Buy 2005 with Center-Stand Oil Residue? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By beech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 9:57 am Thread Starter

Buy 2005 with Center-Stand Oil Residue?

Greetings,
I am considering the purchase of a 2005 LT with 50K miles that has been very well maintained.
The only obvious concern is a build-up of oil on the underside of the bike, particularly on the center-stand.
While the residue is mostly dry, more along the consistency of grease, the electrical switch in that area is a little "wet".
Is this oil residue signs of a major repair or just a failure to clean the underside of the bike after many oil changes?

Thanks!

YD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4692.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	148349   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4691.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	148365   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4690.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	148367  

Last edited by Yamahadrummer; Oct 23rd, 2018 at 9:24 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 10:25 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Buy 2005 with Center-Stand Oil Residue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahadrummer View Post
Greetings,
I am considering the purchase of a 2005 LT with 50K miles that has been very well maintained.
The only obvious concern is a build-up of oil on the underside of the bike, particularly on the center-stand.
While the residue is mostly dry, more along the consistency of grease, the electrical switch in that area is a little "wet".
Is this oil residue signs of a major repair or just a failure to clean the underside of the bike after many oil changes?

Thanks!

YD
Can you tell if the oil is motor oil, gear oil (sulphuric smell) or brake fluid?

In any event, the answer is, yes, you are likely facing an expensive repair. You have either a leaking slave cylinder, leaking front transmission seals (the problem I had) or a leaking o-ring on the engine output shaft. Any of these will take out the clutch eventually and require clutch replacement. This is a $700 - $900 job if you do it yourself and replace all of the clutch parts and seals and such. If you have a dealer do it, expect $2,000+.

It isn’t a super hard job, but is very time consuming. I did several other things while I had my bike apart such as build a new crankcase ventilation assembly, thoroughly clean my throttle bodies, replace oxygen sensor, install Spiegler brake lines, install Wilburs shocks, etc. and I would estimate I had 24 hours or more of labor in the 6 calendar week effort. I am not sure how long just a clutch replacement would take if you include replacing the transmission seals, but I would estimate at least 16 hours for the first time. I think folks who had done it a couple times could probably do the work in 10 hours or possibly less.

Many of us where have done this so there are lots of write-ups on the forum and lots of folks who can offer advice when you hit the inevitable snag or two.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 11:25 am
Lifetime Supporter

Hi , if it is gear oil it is not good. But it kind of looks like whoever has been changing the oil on that thing has been pretty sloppy. It might just be oil from changing the oil filter covering everything . When you take the cover off to change the oil filter oil gets on the bottom on the oil pan , if you don't clean it up good it could make a mess like what is on the pictures. It looks like just behind the filter cover has a lot of gunk and it starts there not from in front like a water/oil pump leak.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 1:07 pm

It is a little difficult to tell from the pictures provided just where the oil may be coming from. If it is originating from between the engine and transmission, then Matt is correct about the major repair which I have done twice so far on different bikes. Not overly difficult bit time consuming. My concern is along with Patric as he also observed that there is a lot of oil in front of the trans on the engine in picture #2. That could be a leaking o-ring on the filter cover which is not major. I would say it would need to be thoroughly cleaned and monitored with possibly a new o-ring on the filter cover and tightened properly and go from there. If it was a oil.water pump leak, I would expect more oil in front of the filter cover rather than behind as pictured but not ruling it out.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #5 of 10 Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 9:39 am Thread Starter

Greetings everyone,
Thank you for your thoughts.
I do find it interesting that the outside of the oil filter cover is oily, as well as the area in front of it. This could suggest an oil filter cover leak, but even if so, how did the oil get forward of the cover? Is there another likely source more towards the front of the bike?
Also, if it was such a leak, wouldn't the electric/hydraulic center stand actuator be oily as well? It doesn't appear to be.
And, what is the function of the very small switch at the to of the center stand shown in the last photo that is entirely oil soaked?

Further, if the oil was coming from anything other than the oil cover wouldn't you expect it to also make the areas of the bike further behind/towards the rear of the bike, also be oily? They are not.

Lastly, just for argument sake, could the bike have been carelessly filled (or overfilled) with oil and the residue spilled onto the outside of the cases and run down them?

