2002 vs. 2005 - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 9:49 am Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 4
Red face 2002 vs. 2005

Greetings,
I'm new to the forum and considering purchasing either a 2002 or 2005 LT.
Can anyone tell me the difference between the 2 bikes, if any?

Thanks!

YD
Yamahadrummer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 10:17 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,144
Re: 2002 vs. 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahadrummer View Post
Greetings,
I'm new to the forum and considering purchasing either a 2002 or 2005 LT.
Can anyone tell me the difference between the 2 bikes, if any?

Thanks!

YD
3 years.

I forget all of the differences, but here are a few for the later model:

1. EHCS centerstand
2. Higher HP due to increased compression, larger throttle body and I think maybe a difference cam profile
3. Different front suspension geometry to supposedly improve low-speed handling, but at the expense of no longer being recommended for use with radial tires.
4. Different dash with LCD display
5. I can’t remember what year the servo assisted brakes came into being, but I think it was late 04 or 05 so the 2003 likely does not have the more troublesome servo brake iABS system, but others here will confirm that as I am not 100% on this one.

Personally, I like the additional capability of the later model, particularly the dash, HP and EHCS. However, many like the simplicity of the earlier models’ ABS and manual centerstand. All depends on what you like.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 10:38 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Victoria, BC, CANADA
Posts: 182
Re: 2002 vs. 2005

It just so happens I have a 2002 and a 2005 1200LT in my garage. I was having the same dilemma in deciding to keep my farkled out 2002, (bought new, extremely well maintained) or make a change.
Bought a 2005 with 37000 kms (23000 mi) on it on a whim, but really still deciding which to keep.
The 2 bikes are very similar in a lot of ways but also very different in a lot of ways. One big difference is the power centre stand on 2005, really like it, but from what I am seeing on the site, prone to failure
Still struggling with BMW quality issues
A lot of trim (not all), accessories, brake parts (ABS different), drive train components except diff will transfer over but electronics, radio dash etc are all different, no crazy about temp and fuel gauge location
It has a little more power 6hp I think, you do feel difference but it is marginal. It handles a little better at lower speed (changed front end rake I think, and the seat is lower (not really a good thing because it puts you in a pocket, you can not move around much also bends knees a little more which is a concern for me (6ft 1 in), have a drivers peg lowering kit to put on. They both handle the same above 5 mph, braking is same.
dodgeman88 is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 1:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,144
Re: 2002 vs. 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeman88 View Post
It just so happens I have a 2002 and a 2005 1200LT in my garage. I was having the same dilemma in deciding to keep my farkled out 2002, (bought new, extremely well maintained) or make a change.
Bought a 2005 with 37000 kms (23000 mi) on it on a whim, but really still deciding which to keep.
The 2 bikes are very similar in a lot of ways but also very different in a lot of ways. One big difference is the power centre stand on 2005, really like it, but from what I am seeing on the site, prone to failure
Still struggling with BMW quality issues
A lot of trim (not all), accessories, brake parts (ABS different), drive train components except diff will transfer over but electronics, radio dash etc are all different, no crazy about temp and fuel gauge location
It has a little more power 6hp I think, you do feel difference but it is marginal. It handles a little better at lower speed (changed front end rake I think, and the seat is lower (not really a good thing because it puts you in a pocket, you can not move around much also bends knees a little more which is a concern for me (6ft 1 in), have a drivers peg lowering kit to put on. They both handle the same above 5 mph, braking is same.
I think it is 17 HP difference. 99 to 116 as I recall. It is mostly at high RPM so probably little difference in normal riding. Unless your normal riding keeps the RPM above 6,000.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 2:47 pm
Senior Member
 
bmwcoolk1200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,995
Re: 2002 vs. 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I think it is 17 HP difference. 99 to 116 as I recall. It is mostly at high RPM so probably little difference in normal riding. Unless your normal riding keeps the RPM above 6,000.
Servo brakes came in at 2002 US models ( late 01 possibly for some I think Sailor may have said) and the location of the fluid reservoirs changes I think in 05 from under the seat to on top of the ABS unit itself but 02 on has servo brakes. My 01 does not. If you are buying an 02 on, would probably go with the newer of the two depending on maintenance, mileage and farkles keeping in mind the no radials after 05 as that limits the tire choices even more than the scant few with proper fitment.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwcoolk1200 is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old Nov 23rd, 2018, 4:11 am
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 19
Re: 2002 vs. 2005

05 is more modern and provides a bit more comfort
02 is a bit more reliable
paveltlc is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2002 ACCESSORIES SWAP TO 2009? dodgeman88 K1200LT 1 Aug 16th, 2018 11:33 am
Replace 2002 Instrument Cluster with 2007? john_loucks K1200LT 8 Jan 30th, 2018 4:03 am
Swap 2005 engine to 2002 K1200LT? john_loucks K1200LT 8 May 4th, 2012 4:14 pm
2002 LT vs 2005 LT help mos K1200LT 4 Jul 20th, 2007 11:37 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome