• 1 Post By Voyager
  • 2 Post By norton
  • 2 Post By norton
  • 1 Post By norton

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Oct 15th, 2018, 10:03 am Thread Starter

Broke My Pristine Baby

Hi guys,

Been away from the site for awhile, checked in a few times, but started back working (to damn busy for a supposedly retired guy) and my riding slowed down this year. Anyway the SO and I went for a ride yesterday and we were going up a friends long driveway at 10 mph and I did not notice on the curve there was a thin layer of mud. The bike went down so fast I didn't know what hit me. My ankle got slightly twisted, raspberry on the knee, torn elbow on jacket (elbow protection saved elbow) and the SO landed on top of me with only a sore wrist, scraped finger and torn glove. The bikes crash bar did its job, but the cover got scraped pretty bad and the shifter side foot peg took most of the impact and broke the mounting plate in half. When I figured out we were mostly OK except my ego, I, with the help of SO picked up the bike. I tried getting it out of first gear but the front half of the shifter mount plate which was now only attached buy the two fairing screws did nothing. I took out the two fairing screws and pulled the broken mount with the sifter out from the fairing to try and move the shifter link rod and get it in neutral. Nothing was happening. Called my son who picked us up, I brought back my trailer and had to hold in the clutch to roll it into the trailer. I have not unloaded it an tore it down yet, ankle still to sore. I''m hoping that one of the shifter linkage rods broke and that is all that is wrong. My fear though is that the shifter was driven up by the fall and screwed up something in the transmission. What do you mechanics think could of happened if the shifter was shoved up when I fell. The shifter lever is not bent so I'm just curious what possibly may of happened inside they trans.

I'll keep you guys informed because if I caused transmission damage I will probably sell it if repairs costs are crazy high. I'll probably ask the local BMW shop to look at it and give me an estimate to fix it if I can't. I'm not a good enough mechanic to fix a major repair. The shame is my 2007 LT has 29,000 miles of babied care, I had pampered and maintained this bike wanting to keep it for a long time. It had $6,000 dollars worth of factory installed farkles that suited my every need.

Sorry for the long winded post, just had to talk about it, still do not feel much better.
Patric likes this.

Scott
2007 LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Oct 15th, 2018, 10:10 am

Re: Broke My Pristine Baby

Easy to pull the linkage circle clips to separate the final bar.
My guess is it should be OK.
Sounds like she fell on her left and bent the shift petal rendering it inoperable.
Good luck.
Patric and beech like this.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old Oct 15th, 2018, 10:54 am

First of all, sorry for what happened, but I'm glad that you and your SO are mostly OK. That's what's important.

Your bike, per your description is completely fine.
The shift linkage is very complex, but once you remove the cover, you'll find how to engage the gears. Nothing happened to your tranny.

Everything else, you can get from bikes that are being parted-out or eBay.

Now you have a project and there's no greater joy than making your beloved bike come back to life.

Cheers!
Patric and Munmi like this.

----------------------------------------------------
BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW K1200R: "Drophammer" 2006
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
Sachs MadAss FY125-20
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)

-----------------------------------------------------

post #4 of 15 Old Oct 15th, 2018, 11:22 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
Hi guys,

Been away from the site for awhile, checked in a few times, but started back working (to damn busy for a supposedly retired guy) and my riding slowed down this year. Anyway the SO and I went for a ride yesterday and we were going up a friends long driveway at 10 mph and I did not notice on the curve there was a thin layer of mud. The bike went down so fast I didn't know what hit me. My ankle got slightly twisted, raspberry on the knee, torn elbow on jacket (elbow protection saved elbow) and the SO landed on top of me with only a sore wrist, scraped finger and torn glove. The bikes crash bar did its job, but the cover got scraped pretty bad and the shifter side foot peg took most of the impact and broke the mounting plate in half. When I figured out we were mostly OK except my ego, I, with the help of SO picked up the bike. I tried getting it out of first gear but the front half of the shifter mount plate which was now only attached buy the two fairing screws did nothing. I took out the two fairing screws and pulled the broken mount with the sifter out from the fairing to try and move the shifter link rod and get it in neutral. Nothing was happening. Called my son who picked us up, I brought back my trailer and had to hold in the clutch to roll it into the trailer. I have not unloaded it an tore it down yet, ankle still to sore. I''m hoping that one of the shifter linkage rods broke and that is all that is wrong. My fear though is that the shifter was driven up by the fall and screwed up something in the transmission. What do you mechanics think could of happened if the shifter was shoved up when I fell. The shifter lever is not bent so I'm just curious what possibly may of happened inside they trans.

I'll keep you guys informed because if I caused transmission damage I will probably sell it if repairs costs are crazy high. I'll probably ask the local BMW shop to look at it and give me an estimate to fix it if I can't. I'm not a good enough mechanic to fix a major repair. The shame is my 2007 LT has 29,000 miles of babied care, I had pampered and maintained this bike wanting to keep it for a long time. It had $6,000 dollars worth of factory installed farkles that suited my every need.

Sorry for the long winded post, just had to talk about it, still do not feel much better.
That’s a bummer, but glad you all are OK and the gear did its job. I doubt you hurt the transmission as I think the shift lever and linkage are designed to be a “fuse” in that regard. Likely just need to replace the plate and maybe shift lever and a linkage bit or two if they got bent.
Patric likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old Oct 15th, 2018, 6:31 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply's and encouragement. I ordered a used shifter mounting plate off ebay. I am happy you guys think that the tranny is still good, and will tackle the dis-assemble tomorrow. Thanks again for the input.
Patric and kbob12 like this.
post #6 of 15 Old Oct 15th, 2018, 6:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Thanks for the reply's and encouragement. I ordered a used shifter mounting plate off ebay. I am happy you guys think that the tranny is still good, and will tackle the dis-assemble tomorrow. Thanks again for the input.
That's the spirit!
...'glad you and yours survived the ordeal... it could have been much worse!
Hopefully, those in the know have suggested the solutions to your woes and you are back on the road lickety-split!