Thank you for considering all my questions , as I only have these pics of the oil leak, and the bike is a long distance from my home and not easy to investigate again.

YD
post #6 of 10 Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 11:36 am

Generally oil leaks do not move forward, but a small seepage can ( 1/2 inch front edge of oil filter cover). When I look at the oil filter cover there is oil seepage up and forward which can happen if oil cover is not torqued or needs a new O ring. I say this with experience with the issue on my own bike.
A little oil goes a long way unfortunately, If no major drips I would use a non chlorinated degreaser (brake clean) will clean and evaporate oil and monitor it after you have changed oil filter O ring.
Everyone is right about the clutch repair being expensive $2000, but if the weep hole slave repair has not been done, you should expect it eventually anyway. Seems to be the nature of the beast.
My 2002 had the issue and the 2005 I just bought had the issue as well (repaired before I got it)
These are great bikes but they have several known issues and if your going to own one, its just part of having (my opinion) one of the best motorcycles out there for touring.
I always say its the bike I hate to love, Love everything about bike, it does everything right but hate the maintenance and repair costs.
I do most minor stuff, servicing, plugs etc, but I am not geared up for trans or engine removal (no hoist or crane support)
post #7 of 10 Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 12:20 pm

If the oil was coming from the rear crank seal/O-ring, more than likely there would be a stain along the right side engine to transmission case seam. If it is clean you are back to all that has been talked about. But as mentioned. You will have to replace this at some point (the 19x4mm O-ring at the crank shaft to transmission connection). Make an offer based on all these conversations.
I don't think a person can buy this series bike with out keeping in mind that the O-ring job will have to be done at some point. They are 15 year old machines, plenty of work needs to be done to them to bring them back to a dependable bike. No free lunch.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #8 of 10 Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 2:37 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Mine looked that way once and I cleaned it off really good and it never came back. Really the only way to know is to clean it really good and see what happens. A small particle of dirt under the oil filter cover o-ring can produce a nasty leak like that as well as all the other things mentioned. I would buy it if the price is right.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #9 of 10 Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 6:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Mine looked that way once and I cleaned it off really good and it never came back. Really the only way to know is to clean it really good and see what happens. A small particle of dirt under the oil filter cover o-ring can produce a nasty leak like that as well as all the other things mentioned. I would buy it if the price is right.
I would definitely do a good test ride and a few 5th gear roll-on tests for clutch integrity.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #10 of 10 Old Oct 24th, 2018, 1:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hi YD , the oil filter cover is a plate on the bottom of the oil pan . A lot of people when they change the oil just take the screws loose a little on the cover and let the oil drain out. You have 4 QT more or less that come out. Once the oil is out you can get up in the hole and change the oil filter. It is a messy business and if you don't clean it up good, it can look nasty. Also, if you don't clean the O ring and the grove it goes in real good that can leak to add to the mess.

Forward of the of filter cover , on the front of the motor is the oil/water pump & it can leak too . I have seen bikes that leave a puddle from the leak up on the pump.

As I remember, The oil level on these bike is a little above the bottom of the rear main seal, but to over fill until it came out would take a lot of oil.
I hope this is of some help.

-----------------------------------
Quote:
Greetings everyone,
Thank you for your thoughts.
I do find it interesting that the outside of the oil filter cover is oily, as well as the area in front of it. This could suggest an oil filter cover leak, but even if so, how did the oil get forward of the cover? Is there another likely source more towards the front of the bike?
Also, if it was such a leak, wouldn't the electric/hydraulic center stand actuator be oily as well? It doesn't appear to be.
And, what is the function of the very small switch at the to of the center stand shown in the last photo that is entirely oil soaked?

Further, if the oil was coming from anything other than the oil cover wouldn't you expect it to also make the areas of the bike further behind/towards the rear of the bike, also be oily? They are not.

Lastly, just for argument sake, could the bike have been carelessly filled (or overfilled) with oil and the residue spilled onto the outside of the cases and run down them?

Thank you for considering all my questions , as I only have these pics of the oil leak, and the bike is a long distance from my home and not easy to investigate again.

YD

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in