Recalibration of fuel gauge needed - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Ricky Chuck
  • 3 Post By sailor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Sep 16th, 2018, 8:17 am Thread Starter

Recalibration of fuel gauge needed

My Fuel warning light comes on long after miles to empty indication is 0. Is there a way of recalobrating the fuel low warning light or is it the gas gauge that needs to be corrected? I’ve used the odometer to also check my fuel and it seems the miles to empty is correct. Thanks

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #47511
2015 F700GS - For my better half whenever I'm not using it!
2007 K1200LT - Nice now!
2003 R1150GS -Black Beauty (sold)
2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby (sold)
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird (sold)
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Sep 16th, 2018, 9:45 am

Garage
Re: Recalibration of fuel gauge needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1150gs View Post
My Fuel warning light comes on long after miles to empty indication is 0. Is there a way of recalobrating the fuel low warning light or is it the gas gauge that needs to be corrected? I’ve used the odometer to also check my fuel and it seems the miles to empty is correct. Thanks
Hi, I am new to the LT bike but my 1150RT did the same thing you mention (although no trip computer for miles to empty). I was very wary of going that low on fuel. I discovered on other sites there were two things going on...there is a fuel level sensor and there is a low-fuel float that turns on the light. The float for the light on my RT was the one on the fuel filter assembly and even though I was always careful it seemed to get bumped now and then but it did this when I first got the bike. I went so far as to empty the fuel out of the tank when it came on and I had about 3/4 of a gallon or more in the tank even though my bars were gone. I never tried to replace it. You probably know all this, apologies for newbie chatter, lol, I was in your shoes. Here is the pic of my RT's setup, now I want to know how the LT works although I did see a Kirk video that showed virtually the same tube setup that apparently governs how many bars we have.

I thought about trying to slightly tweak the float by bending it just a tad but chickened out, lol.

Update: Props for Sailor's post, I should have kept quiet . Great info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1150rtfloats.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	281.1 KB
ID:	147949  
beech likes this.

Oklahoma City, OK. 2003 K1200 LT. "Remember men, if the women don't find ya handsome, at least let 'em find ya handy." Red Green

Last edited by Ricky Chuck; Sep 16th, 2018 at 3:28 pm.
post #3 of 5 Old Sep 16th, 2018, 10:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1150gs View Post
Unlike some boxers models, the K1200LT does NOT have the same design float arm that you can change or bent (that would affect the calibration warning).

The dash warning calibration is embedded electronically into a special relay unit. You can change the setting yourself by using a wire grounded from the Diagnostic connector under seat. Be careful that you choose the correct pins !!
The procedure is documented here in more detail on the HexCode web site (the GS911 folks):
https://www.hexcode.co.za/techinfo/t...n-ma2.4-models
This procedure affects the "low fuel" warning on dash, but may `NOT have any effect on the "miles to empty" digital readout.

A LOT MORE INFO and Photos can be found in a previous thread - same subject and question:
https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt...libration.html
beech, Ricky Chuck and kbob12 like this.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Last edited by sailor; Sep 16th, 2018 at 10:44 am.

post #4 of 5 Old Sep 16th, 2018, 7:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chuck View Post
Hi, I am new to the LT bike but my 1150RT did the same thing you mention (although no trip computer for miles to empty). I was very wary of going that low on fuel. I discovered on other sites there were two things going on...there is a fuel level sensor and there is a low-fuel float that turns on the light. The float for the light on my RT was the one on the fuel filter assembly and even though I was always careful it seemed to get bumped now and then but it did this when I first got the bike. I went so far as to empty the fuel out of the tank when it came on and I had about 3/4 of a gallon or more in the tank even though my bars were gone. I never tried to replace it. You probably know all this, apologies for newbie chatter, lol, I was in your shoes. Here is the pic of my RT's setup, now I want to know how the LT works although I did see a Kirk video that showed virtually the same tube setup that apparently governs how many bars we have.

I thought about trying to slightly tweak the float by bending it just a tad but chickened out, lol.

Update: Props for Sailor's post, I should have kept quiet . Great info.
Hey Ricky,

Thanks for your reply, no apologies required. This forum is made for people to exchange information so never keep quiet!

BMWMOA - #47511
2007 K1200LT - Nice now!
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
post #5 of 5 Old Sep 16th, 2018, 7:35 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Unlike some boxers models, the K1200LT does NOT have the same design float arm that you can change or bent (that would affect the calibration warning).

The dash warning calibration is embedded electronically into a special relay unit. You can change the setting yourself by using a wire grounded from the Diagnostic connector under seat. Be careful that you choose the correct pins !!
The procedure is documented here in more detail on the HexCode web site (the GS911 folks):
https://www.hexcode.co.za/techinfo/t...n-ma2.4-models
This procedure affects the "low fuel" warning on dash, but may `NOT have any effect on the "miles to empty" digital readout.

A LOT MORE INFO and Photos can be found in a previous thread - same subject and question:
https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt...libration.html
Thanks Sailor, great to know we have your knowledge and appreciation for our mutual passion!

M

BMWMOA - #47511
2007 K1200LT - Nice now!
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in