Bob
Covina, CA
2000 K1200LTI Champagne

post #7 of 15 Old Oct 15th, 2018, 11:06 pm

Sorry to hear of your mishap but glad you and you SO are ok!!

Let us know how you make out and if other parts are needed as we always have spares rather than dealer dime.

M

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #47511
2015 F700GS - For my better half whenever I'm not using it!
2007 K1200LT - Nice now!
2003 R1150GS -Black Beauty (sold)
2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby (sold)
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird (sold)
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
post #8 of 15 Old Oct 16th, 2018, 4:11 am

Quote:
My guess is the shifter plate and something in the linkage is damaged. Taking off the plate and accessing the linkage is simple.If your unsure. Go to BMW Motorrad club of northern illinois web page. Kirk Johnson the club President makes how to videos. Go to maint/repair videos.Then ,in the heading theres a choice for Kbikes. Theres one that Walks you through the shift linkage on the LT. Super simple to do.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #9 of 15 Old Oct 16th, 2018, 3:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If you find the parts needed try https://re-psycle.com/

They have used parts substantially discounted from the BMW dealers fiche. I know they parted out a NEW 2000 LT and the parts you may need are probably the same as the 2000.

You can go to https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/partsfiche.aspx to verify part numbers.

Good luck and glad there were no serious injuries to you or your SO/Pillion!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #10 of 15 Old Oct 18th, 2018, 7:27 pm Thread Starter

Update on Babies injuries:

I received the foot peg/shifter plate today, that I bought on Ebay for $49 including peg, shifter lever and shipping, new, if you can get one are $217.00+. This one is not as nice as mine but OK until I find one in better condition. Trans was OK. Shifter linkage was OK. Lower fairing gouged pretty bad will look for one of those. Crash bar plastic cover really ground through, need one of those. I had peg lowering kit installed and the aluminum lowering block has a little bit ground off the bottom edge, I can dress up and use. I also had highway pegs mounted to the crash bars and the front bottom edge of the peg has a little road rash but is OK. All in all I was lucky. I'll have her on the road this weekend. It amazes me how tough and well designed the crash system works, I didn't even scratch the chrome on the rear luggage compartment door. If you guys know where any of the parts are I need, let me know. I will look on Beemer boneyard, Ebay again, and PMitchells suggested sites.

Thanks for the help.

Scott
PMitchell and kbob12 like this.

Scott
2007 LT
post #11 of 15 Old Oct 19th, 2018, 7:00 am

I have the lower fairing in silver and plastic crash bar covers if you can't find them locally (I'm in Canada).

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #47511
2015 F700GS - For my better half whenever I'm not using it!
2007 K1200LT - Nice now!
2003 R1150GS -Black Beauty (sold)
2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby (sold)
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird (sold)
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
post #12 of 15 Old Oct 19th, 2018, 5:46 pm Thread Starter

I'm interested can you PM me with what you want for them and what kind of shape they are in.
Thanks Scott
post #13 of 15 Old Oct 19th, 2018, 11:43 pm

Glad you guys are ok. My LT has taken a few naps. One on grass and a couple on pavement with no real damage done. The engineers built these bikes to sleep on their sides - that should tell us something.
I was riding along yesterday and there was a short bit of gravel road for me to traverse. I'll take on the occasional gravel road to get stares from the locals - lol. So, I hit this gravel figuring it is like other roads - NOPE. I went into fresh laid gravel about four inches deep or more and it was loose. My big girl was wobbling around like a woman in her 40th week of pregnancy fighting her way through a crowd of people to get to the buffet line only to realize she has to go to the bathroom and wobbles awkwardly toward the "little girls room." Fortunately, my angels were awake and on the job to keep the bike up.
I know how to pick the bike up and am good at it with a bolt of angry endorphins fueling my muscles to get 'er up after a stupid mistake. But, working in that gravel pit would have been miserable and might have required a phone call. Despite all of the many German necessary nuances, these are incredible machines and built tougher than one would think.

Current Ride: '02 LT - The Mistress
post #14 of 15 Old Oct 20th, 2018, 5:08 pm Thread Starter

"Shes on the road again!" I got her put back together and took a test ride today, felt so good my 5 mile test ride ended up being 20 miles long. SO was pissed, thought I broke down since I said I would be right back. Anyway the replacement Shifter plates chrome is a little rough, came off a 2001. I had to drill and tap the shifter ball hole out so I could put in the larger 8mm-1.25 ball stud. I polished what was left of the chrome and put it back on the bike. Cleaned up the ride crash grime off her and hit the road. Man I love this machine, it is so much fun to ride. Anyway I'm still looking for a left shifter plate, lower left fairing and left crash bar cover in good shape, if any one sees them somewhere I'd appreciate letting me know.

Thanks again for all the encouragement and help.

Scott
guitarjim likes this.

Scott
2007 LT
post #15 of 15 Old Oct 21st, 2018, 3:32 pm Thread Starter

Guys,

Still looking for a left side shifter/footrest mounting plate in good condition if anyone has one or knows where I can get one please PM me.

Thanks Scott

Scott
2007 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in