brackets for the connections. All other batteries (Yuasa, Interstate, OEM BMW, etc) come with alum posts. Both batteries have almost identical #'s ----- bike running 14.2 vdc, bike sitting 12.5 vdc, batt on charger 13.6 vdc. The OEM is still stronger to crank her; and after a ride tomorrow, I will analyze again. Just don't want to get caught in the boondocks with a bike that won't start. This ol gal is not too practical to push start. Any thoughts ?! thanks for the gold mine of experienced advice that will follow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Oct 24th, 2018, 4:20 pm

Re: BMW OEM vs Odyssey PC680

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValkyrieRider View Post
This is a follow up to my post in May -- I don't ride much in the Texas summer heat, but it is now cooler, so been hitting the back roads lately. In late May, I reinstalled an OEM battery (date code 05 2013) after removing the PC680 AGM( install June '16), due to slow cranking. Yes, the correct type charger was/is being used. I might have found the culprit on the Odyssey ---- the metal "L" brackets for the posts seem to not stay tight; and yes, I have checked them regularly; also possible that the metal was not a good conductor ? So, the 5 year old BMW battery is out, with the Odyssey reinstalled , BUT, with some shop made aluminum "L" brackets for the connections. All other batteries (Yuasa, Interstate, OEM BMW, etc) come with alum posts. Both batteries have almost identical #'s ----- bike running 14.2 vdc, bike sitting 12.5 vdc, batt on charger 13.6 vdc. The OEM is still stronger to crank her; and after a ride tomorrow, I will analyze again. Just don't want to get caught in the boondocks with a bike that won't start. This ol gal is not too practical to push start. Any thoughts ?! thanks for the gold mine of experienced advice that will follow
Get yourself one of these or the like to carry. They don't take up much room and are worth every penny in getting you going again if your battery does take a dump. I don't leave home without mine.

https://www.amazon.com/DBPOWER-18000...tery+jump+pack
james216 and ValkyrieRider like this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Oct 24th, 2018, 4:40 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

6 of one half dozen of another... My 7 year old PC 680 was getting a little slow to crank so I bought a new one - all better now. But I recharged my old one and now it is my bench battery for testing EHCS actuators as it was just too good still to recycle. My original OEM battery lasted 7 years as well. Yes, I have owned my LT for over 14 years now.
ValkyrieRider likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old Oct 24th, 2018, 6:29 pm

"Beemer Boneyard has them for around $80 each."
Every Yuasa motorcycle battery I have ever purchased has lead posts. Here is an example of what I buy for my K bike:
https://www.atbatt.com/yuasa-ytx14-b...ports-battery/
I like the fact that I can fill it myself, seal it (give it a pre charge as directed) and use it. I never buy OEM batteries because they are more than 2X over retail of a good battery.

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #5 of 8 Old Oct 24th, 2018, 11:16 pm

Garage

When I got my 1150R it had a gel BMW battery in it that was a goner so I got an Odyssey. I also got an Odyssey charger and kept it plugged in most of the time except for trips and I had a small tender if needed but never did. It nearly flipped my bike upside down in the mornings, lol, even in a garage that got down to 30s in the winter at odd times.

When I traded it in for my 05 1150RT they put a new BMW gel batt in it. I got the BMW charger that was specifically built for Gel batt voltages and recommended by DelTran. Kept it on the BMW charger for four years, gel battery didn't QUITE flip it upside down but it was always strong for four years with two pairs of aux lights and a light bar plus running lights...albeit LED, not to mention electric outfits when it was cold. Nary a problem. I also ran the handlebar heaters Fall and Winter and Spring due to frostbite in right hand back in 86 when I stupidly road a SilverWing to Miami for the Orange Bowl between OU and Arkansas with a Ninja and a Honda 750, lol, and came back through a blizzard...it wasn't the most well-thought-out trip but made for great memories!

This LT also had a new BMW gel battery put in it, now have the same charger keeping it happy. I expect it will go well, although the K engine sounds different than the R when firing over but still very strong fire up.

If I were on a long trip with lots of electrical needs I might go with the gel battery simply because the BMW alternator seems to put out voltage more acceptable to a gel battery than maybe the Odyssey? But...I always have a NOCO Genius 3.5a charger and long cord with me so hopefully a confluence of bad circumstances will never happen .

Oklahoma City, OK. 2003 K1200 LT. "Remember men, if the women don't find ya handsome, at least let 'em find ya handy." Red Green
post #6 of 8 Old Oct 25th, 2018, 9:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Get yourself one of tthese or the like to carry. They don't take up much room and are worth every penny in getting you going again if your battery does take a dump. I don't leave home without mine.

https://www.amazon.com/DBPOWER-18000...tery+jump+pack
I have a ion jump pack i always carry in the LT's trunk. Even though i have a brand new Odyessy. It's about the size of a larger i phone, takes up very little space.Would you know Howard Shisler needed it on Fridays ride in SMFR. He was very thankful. It enabled him to ride to Wheelers to buy a new battery. And i am very happy i bought it. It is very compact. And for $60.00. It's worth every penny. And if i ever need it. It's there. I recommend them.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #7 of 8 Old Oct 26th, 2018, 12:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by james216 View Post
I have a ion jump pack i always carry in the LT's trunk. Even though i have a brand new Odyessy. It's about the size of a larger i phone, takes up very little space.Would you know Howard Shisler needed it on Fridays ride in SMFR. He was very thankful. It enabled him to ride to Wheelers to buy a new battery. And i am very happy i bought it. It is very compact. And for $60.00. It's worth every penny. And if i ever need it. It's there. I recommend them.
I carry the 600A one so I can start most cars if need be and it is only slightly larger than the lower amp ones. Well worth the peace of mind.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #8 of 8 Old Oct 26th, 2018, 10:52 pm

Mine will start up to a 5.0 liter engine up to 4 times. And for $60.00. What a deal..

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in